Genesis / Mega Drive / Mark V Thread

GENESIS DUZ

WHAT NINTENDON'T

Other urls found in this thread:

mijet.eludevisibility.org/
files.scene.org/view/parties/2013/evoke13/wild/titan-overdrivemegademo-v1.1-final.zip
soundcloud.com/user-386122191/gley-lancer-stage-1
soundcloud.com/user-386122191/herzog-zwei-there-is-no-time-to-lose
segaretro.org
info.sonicretro.org/
segaretro.org/Comparison_of_Sega_Mega_Drive_emulators
segaretro.org/
info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Classic_Heroes
info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_3_Complete
romhacking.net/?page=translations&genre=&platform=11&status=&languageid=12&perpage=20&title=&author=&transsearch=Go
romhacking.net/faq/
romhacking.net/translations/2309/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Genesis titles had some of the most interesting OSTs you can find out there.

Just listen to this shit.
What the fuck is this?
It's like i'm listening to proto NIN or something, crazy shit.

Agreed; I think the Genesis games with the best sound tracks realized they couldn't get the "elegant" feel of the SNES, and just went in the total opposite direction: Crunchy hyperactive techno.

Except continue to exist.

Honestly at this point many nintendo fans wish nintendo would be dead, too.

It has the most unique music despite the sound chip being inferior.

Amazing stuff.

what is this

It's only inferior in the sample department. The SNES can't produce sharp and clear sounds like the Genesis.

Allow me to share the most technically impressive Sega Genesis, nay, 16 bit game of all time. If you haven't played it yet, give it a try and you may find a new favorite!

it can produce great sound, but the 99% of games that used the nintendo sound drivers honestly sound like its coming from a tin can. The YM2612 is one of the best sound chips ever used for video games however.

And every third party Genesis game that used GEMS instead of a custom sound engine also sounded like complete shit (see pretty much every western produced Genesis game).

Jap devs at least knew how to use the chip.

Also, while Panorama Cotton is technically impressive, it's not that fun to play due to the low framerate. Same thing with Super Hang-On, After Burner 2 and other similar games that are much better on arcade or 32x/Saturn.

If you want to play a technically impressive game that also plays fluidly, try Ranger-X.

there may be some decent GEMS games out there, but largely the best sounding ones were Japanese games. It is no surprise this is the case, Japanese developers always had more interest and dedication to their craft.

Panorama Cotton is still a very enjoyable game, while the framerate can be poor at times, there is plenty to enjoy. Something being super fluid doesn't necessarily equate to it being well designed. It's a desirable trait, but to a point, not a necessary one.

It may just not be exactly my type of game then. When I want to shoot shit up, I usually play M.U.S.H.A. or Thunder Force IV(Lightening Force in the US)

Great games there. Although I don't think Panorama Cotton is the best in the series (that belongs to Cotton Boomerang on the Saturn!), it is however a game absolutely worth checking out.

Here's another worth checking out, a visual and audio behemoth! Those who tell you FMV games are worthless, show them this.

What?… I am still playing on my Genesis, so in fact it still exists.

Truxton, a shmup.

My bad, when people were mentioning stuff as potential additions, in retrospect I think someone had typoed it when they brought it up. I'll fix that up for the future.

You also need to add Battle Mania: Daiginjou, it's even better than the first game.

Yeah, I still need to play Silpheed.

It's complete on ebay for like 20 bucks, worth it if you got the hardware + want a kickass collectors item.

I have it on the rtf already; that screenshot that guy posted is old.

LOL

Kid Chameleon is still in my Top 10 favorite platformers.

their analysis would be interesting if they just cut the dumb skits

I thought EA did alright with desert strike

The genesis red looked like shit compared to the megadrive blue

Nigger kill yourself. The Mega Drive stripe looked like a generic border written in some phony metallic techno font. The Genesis stripe was classy.

If only we could have gotten the Genesis's 3D hacking mechanics with the SNES's… well… everything else.

Hey niggers, westerners knew how to use GEMS too

Dude, that's Jesper Kyd. He also did MDK2, Freedom Fighters, Hitman, Kane & Lynch, and Assassin's Creed.

It's not inferior, it's just different. SNES has a sampler, and Genesis has a synthesizer.

Yes, there's benefits to both. The more skilled composers easily got more out of the Genesis over the SNES. It's the idea that it's more difficult to master, and there's tools to make it easy, but if you dedicate yourself you can make greatness.

Has chart user worked on a Genesis list?

Still just an rtf at this point; need to start sorting things into genres. Could use some help trying to decide on a color scheme for the tab/image backgrounds. Doesn't exactly help that there seems to have been a fair bit of variation between the banners for Genesis/Mega Drive games.

considering how Black & Red were prominent colors for all genesis models, it's a good place to start. Maybe not something as harsh as pure black, but a dark grey.

You can bump up the Genesis CPU clock in MAME with cheats enabled for no slowdown.

Even the original logo looks better, I'm glad I grew up with the superior design.

So any new homebrew for the system, or any new add-ons to it?

Long while ago there was murmurs about an online component coming back to the system, but suppose that died.

I wasn't aware Sonic All Star Racing Transformed was made by a company that didn't exist!

Agreed, Mega Drive > Gaynesis.

Go fuck yourself you retarded weeaboo.

Earthworm Jim sounds great but Vectorman sounds pretty mediocre.

And Vectorman is also a pretty mediocre game

I'd thought of using a blue for it (albeit a different one than the dark blues I've been using with the PSP one), but I think that might cause issues with the variance of colored banners; some covers would likely show up well again it, but others (like games PAL got that the US didn't, and as such would use the blue Mega-Drive covers) might be prone to getting a little lost.

Snes is better you poorfag scrubs.

I'm ashamed to admit I've never heard of Twinkle Tale. I only played Streets of Rage 2, obligatory Sonic shit, and Bloodlines. Is it good?

Comix Zone will always be my favorite STI game.

Kid's pretty good too, though.

SNES allowed actual instrument samples, the genesis uses FM Synth and had 6 channels, very few devs knew how to use it or even cared enough, the few that did though made that motherfucker sing.

Basically Konami and Sega themselves for the most part.

Oh, on the topic of Battle Mania, for the first game is the western version acceptable (according Wikipedia it saw a release here as "Trouble Shooter"), or is it a game where it would be best to go with the Japanese original? Wanting to know what cover I ought to be grabbing to represent it.

You could have samples on the Mark V as well, however they were limited to 8-bit mono samples.

Listen to the drums in this song.

I said it multiple times in the thread already, but every Genesis fan needs to try those three JP exclusives: Twinkle Tale, Battle Mania: Daiginjou and Gley Lancer.

You can find translation patches for those games here:
mijet.eludevisibility.org/

If you're gonna make a recommendation picture and you're also gonna include Daiginjou, I think it might be a good idea to choose the Battle Mania cover for consistency. Though you should also include the US title. (Something like Battle Mania/Trouble Shooter)

Same thing for Thunder Force IV, which is called Lightening Force in the US. (Thunder Force IV/Lightening Force).

And for the JP exclusives section, you should include the link above.

Right, I'll make note of that and go for that JP cover.

Annoying.

Nigga…

Fuck, I forgot about that, sorry

Also, to double check, is this the official cover for Desert Strike here in the US? It's the one that keeps cropping up when searching (and while I am seeing a red bannered one, the fact the "Genesis" label is so far down on it makes me suspect it's a fan mock-up, or something instead), but it seems so different from the formatting of other game covers for the system that I can't be sure.

I think it's official one. You have to remember that EA also had some weird ass Genesis cartridges so it wouldn't surprise me if their boxes were also non-standard.

The Wii virtual console version runs on the Mega Everdrive. Excellent translation, to boot.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind.

Few first stage tunes can get you as pumped as Golden Axe's 'Wilderness'.
Good times.

The C64 version is also surprisingly good.

Beat Golden Axe 3 the other day, that was a damn good belt scroller. Not sure why everybody shits on that one.

Is it worth getting an overclock sorted for my Mega Drive anons? Does it fix much?

It removes slowdown from Megaman: The Wily Wars and Thunder Force IV, I've noticed.

Both are legit iirc. EA and accolade(the bubsy assholes) were known for producing unauthorized genesis carts.

eh, Sega CD is much better.

No.

FM synth for lyfe.

I take it you didn't actually watch the video?

Sounds exactly like the Arcade version.

The System 16 arcade board also used FM Synth (YM2151 chip). The Genesis actually used an inferior chip (the YM2612)

keep in mind fox and falco are as "original" as cpt. falcon's moveset

Well fuck my asshole and mouth and pussy and armpit, I didn't expect a CD game to actually respect the source material. Like the Ecco CD versions.

Well, it's not like Ecco has an arcade version. And they had to change the soundrack to justify the CD version.

I like Wilderness for being loud but that's a pretty nice version.

I played GA3 once or twice in emulator, don't remember much of it. I guess people were miffed that Revenge of Death Adder didn't get a home port.

This game is great. I still don't understand why it didn't get a CD, 32x or Saturn version.

Revenge of Death Adder*

Goddamnit.

Cuz Sega is retarded sometimes.

They didn't port Planet Harriers or OutRunners to consoles either.

I'm not familiar with how the Sega CD works, but wouldn't have been possible to keep both in? I know it's possible with the Turbo CD.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. I don't remember if they included that option in Ecco though.

kek

SEGA DOES WHAT CUCKTENDONT

Fuck off, Jimbo.

Being a Britfag is suffering.

More fun with looking for decent cover arts. Fucking why on the first, and fucking how on the second.

On that note, I've got Mortal Kombat on the list, but I'm not sure exactly which that was referring to at this point (whether it was meant as the first one or all of them or what), considering it looks like the system saw three different ones, plus Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. Anyone got any input so I can make sure I grab the right cover(s) for what's worthwhile?

I made a list of top 20 games to play with your bro, co-op style.

Golden Axe 3
Streets of Rage 2
Intense Martial Transition
Sunset Fighters
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Soldiers of Fortune
Biohazard Battle
Air Busters
Gunstar Heroes
Contra Hard Corps
Puyo Pop 2
Pac-Attack
Snow Bros.
Wani World
OutRunners
Quad Challenge
Dodge Danpei
ACME All-Stars
Mega Bomberman
Pepen ga Pengo

IIRC, The first four covers on the second image are all legit.

I don't see why you should include all three games

It's the best but SoR 1 is also good and the Japanese version of SoR 3 (Bare Knuckle 3) isn't bad

shouldn't*

Yeah, I more or less posted that image questioning how Super Monkey Ball Step & Roll was a first page result for "Sega Genesis US Cover Mortal Kombat."

As far as Mortal Kombat, I'm just wondering how many to include (and if not all, which) since whoever mentioned the rtf needing it didn't specify a number, or something.

They are worth playing, yeah, but I only wanted to pick the cream of the crop.

SEGA CAN DO WHAT NINTENDON'T

Deleted after noticing the audio quality is shit.
If you want to see it, run that in an emulator or through an everdrive or something.

files.scene.org/view/parties/2013/evoke13/wild/titan-overdrivemegademo-v1.1-final.zip

Don't forget that the .zip also contains specific versions if you're using an emulator.

Definitely doable, considering the fact that Pier Solar - a homebrew game, allows you to pick from synth or CD audio when you hook a SCD to your console.

And Sub-Terrania, man that game was atmospheric as fuck.

Thanks for confirming what I said.

The pleasure's mine, I always take my time to inform others of their shit taste.

forget webm

Tecno-motherfucking-soft

Also Compile.

This is a way to start a game

Final of Puyo and Darkness of Puyo are so damn good.

I never found a good Youtube upload of this game's tracks. Even the one you posted has some fucked up volume levels or something. I almost want to upload some tracks myself because nobody is doing it properly.

Well do it, user.
I'd be pleased

I might be a lazy faggot and just upload them on soundcloud because I don't want to make a video.

Much better. I hate youtube.

Compare this to the youtube video to see what I was talking about:

soundcloud.com/user-386122191/gley-lancer-stage-1

Megaman X trilogy would've been 100x better on the Genesis.

That's pretty fucking good m8 👍

Everybody always talks about Thunder Force IV but Herzog Zwei also has some pretty good music.

soundcloud.com/user-386122191/herzog-zwei-there-is-no-time-to-lose

It's like they want autistic pedophiles to buy this game.

Wait, so when you buy a game, that means you want to fuck what's on the cover? Shit, I didn't know I'm pansexual. That means I even want to fuck tanks, planes and cars.

Taking a break after having sifted around for good quality cover arts for 112 games thus far for the chart (I get a bit autistic over stuff like that, so it can take a lot longer than grabbing the first cover I come across).

However, I could use a bit of help with a few things: of the two Monster World IV covers here, which one has the proper shades of the colors involved? Also, can anyone find a good quality US cover scan for Burning Force without the red marker/ink going across the bottom? I tried google multiple times early, but it seemed like everyone of them at half reasonable quality was just a copy of this marked scan at various dimensions.

Thanks. Sometimes things seem to get scanned in slightly differently, resulting in slight variation in color. I'll go with the darker one.

I saw some small thumbnail versions of that also come up, but nothing that seemed like a big one to use. Thanks.

Did you just google it, or specifically check somewhere?

I got them here:
segaretro.org

It looks like they have high res scans for pretty much every game.

Cool, thanks again. I'll keep that in mind if I need more in the future.

Oh and it looks like their Sonic stuff is only on their other site:
info.sonicretro.org/

It predates 2hu, you retard, if anything 2hu wanted the Twinkle Star audience.

I wish there was another Bloodlines

There was actually going to be one for the 32X, but that project got shitcanned and then absorbed into that terrible Metroidvania game instead.

Which one :^)

what do people use for mega drive emulation these days that isn't retroarch

Kega Fusion or Regen.

Fusion can emulate any pre-Saturn Sega console (including Genesis add-ons) but I believe Regen is a tiny bit more accurate.

I still remember when it was Kega Lazarus

man time flies don't it

Symphony of the Night. I would much rather have had another Classicvania, although SotN has cool bosses and a fucking amazing soundtrack.

It's better on dat Saturn as well if you can ignore the bad graphics.

I remember when people still used GENS. Now it's pretty much the ZSNES of Genesis emulators.

Top b8

Gens was only good for audio capturing since you could turn off different sound channels (DAC, Yamaha FM, etc) and adjust them accordingly. It was always a pile of ass that would fuck with monitor resolution every time you opened the program.

when I was working on a S2 romhack I used DebugGENS because it had a debugging tool for Sonic games

Gens has shit tier sound emulation though.

Oh and I guess this link is related to the discussion:

segaretro.org/Comparison_of_Sega_Mega_Drive_emulators

All the Saturn version has that's really worthwhile is playable Maria, which isn't worth all the downsides. Plus, the true definitive SotN would be the version on Dracula X Chronicles.

Not b8 m8.

user, if you're gonna post covers, at least post high rest ones from segaretro.org/

High-res*

I like both, depending on the rest of the box

i get them from the launchbox-pedia/emu-movies

Since multiple search engines turn up nothing good, and this definetly dosen't deserve its own thread. I ask, does anyone having a working link of translated and romhack sega genesis roms?

I know the translation scence for this system is kinda small, but I've been trying to find this for quite awhile.

fucking skeletons bullying me and throwing me off ledges

see

Thanks user but the big rompack of genesis games I have has the english roms of all those allready. Does anyone have a pack f genesis romhacks? I've been having the hardest time finding them.

Man that was an odd experience, also the start of my love for ero-shmups. Sadly haven't found much more in this genre other than Steam Hearts and Burunyan Man though.

The only romhacks I can think of are Sonic ones. I don't know where you could find a pack with all of them but I can recommend you those:

info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Classic_Heroes
info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_3_Complete

Golden Axe skells are always hard as fuck.

Wouldn't that be Genecyst? I remember using KGEN98 in DOS.

I'm pretty sure Gens is the most popular emulator of the early 00's. I remember pretty much everyone using it back then.

And guess what? All of that's pointless when it looks, sounds, and plays like ass compared to the PS1 version. It's like getting a steak and then ordering another one only to find the new steak is under cooked with hair in it because the restaurant had it cooked by a junior chef on his first day. Oh but to make up for it here's some side items and dessert so you'll ignore the shitty main dish.

Iga's disowned the Saturn port for a reason.

You should try the Saturn verison, it's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

This, go download SSF and HAVE AT YOU.

Who /follin/ here?

Always.

Actually the Genesis/Megadrive can play samples aswell as use the FM synth chip. The issue when it comes to using FM is not only expertise but a limitation of the Yamaha FM chip. Unlike modern synths the Yamaha only produced Sine Waves. If the Yamaha had Saw/Triangle/Square frequencies from the get go there would have been far more richer sounds from the FM chip. There could have been even more if the FM chip allowed for Single Cycle Waveforms and near endless possibilities if the waveforms were additive.

I've wrapped my head around this beast of a synth a few years ago and I can tell you that you can produce fairly realistic piano sounds, chorus sounds and even violin sounds. If the Genesis/Megadrive had these options there would be no contest who had the better sound, especially if Sega actually made some presets for developers/music artists to use.

My thick curly haired melanin enhanced friend

The closest you would get to this as far as I know is Acid Techno which was very popular in the 90's

Intredasting.

Bump

Man, every time I see beautiful Japanese cover art it saddens me how publishers always felt the need to redraw it badly for the western release back then.

Sega always made better arcade games tbh (pic related)

technically impressive considering their was no FX chip or Mode 7 but not really impressive considering other games on the market at the time. Star Fox was 1993 (also pic related was 1994)

there*

Mmmmmmm

Dem thighs

Just get an isp patcher
romhacking.net/?page=translations&genre=&platform=11&status=&languageid=12&perpage=20&title=&author=&transsearch=Go

if you have any more questions:
romhacking.net/faq/

was meant for

Here is an excellent example of that.

What the fuck is wrong with their hair?

Also

Ha acid remix of Mike Oldfield -Tubular Bells.

If you like that stuff user check out Jonny Blaze & Jondo – Bust It Like This. There isn't a audio recording online but if you have a turntable and like hardtrance then it's worth a pickup.

Not the only time it happened.

That's not English.

Lightening, or, to lighten, as in you lighten the load off something.

Makes sense to me.

It's a real word. Just Google it.

shit look cute af monica tbh

ya kno if genesis had metroids?

The music would have been great

nah nah not metroid metroidS fam lyk games

muh b fam

yoo let a nycka pos hot wheel

yo dat music hype af tho good post tbh

Doesn't make sense in that context though. They are using it like a noun, not a verb.

Monster World III and IV can be considered Metroidvanias.

There's also Ecco the Dolphins and Chakan, which have platforming and adventure elements, though you can't revisit old areas in the Ecco games.

remember NESticle

I've played it, and it's a shit port that definitely looks worse with shittier load times. PS1 version a best.

Just remembered a few Jap exclusive games that are pretty good. Magical Taruruuto-Kun & Pulseman

Some of the jobs are pretty bullshit, but this game's a really cool RPG/fighting game hybrid.

Seems like the team behind it took a lot of inspiration from it when they also made Shenmue.

>not posting high-res covers from segaretro.org/

Sorry for my autism

romhacking.net/translations/2309/
translation unfinished or "fully playable" with anything that is a RPG is a wast of time. Better off learning moon.

yo dat shit look cool af monjica noice

It's pretty damn great, my nigga.

yo dat nigga jus plowed thru w/ a truck fam?!

shieet not in my crib nycka hell naw

fightin look gud tho

Oh you betta believe it.

Pulseman is the shit. I have the cart, my cousin gave it to me long time ago, so I grew up with this game. Difficult as fuck, but damn I love the music.
Game Freak should stop dicking with Pokemon for a second and make Pulseman 2.

ayyo dis mickey d wuz pretty tyt tho tbh pimp'n

Wait, what? US/EU can take and run JP cartridges directly?

i think a niqqa head dey can all run da same carts/roms jus some ain't outfitted to actually hold da carts while some r monica. idk much about da non US 16-bit Sega

Bump

Pretty neat game, thanks user.

I have both a Mega Drive and a Genesis, but I can play it on the Gen just fine because there's no actual region check on Pulseman, unlike some games such as Golden Axe III.
Still, I have two cart extenders: One is a Mega Key 2 which can force regions, and the other is a straight-through 'protector' (that's what the label says) that I use in case the cart doesn't wanna fit or I'm going to play one of those lone chips that no longer have a plastic shell on them, so it'll be easier to remove them.

It's worth having one of these for your system.

Gaunlet IV has the best soundtrack as a Genesis game. Still blows my mind.

I'm toward the end and all the text was in English, there's only one part where you have to perform in front of children that is indecipherable jibberish (a bug?).

good stuff

Decap Attack > Magical Hat

OH FUCK

It's the Terminate-A-Hero!!

I still need to try that game.