N64 Thread

For some reason these threads don't pop up too often. Maybe we could get a chart going? I know the N64 doesn't really have a huge/amazing library, but it still is a fun console plus, it emulates like shit, so its nice to own.

Also, in related news, apparently an N64 DD was found in the US, an is a US N64 DD version, something no one knew existed before. The dude's in the video have dumped the firmware so, who knows, we might get some interesting developments occuring for the N64 DD. Earthbound 64?. Will embed the video in the next post.

Other urls found in this thread:

s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7463997/1/#new
krikzz.com/store/
retrorgb.com/n64rgbmod.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

embed sorry can't into webm

I actually still own my ancient one from 1996… however the analog sticks on the controllers go to shit in no time. Does anyone know if you can order N64 controllers with modern analog sticks that work on the N64?

N64, Wii and WiiU suck ass.
Fuck off.

I actually bought an N64 controller that had a NGC stick instead of an N64 one. Pretty nice.

ebin post

Are you talking about those expensive HORI controllers?

(You)

No, as in someone took out the N64 analogue stick and put an NGC one in. It looks weird as fuck but it works very well.

Ever since I got my everdrive, already kinda bored of the system. Was a real shame most of the noteworthy romhacks don't work on the system not surprising either.

Would have thought the scene would have got livelier for developing shit for it with an everdrive, but it's just dead.

Least Mega Drive still gets shit.

I would imagine it'd probably feel a lot better than the stiff N64 stick.

There's a replacement joystick thats a gamecube look alike. I hear it gets locked to 8 directions instead of minute movements. I dunno, its not real expensive and that might be what someone stuck in. But get a gander at pic related, some swiss guy is gonna start selling full steel joysticks
s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7463997/1/#new
Fucker's got a long waiting list though, I can't be doing that, I just want a god damn shop with a paypal link already, fucker needs to get on that.

I never understood the emulation things. I have two versions of the so called shitty emulator for N64 and with them I can play everything without a trouble. So game needs you to just change the graphical plugins.

Yeah, ideally with both N64 and ISB XInput ouputs. A man can dream…

Damn, that looks pretty good.

Yup, playing Mario Party 2 you know which mini-game isn't a bitch anymore

Really? I'm enjoying mine so far, emulation is a bitch so I've been playing all those unemulatable games like Goemon. Got mine for pretty cheap too $40 - 2 controllers

You better be jesting lad

I guess someone is too stupid to use emulators.

I had fun revisiting Rogue Squadron and the likes, but like my other everdrives, I mainly wanted to see what people have done with the systems ever since they went out of service.

Mega Drive got an amazing port of Wolfenstein alongside nearly any ROMhack working on it, SNES has the various effects like MSU1 audio coming into games alongside the various amounts of ROMhacks, the N64 doesn't really have any of that.

Thats like suggesting to strap a horse to your car because it was designed without wheels.

Yeah, sadly the N64 doesn't really have a good community regarding homebrews or even translations. I mainly got my ED64 because emulation is so spotty on the system except for the token titles that are already available in a myriad of different platforms.

It is a meme and retardness. Everything I have downloaded plays fine.

Titles (and the emulators for just fucking weird shit) make up for it, but it's still depressing. Would have thought it would have garnered some interest. Maybe in the future.

The Everdrive packs on Emuparadise helped to quickly get everything runnable on it at least.

Well, with the N64 DD firmware being dumped maybe we'll see some interesting things down the line (especially with emulation). I doubt it though.

Will starting posting games, maybe chart-user will pop up.

I wonder what can even be done with DD firmware because there's been basically nothing released for it as far as I know

Who knows, they might be able to develop games for it, or maybe make use of it somehow. I sincerely doubt it since it essentially uses a Nintendo-only floppy disk.

god damn, where is the custom robo translation already. Wasn't there a full dialogue translation written somewhere? Is the game just not good enough to warrant a fanbase autistic enough?

I know Luigiblood/Kirobomber was doing some N64D related research last time I checked, but I don't know how much has come of it. It did help me realize that Wario Ware originated in a Mario Paint sequel.

N64, nice console to own when you were a kid and your parents only bought you a game every 3 or 4 months. At the end of its lifetime, you could have gathered 10-12 titles which gave you a lot of fun and made you think the console was the best.

The era of emulators and N64 full romsets arrives. You find no "hidden gems", no great JP-only games you missed. Basically, all the good stuff the N64 had to offer were all those titles that were marketed non-stop and were perfectly known for everyone.

I wish mate, If I were a millionaire I'd hire NEETs all over the world to start translating games. If they didn't, send em straight to the gulag. After all, if you're rich you don't go to jail.

Luigiblood actually helped the guys in the embed. Without Luigiblood's code they wouldn't have been able to dump the contents of the floppy nor the firmware.

I'd disagree, all consoles have hidden gems, and the N64 isn't a console that emulates particularly well so its good to have.

No one loves you.

I've never played the Chameleon Twist games. Are they any good?

They're fucking hard.

I've only played the 1st one, its a surprisingly good platformer albeit short. Using your tongue sets it apart from the rest of the platformers of the era. An enjoyable platformer if you enjoy that genre. I haven't played the 2nd one, heard its pretty much the same, no major changes.

I think this should do the system justice. Anything I missed out?

Wasn't there a quake exclusive for the n64 like they did with doom? Not the rushed port, some other one. no clue if it was good or not, but I can't see how someone could fuck up quake

Alright, got a few questions here.

>Outside of the one 007 game not goldeneye, the other one and maybe Doom, has there ever been a mutiplat N64 game that wasn't better on PSX?
Sorry if some of these questions are retarded, I've probably only spent a total of 15 minutes in my entire life playing the N64.

Rayman 2 comes to mind. The PSX version is by far the worst, with changed/removed levels, cut music, forced VA, and only 800 lums.

There are certainly good games outside of the token, Nintendo 1st party games. Take Wetrix, Duck Dodgers and World Driver Championship as good examples.

Any of the Goemon games. They are unemulatable and are some of the best platformers out there.

Don't emulate N64. you shouldn't either

Quake64?

nah, nah that was the rushed port. Here's what I was on about. But then Quake 2 was on the PC already, so maybe what I'm thinking of is that they released it near the PC release instead of way after.

nigga how am I gonna play these fucking zelda games and whatnot. im too poor to drop $100+ on a console and all the games.

I know the N64 and anything Nintendo for that matter has sort of garnered meme-status in the second hand market but you can still find good deals. I got an N64 with an expansion pack & two barely used controllers for $40 on craigslist. Buy an everdrive for $70, you've got the whole set since compatibility will be 100%. If its just the token titles like Zelda, sure emulate those.

hold the god damn phone, when did they drop from 200 bucks to 70? That's not real life, unless there's really dummies out there selling that low. Hell I'm not opposed to suckering some dummy

What's an everdrive and how do I find a place that gets me an "official" one? Is it some sort of shit that lets you drop in any rom?

Re-Volt, but only barely.

Well, I don't own the "official" everdrive. I own a chinese knockoff thats based on the everdrive 2.5. It works perfectly and so far I haven't encountered any problems with it. You have to reset the console to save the game though… Its called ED64. You can even find it on amazon.

Do you live under a rock? Its used for cart-based systems, its a cart that one fills to the brim with games. May have some added features depending on the console and model.
The official ones can be found on stoneagegamer and krikzz websites. Expensive as fuck tho.

forgot about posting this one. The best version is the DC version as it has extra cars and runs pretty smoothly. But yeah, general rule of thumb is that the PSX versions were better.

Yeah, you jab in an sd card full of your roms and it plays it on the hardware. I don't have one but people say it works well. Also since people discovered you can use gameshark cheats to turn off the anti aliasing, and these things come with built in gamesharks, that's something you can do now.
Difference between v2.5 and v3 is that you don't have to reset the console after saving to keep your save and it has a real time clock if you really wanna play a buggy version of the original animal crossing.
You buy one from the slav code master here
krikzz.com/store/

Games still look like ass tho. Anyone know a good place to get one's N64 modded for RGB?

Your local vidya store can usually replace them.

Ha, it'll probably wear a hole straight through the controller. Why hasn't anyone thought of making that earlier?

Brother you have no idea. The only nintendo consoles I've ever had were the SNES, hated it, loved the genesis more and the original DS. I'm a PCfag and sonygger through and through. Always hated Nintendo for the most part. Probably due to the amount of masturbation surrounding them.

negro you could just do yourself, the parts are dirt cheap. Hell you could get one of those premade kits too
retrorgb.com/n64rgbmod.html
there's a guide. You're gonna have to figure out cables. I guess you could splice a scart cable and an rgb cable together

nah, take a gander at this. The damn thing is steel everywhere. He's going to sell the whole joystick assembled I think. When I said full steel, I meant
FULL STEEL

Not surprising, genesis a best. Anyways, think of an everdrive as a flashcart for the DS. Its essentially the same.

kek, is this fucker buying it in bulk from China or what?
If only my hands didn't shake like a heroin addict with parkinsons. Will save the link though, never know who you might meet that might be willing to help a brother out.

makes sense

no clue where the swiss bastard gets the steel if that's what your asking, but it looks like he's milling the parts himself. I could honestly see a single joystick going for like 30-50 dollaroos, maybe more given all this. Hoping for cheap, but god damn I wish he'd just stop cock teasing and get on with it.
As a reference N64 replacement joysticks go for 8-10 bucks and those are just plastic molded by chink babies in some factory.

Yeah, thats why I was saying he must be buying them in bulk or something since he's going to be pricing them at that range

I've tried this, and they wanted to charge me $30 for it. Which is the same price as just buying a new controller there.

Chart-user?

Yo. Sorry for the wait. Should have been around to see this earlier but I slept in until like 6 PM, which is bad even for me.

I'm willing to throw one together, but it might be on the backburner for a while. But I'll start by taking notes on what people would like to see for it.

Awesome, thanks user

Got these as the list so far if anyone wants to look them over. Might be a while before I actually have a WIP to post, since I tend to be a bit picky about box/cover art scan quality (and places the watermark scans as if they own the cover art itself, like Nintendo Life and Games Database can fuck right off).

Taking suggestions for what sort of color scheme people would like as well. With some of these I've tried to go with the standard system colors (such as purple for the GBA and GC, Blue and White for the Wii), but I'm not sure I want to do one with a black/dark gray background (given the standard N64 system color; just seems like it might feel drab), and I know it's had a plethora of alternate colors as well.

The N64 is such a difficult console to deal with. By the time the N64 came out, the PS1 and Saturn had been pulling off gorgeous 3D games, or 3D games with heavy 2D elements and the N64 seemed to be a step back in every way. It ended up getting plenty of worthwhile games. I can easily hook up a Genesis, Saturn, PS1, with gorgeous RGB out on an excellent display, but with the 64, natively the best you can do is S-Video which is a joke compared to even what the master system offered in the 80s.

I don't know why Nintendo had absurd texture filtering, absurd anti-aliasing, AND composite only out of the box, it produces horrendous images regardless of the display. The HDMI mod is fantastic, and RGB mods are a good step, but man it's a fucking nightmare dealing with this system. To me, it seems much of the enthusiasm for the N64 stems from nostalgia. I grew up with the system so a lot of the library has no surprises for me, the only things in particular I've found are games like Wonder Project J2. I've recently gotten into the Saturn scene and there's so many exclusives, so many great games I've barely seen mentioned, and the library is practically twice the size of the N64's library.

I appreciate the N64, but it feels as though it has no surprises. When I got into the Xbox scene I discovered so many unique titles, neglected classics and many fascinating things. Saturn is blowing my mind but the N64? I'm barely interested in engaging.

For how cheap you can get it now, I would also throw in the collection Top Gear Rally 1.

Good Challenge once you get around the sensitivity of the steering

Good thing those rare software were dumped. Too bad there's no games on there though.

Mein Neger. I remember the Suss Gun was impractical as fuck, but damn was it fun to hold down the trigger button and hear the thing spit lead.