Persona 5 Thread

DAY BREAKERS OVA IS OUT ON NYAA GET IT WHILE ITS HOT

JPN release is also less than 2 weeks away so lets talk about what we're expecting on release aside from the obvious shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.neogaf.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2
archive.is/8hzWC
youtube.com/watch?v=Jf-6D9bkYKw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well I want it to be a good game, that's pretty much my main concern.

It's gonna be a good persona game, endlessy shitposted by SMTfags.

I like both series and i think the two fanbases should be as far as possible from each other at all times, they're both insufferable, especially when they argue like children.

I like the cover. They look like they're about to drop the hottest mixtape of the year.

Can't wait to avoid spoilers for several months.

My bro Andras has come a long way.

Does the protag have a name?

Not yet.

whats in store for Persona 6?

The last good persona game was the two 2 games. This has no signs of being remotely close.

Green.

It's gonna be a prison Persona, probably.

Getting blueballed out of my xmas cake…again

And this motherfucker is gonna negotiate with demons?

Haven't really been following the updates. Is the JP audio DLC still a longshot if?

That's my thoughts as well.

The last good Persona game was Persona Q. While it's flawed, at least it has first-person dungeons, battle formations and proper fusions unlike P2.

What?

Not in Daybreakers, they call him Leader or Joker. I think in the first 20 min. vid they named him Shujin Kou, which is a pun. I might just call him that.

I assume that's last name → first name?

The stupid fanservice doesn't make the game any less good mechanically. It's the only proper Persona dungeon crawler since P1.

Shujinkou means Protagonist in Moonrunes.

I'd prefer no voice at all and just be text. Voice acting kills RPG's for me.

I checked again. They named him Chair-kun. I don't know where I got that memory, but I'm calling him that.

Well maybe the options will have a way to turn voice volume down to 0, so you might be able to create that artificially.

NO MARIE, NO BUY

NO BUY, NO MARIE

Daily reminder Futaba is a tiny girl.

Oh, and the anime is actually okay. I assumed it was gonna be a total disaster. But it paints a surprisingly good picture of P5's grey morality, and the action scene's not bad either. It was quite cool to see Mithras fight.

NO JOEY, NO BUY

NO IGOR, NO BUY

He ded user, let it go.

NO DOUBLES, NO BUY

NO YOSHITSUNE, NO BUY

NO LINEBECK,
NO BUY

also wanted to repost this cap from a certain other chan that might be useful to some of you later.

BOSTON SALT SOON, FELLOW STALKER

More like Tokyo Salt.

Well out of the 4 animation studios Atlus choose from Sony they chose the really bad one in terms of animation. They had the option to choose Shaft, A-1, Ufotable, Trigger and pick A-1 which does a lot of poor quality animation

I bet A1 is stupid cheap though. Must be why they make a lot of adaptions or promotional crap

It depends on the budget money they get, Sony forces them to be great tier for the promotion videos for Fate/Grand Order, while everything else is cheaply made.

I wonder if the demon battle screenwriting had any Kaneko supervision behind it.

It's pretty good. It's basically just a showcase of how stealing people's hearts works.

Basically, they investigate info posted to their site, go into someone's heart through their app, then fight their negative emotion demon and excuse it, which makes the person loudly and publicly admit to any wrongdoing. It's kind of fucked up, but I like it.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this works in terms of mechanics.

According to the director in the SMT 4 artbook Kaneko is active as a consultant he approved all the shit that was in SMT IV.

I know. He got some credit for Final/Apocalypse too.
I hope he sticks around for a long time. My biggest worry is that he might get lung cancer from all the smoking.

NO MARIE, NO BUY.

I just found it similarly amusing, that's all.

English Persona has never said fuck, and I think P4 had the most curse words in a Persona game. I know Lotus Juice says "Hell no, fuck that" in Burn My Dread. I don't know about any instances of it in the JP dub.

Not going to lie, this is bad. This is legitimately bad. They are going to be like shitty generic anime again, just like p4 was.

They could at least try to mimic his voice acting, or appoint a voice actor with same voice.

Watching the OVA it shows that this Persona

tl;dr It's trash

skip it

Your bait was fine until here. This is just objectively wrong.

It's a tor post; What'd you expect?

That said, every Persona game has top-tier music.

(checked)
Except 2. 2 has the worst music out 9f any jrpg ive ever played except for the final boss music. i liked that track

So was Day Breakers just a one off or are there several OVAs?

Of all the P2 criticisms I've ever heard, this is the first one against the music. When I hear these tunes, I hear greatness.

It's just that one OVA. They haven't officially confirmed any more. But let's not kid ourselves. P5 is Atlus' new cash cow. It's going to have a billion anime episodes/movies milked out of it sooner or later. It's just a question of how soon.

I almost want to say that them being used due to shitposters/shills fucking with their site will be the big TWEEST. The big question is who is going to make them do it for free?

Try listening to that shitty battle music constantly.

Japan didn't like the writing because the writers shoved his OTP in the game.

Daily reminder that localization will kill the 2chan girl and make her spout tumblr and youtube memes.

why haven't you learned Japanese user-desu?

TatsuyaxJun, or TamakixWriter?

Tamaki

You have any proof of that?

That would explain him not not being in EP due to being "chased off by assassins".

Well Tatsuya x Jun is Kaneko approved so and yaoi was popular at that time I think

Anne is best semen demon, Futaba and Makoto need not apply.

fuck

We all know Chie won the last one.

I wonder who will win this one?

Only if you have SHIT TASTE

Come on we all know Fuuka won WWI and Rise won WWII.

Waifu war never changes.

Thats not aigis

god what is it about firm pubescent tits that just makes me want to have an angry wank

I guess P2's battle music is kind of bland, but I don't see how it's any worse than hearing "BABY BABY" all the time.

These are both true. Though that's certainly not saying much.

You take that back!

UTMOST CRIMINAL ACTIVITY RIGHT THERE.

Because they aren't fair, user. At they're most perfect, they're only legally available to teenaged shitheads.

I still think Sayoko's SL was picked up by another writer after the third or so. That tonal shift is whiplash inducing.

All of P4's waifus were shit. SHIIIIIT. At least P3 had Aigis.

And Elizabeth. And Fuuka.

BTW, anyone else notice how the cast of 5 borrows from previous games? Makoto borrows Mitsuru's motorcycle quirk and SCP position. Haru has Mitsuru's Ojou qualities and Ai Ebihara's forehead and hair. Goro is the high school detective who at first seems to oppose the group but joins later like Naoto. Stuff like that?

Elizabeth was pretty good, but what was so good about Fuuka? All I can remember about her was that she can't cook.

Come on, we all knew it happened, just offscreen. Do you really think they would show it?

This. I'm enjoying Q more than I thought I would. You get rewarded for playing smart.

Wrong on both fronts. For P3 it's Toriumi with Aigis being a close second. For P4 it's Margaret

>Single OL Toriumi
You've got some pretty good taste. Though, Toriumi's ending was almost as disappointing as Sayoko's. Well, at least Margaret makes out with you

So that's what halfchan is like these days.

Good. I'll make sure to make the best with spoilers.

fuck weebs

An actual wet blanket.
You can't even fuck it. Fuck it.

I didn't play much of Q. I assume it's at least better than 3?

what about fellatio?

One of the other best colours, Purple.

are you trying to cause trouble or are you just a really stupid pleb with no taste?

No, its not.

It's generic anime shit as fuck.

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND

IT WILL BE
WORSE
THAN PERSONA 4

THIS WHOLE GAME'S THEME AND DESIGN WAS LITERALLY LIFTED WHOLESALE BY SMUSHING PERSONA WITH LUPIN III

You think I'm kidding? I'm serious! The whole thing (which they claim was inspired by a novel genre) is lifted from Lupin III and I can guarantee it's because during the dev process the new Lupin anime had gotten announced and came out.

Everything shown so far, even in tertiary character design, is reminiscent of Lupin faces. And that Egypt stage? Running down the side of a pyramid during a chase? That's directly lifted from Lupin's opening, although there it was Zenigata chasing the gang and not just a boulder.

Anyway, point is, P4 clearly had some undertones and certain shot compositions and character designs inspired by Death Note but it was just vague enough to ignore or pass of as simple inspiration. Here? The entire shift is directly lifted from the source of inspiration: a really, really old (and great) anime/manga series.

They even named the main persona Lupin for crying out loud!
Yeah, I know, but do you seriously think any Japs know anything about the original Arsene? I bet they did a quick web search for the Persona bio and that's it.

Call me crazy, but the more something relates to anime, even good anime, for inspiration, then the more "anime" it becomes.

Futaba's commercial is out

That's nice, honey, now go to bed.

Nigga everyone's read the Sherlock Holmes with Arsene Lupin before. You been living in a rock?

NO MARIE, NO BUY.

Chie is good for a one night stand, Rise is used goods, and Yukiko is the closest thing to waifu material once you teach her how to cook.

Liking Marie or the girl who wants to be a boy just confirms your shit tastes and sexuality respectively.

Why do you people keep spouting these lies? It just goes to show you never figured out the message of her route.

No, she was sad because she thought if she was a boy people would take her seriously. For such a high IQ he/she sure can't grasp basic logic like the fact people didn't take her seriously for a number of reasons.

isn't protag just a big guy?

Persona 4 is a masterpieces, contrarians btfo

Persona 4 is the Citizen Kane of video games. Prove me wrong.

YOU CAN'T

Psssh. Citizen Kane? When are movies going to have their Bioshock Infinite moment?

Learn to fight like a man.

Please kill yourself.

Next you're going to whine about waifus and pedos aren't you?

m.neogaf.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

There's your home.

why cant people type correctly?

This is literally the gayest shit I've ever seen in my life.

No Marie, no buy.

NO MARIE, NO BUY

memeing waifufags are the worst.

Marie is paid DLC

Naoto x Rise is the true answer to the waifu war.

You can't just ship straight girls into dykes.

Nigger please

The only thing I liked is that you fight actual demons now instead of shadows. Oh well, at least a couple of the waifus look decent I guess.

Are you kidding me that sounds like the best fucking thing ever.

On paper, sure, but not like this

Jojo was good on paper. Then when it wasn't on paper it turned to shit. Thus is the reason the manga is better.

Secondaries are people too.

I don't disagree

Not nearly as trash as P3's and P4's personas

Bitch please…

JoJo is good on and off paper though

My man. Naoto is ok too.

She's a robot so a vagina add on isn't out of the question.
Or
We can hold hands

Shit, I can't believe I forgot about P3's best girl, older Yukari. It's really like P2. Now I'm pissed about how we barely get payoff with Christmas cake. This game better have damn good CC payoff.

Barely even got any lewds of her.

Don't get your hopes up.

Atleast Falcom is giving me the cake and letting me piss off all the other romanceable girls by picking the cake.

atlus gave us the ss pay off in p3p so why not the cc?

Because filthy otaku only want to date young girls not older women.

I wouldn't call Sara a Christmas cake.
25 isn't that old user I-is it?

Considering Christmas Cakes are so named after cakes being sold on the 25th of December (you're supposed to eat the cake on the 24th with your special someone), she just qualifies.

The hold Christmas Cake term means unmarried women over 24/25.

What game?

checked
Same with Ms. Kashiwagi from P4.

The trails of Cold Steel games

Trails of Cold Steel.

In what fucking dumbshit ass backwards universe is that a BAD thing?

They gotta find something to hate about it, or else they might enjoy a modern Persona. SMTfags would explode and P2 fans wouldn't be able to say it's the only good Persona anymore.

I'll have to try it, I liked Trails in the Sky.

I'll give it a shot, she seems worth it.

I agree. It looks more than ok compared to the previous games. It looks like a stylish Lupin game and yet it's getting shitted on for some reason.

Damn time really does fly after 6 years of waiting

I really should get the fuck out of here before the spoiler leaks show up and tell me Morgana is secretly Hitler and the protagonist nukes Tokyo.

I'm leaving after tomorrow. I'm actually kind of looking forward to doing things other than shitposting here for a few months. I might come back when The Fractured But Whole comes out.

The soundtrack from the Ova sounds good, hope it comes with the game, and not as a standalone, with me waiting awhile before release. Anyone know what genre type this is? Funk?

Also that Zoro persona looks pretty awesome.

The setting looks more modern urban than P3, which is interesting to me.

Acid jazz. And the game takes place in a real city, as opposed to P3 and P4. The year is also listed as 20XX.

It's the game's normal battle theme, actually.
Also, PV 02 had the instrumental version of it.

PV 02 was never officially released, right? It got leaked before and they just kind of let it be.

I can't wait to hear PV 04's theme clean.

PV02 was the most unimpressive one, since it was basically PV01 again with a bit more Yusuke hinting.

Really? It definetly re-used some segments, but I thought it was an alright PV. It even showed us the Persona Awakening.

Looks like they changed some stuff between it and the first released 20 min. The blue masks the shadow guys had were Purple Hearts, and you fought Norn instead of the Bull demon it seems.

Why is she so small? I wanted rock her three foot world, but then the game police might arrest me for going out with a elementary student.

That's the third best Etrian Odyssey game.

The basic premise of SMTIV has been kicked around in the SMT team for a while, they talk about it in the Persona 2 fan disk that came with the english version of EP.

She's 15, but being a shut-in stunts your growth.

Either way, it'd probably still look weird to see a regular sized or bigger person going out with a midgit. Not to mention I'd be afraid of breaking her.

I don`t see anything wrong with it, the world needs more Phantom Thief stuff,that shit is fun as hell. Also :

Persona was always like a big fucking anime weeb soup. You go around summoning demons using the power of friendship,you have beach and hotspring events, and in the second game you fight sci-fi nazis that came out of someone`s imagination and the last boss is Hitler using the Longinus Lance and summoning a god out of an H.P Lovecraft novel as a Persona.

Not to mention all the waifus the game throws at the main character`s cock along with a note that says : " Start a harem you dingus ".

Except when you a fgt or stronk indepandt wonan.

Famitsu Review is out, it got 39/40.
archive.is/8hzWC
Also they apparently revealed that the game has 80 hours of main story content.
So yeah this game is gonna be long as fuck.

Standard.

Don't they have low as fuck standards?

How long did they say P4 was, because 80 hours sounds about normal to me.

And engage in nakedly bought reviews.

My playthrough of P4 was 90 hours but I was taking it slow.

I had one over a hundred, but I would leave the game on sometimes in the middle of a dialogue sections and come back hours later.

It is at least about the size of P4G

That's a pretty good amount. As long as its about the same length I'll be happy.

Anyone got any good names for the Protagonist, since odds are until the inevitable anime we're not getting one?

Kou Shujin from up the thread sounded pretty good to me.

I'm just looking for options and seeing what other user's think.

Persona 3 and 4 were "70 hours," yet they both took me just over 100 to beat them my first try.

Harry Potter

I think i took 80 hours for p4 and 60 for p3.

I still don't see what's so great about Harry Potter. I guess I was too late to get into it.

While I liked the series growing up, I did grow up with its original release for the first few books. But even if you don't like them, the protagonist of P5 is definitely Japanese high school Harry Potter.

So what are the mains' upgraded Personae gonna be?

Arsene- Arsene Lupin
The rest I don't know since they change a lot.

Arséne > Lupin III

Really, it's impossible to tell. The only one that followed a predictable path was Izanagi to Izanagi-no-Okami. Orpheus became Messiah. Polydeuces became Caesar. Jiraiya became Susano-o. There's just no way to predict it.

Bump save.

I could see them taking the pop culture characters and evolving them into more basic archetypes, have Arsene become Prometheus, Kid become Odysseus, Carmen become Venus, or something like that.

Unlikely. Their inspiration is picaresque heroes and outlaws.

That does seem most likely. It would create a strong contrast with the fact that all the bosses we've seen thus far have been adults who've turned into classical mythological beasts. We've seen Sphinx, Asmodeus and Beelzebub thus far.

Lupin with a generic Japanese last name. Have you not been reading the thread?

Nah since 3 there was always a theme for Personas, 3 were Greeks, 4 is Japanese, and 5 are thieves

Venus is already taken though

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

HE IS INTERNALLY MONOLOGUING IN FIRST PERSON

WHY?! THIS SEPARATES THE PROTAG FROM THE PLAYER– IT'S "YOU" FOR THE NARRATION WITH JOINS PLAYER + CHARACTER

AND THOSE ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE & LIMITED DIALOGUE OPTIONS!
But you people will defend this.
Game is lookin' real garbage. Futaba is best by default, though

Also combat looks visually obnoxious

I wouldn't even have time or the tenacity to play 80 hours of JRPG anymore but damn, I still figured I'd at least give a damn.

Oh no. He's not a dull, boring blank slate
What a disaster.

Shit, she's tiny.

Oh god that visual clutter why, is this an attempt to make their turn based combat system more dynamic, not by changing the combat god no, just nausea inducing panel lay out.

I bet you would be REAL fun to play tabletop RPGs with.

Why would people like you ever touch SMT or Persona? Get away from JRPGs– you're the reason WRPGs vidya are dead. We don't need you dragging the medium down.

Come on now, son.

Tatsuya had a real personality, it was having both aspergers and CRAWLING (literally) IN MY SKIN.

My point exactly. It reminds me of older businessmen wanting to appeal to the young crowd by changing things drastically into something "hip" and "cool/fresh"

It's awful.

Tatsuya and Maya are a bit iffy because they're given such strong personalities in the counterpart games.

oops sage was left over from shitty day of devs thread

Maybe in Eternal Punishment, but in Innocent Sin he was the player.

Your arguments are stupid.
Because they didn't directly effect the story? They effected the experience of the player, the one thing which matters most about a videogame.
No one cares about your personal experience. Your personal experience does not shift a genre's focus on player-character immersion.

Diverse in tone, and more often than not there were minimally 3 dialogue lines, but whatever. Tone is what's more important. It was almost never just "Meh" and "No" but hey maybe I'm dismembering.
I do know that no SMT/Persona/Summoner game broke the unwritten code of giving the player too much personality, to the point of referring to themselves.

Pretty sure I could be a jerk, a lech, a shyguy or a cool guy in Persona 3 too, and that all depended on the choices. Could be wrong, it's been ages. Still, I know the game wanted YOU to be the character It's one of the few things that game did very well– be a roleplaying game.

What were you playing, Tales Of titles? What's the matter with you? How could you even deny this fundamental aspect of the Persona series since P2? Persona without proper player-immersion is like Devil May Cry without proper combat tricks. How did you even survive P3 or especially P4? For the rich tapestry of deep storytelling they had?
Come on now.

Yes, but that's a different matter. It's why IS Tatsuya and EP Maya could be almost completely different characters compared to their counterparts.
I get that they had "starter personalities" in a sense (Tatsuya the distant delinquent with a lighter fixation, Maya the cheery big sister type) but you were given more than enough wiggle room to actually play the way you wanted.

It's called
PETITE
YOU PLEB she really is minuscule, isn't she?

I feel like this entire part is trying a bit too hard personally, edgy menus and dialogue boxes, really over complicated persona designs. Like, look at this style progression from the first game to the persona 5. (Bar Innocent Sin) Persona 1 (admittedly it looks like other Shin Megami Tensei Designs) and 5 stick out like sore thumbs. Purely from a design stand point all personas (bar the ones that will get put in from previous games) are just so out of place.

He was still a real character in Innocent Sin, you just had to look around for the clues. Also the way you're allowed to see Katsuya is very different, since it's through Tatsuya's eyes you'd think he's always pissed off and hates you.

Good call, the fan translation is way better than the official one, except Hitler doesn't have his sweet shades.

That's not Hitler that's the Fuhrer.

What said. Look at the man in pic 1. Does he look anything like the Boss in pic 2 to you?

If it is distinct enough for the Japanese government, it is distinct enough for me.

I'd say the one on the right is much more stylish.

youtube.com/watch?v=Jf-6D9bkYKw

It's a shitty ad for the game with people singing irl

Its just a commercial no one really cares about spoilers in Japan anyways since its just who cares stuff to them

That Amon Ra design is not the Persona version, though. I don't think it ever got a proper illustration like the other personas, sadly, 'cause everyone was too busy kissing Vishnu's ass.

Poor cardboard box bitches.
Chad Warden wipes his ass with ¥35,000.

I may be a fucking weeb but I pity you son

If I wanted to watch Lupin III I'd just fucking watch it.

I didn't think it was a spoil, I just didn't trust it because he didn't embed like a normal user. On that note though, I'm gonna start avoiding P5 info and leave the board now. Thanks to the user who mentioned Trails of Cold Steel, I'm weirdly enjoying it. Unless we die, I'll see you faggots in five months.

Fresh off the stream

Pretty sexy Igor.

Upon further review, it is indeed as trash as my initial impressions told me.

The cat is trash because it talks. There's some vague blatantly suspicious dumb plot twist shit. The cast is a bunch of gays and the music is repetitive.

Fucking Atlus.

Recalling the start of the game, I think I have a good guess to why the cop accused the protagonist of killing people

At the end of The Day Breakers OVA, that one dude became an emotional wreck after getting his heart stolen by the Phantom Thieves

So my conclusion is that stealing someone's heart carries the risk of driving them to suicide

so will i need to avoid this place in fear of P5 spoilers?

Chances are very good.

Obviously.

That's a Persona 2 spoiler user.

You're not wrong.

Isn't young Vincent like 5' 8" or something? That would put Squidgirl at like 4' 0" or lower. That is leaving petite and starting to go into midget range.

would still bang cheetohead after blonde rise though.

These guys are terrible actors.

Huh, just realized through the magic of hacked handhelds, it is now possible to versions of all four main games.