SNES RPGs

Is there a tier list or something similar? I've barely experienced any SNES RPGs outside of final fantasy and zelda. I want to emulate some, but only the good ones.

(The main reason is that I realised emulators have a fast forward feature, so I can blast through turn based battles that are easy to win but tedious to fight normally…also makes grinding easier)

Other urls found in this thread:

members.madasafish.com/~kefka/chrono.htm
emuparadise.me/Complete_ROM_Sets_(Full_Sets_in_One_File)_ROMs/SNES_Hacks_and_Translations_Pack/164888
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump

Not a tier list around to my knowledge, but I can list off a bunch of possibilities to look into. Maybe someone might be able to give you some opinions on them.

Super Mario RPG is an essential.
There are some timed hits however, so you might want to take that one slow.
Also

Regardless, given how little space SNES games take up, you might want to download whatever you can and sift through it at a later date. Better safe than sorry on the off chance either Nintendo hits rom and patching sites with DMCAs (which seems like a next possible step into the toilet for them) or TPP does go through.

There's also some SNES JRPGs that still have patches in the works, so maybe look into downloading Glory of Heracles IV (Heracles no Eikou IV, Song of the Angel (Tenshi no Uta), Shin Megami Tensei: if… and Romancing SaGa 2 (if Square doing a fucking mobile phone localization hasn't killed the effort).

I've pretty much erred on the side of caution and downloaded whatever I could find with an English patch finished or in the works, as well as ones that could perhaps see one happen some day (like Dark Kingdom or Gran Historia).

If /vr/ here was still alive you could possibly get a better response on what's worthwhile or not there, but like most vidya related boards that aren't Holla Forums here, it's pretty dead.

I'd say SNES essential RPGs are the Final Fantasy games, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Dragon Quest V, Earthbound, the Megaten games and the Heaven and Earth Trilogy (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Time, Terranigma). Not that those are the best games, it's just that they're the best known and a good entry point, then you can move to other games, I was going to make a list but did a great job.

Oh, and if you want some places to keep tabs on as far as in-the-works translations, there's Dynamic Designs and Translation Corp (headed by Nightcrawler). Also Aeon Genesis, but lately they've been really fucking lazy, not posting a single update to anything for over a year now, and some people have expressed worry that the main guy there is turning into an SJW.

ELDER GOD TIER
Chrono Trigger

GOD TIER
Terranigma
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest III
Breath of Fire II(with the re-translation patch)
Shin Megami Tensei
Seiken Densetsu III
Live A Live

HIGH TIER
Final Fantasy IV
Secret of Mana
Tales of Phantaisa
Star Ocean
Lufia II
Illusion of Gaia
Dragon Quest VI
Shin Megami Tensei II
Super Mario RPG
Earthbound
Brandish
Shadowrun
Romancing Saga III

MID TIER
Breath of Fire
Lufia
Ys IV: Mask of the Sun
Soul Blazer
Secret of Evermore
Slayers
Treasure of the Rudras
Dragon Quest I-II
Glory of Heracles III
Emerald Dragon
Dark Law
Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei
Eternal Filina
Lodoss War
Ranma 1/2
Adventures of Houri High
Brain Lord
Romancing Saga
Romancing Saga II

LOW TIER
Lagoon
Ys V

About Star Ocean. While the SNES release has good art, its ultimately unfinished and it shows.
The PSP release is a much more polished, finished and bug free experience.

jesus christ lad what shit taste you have

It has flaws, but it has far more depth and replayability than most JRPGs.

None these have tiers, they are all the same Japan wanna be western RPG crap. Fuck off.
Just play Chrono Trigger, FF6, and Secret Of Evermore. There, done. Now go play Sega which is a million times better.

What's it like having shit taste?

Did sega even have anything good?

Whats it like being a console nintendo kiddie faggot?

Sega was pretty much the dosbox of consoles, as for rpgs, I dont play then on consoles cause they are usually limited boring pieces of shit.

Western RPGs back in the day were nothing more than shitty 3D maze dungeon crawler Tolkien knock-offs with zero imagination.

Here, just pick out the RPGs from this

There's also Paladin's Quest (Lennus 1) if you can handle the graphics (jarring pastel color scheme). Story and combat are pretty good in that too.

Daikaijuu Monogatari (Super Shell Monsters Story) is another one, but you have to find a translated rom for it.

There's also 7th Saga, but Enix made the game harder when they ported it to the states, you will need to grind on occasions to pass areas.

The unrelated sequel of that is Mystic Ark, where it's a little more comfy with an anthology story setting.

For overhead games, there's Brain Lord (same universe as 7th saga), less emphasis on the world and more on larger and more complex dungeons.

And props to the people who mentioned Treasure of the Rudras. That's actually one of the much better SNES RPGs around.

And western RPGs are all the same wannabe tabletop RPG crap.

What is it with you niggers and The Secret of Evermore? It's alright but it's not any kind of masterpiece. Even Illusion of Gaia puts it to shame.

Aeon Genesis has been nearly dead since the guy left collage and got a soul-killing job. He doesn't have the time or energy he once did and there are no other true members.

Oops, I forgot about those. I'd put them both in mid tier, well maybe Mystic Ark high tier. sage for doublepost.

No, Aeon is just really stupid because he took on a hundred projects and has no concept of time management, plus he's too busy being a social justice cuck on Twitter

And basically guaranteed no one else is going to work on them. Fuck him.

members.madasafish.com/~kefka/chrono.htm

this is undoubtedly and without exaggeration the worst tier list I have ever seen

Chrono Trigger, preferably the DS remake.

The DS version isn't even a remake, just an expanded port with the PS1 FMVs, some new interface options (namely whether you want the FMVs at all, as well as using the touch screen for menus), a retranslation, and some new content that is of debatable quality (though the original ported content is still good). But yeah, it's very much a good option for playing the game, and unlike the prior PS1 port, doesn't suffer from annoying loading.

Why don't people develop new games for the SNES?

イデアの日 is pretty good

MegaTen games are all you need. Nothing else is even close.

Do you have anymore of these "8/v/'s worthwhile" charts?

Logistically speaking, that's only going to get your game less noticed than if you release it on steam as indie pixelshit 2016. People at least want others to play their games, which means that developing it for a long dead console isn't the best idea.

The coolest thing is when devs finish a game for pc, then port it to other systems for the players. Cave story for dreamcast is a good example.

Ay op, I typed up a message about this before and then my fucking browser crashed.

So here's the thing, the snes rpgs are for the most part good to very good. This is helped in large part by the translation scence.

(going to skip the super obvious stuff like earthbound)

Play some

There's a ton more worth playing though I'm mainly focusing on ones with fan translations for the moment.

Download this pack there's a few straglers you'll need to hunt through the net for but out well this is some good shit

emuparadise.me/Complete_ROM_Sets_(Full_Sets_in_One_File)_ROMs/SNES_Hacks_and_Translations_Pack/164888

There's even some fun romhacks of rpgs in it too. Now have at it.