ITT: Freeware games

EXCLUDING: F2P/P2W/Cosmetic garbo.

Let's start discussing some freeware games, preferably of names not many people have heard about or are underrated, and if possible, lets not talk about the usual suspects which are, in some way or another, relatively known to everyone or almost everyone on this board (Cave Story, Dwarf Fortress, OFF, for example), but hey, nobody's stopping you from discussing them here.

And i'm going to start off by showing off a series called Sluggish Morss, which are games or really, weird interactive stories that are relatively known for their collage, crazy visual style, story-telling and weird atmosphere with all of them including really good and well-made electronic soundtracks. The latest one called Ad Infinitum which came on January of last year. Feel free to check 'em out down here.

Links:

Sluggish Morss: gamejolt.com/games/sluggish-morss/12218
Sluggish Morss: A Delicate Time In History: gamejolt.com/games/sluggish-morss-a-delicate-time-in-history/12298
Sluggish Morss: Ad Infinitum: gamejolt.com/games/sluggish-morss-ad-infinitum/43557

Other urls found in this thread:

mooosh.tv/
wolfire.com/black-shades
digipen.edu/fileadmin/website_data/gallery/game_websites/rumblebox/
reloaded.org/download/Akuji-Demon/77/
qrostar.skr.jp/index.cgi?page=jelly&lang=en
piratehearts.com/blog/games/you-have-to-win-the-game/
konjak.org/
freeware.remakes.org/index.php
lsdrevamped.net/download/
lsdcassettes.bandcamp.com/releases
dan-ball.jp/en/javagame/ranger/
games.digipen.edu/downloads/DigNRig_Setup?id=1170&proj=24629
kongregate.com/games/Hamumu/robot-wants-ice-cream
delicious-fruit.com/
cwpat.me/fangame-intro/
gog.com/game/tyrian_2000
ivan.sourceforge.net/download.html
aaronbishopgames.com/
uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files
kingdomofloathing.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

your mother

Bump, I'm sure theres an infographic on free games, but I don't have it.

As far as i know there are two of them that are frequently posted when threads like this are made, but sadly, i don't have any of them stored.

Bump.

Don't know if it's updated or not, but there you go.

Also, I can't recommend Tower of Heaven enough. It's short, fun challenging, and 2deep4u but not enough to distract from the gameplay. You could even say the story adds to the gameplay.

Void pyramid.
Found out about it yesterday and I'm loving it.

Has anyone been able to play Façade lately? I tried installing it to fuck around a bit and it wouldn't work for some reason.

Don¿t ask me, I'm running Linux

I remember this board playing the "Im null" game which was a spooky/creepy game that had an online aspect to it that had vector graphics, which was pretty fun finding out the weird and cryptic shit it had to offer us. Case in point, this thing: mooosh.tv/

Chart's pretty good, but it has some missing gems like The Black Heart, HitOthers and maybe some Jack Spinoza game of some sort.

Agreed. A little updating would be nice.

Have no idea what other games would be good contenders for the chart if it was to be updated.

Start with vid related. Played the shit out of this years ago.

I think I'll pass for now.

I like trolling through gamejam archives and obscure indie sites looking for random shit that's weird or fun
really makes me want to dedicate more time and just work on small games I can throw into the ether for experience's sake

(noice)
I feel you, user.
Having a toaster pushed me to look for simpler games that would tickle my fancy. Many are way better than a lot of commercial releases. Some of the gems I've found are:

A fun Boss Rush game.

An awesome Boss Rush game made in the Mugen Engine. Tons of characters and bosses.

A mix of R-Type and Gradius. It's a fun experiment

A Megaman X styled fangame. Very rough around the edges, but still fun

A very good Metroidvania

A demo made by an /agdg/ bro, mixing Zelda style gameplay with more ActionRPG elements. I really hope he gets to finish his game sometime.

A Gianna Sister's game, hard as fuck. It runs on anything, so go get it.

Want Classicvania with the aesthetics of Symphony of the Night? Play this gem.

A hard as fuck Megaman fangame, with nice music and level design.

Fun platformers inspired by Cave Story

Super Mario Bros with the portal gun, makes for nice platforming puzzle design. It has a map editor and many fan made levels. made with the LOVE2D engine.

A shitton of fan made levels and game modes with this engine. Supports 4 players and gimmicks from the whole series

A fun and short horizontal shmup by doujin developer picorinnesoft

Beats of Rage, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Battletoads, Contra Locked N' Loaded, Night Slashers, Knights and Dragons among many others.

A very well done game made with the the Doom engine Sourceport ZDoom. It's better at being Chex Quest that Chex Quest itself.

Also, bumping with the Doom Mods and Maps charts since they more or less count (Who the fuck buys the old Doom games nowadays?)

i read Frogatto was no longer free, but i really dunno

The last time I looked it up, I stumbled upon price tags, so I guess you're right.

It's still open source, though.

The only thing that I actually regret about using Linux is that many old freeware and fangames don't work with WINE

this looks like the kind of garbage vinny would play on stream

This game in particular doesn't run that well on Win7 either. I mean, it runs if you disable explorer.exe

I'll try to fiddle around and see if it runs well.
It looks pretty fun

OpenClonk is a neat/obscure German game that plays something like Liero, but with basebuilding and vehicles in some maps. It's pretty similar to the older Clonk games if you've ever played them.

I looked it up
It seems quite good, and has a nice community
(they're still making maps to this day)

I'll give it a try, thanks user!

Black Shades
You play as a bodyguard with psychic powers trying to save a VIP in a crowded street. Every now and then you get a special zombie stage where everyone tries to eat the VIP.
wolfire.com/black-shades

RumbleBox
It's a straightforward beat 'em up with ska music in the back. You're filling the box you're stuck in with the pieces of your fallen enemies in order to escape.
digipen.edu/fileadmin/website_data/gallery/game_websites/rumblebox/

Akuji the Demon
It's a cute Metroid-like. You play as Akuji who lost everything, and got his power sealed away in crystals. So you decide to venture in the castle where those crystals are to regain your power. Note: for the game to work on modern OS, you need to find a copy of d3drm dll (it's an old Direct3D library for Retained Mode) and modify the game's system ini file to disable fullscreen.
reloaded.org/download/Akuji-Demon/77/

This game was the shit. I'm surprised noone talked about Super Mario XP yet.

Jelly no Puzzle
You move blocks of jelly left and right with your mouse and have to make sure that no block stays alone. Simple and challenging.
qrostar.skr.jp/index.cgi?page=jelly&lang=en

oolite is nice

There was a period where the picture of him on his Wikipedia page had him in a diaper.

What the fuck happened to you, Nifflas?

Nobody should, since money spent on them just goes to Zenimax~

You Have to Win the Game
It's a screen-by-screen jump and explore kind of game, with one hit kill and CGA-like graphics.
piratehearts.com/blog/games/you-have-to-win-the-game/

He was probably butt buddies with people like Grayson or Hernandez which explains how his games always wormed their way up any game recommendation list

I love Warframe.
It's an amazingly good game considering it's fully free!

There was RTS game where you controlled space ships that were made of individual pieces. It wasn't only squares, there were triangles and trapezoids and stuff too. There were shields, but they didn't absorb a set amount of damage like they normally do in games, they would instead make the a piece of the ship invincible temporarily. There were a bunch of special weapons, one that I remember was a missile that would let you draw a path with your mouse then it would follow that path and shoot a laser at the end. Does anyone know the name of this game?

Another old one: Noitu Love and the Army of Grinning Darns
konjak.org/
It's a tongue-in-cheek beat'em all platformer. It's playable only with keyboard (shift and ctrl).

Just found this website, if anyone feels like digging:
freeware.remakes.org/index.php

LSD Revamped.

Not sure if this has been talked about before, this thing essentially got recognition by Osamu Sato himself, but it is essentially a free, fan-made project by one dude trying to remake LSD: Dream Emulator, to PC on the engine that shall not be named Unity. Work is still in progress, dev's pretty much still in contact with people still interested in it and apparently in the future there will be mod-making and a map editor for people to sink in their teeth to make some surrealistic and devilishly creepy/eerie atmospheric maps.

Download link: lsdrevamped.net/download/

Oh, and by the way, the original game's soundtrack composed by Osamu Sato is available for free, but can drop in some money if you feel like supporting him at Bandcamp; you gotta listen to these tunes if you like IDM/Breakcore/Ambient or all of these just mixed together into a fantastic electronic record.

LSD: Original Mixes link: lsdcassettes.bandcamp.com/releases

dan-ball.jp/en/javagame/ranger/

is lsd worth a play through?

If you like exploration, surreal environments and weird visuals, then you'll probably like this game. If you don't and sounds like too much of a walking sim, then just give it a pass.

Does piracy count?

Well, obviously no, because piracy is downloading games for free that have a price-tag to buy and play. Freeware is well, just free to begin with and doesn't have a price-tag.

Considering the original drops to 5 fps and stutters it's the perfect choice.

Actually the game so far runs perfectly fine right now in its alpha state.

Someone needs to make a list of links to these games or add them all in a .zip or something. Free games are such a hit and miss, and if lists Knytt and Cave Story so close together, I'll bet it's going to be mostly miss with those. Some of these games are also very difficult to find even if you know the name.

Dig-N-Rig is a fun, fairly short game where you play a robot and must dig for resources so you can buy upgrades and dig more, until you get to the very bottom of the map. It's like a comfy and very different kind of interpretation of the concept of Motherload.
games.digipen.edu/downloads/DigNRig_Setup?id=1170&proj=24629

Robot Wants is a series of flash games where you go back and forth a map collecting upgrades until you can reach some goal. Just look up "robot wants game" and you'll run into them.

Here's one of the later and better ones
kongregate.com/games/Hamumu/robot-wants-ice-cream

Exactly

That game was the shit. Still haven't finished it yet.

It's quite fun. If you liked it you can check "Super Win the Game". Although it's not free, it usually goes for cheap DRM-free

(off by one)
Obviously not. It might as well be a "videogames general"

There are some great free Arena Shooters like Xonotic, Red Eclipse and Warsow

Obviously not for everyone but IWBTG fangames are all free and can sometimes be very good, a few have pretty high production value for what they are too (Take the Time Machine 2, Justice Guy, Kill the Guy) although there's also a lot of games that aren't worth playing at all.
delicious-fruit.com/
Is a good place to start / find one you might like.

Forgot one other link
cwpat.me/fangame-intro/

Never mind, I found it. It's Battleships Forever.

This game is the shit. It has the story and music handled by the guy that made the music for Deus Ex and it's got very good gameplay. It's a very fun shooter.

Free on GOG gog.com/game/tyrian_2000

I discovered this thanks to Joel. It's a rogue with a great sense of humor and near dorf fort levels of absurdities. Honestly a lot of fun

ivan.sourceforge.net/download.html

Did it and found nothing, what's going on?

Holla Forums messes with files that contain more than just an image. Either that or somewhere down the line someone resized or edited the original.

IVAN is just amazing. Try Tales of Maj'eyal too.

SoulFu:
aaronbishopgames.com/

Have you guys ever heard of this? Its made by the dudes who made Harmony, and while its very interesting, sadly its short as fuck.

I suspect the original file was a PNG and it was then converted to JPG, losing the data in the process. Tried something earlier, and it seems to work:
>>>/test/33528

Scratch that.

Gang Garrison 2.
I'm surprised the game's still alive

4 playable characters, only 2 players.
Don't get shit mixed.

The Dark Mod got a new release in July and it's the closest you will ever come to a new Thief game.

Did they ever get around to making the audio side of things better?

I don't know, I've only played it a few times, in what way was it broken?

I know that we're past these types of games in a lot of ways, but this one has a special place in my heart.

I've heard plenty of people say it was inferior to the way thief does positional audio and I remember coming to the same conclusion after giving it a try, I've seen they're trying a new audio thing recently so I'm wondering if they've fixed it.

I'd have to replay Thief to compare, but I don't think they have.

It's just not the same without demoniggering your teammates outside of the map and building sentries where they should never be.

Don't let this thread die, g-d damnit.

Has anyone else tried Neverball? I think it pretty fun.

there was a flash game on newgrounds, very similar to braid, sprite based, and the beginning is a guy who breaks up with his girlfriend

the whole game is dark, there's multiple ways to rewind/freeze time to jump on yourself to get through areas, but each area has a quote/poem or something

i remember your sprite has a guy in a tophat I think. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Daggerfall is free now
uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files

And here's a weird game that amused me for longer than it should have:
kingdomofloathing.com/
It's a free to play, HTML-based MMORPG, if that even makes sense.

Treasure Adventure Game (free on GOG) is a fairly entertaining little romp.

What's the matter, Shlomo, afraid the Lord will see you in this sinful place looking for free games to charge money for?

The Company of Myself.

It's alright. It is what it is. You know they're making a full-fledged RPG based on it, right?

AAAAAAAAAAAA thanks user

fuck this was killing me

I know, brother. G-d help those who find free things.

Bumping with some Mari0 gameplay (the only video I could find without some retard screaming like mad)

I just wanted to bait someone into bumping this thread. Thanks a lot, user. I'm South American, so playing games for free is a given.

Forgot the embed, fuck

How long before this gets C&D'd?

It's been out since like fucking 2009, user. It's popularity has come and gone. Nintendo/valve would have done something by now but it'd probably be a complete waste of time considering it would be under parody or some shit.