Are there any depressing games out there?

Are there any depressing games out there?
Games that makes you think all night?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FIc0-me3gis
mangabrog.wordpress.com/2014/07/06/inio-asano-interview-reality-is-tough-so-read-this-manga-about-cute-girls-and-feel-better/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

nigga just walk away from the computer you best start believing in depressing stories, yur in one, and then you take off the nightmare video glasses and you go uh oh it's still sad

Minecraft Alpha with it's atmosphere of absolute loneliness, childlike procgen and slow piano music used to make me want to cry. Late Alpha, Beta and onwards are soulless shit.

Games that make you actually feel things with their atmosphere are incredibly rare.

If you mean story - sure, go play MGS, Silent Hill, Shadow of the Collossus, etc.

Gone Home

real life

Are there any tvshows/games/movies out there?
I want to watch someone being rejected by everyone so I can feel better

Maybe there should be a chart like this for vidya.

yeah ok

Nigger you don't look for self advertised "depressing game" for that.

It only happens whenever a character makes a side remark and it hits home, that's it, it can be Puyo Pop for all I know. Nobody wants to make a game that's sad 100% because it's both not fun to develop and to play.

I dunno where that image is from, but with brows like that you're basically asking for being smacked and niggered.
Bitch should've shave them or some shit.

Sounds like real life.

Well that IS not fun to play :^^^^^)

WoW

I heard Legion is supposedly good.

Jokes aside I haven't beat it but I assume the games depressing because of atmosphere, not dialogue wise.

Ragnarok Offline

Have some hope, OP.

Any modern AAA title. Makes you think about what could have been.

Does this faggot not understand how prescriptions work?

UFO:enemy unknown from 1994.

It can be both depressing and terrifying.
If your troops die, they die.
If you mess up missions, things start to go wrong, and sometimes there is no way but down.

China has removed its funding.
USA has removed its funding.

The months pass, you have no money to buy new weapons. Aliens mock you, investing the globe, taking your bases one by one.

comedy m8

The joke is that he has 6 days to live.

When it comes to sad video games, usually it's some moments near the end, or just the end itself being depressing, which makes people classify the game as a 'sad game'. Take MGS3 for instance, all throughout the game, it's pretty fun and the radio conversations are hilarious; however, the ending is outright devastating and based off that alone, people say that it is a sad game.

MGS4 though is one exception I know of. Throughout the game, there is a depressing tone right from the beginning to the end. The sad story of seeing the heroic Solid Snake become an old man trying to save the world only for him to know that he will die soon. Other side stories like Otacon's unhappiness or Raiden losing himself is pretty somber too. MGS4, despite it's convoluted story has incredibly despondent themes all around it.

RefleX

DaS is like a big warm blanket of depression for me. Something about the music, strange stillness and phantoms passing around you while you contemplate if there's any meaning to all this.

Silent Hill 2 is pretty depressing, but it has themes of getting the strength to move on. Same with Bastion.

Also these 2.

LISA: the Painful is kinda depressing I guess. It didn't effect me as much as it did some other people though. I don't think I've ever played a game that made me as depressed as when I actually was depressed.

Funny you say that as the only ending I ever got playing the game was where James kills himself

What exactly made those later versions "soulless"?

Son, I don't know what you think depression is, but that ain't it. No, wait until you want to sleep all day, then sleep all night, only getting up to drink or use the bathroom. Why, you don't even feel sadness. Well, time to go back to sleep. Best of luck!

Pics related

Or well, lacking the strength to let go.
That's one of the neat things, depending how you play you get a different ending but the game doesn't tell you this. I got the leave ending my first playthrough.

I didn't really like this game. It had some good ideas/influences behind it but I couldn't finish it.
What did the story boil down to?

Dev self insert protagonist

I didn't either, I got depressed

Saya no uta isn't depressing, it's just a bunch of bullshit with faggot jap logic that makes no goddamn actual sense.

Considering the ending to CoD4 made me sad, I dont know if I can really contribute to this thread. I get attached to characters way too easily.

I remember watching that film in grade 8 English class, with my friend and I laughing our asses off in the back of the room.

That doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing.

I just didn't care enough to finish it.

18+ to post

If anime makes you think then I suggest trying some more challenging material. Like Blue's Clues hahahahaha

LMAO

CoD4 was almost ten years ago, m8.

still need to be 18 to post

Good thing I'm 19.

I know right? How dare that fucking shit laugh at such an amazing movie? Bet he's a fucking Nazi fucking shit. Fucking white cunt.

Stalker series can be pretty melancholic.

youtube.com/watch?v=FIc0-me3gis

Metro 2033 and Last Light also.

fucking plebs

you're delusional fam

It really depends on the kind of face. Thick eyebrows don't suit everyone. And it's not like the inverse isn't just as bad.

Punpun did nothing right

Man, Punpun was a colossal fuckup all the way through.
I stopped reading around chapter 90, couldn't take it anymore.

Op clearly been reading punpun and experiencing the emptiness and disjoint from positive emotions you feel after it

We have all been there

Iji
basically Spec Ops: The Line done right

There is some great moments but punpun will never make your proud or happy for him

pussy

So is this shit like berserk but without action and demons? Does it have hard erotica in it with asses and boobs and naked lolies?

I had no idea what kind of shit I signed myself up for.
Dededede completion when

Nigger, did you read my post? I said not everyone suits thick eyebrows. But some people certainly do.

Yes

Soon ontan kissu kissu alien bro and he says ship is gonna fall and fuck em up

These are not real girls

I can't wait for Asano and alien-kun to become OTP, drift apart from each other, grow up and get fucked up.

I know.

Read Gantz instead

How about Depression Quest :^)

Thanks for reminding me of punpun, you fuck

Lisa is shocking. It used humor as a way to soften people for the gut punches and the humor that it bothered to set up for was relatively dark and played into that. A lot of it shouldn't have been, seeing as the opening leads off with child abuse, drug abuse and the end of the world.

It's affect, you retard

Gantz is one huge cringe ride. It tries to be edgy so hard it ends up being comedy. And a not funny one.

Holla Forums is Holla Forums, so yeah, deal with it nerd.

Who are you quoting?

Its why I like Terraformars
Its so over the top and silly but it doesn't take itself that seriously either though
Like sure there is story and emotions at play but it does the silly well that it works within itself

That depiction of the honey badger is factually accurate, though.

I know

The Hunt For A Gf

Remember that they tell you that some of your friends will die

at least you learn something of the experience, most of jap stuff like this is like

Team Fortress 2

That's like the best part of Berserk.

Oh that's so sweet what's it from?

Sorry your inferior mind didn't get it

it's true
the community is cancer but the game is flawless

The only flaw this game has is that Valve can't manage it for shit, and they keep doing retarded crap like matchmaking and killing their Valve servers.

Every new game is depressing.

Thats cause MGS4 is about self loathing. Even the final fight with Ocelot isnt really heroic, its more brutal and devastating.

welp
time to go fap to victim girls

>tfw you couldn't save Aiko

So what in the end punpun kills browed girl?
Did she cheat on him? Or he's maniac? Spoiler me this shit.

I seriously hope you don't do this

Just read it, faggot

I bet it's some pretentious shit about kids killing and raping each other that supposed to make me sad and feel better for myself since my childhood didn't contain such horrors.
I've read and watched plenty of such shit.

Nigga please.

You are completely wrong

I'm reading it now. It doesn't seem to have horrors, but a lot of feels and stuff. They seem hauntingly familiar for some reason.

When reading the manga, you'll constantly think most characters are going to suffer through something completely horrible. But it never happens like you'll expect it to.

This. It's an infuriating tragedy. The game could easily be so much better to play and it just ISN'T.

I'll never touch any of those manga ever again after you fuckers ruined and tricked me with Koe no Katachi. You can go and suffer all by yourself.

You can all die in the same hole as Shuzo Oshimi.

I know I'm gonna get a thousand replies of

But the true pacifist ending on Undertale made me cry and I still think about it to this day.

>that hug at the end

You will never save him, he'll be a demented flower in the underground forever

You're all fruity faggot fuckboys. Pull that trigger Facebook frog, the world will be much better without you.

LISA The Painful and The Joyful
Did he Holla Forums?

The ending to Silent Hill 2 hit me like this

me too :^)

It's about how Punpun is a shy depressed fuck and bad things keep happening to him out of proportion, and nothing good ever happens in his life. It's meh because of it, because that amount of shit is hard to buy, especially the ending.

Truly the person who did the least things wrong in all of videogames

SOURCE ?
it has been a decade since i wanted the source of this manga.
i beg of you

And on your question OP.
Nier is sad enough, anons keep having cryfests about it.
Shadow of Colossus also has a sense of dread all over it.
Any game by Ice-Pick Lodge, be it the Void, Pathologic or Knock-knock makes me depressed as shit. Not Eurica though, that shit's hilarious.
The Whispered World is all about a sad clown trying to stop the world dissolving itself, it's pretty bleak.
Tales of Monkey Island starts out funny, and by episode 5 you are a walking corpse of Guybrush that has lost pretty much all will to live. Shit has a happy ending though.
Transistor is sad as shit when you think about it.
Max Payne is depressing, even though it's all about redemption.
Kane and Lynch: Dead Men actually has some powerful scenes like Kane reading a letter to his dead daughter
The first Darkness has a number of depressing scenes.

Alive Living Angel's Crecrecreation.

Most of the shit that happens to him he brings on himself.

Master?

Master A-Ar-Armstrong?

Dad…

I-I…I'm sorry.

FUCK

Poor art direction. Most new textures were made by various artists that never meant to go together.

That, and the clear lack of a design dock, as most features added over time resembled shitty mods more than anything

*doc

man, seriously.
give me the source, it could help me fight my depression and becoming a part of this wondrous society. (i hate myself)

Ontan no Pico

Yeah, like his dad beating his mom
Or his mom dying
Or Sachiko cheating on him
Or getting raped by his future aunt
Or the girl he liked going crazy
Or the girl he liked killing herself
Punpun didn't cause most of the shit that happened to him. It just happened over and over.

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

Seriously user, just "invert" every word said, by meaning not by letter order. Also it should be Crecrecrecrecreation instead of Crecrecreation.

i know now. thanks btw

Check the true ending video. Essentially the MC is crazy. That's it. Nothing is real but the actions the MC takes against the "monsters".

>Yeah, like his dad beating his mom
His dad did nothing wrong, his mother was batshit and was going to kill pun pun and herself

>Or his mom dying
Everyone dies eventually, he never liked her much anyway

>Or Sachiko cheating on him
You mean Sachi? They were not in a relationship. They fucked once but they were just friends.

>Or getting raped by his future aunt
It was not rape

>Or the girl he liked going crazy
She could have gotten better if he had not forced her to go on the run

>Or the girl he liked killing herself
He drove her to, if he had taken her to the hospital things would have never reached that point. She lost what little hope she had for life from all the abuse while they were on the run

>his dad did nothing wrong
that's why he abandoned punpun with his batshit mother

>they were not in a relationship
in all but name only, she even apologizes to him for getting pregnant and tries to start it all proper. Beforehand when he sees her with her ex punpun has a mental breakdown, and she explains that she is availiable

>if he hadn't forced her to go on the run
what the fuck else could he do, she murdered her own mother and he didn't want her to do time

Punpun believed he killed her at first though

>that's why he abandoned punpun with his batshit mother
His dad had no choice in the matter, that's just the way the law works

>in all but name only, she even apologizes to him for getting pregnant and tries to start it all proper. Beforehand when he sees her with her ex punpun has a mental breakdown, and she explains that she is availiable
Punpun could never let Aiko, they could have been in a relationship but he never really gave it an honest shot. Sachi was never going to be first in his heart.

>what the fuck else could he do, she murdered her own mother and he didn't want her to do time
He thought he was the one that killed her at first. He could have at least not blamed all his problems on Aiko that more than anything else is what made her kill herself. Aside from that he could have turned himself in and gotten her the help she needed. Because it was self defense sentencing would probably be fairly light.

>he could have turned himself in
he was going to, but she asked him not to

>that's just the way the law works
not in punpun, he doesn't go to jail for double murder at the end of the manga and gets fucking probation. people serve time for a lot less in japan. The problem is that reality in punpun is inconsistent and the only constant thing is that punpun gets fucked over at the end.

>he was going to, but she asked him not to
He has a reoccurring problem of being weak willed.

>not in punpun
He did not kill anyone. Aiko killed herself and her mother. At worst he might be seen as an accomplice

>aiko killed herself and her mother
Yeah, I can imagine a man that has been seen at the scene of the crime screaming that he didn't do it, it was actually those two dead women who he totally didn't kill. All evidence points to him, and jap courts don't even listen to defendants before jailing them. The ending is a major copout, punpun should have died on that roof.

That would have been a better ending than what we got.

But the ending was brilliant.

>punpun decides to end it all after losing everything he had in his life
>the bitch doesn't let him, magically finding him on the roof
>she doesn't even love him, punpun's life is even more empty than before
>he continues his miserable and pointless existence with no end in sight
>oh no there is a baby born that's just like him, here we go again guys
It was shit.

Honestly that movie/documentary just infuriated me. Really good if you want to get mad, though.

That's the entire point of the ending. Punpun's life never gets better. Making Punpun live after all the shit he's been through is the biggest tragedy of all. And the icing on the cake is the chapter where we see it from his childhood friend's perspective and realize that all of these problems that plague Punpun's life are completely insignificant to anyone but himself. Nobody knows what he really went through except Aiko, and she's gone.

I dunno, man.. Lisa hit me hard with the last few lines of dialog from your party members at the end of the game.

It said a whole lot with very little, and that carried a fair amount of impact for a simple little game.

Killer7 starts off unsettling and turns depressing the further you get into it. You can tell most, if not all, of the characters know they're horrible people.

mangabrog.wordpress.com/2014/07/06/inio-asano-interview-reality-is-tough-so-read-this-manga-about-cute-girls-and-feel-better/

Asano said we got the worst ending for Punpun.

It's a neat little story but nothing really special. Early on in the series it's stated twice by differing characters exactly how I feel about it: everyone has their problems that they have to deal with.
Some people just have more shit than others, sometimes through little fault of their own. Sadly for punpun he's a weak little creature that never developed the necessary boldness that is necessary in even everyday life, so it's easy to see why the more reckless and bold people took advantage of him and mistreated him. It's definitely a pass from me, but I needed to know.

it's even more depressing when you think about the sequel it got

Oh fug, a Punpun thread, don't do this to me again. I still tear up when I think of the ending and it's been years since I read it. Punpun certainly has its narrative problems, but I don't think any work has ever hit me closer to home. I felt like my soul had been wrenched from my chest and contemplated if there was any point living in a world where a fictional character had been allowed to die.

As for depressing games, most of them are probably going to be jrpg-style (melo)drama, that can often be good, but games that actually evoke a mood of loneliness and isolation are few and far between. Maybe Stalker and Demon's Souls at their best moments capture something of the feeling. I can't say I ever felt sad in DeS, but the repetition in returning to the Nexus and hearing that I have a heart of gold always gave me a lot of comfort and security in a world that was otherwise out to get me. That kind of feeling and a depressive atmosphere are closely linked in my mind, maybe it's different for others

Parasite.

Play Pathologic faggot

Play Team Fortress Classic/Fortress Forever you raging tasteless faggot.

Load up that fun online game that nobody plays anymore.

This, Alternatively you can play some WoW private server that nobody plays and feel the loneliness.

I would literally rather spend eternity in hell than not exist. The way Dante's inferno describes most of hell doesn't even scare me compared to the idea of simply not existing.

No use fearing the unavoidable.

Tales of Xillia 2 has a noticeably darker vibe than the prior game, and with a theme of putting humanity's existence on trial and what people are willing to do for the chance to proof their worth (also notable in that they can wish for anything, so even if someone accomplishes the trial, they can be either completely selfless toward the rest of their kind or be horrendously selfish), theres a lot of suffering to be had. Not just for the prior characters (the way a lot of Fractured Dimensions show a different outcome than the ones that actually happened, sometimes giving the cast a chance to see what might have been, speak to someone they once knew who is now dead, and/or kill someone close to them for a SECOND time), but especially Ludger, whose life, aside from the friends he makes along the way, goes clean into the shitter shortly after the game opens, and none of the three endings are especially happy for anyone, since even the "best" one is bittersweet.

Sorry for the xbox HEUG image

Oh fuck my soul why do these things always hit me so hard

Bliss.

Dante's "Here I describe what happens to people I hate after they die, plus some historical fanwank" hardly counts as good account of possible afterlife.

you only fear it because your mind can't comprehend it, it probably kicks ass

I think eternal existence would get boring after a while, so I accept it.

top jej

Come and See fucked me up pretty hard when I first saw it and still kind of fucks me up when I think about it.

Like seriously what is it with everything Russians make being really depressing? Everything that comes out of there seems to exude "I really want to hang myself :)"

If you were a slav, you'd want to kill yourself too.

Even when they try to capture childlike whimsy it end up being grotesque.

Heavy Rain

They had their entire society dismantled, portions of them ethnically cleansed, and then all of them forced into a new, closed model of society built in the image of Judaism. Only figures.

real life

theyre constantly at war or preparing for war. almost every game they put out revolves around a struggle to survive with shoddy equipment

Go read about Russia history, i can't point to a single time in it's history that wasn't depressing in one way or another Especially for the common folk

Untergeschichte, the demo version.
Because leaving that lady to her own devices is kind of sad. Especially if you already have issues with your own family.
Maybe the full version too.
Because jee, it sure is nice how they turned into a happy family in the end, huh?

maybe for commies.

spec ops the line made me feel all funny for a while.papers please was also decently engaging.

Hotline Miami 2
It's rare to see a game where in the end, it doesn't even matter

Theme park MMORPGs are depression.

Wait, where's when the wind blows?

How is that a bad thing?

It only gets worse when you find out what happened to make that old woman stay where she was.
After all, loss is a universal constant
:^)

Oh right, NieR is up there as well.
Our souls are missing, but our tears still work. That's kinda weird.

And the kid has the responsibility of bringing them back together.

TellTale Game's The Walking Dead Season 1.
Season 2 is shit.
Season 1 is good but flawed.

the new textures are just all around better though. i can look at gravel without puking now

make that post the new gravel texture

so make it look the exact same as the old gravel texture?

:^)

I don't know this seems my own personal hell of never ending torture

Ok, I am genuinely teary eyed.
Fuck these Thai insurance commercials.

It is quite special you contrarian fucktards. It's really well told. The panelling is great, the writing is great. It's a really fucking good comic book.