What are some hardcore FPS games that will put chest on my hair and force me to git gud?

What are some hardcore FPS games that will put chest on my hair and force me to git gud?

Other urls found in this thread:

thurot.com/2012/09/06/metro-2033-the-index/
thepiratebay.org/torrent/3871279/Quake_3_Arena_Full
playmorepromode.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

E.Y.E would do the trick.
Heretic is also pretty rad.

Didn't mean to sage.
Oh well.

OG Shadow Warrior and Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment

CS:S, CS:GO, Insurgency, and STALKER.

>>>/oven/

Fallout 4

Todd?

I will not sacrifice you.

These should force you to git gud if you play them on the higher difficulty settings and give you an excellent base to build off of depending on what you like about them.

Onward

The devs aren't cunts and the gameplay's alright

Hard Reset is particularly unforgiving, especially on its hardest difficult, and requires you to really make the most of your environment.

Its by the same team as the Shadow Warrior remake but, unlike that title, there's no over powered sword shit to get you out of dodge.

And get Painkiller: Black Edition. Not any of the others, least of all Hell and Damnation, since they fuck things up.

For an arcade experience you can also try Devil Daggers and maybe Heavy Bullets.

You fucking retard. It's "put hair on my chest", not "chest on my hair".

Just finished Quake, downloading FEAR and EYE now. I appreciate the help.

If only I had the money.

I actually have Hard Reset in my library. I bought it a while ago on saleā€¦ didn't they release another version a year or two ago? Should I stick with the original?

You don't have a lot of friends do you user?

Nice projection. I just don't hang around with people who have less than 60 points of IQ.

Anyway, it don't matter, none of this matters. I've got my dubs, I'm outta here.

whelp, at least you got your digits I suppose.

to further expand on that

Serious Sam 3 any good?

Oh, and are any of the FEAR expansions good? I've heard mixed things..

Extraction Point is a good expansion with a couple of not so good bits. Perseus Mandate is inferior, but you could play it anyway if you really, really like FEAR.

Doom is also very difficult in Nightmare mode. If you hate enemies that don't stay dead, you could play some of the harder .wads on ultraviolence with the -fast command. Plutonia is pretty ball-busting, and there's even harder user made .wads out there.

Gotcha, thanks for the heads up

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP: Misery

Then what else should I recommend him, Serious Sam on Mental difficulty?

wew

Both metros were pretty easy if you were careful, even on ranger hardcore. Stealth is king for the most part, and if you fuck up you still have things like the VSS and pneumatic ballbearing gun, hell the silenced revolver is strong enough to pull you out of a potentially bad situation once you get it upgraded.

This makes me wonder what Quake 3 would be "best" for.
It had such a different feel than UT and even Unreal. Less time to aim, more cramped environments? I can't put my finger on it.
Everyone just seems to talk about which one they liked more. Would be nice to hear some thoughts on how they differed from people who played both a lot.

Take your pick:

CS 1.6

CS:S

CS:GO

Though I gotta warn you that CS:S is much more arcadey than others.

/thread

in a few moments a pack of rose-tinted nostalgiafags will start ripping into CS. Don't listen to them, because those are the people that could never get good at it. These are the people that need instant gratification, and just want to run fast and shoot cartoony guns.

If you want a game to bend you over the barrel and rape you until you're forced to learn how to play it - play CS.

I have to warn you that both CS 1.6 and CS:S are pretty dead though.

ARMA 2
its a dad game
MAN 400 meters front

Holy shit that image.

tbh I played way more of that than HL2, which I got for my birthday ages ago. Probably the nicest steam surprise I've received.

Even back then everyone was complaining that the helmet hitboxes were too bigI just thought it wasfun

Aside from the weaker first half, the gameplay is the most solid one in the series, so yeah.

Whereas UT is more about deliberate movements considering its somewhat slower pace and focus on teamplay, Quake 3 is more about area control, of which enemy tracking, movement, and weapon handling are an extension of. In pro matches where the accuracy of both players is on an equal level, their success depends on the items and power-ups they can pick up, hence why denying the opponent these pick-ups and controlling item spawns is the largest key to success.

CS:GO is getting better every month. Get it on sale - skins are completely optional and don't get in the way of the gameplay.

It's honestly really fucking good. I'm getting a feeling that they're cooking up a large update at this point in time - they've been changing gun sounds to more realistic ones, and I'm thinking that this must be filler while they're doing something huge behind the scenes.

Could be the Source 2 port, which would be why they're not changing anything that would require coding.

I recently learned a few seconds of the spray pattern on the Negev - it's absolutely hilarious to watch faggot riflers and p90 fags get blown the fuck out. It's definitely very hard to master, though.

Insurgency is pretty good.

Yes, extraction point is arguably the best part of fear and perseus mandate adds other people that also slomo.

it's the only genre that requires genuine motor skill other than fighting games.

but user, the fucking sound updates.

I'm going to narrow the OPs question down a bit: No AIDS based gameplay, everyone on an equal footing, populated servers, team-based online.

AIDS=AIm Down Sights. It's the modern military shooter convention that forces everybody to virtually stop moving in order to shoot. A good shooter involves both parties dodging and shooting simultaneously. CS is just AIDS without the viewmodel.

Equal footing means there are NO non-cosmetic purchasable OR grindable options available.

Populated servers means what it sounds like. There needs to be people playing the game that I can play with at any time in at least a semi-series style. If there's no one to play with then the game may as well not even exist no matter how good it "could be".

Please don't call progression systems "RPG elements", and for genuine RPG elements please use the term "immersive simulation".

Still, A+ recommendations, it's clear you have a solid understanding of gameplay design and consideration. But the number one reason to play Metro 2033 is for its kino value - link related: thurot.com/2012/09/06/metro-2033-the-index/

Nice comic lad.

Why would anyone list a single player shooter in a game asking for something to "git gud" with? Not that they are bad games, but you set them to their hardest difficulty, play them through once in a few hours, and there's no point in getting better afterward because there's nothing left to test you.

Nothing wrong with the new sounds. They're much more powerful and satisfying.

Consolized/glorified-excuse-to-put-people-behind-a-slot-machine Counter-Strike is never ever going to get func_vehicle and Valve will never ever care about their community again.

top zuz

They sound fucking disgusting.

Just because you have to stop to shoot doesn't mean you can't dodge while your opponent is shooting. Moreover, in most CS games you stop literally for a millisecond to land that headshot and keep moving.

Your categories of FPS are fucking stupid, literally kosher/non-kosher tier.

Sounds like someone never shot a gun IRL

inb4 open letter to server owners asking them to not allow players to 'claim temporary ownership' of 'CS:GO vehicles' that aren't 'officially implemented in the game'

The actual firing sounds are fine, it's the reloading that's nasty. And I have fired several guns IRL.

There's run and gun and then there's stop and shoot. Stop and shoot is shit, NO EXCEPTIONS.

CSGO is the new gmod?

That would imply that there are official vehicles in the first place. Nice meme, regardless.

Not really, just some talented as fuck russian mapper.

user, thinking in black and white is what normalfags do. Please use your brain and form arguments that don't rely on "x is bad, y is good"

This is dumb and in no way enforceable

Func_vehicle doesn't sell crate keys~

I didn't ask for your opinion, I asked for a game faggot.

You should follow the recommendations set by mr 7352c9 '3'

Kill yourself if you don't want to discuss shit on a discussion board. We ain't gonna just spoonfeed you a game, we do so by the process of conversation.

Tbh you don't need to even market these, they just throw them out like chum and casuals eat it up.

Had a dude with a few really expensive skins and a knife on my team the other day, nigger burnt through a full mag without landing a single headshot.

Needs to be multiplayer or there's no git gud, and there needs to be people playing it.

Do you want to do you want to hone skills and learn stuff or do you want to follow a bastardized definition of 'git gud' o3o

UT4, Q3:A, QL, Reflex, Xonotic.

Yes you should absolutely stick to the original Hard Reset version, the redux added the possibility to dash laterally and infinite stamina making it more similar to Shadow Warrior 2013; while I've replayed the game reduxed with pleasure, the original is the way to go if you want an fps that you need to git gud if you want to proceed with the game. For the sake of comparison, I've died something like 4 times on the redux at Hard in the entire game, meanwhile in the original at Normal I've probably used to die 4 times every one/two levels.

Hm, maybe that's why I seemed to play UT a little more.
I wanted to just wander all over the map and not just play pig in the middle with whatever gun maps to the 9 key.

quake 3 arena. it'll teach you speed, snap-aim with railguns, rocket jumping, map knowledge, spawn timers for important items. i really truly think that all the FPS fundamental skills can all be honed with that one game. unless you're an ADS tacticool faggot, in which case i can't help you

Do you always post this picture anytime you sperg out about how Holla Forums doesn't like your shitty shooter that fails at both being tactical and being a twitch shooter.

i don't like CS:GO
i want to play this

Awesome, installing now
glad I don't need to spend the extra money.

Looks like I've got quite a few games to play through. I guess as a last question. Should I be going at FEAR and Hard Reset on the hardest difficulty first or should I ease in on normal?

Oh dear.

Quake 3 Arena is all you need. CS a shit.

That actually reminds me a bit of fighting game inputs.

which is neat considering that's the genre I'm coming off of.

I've heard that.

sadly I've also heard its online life is dwindling.

There are still hundreds of people playing online. You shouldn't have a problem finding games on quake live, and people will play VQ3 and CPMA with you if you ask on IRC or discord.

I've been playing quake online for years and I haven't had a hard time finding people.

huh, well alright. Guess I'll download that now.

Hate to ask for the spoonfeed, but would you happen to know of a torrent for the GOG version? I can't seem to find one.

no idea but im pretty sure this one is good:

thepiratebay.org/torrent/3871279/Quake_3_Arena_Full

You definitley want to download CPMA at playmorepromode.org/

The majority of players are on quake live, so to find serious games in regular quake 3 you'll probably need to get on IRC or discord. You might find a FFA game or two, but most people are playing quake live.

gotcha, thanks a lot.

So there are still people playing Quake 3 casually tho, right? Say I just wanted to hop on for a quick game?

Yeah, im pretty sure you can just find some casual games and screw around, but the majority of casual players are in quake live, where there are about 6 or so servers at any given time.

I think openarena also has some casual servers too.

In CPMA its mostly experienced veteran players, who organize all their games on IRC, so you wont find any casual games unfortunately.

CS is only shit if you want to come in and play casually. It's very unforgiving.

Go back to tumblr, pissant

Single player FPS won't make you good at FPS, you have to play online.

just stop.

For people who want CS with cars, Tactical Intervention updated a few hours ago.

I have played FEAR and I hear this is from the same guys.
How similar are the two games, though?
Does it have fast-moving, high-DPS enemies like FEAR did?

I couldn't get into seriously playing CS because of how few skills are being used at any one time. It feels really raw when a lot of it boils down to aim-battles.

I thought it was fun, but its not as varied as
quake. It feels like its limited by design. The aiming is more intense, but then every other mechanic that games like quake have is watered down to the extreme, so it gets boring with how streamlined it is.

They're nothing alike except for having satisfying enemies to kill
Not really, the gargoyles are pretty fast but they're melee so you can kite them

outside of the efforts of one extremely dedicated autist - who records epin killstreak webms and puts music over them just for Holla Forums - i've only heard "eh, it's ok" about this game. in fairness I only played it for about six hours but it was just okay. neat atmosphere and fun grindhouse aesthetics but nothing world-changing

gonna need some sauce on that, m80

Getting good at a qaukelike in duel puts you firmly head and shoulders above most fps players. Generally I think the most important step to being good at a shooter is aim. Movement is much less rigorous in most games (cs ties movement into the shooting though so they sort of go hand in hand there, although it's a completely different type of movement than old arena shooters)

I don't know if I would agree with CS aim being more intense than quake aim. Quake aim demands a lot more versatility, in the kinds of angles you will react to on flick shots, on prediction shots too, and in terms of the weapons requiring different styles of aiming.

I don't think theres anything as tracking demanding in cs as the lg in quake, excluding maybe pistol rounds.

Counter strike can be fun though, using the grenades tactically and shit is satisfying when it works but the game is way too slow imo.

It feels intense because aim is really what the gameplay boils down too, not because its more complicated. I agree that its not. But it feels more intense because its essentially most of the gameplay. In quake you arent just depending on raw aim, you're depending on a whole lot of other factors, so you arent just putting all your focus into aim like you do in CSGO.

Maybe intense is a misleading word, because I didnt want to imply that it took more skill, but when you dont have item timings and movement like quake you just think about aiming because the gameplay is limited to that. I felt a lot more pressure when aiming in CSGO, because of the stakes, but not in quake, because my fights in quake almost never just boiled down to who aimed better.

I did have fun with it, but then I stopped playing, because of how slow it was.

i actually genuinely find it sad when people need to do that sort of thing. "please validate me Holla Forums, my life wasted on a shooter gave me these skills"