PlayStation platformers thread

Which series did you like?

And how would you rank them?

For me on the PS2 it was R&C > Jak and Daxter > Sly

I hated how they decided to make another Sly only to end on a cliffhanger

Tomba was cute, medievil also

The big three were all good. Rankings are for autists. Ape escape and Tomba were great. Never played Jumping flash but I probably will because a lot of people seem to like it. Medievil was a fantastic game but it's not a platformer.

1st place every time

Ape Escape makes me rock hard

but Sly Cooper is kinda suck

-Medieval was great
-einhander was a challenge and i loved it
-Ape escape is the first game my mother bought me for my playstation and i loved it so god damn much
-Metal gear solid was great
-Spyro the dragon
I never played tomba fully just the demo on a pizza hut demo disk

Ape escape was great and the replay value was intense because of the weapon unlocks and specter coin mini games.

Medieval was similar but i liked how you would need to revisit areas to unlock more after finding items. Ive 100% that game many times.

Ratchet and Clank in my opinion was the number 1 best out of the three. It's a real shame that the comedic writing, charm and fucking music is gone in the modern titles. Up your Arsenal was the best game.

R&C 3 > R&C 2 > R&C 1

Sly 2 > Sly 3 > Sly 1

Jak and Daxter > Jak 3 > Jak 2

Jack and Daxter is amazing. First game that made me feel on a real world
That one guy on naughty dog that made the coding to remove loading screens is a genius. You could see any part of the game from any vantage point, looking down from the snow mountain or the citadel was amazing

Plus the game had a fuckton of originality on the whole precursors thing. Jack 3 tried to bring back the precursor tomb raider thing but the ending was so awful it almost ruins the entire game

Andy Gavins?
oh yeah and complete day and night cycle too

Fuck this game

They didn't remove them so much as created ways to do so without seeming to. Still brilliant.

What was wrong with Jak 3's ending?

In both TPL and Jak 2, we're always shown/teased on how Jak and Keira are close and have had multiple times where they try and kiss and end up getting cockblocked by Daxter. And then, in Jak 3, for some retarded reason Jak just gets it on with Ashlyn despite the fact that in the end of Jak 2 AND in parts of Jak X, Ashlyn is in a relationship with Torn. Hell, the fans got so mad about the relationship change in Jak 3 that ND actually changed it back to Keira where we finally see them kiss properly at the end.

That and also the ending vs Errol in Jak 3 was rather underwhelming, especially if you've got a fully charged nova.

I kinda wish there was a crossover about PS platformers but considering PS move heroes and Sony Smash, it could fail.

It's really obvious that some things like the boat to Misty Island and the elevators to and from the Precursor Ruins serve as loading zones. What they did is still impressive though I personally don't think the game is particularly amazing as a whole.

This. What the fuck.

I mean I could forgive it if there was a 5th game but at this point I doubt it.

How come Ape Escape 1 never got re-released on PSN? I remember playing that at a friends house and had an absolute blast. I sort of want to emulate that, especially since I hear mixed things on the PSP port

Tomba played really well. It just feels nice. Also fuck Sony for killing Ape Escape.

When you look at the state of the series, they like to assume it was never a platformer series to begin with, even with its history with the DualShock controller.

AE is Sony's Metroid in some way.

I wouldn't go that far. Sony just seemed to abandon the IP. Nintendo seems to almost take pleasure in seeing the metroid fans in pain.

Maybe it's a bit silly comparing it to Metroid, so i'd say the spin offs were more like Rayman's Rabbids or something.

Don't forget his cameo in PSASBR, at least Samus seems to be doing well in Smash, even with all the waifuism.

Not exactly a huge accomplishment. Not to mention if being in smash meant your IP doesn't die when where is the new F-Zero game? Sakamoto is still pissed that the west made a better metroid game than the creator of metroid and I feel like them shitting on the fans is just a byproduct of the salt. Sony gives no fucks one way or another about their vidya IP, Nintendo seems to revel in shitting on their current fans while pandering to their "new" fans.

Ok

It feels kinda nice knowing that they were that buttblasted about the game being legit good. Kinda like comparing Super Mario Bros. X to Mario Maker, there's no comparison.

I feel like Jak, Ratchet and Sly aren't nearly as good as we remember them being. Personally, replaying the Ratchet and Clank trilogy of games I found myself almost numb at the experience. There were no highs, it was like a steady stream of sugar, in a way. You grind for leveling up weapons, you grind for bolts for new weapons, the level design is mediocre, there's no challenge, and I'm applying this entirely to the first 3 games. I often hear it's the best of the 3 Western 3D platformers.

I was more confused about why they were buttblasted. I mean, they are a company at the end of the day. Isn't their goal to make a game that sells? Why would they hamstring their own IP because "STUPID GAJIN MAKE BETTER GAME THAN ME!". Not to mention the modern nintendo fan will actually talk shit about the Prime series because the creator of metroid was this upset about the positive reception the Prime series had.

It'll sound racist as fuck, but Japanese businessmen will sabotage their own company to maintain their twisted view of 'honour' (waitto piggu opinrion ishu RONGU) rather than do what actually sells. See; Konami, Capcom, in that they're so sure they're right in hat they're doing they feel the need to spite fans who would otherwise be paying customers if it wasn't a constant stream of 'fuck you, eat your turd on a plate like a good goy'. It's literally entitlement.

Meanwhile, Sega went ahead and HIRED people who were making these fantastic fangames, folks who are passionate when the businessmen couldn't care less.

Why was Pabst Blue Ribbon not a 3D brawler, a la Power Stone?

Capcom doesn't give a shit about Power Stone, and it's not like we're flooded with games like it. Most of these characters were never in anything but 3D games. Make it 3D, and you remove the unfavorable comparisons to Smash.

Hubris and pride isn't racist. Old japanese folk tend to have this problem for some reason. lolww2 You can see the same shit in other nations but unlike japan, shekels rule the western world.

Well then, you can play Deadlocked, where on difficulty 4, you usually lose about 80% of your life in 1 hit
there are 5 difficulties

I think it's more like half your health in damage, and nanotech heals for like 10% or something pitiful. Mostly I only find a few arena challenges and the missions at the very endgame to be difficult. The Holo-Shield glove can be used to get tons of easy kills on the typical missions on planets because the shield is so fucking huge. The wrench only arena challenge was definitely the hardest thing for me last time I played. It's a shame that so many of the weapons become useless or not nearly as useful as they should be lategame because they just don't do enough damage. What the fuck were they thinking with the B-6 bomb glove?

artificial difficulty isn't good design mate, I don't care how much health you lose, I care about interesting ways of engaging with the mechanics. Not strafing. The later ratchet games, focusing more with deadlocked and starting with 3, were more shooters than platformers.

Easiest way I found to handle that challenge was spam wrench throws against the little guys, and herd the big robots close enough to the edge that one hit with the wrench will knock them over the side.