Rimworld General

Why the fuck are steel walls flammable edition

You know the drill; complain about z levels, harvest tranny oc's organs, and make impenetrable spacewestern fortresses.

0.15b download here: mega.nz/#!okBwXazZ!B7goBkb1W0r3Ed8pZNXtLkYv6ioCVJCtVnjRfSie6co

Other urls found in this thread:

volafile.io/r/HF33Go
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

FUG

it would be really nice if there was a FOSS freedom as in free as in freedom version of this for linux so we could have a Holla Forums server where we all survive together.

Speaking of Multiplayer, would this game not be 3 times more awesome if you run a server and everyone plays the game normal like but then you can send out raiding parties to other players?

i hate this game

Does anyone have the 14e linux version?

IGG-GAMES.COM

Thanks, but they don't seem to provide the Linux version or older versions.

How many more patches is he planning to do? Tynan's stated Alpha 10 was pretty much feature complete, if I recall correctly.

Which is sad given the game is more simple than Prison Architect which is more about management than survival.

I downloaded from there and in the archive were also mac and linux versions

I have some problems with this for as long as i've played this game and it comes down to this

also mods

How do you play this russian clusterfuck modpack exactly aside from mandatory suffering?

use prepare carefully, the game is unplayable without it. start with a miner, a medic and a gatherer + 100 meals.

That might have been an interesting dynamic if backgrounds contributed to how much stress a colonist can handle. You'd expect a medieval farm oaf or a tribal warrior to have no problems roughing it under the stars while a glitterworld pop star would throw a tantrum almost constantly.

It would also facilitate decision making. The Glitterworld Surgeon needs his ass wiped with silk and his fancy tickled on demand, sure, but he'll take a butchered pile of viscera and turn it back into a man.

I'd also suggest editing traits. Getting abrasive or pessimistic on your starting three can spell your doom ten minutes in. I like to give them cold/heat tolerant and sanguine or optimist so they don't kill each other before the end of summer.

yes, the traits are generated on other characters, with edb you can make them more real

What's really getting my goat are the temperatures. I'm in a temperate band with temperatures ranging from 10-29 C on average. Yet, during a heat wave or cold snap, temperatures go down to -30 and as high as 50 C.

There is no where on earth where temperatures swing that much and there is NOTHING on earth that would survive these sorts of swings for long.

well, you aren't on Earth

Holy shit git gud you fucking casual.
Just harvest some wild berries and kill some lone boars. Plant shitloads of food and freeze the meals and if you're too retarded to plant more than enough for 1k rice and potatoes then you might as well kill yourself now because nutrient paste will make them shit their diapers about how bad it tastes.
Getting someone with 6 cooking is enough to make fancy meals which will give everyone who eats them a mood buff. They cost only a small bit more food to make but the mood buff is well worth it and 6 cooking isn't hard to come by.

I'm surrounded by animals from earth, though. How do the trees, let alone the deer and tortoises, survive winters that drop below -50? Why doesn't the landscape burst into flames during heatwaves?

all the animals do have min and max temperature tolerance, and do die if temperature differs too much. It's why one can fight against infestation by extreme heat.

Why would it?

Through evolution probably. Those worlds aren't freshly terraformed. There's even machinery that has been shifted through the ground and risen up into the sides of mountains.
Things need to be dry to catch on fire from heat waves.

I would rather build together and defend with Holla Forums as friends.

How moist are plants going to be after spending a quarter of a season baking in 50+ degree weather? Those are conditions for wildfires, my friends.

The real question is why terraform these planets in the first place? I'm talking about a forest in the TEMPERATE band of the planet having a temperature range of -50 to 50 Celsius. It breaks verisimilitude.

Even then it doesn't happen in most cases. Remember last summer, when half the planet suffered an extreme heatwave? While there were more fires, it certainly didn't make landscape everywhere go up in flames

Because, despite the occassional temperature swings, it is still a lot better place to live than a lifeless rock? There are animals, plantlife, even other people living there. It may not be just like Earth, but it's still a damn good achievement of terraforming, and a place you would want to live in if you wanted to go live on the frontier

Irrelevant. Those come AFTER the terraforming is complete and they wouldn't have a chance of survival given the conditions I'm describing.

Once again, temperate band. We're talking the most mild temperatures on the planet, since the game doesn't really simulate coastal areas. Neolithic tribes die out every time a heatwave hits before advanced clothing is researched. Humanity would NOT get a foothold on this planet.

how the fug do i get food in an icy environment?
there's hardly any animals to hunt, aside from a few snowhares that are pretty much just 1 meal
there's hardly any land that i can grow food on, and then i still have to surround it with walls and heat/light it manually
and even if i do that, when winter comes temperatures outside drop to -50, and even with like 6 heaters in the growing area, it can hardly go over -10

But the guys settling these planets weren't neolithic. They were advanced spacefarers that devolved to cavemen over millenia. There is a town in Siberia that suffers temperatures of -50C, and there are many cities that suffer 40C+ temperatures every year. Suffering a cold wave or a heatwave for just a week is not a problem. Also, the waves are likely only localised, meaning that the wildlife can simply fuck off somewhere with better temperature for the duration of it

you go cannibal

that doesn't exactly help the sanity of the villagers
in fact that's the main reason why i lose
people resort to cannibalism and after that i get a berserk freakout every two minutes

Once again, temperate band. I'm not talking deserts, I'm not talking tundra, I'm talking temperate forest. You need species kitted out to survive both of those temperatures at least once a year, every year.

Yes, it's regionalized to an extent, but heat waves/cold snaps consistently last for a half to an entire season. These things tend to blanket entire counties in the real world, not just a few square kilometers.

It wouldn't be an issue if people grew desensitized over time. But that's more complex than a single bar that empties and fills so we're never going to see it.

That reminds me I need to work out a mental asylum where I feed the prisoners raw corpses.

Well, all the animals you see are genetically modified…

wow that was hard.

And it does happen, half of my games forest just absolutely burns to the ground

user thats gay

and then another person goes mad
and another
and another
eventually everyone is in a hospital bead/grave, and nobody's left to heal you while raiders are destroying your power generators and setting everything on fire
wow, sure is hard, right?

because jet fuel can melt steel memes

Will the SK modpack work with version 15c? It says it's for 14e but I don't know if newer versions break compatability.

Unfortunately it isnt't even that complex, it could be as simple as a sensitivity bar that goes down over time that acts as a function of how much it affects the colonist. Say every time you eat a person it causes 2% less mood loss than the last time so that it scales so that you'll never be 100% unaffected by it but you can be 99.9% unaffected

Rookie mistake. Ideal doctors research, cook, and mend people.

Didn't mention fighting. Said they went berserk.

gg I wish I hadn't bought this

You have only yourself to blame

None of the Hardcore SK mods work what am I doing wrong

The game was recently updated, dude.

Randy random's a bitch.

Shiit nigger what are you doing
How do I fix this

More like randy ravage your ass

Are you retarded?

You never explained why the game being recently updated have anything to do with my problem

No Man's Sky
182 viewers

Star Citizen
356 viewers

Fucking hell, sunlamps are horrible. Is there a better way to deal with these? I can't afford this level of power

Game literally tells you what to do.

So yes?

heater + sunlamps + growing pods

is the power used realistic in any way? 1500? a heater consumes 150?

Jesus fucking christ I didn't know it was that bad. Fuck. I'm always really overstocked on farmables and solar flares kill everything every time I try so I never bothered with those. I guess it's one of those forced balance things. There's a mod for it anyway.

So do you need 2084 to run mods or what, jesus christ I only asked a simple question. It doesn't help the ruskie's instruction makes no sense since he's making me open the same folder twice then jumps step.

Anons, is there a way to turn the solar flare vent off, while still keeping the other events ? Living on an icesheet is hard enough without being at the mercy of the RNG gods.

you construct wood generator, buy wood from traders and have backup in case of flare

Are you the autist who didn't realize that old mods won't work with new versions of the game?
Kill youself.

Build campfires for the duration.

No it wouldn't.

campfires my man, but you can mod out individual events iirc, don't ask how.

Solar flare is especially bullshit because its statistically garunteed to happen once a month and it happens to all planets. When was the last time a solar flare knocked out the power to your house? Yea.

Vents and fires

When was the last time you had a heat wave that raised the temperature to 50 degrees, or a cold snap that lowered it to -50?

You can set events to never happen on world creation.

My point is, these events happen on all planets with no nuance between them. You can't embark on a planet that you know lack solar flares, you get all events on all the planets, and the solar flare event in particular is infamous for its ability to kill anything in a hydroponics tray.

You people bitching about colonists going berserk need to produce a shitload of drugs.
I had over 100 joints in a cargo drop really early in my colony and noone has ever gone berserk because they just get stoned before that happens.

If you want to do poorman's heating, wouldn't it be cheaper to use held open doors?

The solar flare and battery explosion events are both complete bullshit. Solar flares should only disable the trading station and maybe the research bench, it makes no sense that it disables everything. The battery explosion should only affect one battery or a group of batteries that are together.

You know you can use a power switch to turn off the connection to batteries once they get full and they don't lose their charge or explode when a zzzt event happens right?

I always build my batteries in hubs and as one gets filled I turn on a different hub of empty batteries and turn off the full one.

Wow it's like talking to a fucking brick wall

I can read that these mods aren't compatible
I know someone got the Hardcore SK mods going assuming he's using the same MEGA file based on
I'm asking if theres a way around this. Meanwhile you're beating around the bush telling me the same thing I already know, fuck you.

You're not going to get any help with that attitude, so you might as well fuck off now before you get a bunch of angry replies.

Personally, I don't give a shit about your general technical ignorance.

That's the best thing I've ever heard

I tried so hard to think of a way to power my refrigerator without zzt+eclipse rotting all of my shit, but I never thought of storing filled batteries as backup away from the network

dead game dead thread

That modpack is 5 updates old judging by the forums, you're fucked it isn't going to work.

Thats all I need to know, thanks

Are you saying that you're constantly switching your batteries on and off? Because I'm saying you shouldn't have to do that, it's completely pointless micromanagement. You should be forced to do something like that if you want a backup for an eclipse, but not if you want to avoid a bigger fire and losing even more energy if there's an explosion.

What good mods do you recommend

Not switching individual batteries, you keep like 10 of them seperated into hubs attached to one power switch you can flick on and off once they're fully charged.
It takes days for one hub of batteries to fill completely, it just insures that if theres a zzzt event I only ever lose 1 hub of power and there isn't a nuke sized explosion.

expanded prosthetics and organ engineering is the only one that I think is necessary since your colonists lose body parts far faster than exotic traders come to sell you any.
Its updated to the latest version too.

Niice I'll check it out

Look at the github its being updated almost every 2 days, still for 0.14e but with all the stuff the mod adds 0.15 is irrelevant.

and prepare carefully

I tried testing individual mods from that package and all of them lack a bit of this and that. Nothing seems salvageable so I'll just play vanilla until theres one for 15a.

Only if you're a pussy who can't take the RNG.
Personally I don't want every colony start to be completely ideal with the perfect balance of skills, part of the fun is making do with what you've got.
I mean I'll still randomize a couple times to make sure I don't have 3 grannies with dementia and cataracts but still.

You use a line switch, not individual battery toggles. But yeah, zzzzttt is in general a pointless and retarded addition with the only benefit being that it forces you to learn to make a nice looking base with conduits running under walls.

I don't want to play with niggers

I use a mod with fuses because not knowing what a fuse is in 5550 AD is absolutely retarded. It adds 2 tiers, both have to be researched. 1st tier requires component replacement upon tackling the discharge, the second tier requires only manual flicking.

i was surviving fine enough till winter came, and then suddenly -60 degrees everywhere
and only then i noticed that my setup for the base was poor, so even with heater shit was cold
i ran out of wood in about 4 days of keeping the fires up
eventually people started berserking and fighting among eachother, to the point that only the non-doctor was left standing, and he was too retarded to feed the others so they died of malnutrition rather than hypothermia

I use Prepare Carefully but only to remove the major detrimental health factors.
It makes no sense for any organization to throw a bunch of disabled fucks on a space ship to colonize anything.

Wait, that prevents discharge?

No, but I assume what he means is that it minimizes the potential damage as opposed to one running in the middle of a room.

I came to this thread because of the title and I was disappointed

What were you expecting then? There is discussion happening, it's just not that active.

Just play HELLMOO

Well, a rimworld. A world where it's normal for people to rim each other.

Has man gone too far?

Could handle any number of human raids then this singular mechanical fuck just sniped all my turrets and walk through my traps like nothing. Killed my engineer and my gardener before I took it down with a shortbow of all things

Do I need some sort of hallway for caravan? Or do they just dock outside

mmhmm

everything is 1-tile sized, even biggest shit will go fast through 1-wide corridor

I wish I had killed her earlier.

Involuntary organ donation is one of the few things Rimworld has over Dwarf Fortress.

Do colonist haul mined steel home automatically or do you have to designate them under Home area?

yet another failed colony
and it would have succeeded if my people weren't playing with the horseshoes 99% of the time
they just had to go and build a solar panel near the geyser so that the plants near it would have a lightsource, and a natural heat source from the geyser
but nope
gotta play horseshoes
don't mine, don't haul, play with fucking horseshoes
all the fucking time
remove the horseshoes?
going berserk right away
in the end i removed the horseshoes, and naturally productivity increased rapidly
but then some people went slightly berserk and killed each other, and of course it was always the doctor, so we couldn't fight back
in the end a man-eating muffallo came and killed the once again berserk doctor
i fucking hate this game

they should automatically be hauling it to your storage area, if you have one, and if you've set their haul priority right

I mined like 5x5 area of steel then canceled it and had the guy do something else, he'll go back to nab them given theres dumping space right?

eventually he should
EVENTUALLY

Okay man dont hurt me

Feel free to stop posting any time.

it is joke

What's the farm size for 1k food per harvest, or does ii depend on the person's skill?

> finally download and try
> into the breach lads!
Turned out okay, I guess, although I doubt I'll ever be able to provide a robit hand for the amputee.

God damned I wish this game would get finished, I want to play it but I also don't want to play it unfinished.

Pretty much this but I'm just waiting for mods to update

And that's why your killbox should have a wall that makes enemies walk around it into the range of turrets.

Try cleaning up the place and actually making walls. I bet they're fucking disgusted by their environment.

The geothermal vents produce a fair amount of heat. Keep one of those in your base connected by vents to the rest of it. Other than that just make campfires and wood torches. Ideally you shouldn't be using wood for anything other than heat production.

Also tame muffalos and shear them for their wool and make parkas out of them. Mid quality muffalo parkas can get your colonists comfortable at -100C.

The reason why no one told you was because it was fucking obvious that there is incompatibilities between versions.

defendable, I'll give you that but small rooms, shitty walls, dirt and rocks everywhere, no lighting, not using your cooler exhaust to heat your other rooms
You could do a lot better.

i didn't feel like wasting perfectly good steal for walls that are already there
didn't think the colonists care that much

Fucking hell, if you want people to stop using killboxes give your players more options for defence. For that matter, don't let enemies stack in one tile if you're not going to let our boys do the same- melee is beyond useless since every brawl becomes a four man dogpile.

Colonists aren't dwarfs. Their psyches are VERY fragile and they hate dark, rubble, dirt, blood, and non-room temperatures.

It doesn't make sense. You aren't going to stop kill boxes as long we only have two dimensions to work with. Dorf fort solved this problem by putting goblins on giant bats. also by not having guns, something where the very best strategy you can use is setting up kill boxes

Dwarf Fortress also makes melee combat far more robust. Dwarfs are also MUCH more resilient than colonists and armor is more effective.

On top of that, Dwarfs are more EXPENDABLE than colonists. I'll field three squads of ten to meet a siege, in Rimworld the maximum number of colonists I'll have are six to eight.

Fuck you game, I'm fucking done with this pile of dogshit. This isn't fun, this isn't challenging, it's just tedious and random.

Make someone cut the stone that you dig, or deconstruct those walls/floors that appear around the map.

Making stone furniture/doors/walls is a good way to save on wood and steel, plus it's the best material to make walls with.

FUN
F
N

Yeah it really makes you not want to do anything BUT build killboxes since you feel every loss so much more keenly. Also the ability to fire on the move would do a lot to curb them, no idea why that isn't a thing already.

Also if you play anything but ice sheet extreme ironman you should kill yourself.

You know what would make this game more fun?

If the enemy tribes didn't have unlimited people and resources. If each person they raid you with is taken from their pool of people. If you kill them the enemy will have less people to raid you with and collect more resources for them. If you capture them and then let them go healthy, they may randomly leave the enemy and join your team, or in the next raid they will be more merciful somehow, such as more likely to give up or betray the enemy team, less likely to burn your shit, more likely to join if you capture and heal them again…

Maybe if you heal and release someone multiple times, they may gain the hard worker trait when they join you, because they feel indebted to you. And if they betray the enemy, the enemy team might try to specifically target that person during raids as revenge.

…though if betrayal was added as a game mechanic, I bet that your own people would be much more likely to betray you than the enemy's people would betray their team.

The space refugees who drop into your area via escape pod and require rescuing. It never made sense to me that they just walk the fuck off after they are healed. I don't want to imprison them.

I had the mother of one of my colonists fall down, and she just fucked off into the wilderness without saying a word or taking any supplies, and I think she wasn't even fully healed yet. For a "story telling game" that seems a bit off.

You ought to be told some kind of conditions that they require in order to stay, and if the conditions aren't met by the next morning, they will take off.

What am I missing

You need to turn corpses into meat on a butcher table first.

Thanks man

That's just a line from the kickstarter to rope the dopes. The colonists are just bars that empty and fill.

Skills? Empty and fill. Emotions? Empty and fill. Health? Empty and fill. Needs? Empty and fill. Disease? Fill then empty.

My only problem is that I'm running out of steel and components. The colonists basically mined the entirety of the map.

trade with passing ships. It's the only way atm

So what if this guy got his marriage proposal turned down, got cucked, and can't get anyone else? It's not my problem.

Fucking betas, I swear. All he had to do was be a good doctor, cook some meals and be the carpenter but he's having some kind of emotional crisis.

So like, one of your characters is named Cougar right? RIGHT?!

The rebuff penalty is asinine. Unless the guy's a nu-male "nice guy", he's not going to keep getting his feelings hurt when a woman turns him down. Certainly not enough to last for three fucking days each time.

can you mod the game? Is it worth downloading?

There are a lot of mods. Yes download it and try it out. I've sunk weeks into the game

OP should have included the vola link it has .15c which is the latest.

volafile.io/r/HF33Go

how well does the game run your system?

I wish companies would work with the chans to get input,work on the game,then bring back the work to get additional input.

Don;t buy it, as it is a little shitty, and definitely unfinished. But yeah, it's small, and worth downloading I'd say.

It's heavily modded, but the base game is seriously lacking. It has less to do than, like, first release Dwarf Fortress alpha. You know, before there were things like Z-levels or rivers.

is the .15c an update or full game?

I can run the huge maps easily, though there is some lag if I zoom out completely and try and move around too much but I think that's engine limitations. on Large and Medium maps it runs smooth as butter

it's the latest alpha update

You only need .15c.

thanks

Fire while they sleep is the best solution.

I've yet to run into them yet. The game decides I've played enough before I can get deep enough into the game.

Seems once you burn down their houses, they're no longer hostile. STill eat your walls and such, though

Is this a good game that let you ease into DF?

Since Dorf Fort is basically made of ASCII, not really.

You can research the ground penetrating radar to look for ores under the earth.

I would like to see massive colonies in rimworld on the same scale as dorf fort. Looks like the game has a soft cap depending on your story teller (which might be removed for randy).

shit forgot about that, thanks.

no.

Needs to be some better ranged weapons you can get before guns.
A crossbow, for instance.

On an unrelated note, fucking hell, why does everything need components? I gotta buy that shit in bulk near every trader.

This I find to be fucking retarded. Nobody needs a table to cut a fish or a chicken open, all they need is a knife and a flat surface.

An issue I have with the game is too many production tables for too few goods. The stove should also act as the butchering table, for example, and the crafting bench should suffice for most low grade creations.

The heatwaves in this are bullshit

I have over 5,000 human meat and 3,000 human leather. My base has been bombarded by raids with 50 men and I can still take them out with relative ease. The problem is what the hell do I do with all the bodies, I don't have that much storage.

Wait, have you been dumping the bodies in the dump-stockpile? You do know there are graves in this game, right? Post screenshots

It also automatically strips them. Extra bonus.

I've been eating them all. It's on a different computer so I'm not gonna bother doing that much work of taking a screen cap.

Is there a way to limit the use of medkits to serious issues like infections and disease? My first colony failed because my people died to infections from various wounds and scratches and healroot takes like 50 years to grow (and I don't even know if I need to process it with some higher tech bullshit before use).

The biggest problem Rimworld has is the insane restrictions on backgrounds

You shouldn't really worry about running out of that medicine as long as you have a decent doctor. I suggest not throwing your colonists into battle equipped with nothing but their hands. Herbal medicine will do even if it takes a long time to grow. You don't have ot process it.

People get bad thoughts from corpses and the developer thought it'd be a good idea to have corpse disposal be its own tech.

Also this shit happened

They ate almost all of my 6000 meat and veggies in about a season

Unlocking the creamatorium is a fucking godsend though.

Alternately you could just put the body stockpile well outside of your establishment, forbid all colonists but whichever are incapable of "caring" and have them haul the bodies into there.

The world does not breathe. There are no consequences. There are no populations. There are no interactions. It feels like Prison Architect- it's obviously a game about management and nothing more.

Seriously, got a manhunter pack of boomrats. It's so inorganic as an event.

You should be able to put up motivational "shut up and do your fucking job" posters around the fort

Bullshit there are no consequences, try making all of your floors wood and running powerlines under them.

trumbos were a mistake
i had a small colony, food was growing, there was power, everything was nice and clean, people had weapons, we had traps in case of raiders
then a trumbo shows up and i figure that 5 people are enough to kill it, we need the meat while the food grows
we still fucking lost. we even had grenades and we still lost
only one guy survived and managed to hide while the trumbo bled out, but it was alive long enough for me to not be able to save anyone

There are no consequences to the WORLD. You wipe out all the animals, more arrive. You burn the world to ash, everything regrows in less than a week. You kill hundreds of tribals and dozens of pirates; their attacks never reduce in number. Every world is exactly the same, world generation is pointless.

Do you get my point? The world does not react to your actions. It feels fake and gamey- why, on a Rimworld you crash landed on at the edge of known space, do your starting colonists inexplicably have their family already habitating there?

More like Randy Rapist

How in the world did you do that

You can build a wall around it while it sleeps. Make it a few layers thick and it'll starve itself to death.

Though I just use turrets and have someone with bionic legs kite it into them

huskies, in a mated pair, have about three to four pups every two seasons or so.

I was selling like either dogs a year and still gaining more. The labradors just showed the fuck up on their own, all of them. In multiple groups. The timber wolf self-tamed.

As you should

The minigun rips and tears if you're in melee range and have some other bloke tank the enemy, but even then it's unwieldy at best. Pretty shitty for a gun that requires so much research.

Those mutts don't even have happiness bars, why bother.

Why bother with animals at all? Hunting is far more efficient and there's no risk of getting an animal bonded to a colonist with no training skill. Animals don't provide enough meat to be worth the forage they need to feed and they're not particularly good in combat unless they're Muffalo sized or larger.

IT'S JUST SO ECONOMICAL AND FUNCTIONAL

WHY DOES MY RUSTIC FORT ALWAYS FAIL

Hell no it doesn't. I tried, it seriously misses every fucking shot. The heavy SMG had a better hit rate than that fucking thing. I wound up just equipping him with a charge rifle in later fortress attempts.

If you're going to go Hippy, might as well go full hippy and use no power at all except in a cordoned off area

Well a) when they bond with someone they can help with your colonist's mood, but also b) if they're big enough they can haul for you.

Plus, you can sell their offspring and make a decent profit. Every trade caravan that roams through will usually buy animals off you. All you have to do is keep them fed and out of harm's way.

Woah woah woah, we're not tribals here. This is Portland green, not Eugene green.

It's pretty heartless to slaughter a bunch of tame dogs when they wander into your camp, and I guess you could make the nuzzle boost arguement but yeah I agree I slaughter all the pets.

How is your shooting skill?

Spread it out more, think individual houses separated by 5-7 wide streets with sandbag or slag reinforcements on your outer walls. Also try making a few 3-5 wide brick bunkers on your chokepoints and having a decent sniper(s) to take out mortars and you'll be golden.

They eat a fuckton of food, they carry as much as a dog and finally they retain the chance to go berserk.

You need beds to heal and/or rescue animals.

Some of them like alpacas provide limitless wool, which is valuable and makes some of the best clothes. Your colonists will shear the wool automatically, too.

Don't train the animals because otherwise they will follow your soldiers and eat grenades in the battlefield. Instead create an animal area inside your base and restrict all of them into that.

Pets also reproduce so you can make shekels by selling their children.

No you don't, you just need animal sleep spots and they are F R E E

Really? I thought large animals require a bed.

Like I said, 17. He had all bionic limbs, too, so manipulation was "enhanced".

Three beatings later I got sick of his shit and sold him into slavery.

The only animals that are worth it, that I've had experience with, are Muffalo. They produce wool AND milk AND can take a grenade or sniper bullet and recover without any permanent injury.

Every other animal just eats way too much to justify having. I've tried breeding dogs and wolves and they're useless in combat. I've tried chickens and they don't produce enough meat for the space they require. It's just faster and more efficient to hunt for meat and use the grounds for crops instead of hay.

Not true. Get a muffalo herd, they eat haygrass (which you can produce VERY quickly and stores for fucking ever). Give them a little pen, keep them supplied with a couple large grass plots, you'll have milk, wool, and offspring to trade. Takes a bit of setup but it pays off nicely in the end.

Give it a try sometime. I remember my colonist being able to doctor a camel with just a sleeping spot.

Really? Shit then. Maybe you ought to get more people with miniguns to increase the rate of fire :^)

Nah I solved the problem with an entirely automated defense system. It's called "a fuckload of turrets and kill channels", and one really fast colonist to provoke targets.

How do I stop raiders with grenades from just bumrushing my weakest point in a wall and coming in from a weird angle.

Is the answer you don't and just build inside a mountain so you have 1 way in?

put traps everywhere

Anyone have a mod that allows you to take organs out of freshly dead bodies?
Anyone have a mode that has bionic prostehtics for every organ?

The worst part is that your colonists will complain if you do that. I had someone who was running from pirates die before they ever reached my base, and everyone got a mood debuff because "a colonist" died. I actually deliberately told him to attack the pirates because he was fucking worthless, but still

I tend to over-produce food by a lot, so pets are technically free to me.

I don't pay much attention to how much they give vs how much they take though.

Now that I think of it, the problem I had was that the default animal bed isn't big enough for most animals, so you need the bigger one. Maybe a sleeping spot works as a cheap way to handle big pets.

That's what most people are doing.

I don't like to build in mountains though, you can set a very long dumping stockpile and fill it with rocks to create a cheap wall. AFAIK rocks are 40% effective as shields, and sandbags are 65%, but rocks are free.

Well, for starters, try building inside a mountain so you have 1 way in

But if that doesn't work, use traps and turrets, cordone off any sideways routes leading to your front door and set up sort of overlaying fields of fire so that whatever approaches hits the kill box full force. Identify where they enter into the map from and absolutely fuck them from there.

I feel sorry, son.

Triple your outer wall.
Make that shit too thick compared to your primary defense point.

Wall off everything except for one entrance and load it up with traps. Don't put a door on it, just leave it open and they'll go straight for it. Just make sure it has a tile free for your colonists to walk through or they'll get fucked up too.

I've been doing that. But the raid that ended my latest colony had guys spawn with grenades and they just tore through my walls instantly and came in at a weird angle that I did not have defenses for or turrets/sandbags and kicked my ass.

I had a colonist that was cheating on basically everyone, half of the colony was glad he was sold, the other half kept breaking because he was.
You just can't fucking win.

Sappers? If you have IEDs researched you can just place one near your outer wall and detonate it when they're all bunched up coming through.
Otherwise throw down some temporary sandbags and buckle up. Melee guys rushing grenadiers is a good tactic too, especially if you have your melee guy plug the hole they're going through and have a guy with a shotgun shooting over his shoulder. The grenadier will still try to throw grenades but they'll go long so when you hear the throw move your shooter.

I want to fug the firs AI story teller

You mean Cassandra Classic? Yeah, she's pretty good, but Phoebe Chillax is also pretty good.

Phoebe is alright but im into notBayonetta more

Randy Random is best AI.
He fucks you inna ass with an army of wargs before you've set up defenses.

Mechanoids can't aim for shit. Literally all one has to do is put someone with a gun behind the nearest corner, and they're done for (unless you have shit luck and they pack an inferno cannon, in which case you're fucked)

Every fucking time.

can the slug things melee attack? I know the other ones have knife hands so attacking them with a sword is suicide.

For some reason, the enemy always has perfect shots for me.
For the artillery setup speed, that's more because I run a multiplier on work speed because fuck taking a week to build a shitty house.

Yes, I once had a bunch of colonist beat up a slug with their guns and it fought back by hitting somehow.

there is anti fire shit to build

Ages down the line, aye.

Once I tamed and bred elephants and they proved a highly effective way of fucking up raiders and mechanoids.

how did you run out? Just mine for them

I ran out by building stuff. I've already mined all the visible deposits.

mine more, then. In the end game, I tend to end up with a map without a single unmined square. I then wish I could expand into another square.

Or you know… use another Z level.

By that I mean "wish you could use another z level"

select a bigger map at start, with mountains.

I wish the biomes had more things in them.. a frozen lake that you could shot, craters.. volcano, swamp with animals.. devs are cucks

My dog is unconsciious from malnutrition, how do i feed him

Right click him with a pawn.

Doesn't sound like another Z level worth of expansion through mining.

Having enemies tunnel into your base through under ground and shoot you in your sleep sounds like exactly what this game needs

Dwarf Fortress can do it properly.

Z levels ain't gonna happen. The deep drilling thing is clearly countering that direction.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be happening. Doesn't mean the game isn't missing a major feature

It's like starting up a colony with tumblr. Someone triggers you, colonist or not, and later on dies? +10 mood buff. Repel raiders? Dindu nuffin, outsider death debuff. Also seems to be no benefit to better relations with other factions besides more frequent trade caravans. I've had a raid from pirates come in when a trade caravan who supposedly hated them was in my colony. Rather than help, they just took up space, did nothing til a stray bullet hit them then killed off my survivors.

What's some cool shit you've run into you didn't expect the game to take account of?

Also

Permanent brain damage from gunshot prisoners are always fun.

You release them and they just wander around slowly tripping over themselves and passing out every 5 seconds and take fucking forever to finally leave the map.

The same thing happened to me once, they were literally standing in the middle of gunfire doing nothing at all. I think I hit them a few times and my reputation toward them lowered, but I was too busy getting shot at to pay attention.

There's a lot of things this game is missing.

I got extremely interested in Rimworld when I saw you could capture enemy people and build prisons and shit, I thought the game would become very involved and your base would evolve into a very complex system with prison architect-tier prisons and hospitals and barracks and stuff.

But instead what I get is a game that really, REALLY wants your colony to be destroyed as if that's the whole point, people are fragile pieces of shit who go on a murderous rampage if they have to sleep in the same room with someone else, RNG events that constantly fuck your shit up in various levels of unfairness and stupid shit like eclipses happen every other day, there's way more things to shit on you than there's ways to deal with them, you're locked in a single map with limited resources, the game runs like shit if you make the map big enough to handle a big base, there's pretty much 0 complexity when it comes to other factions…

Not that there isn't fun in playing it, but it's one of those games that fire up my inner idea guy because of how flawed it is.

Nigga just play base-builder mode, that's exactly what you want. It's in the game already my dude.

I tried lowering the difficulty but then the challenge was just all gone. I didn't find purpose in going on any longer because the enemy raids were always 1 guy with a shoddy club while all my guys had assault rifles and kevlar helmets and body armor. Increase the difficulty by 1 step and it's back to ass raping RNG rage gods.

I need a reason to build things, and one of the simplest reasons is increasing difficulty level; you have to expand in order to deal with the increasing threats and managing many people and more resources is more complicated than a few.

I hate to say it, but you oughta try getting good because RNG fuckyou events are rarely fatal if you're prepared to handle the situation.

My suggestion; play basebuilder until you have good defenses, stable food, and a nice rec-room/good beer/drug supply. Colonists hardly ever break when they have nice rooms, fine food, and a little free time.

Forgot a major detail. You can change the difficulty at any time. Do so after getting a good foothold.

start with rich explorer
he is 55
a 24 female appears
have them working in the same general vicinity
he gets rebuffed 5 times in a matter of 2 days
rebuffed debuff stacked 5 fucking god dam times no other problems no cannibalism joy fulfilled even smoothed out the stone floors for him and this shit happens.

if you just separate the males from the females by work orders/ zone restrictions this all works itself out.

Savant is really a thing? That's cool.

This "Ate without a table" mood thing is the stupidest shit I've ever seen, and the fact that it lasts 12 hours is even more retarded.

I made a fancy dining room and everything, but people would rather eat two halls down and then get all upset than walk to the table to eat. It seems like you need a table in every other room for them to actually use it.

Well time to start modding it then.

I don't know how to mod videogames. I only know how to make new ones

I can't wait for a new update. I want more building options and realistic fucking raids.

> an angry dyke with no social skills is constantly on the verge of a mental break because she's been insulted
Although I'm glad she started a fist fight, because she's the designated meatshield first line of defense and carries a heavy SMG.

i think i finally got the hang of things
i've built myself into the mountain, i managed to survive a winter via corpses/geyser potatoes
at one point we finished researching hydrophonics, so now we don't need the geyser anymore, and can rely on potatoes for food entirely
the downside is that only one of my 2 colonists can cook/construct/repair/grow
so she's pretty much planting/cooking 90% of the time, even though we've got shit that needs to be built
also turrets ended up being a letdown
apparently, an animal that's attacking my colonists doesn't count as an enemy, unless it's a man-eating one. i've lost 2 recruits so far thanks to arctic wolves/polar bears
on the other hand, one polar bear self trained itself, so we've got that going for us
now just tell me why the fuck there's a man-eating elephant in the fucking icy area

I love that new generation of vidya.

, allow preemptive firing on things just out range but that's not happening anytime soon. At least the RNG gods gave you something manageable. I got a strong psychic event that caused a colonist to strip naked, wander into tundra and eventually died from hypothermia. Couldn't arrest her either, she killed another colonist who tried since she's the sword wielding meatshield

meant for

Fuck posting from a phone. Manual targeting the sentries would do wonders to fix attacking animals

I tried

Your best obviously wasn't satisfactory.

Not really, I find putting a table near to your meal storage makes them use it.

Why do you need all that power anyway? That looks really excessive.

Being able to select what quality meals individuals get should be a thing like with medicine.
I have hundreds of simple meals and the colonists keep feeding the fine meals to the prisoners. I wonder if prisoners can use nutrient paste dispensers themselves if I put one in the prison then say they don't get fed.

Fuck

it was 4 people but some died because of starvation/raiders
these are the only 2 left
i did get 2 recruits after a while, but they died due to turrets NOT attacking wild animals
and i do need more power, i just started installing more turrets and auto doors, and batteries are emptying quick
i hope i can research the thermal generator quick

Set your turrets to be toggle-able.

no i need more power

Geothermal

UNLIMITED POWEEEERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

wait

what

cripplekike confirmed bandit

PROTIP - get embrasures mod

Build bunkers. Place doors and roof. Place a manned turret inside.

Fuck everything up

FUCKING STOP

Does prisoner happiness play a part in recruitment chance?

You used to be able to manually target turrets but it made hunting too easy.

No, but their relationship with you does.

lol jet fuel harambe maga that feel when

If they're unhappy they'll either kill each other, break down the door, or stage a break. If they do try to break out they'll go straight for the armoury and shoot their way out.

How do you accidentally cut someone's lungs, rip off the flesh from their arm, and cut their arm while installing a piece of wood into their leg?

dude pizza lmao

You don't even need to install the wood, just cut out any unshapely lumps so the peg can be fitted neatly.

Fucking up that surgery though, they should video it and play it on the tube TV as a comedy.

Euthanazia time or what? I'm not very far into the tech tree and I just got past my first winter.

these people are retarded

I need to stop buying animals in iceland. They just die almost immediately.

Incidentally, how do you beat lategame raids? They just swarm in with melee weapons, and slaughter everyone. Some odd fifty guys, there ain't much you can do.

Blow them all up.

Pain stopper seems more trouble than it is worth, as it stops your guys from going down, which means they die when they fall in combat.

Painstoppers should be used on meat shields/melee units. AI chip for everyone else.

Can't you build everything out of rock and live like a technological cowboy caveman?

Also, can you make a cannibal character and not be a psycopath? maybe teach the way to your other colonists and eat the fuck out of hostile raiders?

Didn't play the game yet but it looks pretty interesting.

Can you make a zoo of retarded prisoners? maybe even a farm.

Yes, but I believe you get negative mood from butchering human corpses.

You can consume corpses directly I think, at least that command exists when you right click.

i was just about to ask about a similar situation
one of mine was getting a peg leg installed and somehow his spine was removed in the process
is there any way for me to give him a bionic spine?

also posting progress
it's been 2 years
i got more colonists, although one died while trying to repair a turret during a siege
we've nearly researched everything that's useful. now we're just researching the spaceship stuff, and digging for steel/plasteel in the process

Don't the turrets hit the front ones when amassed like that?

there haven't been issues so far

If you redesign your base a lot and move things around, you burn through your component stash quickly since you only get back half the ingredients. Beginners have to fiddle around with heaters and coolers a lot since you don't know how many you need, this experimenting is quiet costly.

At first, I played the game like prison architect where shit only costs money. Rimworld requires more careful planning and sticking with suboptimal placements for a while to get the most out of the resources.

They are never offered in bulk by traders really, so you should start stockpiling as soon as possible, long before you run out. Always buy them whenever you can afford, slowly nibbling together a sizable stock. You can craft them in the end game, but it costs a ton of steel and labor.

It looks like your solar generators are under the natural roof of the mountain. Doesn't that affect the effectiveness?

The shadows are cosmetic I've found, the drop in efficiency is probably because it's 5pm on that screenshot

I'm 99% sure that the game does it intentionally.

Try running low on food any time and you're pretty much guaranteed to get a blight.

you should have researched hydrophonics during your first year

Can I increase their effectiveness somehow? I have them in a lit and heated room and they only grow at 30% rate. Seems like a massive investment to produce even a small amount of food with them. Useful, of course, for situations like these.

either they're not lit, or they're not heated, or they don't have energy
mine are growing at 152%

When you're out of things to do, start an insect jelly farm, going great til the traders killed one of the hives

Doesn't sound like you're heating them enough or using a sunlamp. I get about 150% on average using hydroponics.

Right, sun lamps, that did the tricks. Should've known that and maybe I could've avoided a few dozen cannibalism incidents.

I'm unable top extract the new rim world file

It takes tens of thousands of silver to create one bionic superman (advanced bionics). It's not worth it at all since raids become absolutely monstrous and quantity triumphs over quantity.

What mods do I use to go absolutely crazy with base building?
I want to build libraries, pools, throne rooms, shits like that. I want to build an empire out of my base, not some basic rooms.

help

I'm sure there's more, and better, but that's my shit.

I can see a lot of A14 stuffs in there. Do they behave properly in A15?

Probably most of it's been updated, I just haven't yet.

Well CCL isn't updated to A15 yet and a lot of shits are dependent on it.
I guess I'll lurk around for shits to download.

You need more turrets, I killed a thrumbo with no casualties just lobbing a grenade at it and luring it to the firing line. Turrets solve everything

What sort of weapons packs do you guys use?
I'm getting tired of the base game's frankly rather shitty most the time weapons.

Fucking this. I only really play vanilla but the best weapons in the game are the pump shotgun, the heavy uzi, and molotov grenades. Miniguns are worthless because they can't hit shit, charge rifles are the same, the sniper rifle is only good at the very beginning of long range because of how misses are calculated, and everything else is piss weak or outclassed by something else.

Assault rifles a shit
A SHIIIIIIIIT

I've actually found that charge rifles are pretty okay. They have to be given to people with high shooting, though. Anyone with a shit shooting, you're going to miss every shot.
STill, for midrange, which is most my fights at least, it does okay.
Same for the charge rifle, but even worse. It pretty much can only be handed to 20shooters to expect anything.

Haven't had any luck with the pump shotty, myself. I usually just hand out survival rifles, frankly, since when it comes down to it, that's what preforms the best the majority of the time.

I've just gotten lucky and looted about 5 sets of frags. I just tell my colonists to barrage the only entry point with them til anything incoming is dead, works wonders on infestations. A bunch of the mods don't seem like they're updated to 0.15 though

If you have a guy right against the back of another one, they can shoot over their shoulder without ever risking hitting their buddy. Having a shielded melee guy in a doorway with a pump shotgun behind them is really effective at bottle necking and dishing out massive damage.