Genres you can't get into

Being thrown into a giant map and forced to find things with little direction is the bane of my existence. I will run around for hours looking for one item to the point it becomes infuriating to play.

I have the worse coordination and reflexes in the world and everyone and their mother seems to have been playing every newly released fighting game since the first entry. It just seems like even bothering is pointless.

No matter how much I play one I'll always fuck up and get hit by a bullet that seems like it came out of nowhere but I know it's because I was just to unaware to notice. I'm so dense at figuring out the openings in patterns in such that I have to look up videos online to get past stages.

I can barely manage my own life, let alone 50+ units, buildings and resources all at the same time.

How can people seriously enjoy this? Especially in contrast with the vastly superior Good Games?

I wish I could downvote you.

have you tried using sage?

My brain just can't notice small visual details if I missed them the first time I scan an area. Those games just turn into a frustrating pixel hunt.

the direction in Metroid is literally just filling out the map.

Look at the map and scour for unfilled edges, that is your direction.

As for collectathons like Banjo Kazooie, just follow the bouncing collectables. they're always designed in a way that LEADS you to other collectibles. Don't see any bouncing dick puzzles in the area? Go to another one.

I dislike turn-based combat of any kind.

No, you don't. The thing about fightans is that you play, you figure out what works, then you test that against a human opponent and learn from failure.

No matter how much I play one I'll always fuck up and get hit by a bullet that seems like it came out of nowhere but I know it's because I was just to unaware to notice. I'm so dense at figuring out the openings in patterns in such that I have to look up videos online to get past stages.

Do you think that those youtube videos where someone has a no damage run was done because they were talented? Fuck no, you will face that scenario until you get gud.

Fightan and Shumps are git gud genres. Face the challenge and rise again.

Just not a fan, I find them a little to slow for my taste and would much rather be in the action than watching it from above.
I just end up clicking everything and getting bored. I did play through Scratches and enjoyed it, but again, the genre just isn't for me.
I'd actually be more into these if the enemies looked like you couldn't stand toe to toe with them, but often times you are hiding next to some object you could use as a weapon while some human sized monster is right in front of you completely unaware of your presence. Breaks my immersion every time, which normally I don't mind but immersion in a horror game is pretty important

I play a bit of everything else though. Recently I've been getting really into online shooters.

I don't get why you're saying I need to git gud when I openly said I was shit at them.

so you won't be shit at them.

I thought this was obvious.

RPGS, because they're all shit

and there's people out there that can't do into rhythm games

I really don't understand how this genre continues to exist to this day with so little innovation. I could see it being fun for a few maps, but after that they just become slogs. I don't see how anyone could follow a series of them.

Again it's an issue of repetition.

There is no great visual feedback for doing things well, the graphics are dull icons, they trivialize or automate (what would have been) the exciting bits like combat and there is no mechanical skill involved in the gameplay you just click on menus and the like. I have no fucking clue how anyone could enjoy these games, I've tried so hard to give the genre a chance but it just isn't for me.

If you weren't shit then you wouldn't need to git gud. Being shit is the first step on the journey of getting gud.

These as well. I really miss resource management in Horror games. It's mindless when the answer to every encounter is just "run away". In a classic Horror game you had to make the decision to fight or flight, whether or not wasting precious ammunition/etc, was worth it or if you would try to juke around them and risk taking serious damage if you screwed up. You also had to make that decision very quickly or you would end up dead. Modern Horror games just feel so hollow and shallow in comparison, I can't get into them.

yep, you know what's up. It's just another genre ruined by lazy developers and the casual audience. Sad because I bet these people who were introduced to the genre by Let's Players don't even know half of what they are missing out on.

I dislike strategy games and RPGs. Used to like RPGs but unless they're something like Demon's Souls or DD (basically action games with stats) I have no interest.

if he doesn't like them why would he bother getting good?

;_;

But this thread isn't about genres you suck it. It's about ones you don't like and don't bother with. So I find being told to get better at something I haven't tried in forever kinda redundant.

RTS/MOBA/diablo and diablo like games

i hate isometric camera i guess

This is why custom maps exist

Maybe if you git gud, you won't dislike the genre as much.

Faggot.

online multiplayer FPS

No, the title of the thread is genres you can't get into, because you're shit at them, if you put more practice into them then you might get ingto them.
Nowhere in op does it say this.

I used to enjoy them, but I can't help but get bored if I try one today
Boring, normalfag genre unless it has powerups and shit
no explanation needed
Never bothered with them, very reliant on multiplayer and I'm undoubtedly bad
I'm too dumb and don't feel like putting so much effort just to learn how to play a few video games. I don't like roleplaying by myself either.

I'm only half into WRPGs and JRPGs
I can't into visual novels, but whether or not those are actually games is a discussion for another thread
RTS
MMO

I thought can't get into would imply those feelings, but oh well.

Also, I didn't have much problem getting into roguelikes or grand strategy. Not that I'm some expert at them, but I managed up to at least a competent level. With the genres I listed nothing clicks at all.

fighting and mobas

This. The faster I have to move in an rts game the less fun it gets.

Yes. The ability to work hard is a talent too you know, but chances are they were also blessed with faster reflexes than average.

MOBAs

Not because I can't git gud, but rather because there is Zero long-time motivation, other than

It provides excellent fap-material though

I know what I'm supposed to do, but I just fucking can't do it for the life of me.
I really fucking hate RTS' where units are extremely expendable, like Starcraft.
Nothing pisses me off more than games in which bullets don't go where your crosshair is. It's supposed to "simulate" recoil, BUT THE FUCKING GAME ALREADY HAS VISUAL RECOIL, I DON'T FUCKING GET IT

That's fucking retarded, it's like unlockable weapons in FPS games, why the fuck would you do that in a pvp game?

WRPGs. At least, Elder Scrolls-styled ones. First Person WRPGs, I guess? Then again, I'm not a fan of the Souls series, either.
It's very clearly western styled. I'll coin the acronym WSRPG, then. Faggot.

MOBAs. I kind of understand Starcraft and can watch it, but the prospect of playing it just does not seem interesting to me. League of Legends looks boring as fuck to me, and I don't see the appeal.

Kart racers. Fucking why? I can't play these for more than 15 minutes. Gimme a car or a ship or something.

RTS. This is mostly just because of the sheer amount of time it takes to play at any given time. I don't sit in front of a PC playing games much, so RTS doesn't have much appeal to me. I wanted to try out Nobunaga's Ambition but FUCKING TECMO didn't bring the Vita version to the West.

Shit, I forgot Visual Novels. I can't be bothered with that shit. I can do adventure games, but not Visual Novels.

It's to simulate inaccuracy, not recoil. If you aren't reliably hitting enemies with a gun, then that enemy is outside the weapon's effective range. Nobody likes laser beam games, unless it's an arena shooter.

All of these hangups seem like a lack of skill brought on by not practicing. Git gud. In particular, work on your memory.

Can't get into pixel trash and never will.
Pic very related.

Those games are an insult to superior hardware anyway.

I mean, why should I fill my screen with ugly shit pixels and vomit colors when I can have much nicer looking superior games like pic related?

I have a few genres that while I like the premises, bullet hell aside because that shit is gay, I just can't into game enjoyment.

Fighting Games: I like fightan and I like games, but I have gotten locked into an endless combo where I can't do anything by some turbo nerd with a fightpad to even waste my money on the genre anymore.

Bullet Hell: I don't find any enjoyment in memorizing these patterns and spamming whatever shoot button is available.

Whatever the Hell CK2, Victoria, and Europa Universalis are: Cannot recall the genre name, but I like the idea of running a Princedom and doing some conquering but these games never live up to the fantasy ideal I have for them. Too much little mid management shit, not enough engaging gameplay despite my autism for history.

Pixel art isn't a genre.

Yeah you are totally right, brb gonna play games with actual 3D graphics instead of "pixel vomit" (good one my dude xD)

I like punching things in the face too much.
Don't mind that their hard, just find it boring, R-Type is an exception
I'd rather play an RTS

My internet is too shit for fighting games and there's literally no local scene near me. Not that I would want to be around FGC faggots IRL anyway.

Well

A talented person has an easier time learning and getting better at something (if they want to get better) than someone with no knack for it at all.

Ive tried total war, but theres something about trusting the ai to fight enemies instead of doing it myself. I dont want to lose on account of some dumbass who couldnt figure out how to cross a bridge, or got stuck running into a building.
Im too much of a perfectionist, so ive spent hours on end playing the first level of thief, chaos theory, and blood money, eventually boring myself. I love the metal gear solid games, but even then i had to put away my perfectionist attitude just to wait for the damn elevator

If you like platformers, you might still be able to enjoy metroid-likes. Especially super metroid, which does a very good job of leading the player through the game, at least up to the high jump boots. As long as you have a sense of curiosity, it shouldnt be extremely hard.

Have you tried platformers where you punch people in the face, like pre-sotn castlevania? Also, dont feel bad for hating assfaggots, the genre is objectively shit.

Whenever I think I'm making progress, someone better than me trashes me before I even have a chance to learn his tactics. Then I won't ever be able to fight them again, because they always disconnect because I'm not enough of a challenge for them.

From what I've played, it's a matter of who can rush hardest. Fuck up your build order or lose a unit? No coming back from that. The worst is losing a bottleneck and ending up in a battle of attrition and resources where you will eventually lose because you picked the underpowered race.

I'm decent, but not consistent enough to excel at anything since my situational awareness fails me and my aim is always off.

Looks like it's back to singleplayer for me. At least there I can't lose.

As for 'gitting gud', you just have to try and try until it sticks. I hated playing DMC4 for the longest time, but after spending some time in Bloody Palace I can destroy anything as Nero. Same for fighting games; if you face the same tactics and fighting styles over and over again, you will eventually learn to recognize them. The question isn't about who's talented or not, but rather do you give enough of a shit to get good at it. Some will learn quicker than others, this is true, but pick a game to improve upon and start from there. Getting good at something is going to hurt, a lot.

Most 'talent' is just pursued interest. A few years ago I couldn't animate worth shit, now people pay money for my work.

At least with some shooters aim takes a backseat in favor of positioning and spatial awareness. I almost never get caught unawares in multiplayer shooters.

You've mostly hit the nail on the head as to why I don't like competitive RTS games. It's very difficult to make a comeback, simply due to the way the game is designed.

It would be like if losing health in a fighting game also slowed down your character and added a shake to your aim. You're already losing, there's no need to make it more difficult to win.

That being said, I have no idea how I would design an RTS that eliminates the slippery slope.

RTS, I suppose.

When I was younger I'd play them by the bucket: Red Alert, Dungeon Keeper, Seven Kingdoms, Cossacks, Warzone 2100, Dark Reign, Total Annihilation, etc. But now I find modern RTS are either super fucking slow and require sitting back while numbers roll or encourage base rushing unit spam with micromanaged combat.

Oh and horror. I jump at fucking everything and get scared easy. Feels a waste to try and play something like Dreadout in the middle of the day without headphones because that just aint right.

Does that really change what he meant? Someone actually interested in something will have more reason to be invested than someone without.

I can't get into shmups either. They all feel like "Hold fire and dodge bullets." Not interesting at all to me.

Drugs+ different entries in the series.
I can't really play any of the actual dynasty warriors games because they seem really boring and repetitive to me but hyrule warriors and the one piece musou both added enough on their own to be really fun, and you can bet your ass im gonna play the berserk game once it comes out. But it's really unlikely ill ever play a flagship DW game.

Shmup's

I guess I'm just >too slow

I can't get into diablo-likes either, the only one i've managed to put any time into is Din's Curse and thats probably just the randomness it brings. I'm just not that interested in random loot and clicking little monsters until they die.

Spooky games were you dont have any guns or cant aim to kill the monsters.

Easy games i.e. most games made in the last decade. If I don't have to struggle to win, sometimes playing a stage over 5 or more times, it just isn't fun.