MMO thred

I picked up the Secret World after years of just not playing any MMO. I had forgotten how comfy it can be to just burn away an afternoon in a zen-like state of mindless grinding.

What'cha playing lately, Holla Forums? Has it been scratching that itch?

Other urls found in this thread:

mirchronicles.com/
black-desert.com/articles/black-desert-how-we-were-expect-it-to-be-and-how-it-is-now/
archive.is/GjCnu
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also, the battle system was pure shit. Anything after the zombie island was boring .

Hope you are not trying to shill this.

It's nothing special, but I enjoy it well enough. Apparently I missed the shitstorm with the SJW writers because I had no idea.

explain? is there some sort of tumblr pronoun in there or somethign

I think Final Fantasy XIV is the only thing resembling a "traditional" MMO out there right now and it's not really to my taste. I have the secret world, but got the impression it's best feature was fucking…voice acting, which I'm inclined to skip as soon as I've read the text. Never played more than 15 hours.

Waiting on some new warcraft private servers, a couple of kickstarter MMOs to come out next year. Hopefully at least one is good

mmo's died when ffxi introduced itemlevel content.

now its a single player wankfest where 80% of the jobs are useless.

Is there any MMO that is CHEEKI BREEKI in SPHESS?

The Secret World has a few interesting things going for it, like the occasional puzzle quest that's actually well done and storylines that take you around to neat places to do interesting things.

Some of their puzzles are pure bullshit, which I imagine could have been rewarding to figure out on your own if they were so fucking obtuse and requiring you to just go to the internet and search random shit… When you could just look up the solution, as long as you're checking google anyways.

Letting Asians exist was a mistake.

Yes, yes there is.
It is called Skyforge, it is literally russian Tera.

But user, Warframe aka the king of grinding was made by canadians.

tigris and galatine prime will be mine god dammit.

>tfw no Bitch Prime to blow the heads off of space niggers with

I've been playing Trove
No other game I know off allows me to play as a plant wizard and it's surprisingly fun despite being as deep as a fucking paddling pool.

I also place pixel art of my waifu across the map in hopes that someone sees it and likes her too.

I miss my demon bros

What do girls wear in this if you take off their clothes?

I thought this got cancelled, because they couldn't live up to their promises or something. I guess it just released quietly and died a quick, painless death? The original concepts and stuff were back when I still got excited about video games.

I recently broke down and started playing on a Burning Crusade WoW private server because that was the last time I had any fun

It's ok. There was a massive spike in instability over the last day or so even though it ran more or less flawlessly the rest of the time I played.

RIP Imagine.

mmo was a mistake

I bet you're some burger, who's even less white.

I think galatine looks like shit, but Tigris is one beautiful gun. I just bought it with plat :^)

You was a mistake, mmo best genre. Grindan for lyfe.

EVE Online is the only MMO you fags should be playing. Where else can you blow up thousands of dollars in Goonswarm property?

used my last reserve of plat on the hunhow deal. there's no way i was giving up broken war to use war, especially now that ive got vengeful revenant.

3/4 of the pieces needed for nekros P, 2/3 for galatine and 1/4 for tigris.

fucking rngesus.

Modern MMOs fall into two categories:

- Do everything solo as if it was SP, MP interactions are optional/incidental

- Do everything as a group, have to put up with the worst scum humanity has to offer on a regular basis

been playing new essence league in PoE, technically not an MMO but the grind is there, and it's pretty fun tbh, i preffer it to the tab targetting of most mmos

No, I'm white human instead, Canuck.

- Do everything solo as if it was SP, MP interactions are optional/incidental
Because it's a good SP game? At this point I treat always online as a layer of DRM. At the end of the day such games tend to have more depth and higher production values than AAA games because of continuous updates and having good optimization being a must for an online game.
And then there are gems like DFO that just doesn't age because of art style and base gameplay loop. Even if you run out of content, return in a few months and you're basically getting another expansion worth of play time for free.

We're gonna need proof on that, burger-san.

But MMOs usually aren't.

MMOs are more often than not just shallow window dressing while the people you play with make the game any interesting.
And please, DFO is not a good game unless you really want to feel like you're doing combos without actually doing anything

I was mostly talking about the ones with good combat like Vindictus or PSO2. Hell even Black Desert is better action game than anything west shat out in the past 5 years. Or longer.

Unless you don't like beatemups it's a fantastic game. Actually it's a fantastic game even if you don't like beatemups.

This is important

Been thinking about getting into TOR, as stupid as that sounds. I'm just really into Star Wars, and haven't played an MMO since Burning Crusade.

Does The Secret World get updated much lately?

I used to play Guild Wars and GW2 up until they started that Living World bullshit. It showed how little they actually plan. I only return for holiday events, and I skipped last years.

the secret world is really fucking boring

It's a fairly decent game if you lower your expectations upon going into it.

You won't be getting a MMO. It's kinda just a cheesy Bioware game with Co op tacked on.

I've been disappointed with Black Desert Online because I heard it went full P2W, applying some features in the Korean version that were removed because the game wasn't free to play.

I just wanted to be a giant and make my home in the mountains while managing my business and selling my stuff to others.

Any good ones that I can have fun in without spending 1000hs in them

I'm hedging my bets on that new korean MMO that's supposed to come in 2017. Looks actually good for once with a clean CS.

It's a musou game, not an RPG. With that mindset I enjoyed it a great deal.
But if you want something different from killing armies of mobs or PvPing, then yeah, the game is lacking.

A lot of people end up hating MMOs because they go in expecting A, but get B and then quit.
Tell us what exactly do you want from MMO, and then I will suggest you something.
For example BDO is good if you want to concentrate on killing shit and aimlessly wandering through beautiful landscapes. It has pretty graphics, good combat engine and true seamless open world, where you can go anywhere right off the bat.
But apart from killing shit with your custom combos there isn't anything else to do. You can't be trader, or pirate or anything other than mob-killing machine.

I enjoy killing armies of mobs, but the game promised some actual deep trading and sandbox stuff.

user, the gooks copied the grindan mmos from us. We invented that.

Back in the day, it took months in a western MMO just to grind a single level.

And then they went out and said, "screw that we're going easy way, fuck nice things".
It was known before release, I'm not advocating them, but you can't say it's not your fault not doing your research before buying and online game.

Diablo paved the way of the grindan into the wide masses. It gave birth to the original korean MMOs of old.

Oh, didn't bought the game, just was a game I was really hyoed about. It is just a disappointment that a year after release it became so shit.

user, it became shit BEFORE the release.

I just had hope.

Any MMO's with combat that isn't boring or ass?

Legend of Mir 2 was the only good MMO I played. With a forced perspective isometric view and player killing everywhere it made hiding behind buildings and trees and ambushing scrubs with lightning a joy.

Every other MMO since has been a hugbox PVE and bullshit PVP arena pandering to pussies that can't keep a town teleport in their hotbar. Letting people kill anyone where ever you wanted beyond a couple of safe zones and a no drop area around traders meant it was actually possible to have villains in a genre that constantly tries to sell a fantasy of importance to thousands of people doing the exact same thing.

tbh I just love doing PVE with people. that's what I liked most about wow I was never a lone wolf I always wanted to get in a dungeon/raid whenever possible. I do minimal farming and I don't care about any role or class I just want to play coop with people.

Wildstar?

I'ma let you finish but Lineage II was the best MMO of ALL TIME.

anything similar beside tera?

EVE is going f2p. MMOs are finally kill.

underyoused post
This is exactly right. If there were a modern MMO that relied on communities, it would devolve into nothing but griefing, ninja looting and people spamming memes in every chat channel.

The crowd can't handle responsibility, which is a nice analogy to why Libertarianism could never work for the mainstream.

Trial accounts ≠ F2P

Pretending that everyone should be a mature, well educated and polite person in an MMO is foolish. Of course it's gonna be swarmed with kids, russians and BRs, but preventing yourself some kind of fun because "most" of "something" is "bad" is only going againist your self intrest. You could be having a blast the same way people who play MMO and other group games do, you form your own party of friends, either IRL or game-found, and you play with them while ignoring/fighting the rest of the people in that game.

It works like that literally everywhere.

You see? But i'll give you that single player thing, yeah if you play an MMO where there's better single player games you're pretty much retarded.

>not doing these

Ironic scenarios following that same logic, what is that you don't get?

Except it's a permanent free account not a trial.

It the shittiest form of freemium they could make, i bet goons had a hand in it to finally sink the game.

So, are there any MMOs with player killing Holla Forums can join and become the literally hitlers of? I keep hearing Lineage recommended whenever I try to find one myself but it's always with a side of 'but everyone is level 1000 and you'll never catch up' - making joining up to slay everyone absolutely pointless.

That's prety much how I've navigated every multiplayer in the past while but the best part about old MMOs was the chance encounters and the unspoken etiquette of the population at large. Of course it wasn't completely without pieces of shit but they were the extreme minority, chastized by the rest of the playerbase. Now they're the majority and even pointing it out would result in "LOL U MAD DO?" by Lord Harambenis.

Not really any point in playing a "Massively Multiplayer" game if you're relegating yourself to an insular clique against the community at large. Unless maybe that was your roleplaying goal.

Jesus christ then excuse me, it's worse than i thought. I haven't played an MMO in quite a while, and you're telling me it's literally youtube comments tier?

Probably. They got ass blasted after getting destroyed when everyone else went to war against them. They probably want to bury the game so nobody will remember it.

Yes, exactly. With global channels being the residence of "shitposters" who blog and post weak bait.
and type like
uhh this u c
so dont forget 2
vote 4 hillary; xD

Following up my comments on Mir, I just discovered a server still active with a couple of hundred people on. mirchronicles.com/
Would anyone else be interested in forming a gang of flamboyant Chinese bandits?

Fire is the great cleanser, brothers.

Is this some meta humor?

it's an edit

What's the best f2p MMO currently?

I just want something simple to play when I feel like wasting a day.

I was a runescape kid, so I prefer simple MMOs where you don't have to pay much attention, not big MMOs with raids and rigid teamwork and shit.

Pangya

Maplestory

Until you realize that you aren't going to live forever and start question why you're spending the time on that stupid shit.

Instead of what? Shitposting in Holla Forums?

The game itself got too huge without growing.

The paywall itself wasnt necessarily a bad thing in itself, it kept the kids out of the game. But since EVE is one huge moneysink already, they had to get rid of SOMETHING and the paywall makes the most sense, fiscally.

People eat injectors left and right since it became a de facto necessity to do so and those things cost quite a fortune, after a while. Also the multiple accounts everyone and their mom runs including multilaneskilling and ALL THE OTHER SHIT youll have to pay for which are essential to the game.

New Eden is finally, completely ruled by Oligarchs and their underlings and if you dont want to waste 2 years of being everyones bitch youll have to put down at least 200 bucks for injectors, for your main char only. Thats 200€ without having added any game time.

I've started playing the Kronos 2 Vanilla WoW server. I'm having a lot of fun as a Paladin. I'll probably play any MMO that has a buff bot class, useful crafting at every level, and no rush to reach max level.

I helped rallied that. Was worth every penny. Nobody wants, nobody likes, goons and niggerkikes.

But it's comfy to talk about a vidya after you're done with one or laugh at commercial failures.

Just tell me niggers:

what game is the next Runescape?

avatar fagging is a bannable offense

just as an FYI, if you like the secret world's puzzle quests The Black Watchmen is a game made by Secret World nerds who only wanted to ever do puzzle quests. It's basically an ARG where at certain points during big events you can actually receive texts or phone calls to further your investigation and requires some dank hacking/photo manipulation/etc

the puzzle quests were the only part of secret world that I liked (aside from going to actual Hell or maybe fighting the actual boogeyman) and i like the black watchmen very much, but it's hard as fuck

Where my 7/11 niggas at?

I played the Closed Betas of Korean Black Desert. There WAS trading and sandbox shit. There WAS player interaction and deep systems. There was even supposed to be a religion mechanic in the game. Money was hugely important and tough to get and leveling wasn't a massive grind. It was all there and all playable. I shit you not this game was fucking incredible. It was like playing a game from a fucking sci-fi film. It was like they had made anime real. I was hoping that we could at least bring some of those things back in the US version as many removals were supposedly at the request of the Korean playerbase. At first things seemed like they might work out. I had a lot of fun with Infinity during the US beta and the dev team seemed like they might listen. Daum was new to the west as well so I hoped they would try to make a good impression and not pull a full Nexon. However, little by little, what was left of that perfect MMO were removed from the US version too. People didn't deride Daum for it either, they applauded Daum for removing things like player trading. I was called "entitled" and banned from the BDO forums for criticizing these things and people just went along with it. It was like watching your family jump off a cliff one by one while they laughed and reassured you that the cliff didn't exist.

Read through all of this, every single word, and realize what has been lost. Realize the agony of the people who were there and had a perfect MMO torn from them and replaced with generic Korean MMO shit. black-desert.com/articles/black-desert-how-we-were-expect-it-to-be-and-how-it-is-now/

Also, to add onto this, I don't really fault Pearl Abyss for this. I think that they really set out to make the game they were saying they would make. They had all the good signs of a dev team who was really dedicated to their craft. One of the most telling signs is that they didn't hype up the game until there was actually something to SHOW for it. They didn't make any outrageous claims unless they could back it up with gameplay. They worked for years on this game in relative secrecy and were reluctant to give a solid release date until Daum stepped in and sped things up. In some ways, this is a good thing. It was pretty clear that Pearl Abyss was taking a bit long in development (it had been a few years at this point). However, Daum seemed to hurry things up a bit too much, evidenced by the extremely low amount of outfits/armors in the game (I'm convinced that most of the cash shop armors were actually high-level armors that were left out of the game) and the game releasing with large parts of the overworld missing (though they were added for free later). Also, when Daum came on board as publisher many changes were made that Pearl Abyss had stated wouldn't happen, such as a cash shop.

In the end I think the worst thing Pearl Abyss was guilty of was being naive. They were naive in thinking that they could find a Korean publisher that would allow them to release the game they wanted to make, they were naive in thinking that such a game would have been accepted in the Korean market, and they were naive in thinking that they could complete such a game in a normal development timeframe. What they should have done is develop Black Desert in the background while releasing other, smaller games (shitty mobile apps?) to fund its development. Then, once they became big enough, they should have tried publishing it themselves with a B2P or P2P system. No game like this can succeed unless it's self-published.

What possible reasons can people come up with? Even PSO2 you mentioned has direct trading although limited to prem users.
Even goddamned Warframe has unlimited direct trading.
What are justifications for removing it altogether?

EVE is still best sandbox that's still alive but the sheer amount of autism needed to play it and the fact that you're either in established blob or you're destined to be complete nobody means that no Holla Forums group will ever make it anywhere in it. Stunt joined goons Broski is filled with ledditors now Pizza is dead**

Hand outs and unfair recollection of items because you have powerful friends.

And probably they were payed bots to say what the developers wanted.

Gold sellers. It was all about thwarting the damn gold sellers. I had no idea they were even a "problem" until I went on the forums and suddenly they were this huge boogeyman that would ruin the game if we didn't remove them. But Instead of adding gold sinks or just banning the offending accounts the feature was removed altogether. There weren't any real gold sellers either, they kept on spamming the global chat as if nothing had happened because they were all simply scams. They never got banned, no real actions got taken against them, and people still didn't catch on that they were being completely led on by Daum and that this was just another way to reinforce the importance of the cash shop. Pretty much any need for player interaction outside of combat pretty much died with that. Players couldn't really help other players anymore. For example, say you wanted to be a pure blacksmith player. You grind your blacksmithing levels so that more combat focused characters don't have to. Guild-mates could rely on you to craft their weapons and armor (for a modest fee of course) so that they could focus on grinding combat experience and expand guild territory. Now you're shit out of luck because you can't give players anything. Now everybody has to craft their own armor independently. Everyone has to level up the same skills. Now every character is the same swiss army knife character who is good at smithing, fishing, weaving, taming, fighting, and boating. The game instantly became more bland. It has a huge sprawling, lifelike world but it's about as deep as a puddle.

It's amazing how dungeon crawling beat'em up like PSO2 is more of an MMO than an actual MMO.

I don't see why Holla Forums couldn't do a small corp and occupy a wormhole or some shit but yea, unless you do nullsec stuff the game isn't that great.

Whichever one does a non-themepark version of FFXIV.

FFXIV is the bottom even without themepark bullshit going on, easily the worst.

One can't help but wonder if VR could save MMOs

VR is basically new better type of monitor, it won't change jackshit. It's like wondering if going from 4:3 to 16:9 would change anything.

The only MMO it will be used for is second life.

Thanks for that. BDO was the most beautiful game I've ever seen and it still is but it suffered the same problems that happened to Tree of Saviour.

I hope developers learn now not to take on publishers too early or even at all and try to find alternative methods of funding like through crowdsourcing and mobile games.

They did. Tengoo was that corp and it was pretty ok. Only problem is the game population fell off a cliff and wspace is shit because of how little there is to do if nobody is around.

Did Holla Forums ever mount the anti-furry crusade to purge the servers of degeneracy?

Most of them ended up becoming furries over time.

You can't destroy the warp, user, only clean its taint.

We must purge them all!

Every fucking Holla Forums guild I've ever joined had furfags in them.
How do you even find a degenerate-free guild in an MMO? Does such thing exist?

By weeding them out one by one through Inquisitorial means.

Like ok, memes aside, how do you make furfags go away? Insulting and constantly harassing them doesn't help, ignoring either.
And I absolutely can't tolerate degenerates constantly shitting up guild chat with their bullshit.

At this point your behaviour isn't much different.
It's fucking impossible to talk to people on the internet.

Pretty much the reason I only play with irl friends online.

Please remember where the fuck you are.

archive.is/GjCnu

Its like you have brain damage but yet still smart enough to figure out the captcha.

It was crazy, going back to PSO2. Despite it having no exploration and just being a pure dungeon-crawler it felt far more free than BDO. Characters were all individuals as well, instead of all wearing the exact same armor like in BDO.

Also

Man what a koinkidink

fucking apply yourself

Actually I have been meaning to get back into neocron2. I don't know why maybe I just hate myself
Anybody know how that game is doing these days?
Is it completely dead?

Games that succeeded at this at one point or another: PoE, RIFT, Everquest I/II
Games that notoriously failed: WoW, Guild Wars II

Games that succeeded at this at one point or another: Black Desert Online, Guild Wars II
Games that notoriously failed: Dragon Age: Inquisiton, Everquest I/II

Games that succeeded at this at one point or another: RIFT, Black Desert Online, Guild Wars II
Games that notoriously failed: Everquest I/II, WoW, Runescape

Games that succeeded at this at one point or another: Runescape, WoW, PoE, Dragon Age: Inquision
Games that notoriously failed: Guild Wars II, RIFT, Black Desert Online, Everquest I/II, WoW

Games that succeeded at this at one point or another: Dragon Age: Inquisition
Games that notoriously failed: Black Desert Online, WoW

Games that succeeded at this at one point or another: WoW, Dragon Age: Inquision, Everquest I/II
Games that notoriously failed: RIFT, PoE, WoW, Guild Wars II

A game can make it into both lists by succeeding in the past before absolutely fucking their subscribers over.

These are just the games that I've played. Not all are MMOs but one game can always learn from another. Any big criteria that I didn't think of listing?

Star Wars Galaxies ticks every single box on your post, and also has what was for my money the best crafting/resource systems ever put into videogames, much less MMOs

Basically. The best you can really do nowadays is smaller private servers, where a good chunk of the first M isn't even present, but it isn't large enough to harbor massive amounts of cancer.

Is there any game like Asheron's Call 1?

I played AC1 on the Darktide server (player-killer only). Is there anything modern that is anything like that game? It had a truly open world, and damn was it massive… At the peak of the game's popularity there were 100-200 man battles to control the best grindan dungeons/areas.

I will never forget logging in as a newb and getting pkilled ~20x in a row before I managed to escape the log-in drop and run far enough way to LOG OFF and catch my breath haha

And then it was killed because we can't have UO-style games anymore.

The Secret World. I have such a love/hate affair with this game.

On one hand, I love the setting and all the lore. I am absolutely fucking sick of Tolkien-inspired fantasy worlds when modern-world fantasy has so much potential and is comparatively criminally underused. I also love the puzzles when they hit that sweet spot of being hard enough to make you pause and reason out the answers instead of requiring clairvoyance or a direct link to the quest writer's brain stem to the point where you just cheat and look up the solution through the browser. I even liked some of the characters, which is rare for MMOs. Mr. Montag is easily one of my favorites for being such an unending wellspring of pitch-black humor.

However, I hate the combat and leveling system. "Hey, we don't want to be like those other MMOs clogging up the market, so instead of vertical progression we'll have horizontal progression!"
"Oh, but you can't just go anywhere you want, at least not without getting curbstomped. There are no "levels" per se, but if you want to do enough DPS to kill the next tier of monsters you need trinkets and weapons of higher qualities!"
"What's that? You want to equip them? Oh heavens no, first you must grind for experience in order to have enough SP to buy the next rank that allows you to wear them, each piece has it's own rank that must all be purchased separately!"
Which, of course, means that you are effectively doing the exact same thing as just traditional vertical leveling, but now piece-by-piece. IT'S TOTALLY DIFFERENT, YOU GUYS!

Speaking of, I have no idea what their development history was but from the poorly-implemented and clunky sabotage and stealth missions and the hamfisted combat dodging mechanics, I get the impression that the developers failed to get the go-ahead from Funcom to make it a single-player game so they had to sell it to the suits as an MMO to get it greenlit. The hotbar combat is such shit, hotbar is always shit and it especially reeks in this game because in the higher level areas you get enemies that require high mobility for their telegraphed and AoE attacks but you can only roll once every 10 seconds and to keep shooting/casting your character needs to be facing the enemy, making it hard to both run ad fight. It's like they wanted so hard to make a platforming third-person shooter but then got browbeaten into addding arbitrary MMO garbage when nearly anything else would have been better.

Since they were all about horizontal progression, it means that what really matters is the "deck" you make by unlocking skills and passive abilities, I actually liked that but most of the skills are super-fucking redundant by most of them being the same as earlier skills except for minor differences which if you know what you're doing, really do make a difference in combat, but makes unlocking them boring as all fuck. It also means there's no rewarding feeling for getting any new equipment or weapons, as everything is just a skin. The old-timely double-barreled coach gun fires just as fast and hits just as hard as the modern-futuristic automatic shotgun. The Akimbo uzis fire semi-auto and at the same rate as the akimbo glocks, the baseball bat swings just as fast and hits just as hard as a giant god-raping turbo-sledge, and etc. This means that there is no strategy or metagame for equipment either beyond it's raw stats, which makes the combat feel even shallower than it already is.

So, what do they do to help with the combat which people claim is incredibly grindy? They introduce the god-awful AEGIS system to pad it out even further! Three different kinds of shields! Some enemies will have more than one! If you wanna survive you had better drop points into the newest AP-sink so you can chew through the enemy's shields faster so you can finally start whittling down their actual health bars! Isn't this fun?

If they ever make a Secret World 2 or something ~10 years in the future I hope to god they actually forsake these tacky, shoehorned MMO systems in favor of something that actually allows these fights to be "dynamic" as they seem to have wanted in the first place. I tried so hard to like this game, but you really need to have a high level of bullshit tolerance to enjoy the atmosphere and grind beyond the actual game parts of the fucking game. I swear, half the faggots I see playing are just using it as a fashion simulator with the metric fuckton of cosmetic items instead of actually doing anything. If anything, it pisses me off so much because it's underlying idea and concept has/had so much potential yet it got completely squandered because they had to make it play like a god-damned MMO. They may have been failures, but I prefer even the systems from Firefall and Tabula Rasa over the standard hotbar garbage.

We should play Requiem.

TSW deserves a re-release as a SP game.

Ragnar Tornquist is an raging SJW and it bleeds into his later works like The Dreamfall Chapters, it sucks because I actually enjoyed the original Longest Journey. Ah well another one bites the dust.