I...Is the dream dead, anons?

Notice nobody ever talks about these anymore?

Are gamers over amiibos? Do any of you have collections?

The problem as I see it is Nintendo can't into 2nd issue printings. They've been reproducing super rare amiibos that look completely identical to original runs, thus decimating the collectors market.

They should've borrow a page from comic books and make 2nd printings distinct from originals, to both maintain the collectability of the original and create a new product that completionists can't resist.

tl;dr – Did the amiibo bubble pop?

More like a fucking nightmare.

fucking this

I just wish the figures weren't so shit, why can't they be like the world of nintendo figurines they usually got up at the front of toy stores, get some of those for 3 bucks a pop and attach them to the base.
Instantly dozens of times better.

Nintendo didn't know what they fucking had, they struck gold with the Amiibos, and instead of capitalizing on the collector's market, as you pointed out ,they assumed people were actually buying these cheap McDonald's toys for the content in the games, and instead of actualling swooping in for the kill by catering to the collecters, they have just endlessly piled on the amount of amiibos available, regardless of whether or not anyone actually Wants the characters that they're trying to sell, seriously they just keep fucking pumping them out

What a bunch of fucking retards

Whenever I hear Amiibo I think Japanese Otakus obsessed with America.

The only one I've considered is Shulk since I loved Xenoblade and that's likely the only non-game merchandise the west will ever see for it (they sure as hell didn't bring The Monado Files west), but no. I don't want to support that physical DLC bullshit Skylanders helped to popularize as a practice, and I don't even have a 3DS or Wii U to make use of it with.

Yeah, I remember seeing those pictures of "Morth" and "Irk." Really think they could have been handled better. I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but I those Gotchapon (or whatever they're called) LoZ figurines even look better, and those were cheaper at like $3 each (though without a flash light to look through the holes in the capsule, it was a crapshoot if you wanted to get a particular one.

The only reason Amiibos were the least bit successful were because they debut with smash, and anything smash normal fags eat up.

Now that the smash craze is gone they are back to being nothing but figures and minor physical DLC.

I'm glad it's over.

Rate my collection, Holla Forums

my brother has spent over $600 on amiibos

Games interacting with toys wasn't really anything more than a fad, honestly. It really got kicked off by Activision + Toys for Bob with Skylanders when that dropped in 2011. Reached $500 million during 2012 with its sequel. It sold like hotcakes and Disney and Nintendo wanted in on somma dat.

But as all fads it's begun trailing off. Disney was in for 2013 and Nintendo in 2014. People generally realizing that toys mixed with games is glorified DLC and interest has dwindled. Skylanders which kicked it off hasn't sold nearly as well as it used to. It wouldn't surprise me if these are to follow.

My loss sense is tingling.

He's Mario's brother now.

Fuck Skylanders for both what it did to the industry, and what it did to Spyro.

All I can think is how many cheap $10-20 games I could get with that at local stores (stretching the money even more due to pricing fuckups that have enabled me to find $40+ games anywhere from 1/2 to a 1/6 the price they normally go for), and actually enjoy playing them, as opposed to that many immovable figurines that are just used to unlock DLC.

Yeah, I sense a real loss of money there.

Don't get me started on how abused Spyro is.

I just look at it as buying regular figures or plushes of shit I like. The Splatoon ones are pretty nice.

Do you get triggered by the term on disc DLC too?

I've never played Splatoon; why do they do that with their hands?

Ehh, they were cool figurines of characters I liked growing up. I regret nothing. Also, Nintendo shooting themselves in the foot notwithstanding, i'm confident in a couple decades they'll be worth something

Holy cow that ID

Give me the fucking Bayonetta Amiibo Nintendo

Calm down Pat, pretty sure he's using a vpn client.

Nigga, that's how they stay fresh.

What ones do you have and what ones are you interested in owning.

I have Mario, Luigi, the Splatoon pack and the pink and blue llamas from Animal Crossing who's names I have forgotten.

I want Wario, Waluigi, Callie, Marie, Wind Waker Toon Link, Wolf Link, Kicks, Shovel Knight, Bayonetta and a few that don't exist yet like a F-Zero Captain Falcon, and a Donkey Kong Country Donkey, Diddy, Dixie and Cranky.

I'm so gonna get me a Callie and Marie someday

Some retarded japanese pop thingy, it's like their signature version of that with the catchphrase "flay flesh"

The characters are anthropomorphic squids so they're supposed to look like tentacles.

Stop trying to force this shit.

checked

Or is this like a new meme?

Probably getting Ryu and (if it's not too late) Zero Suit Samus. Also the squid kiddies are cool.

What's crazy is I don't even own a Wii U or a Wii and haven't bought a ninty console since SNES.

wtf i like newfags now

Threadly reminder that amiibos were always terrible and weren't going to last past this generation.

Holy shit, a newfag!

They will probably do a reissue with the re-release of Smash Bros for on NX, maybe they will release new characters like the frost scalers. maybe I will actually want to buy smash then.

I have used no amiibo's for anything other than displaying the figures because they are cool as fuck and largely uniform.

Took the words right out of my mouth
pic related is for OP

@10585209
fuggin cheksd

I suppose that one could have considered Spyro dead long before Skylanders, but it still hurts to see that this is what came of him. I had at least hoped Crash was going to be allowed his much deserved eternal slumber, but no, apparently he's going to be joining Spyro now.

Sheik
Wolf Link
Narutoad
Bayonetta
Skull Kid
Jack Frost

I better hope so.
They can keep on making them as simple figurines without any ingame content tied to them.
But knowing Jewtendo they rather go down then to actually do something intelligent in their current state.

Comic books have been ruined by leftist shitheads and special snowflakes fucking their way into companies and rotting them from the inside out like herpes. I suppose the same can be said of Nintendo.

Whoever ever enabled any of this shit is the cancer killing gaming

I never bought any because i buy nendoroids and revoltech like a real NEET.

you mean capeshit, muh europoor comics are still good

Alternatively, you can just paint over them like a fag.

It's a little statue of a character user, not a fucking gremlin that will piss in your cereal at night.

If you want one grab it.

Fuck collectors, though they haven't been putting out anything new either.

I only bothered with a handful of the selection anyways.

"On Disc DLC" was on-disc content disguised as DLC.

fuck off

Stay Fresh, user.

Nintendo used to be a good company, but now they're just the same shitty corporation as everybody else except their trademark is always having the worst hardware every generation. I really, truly, honestly hope that the NX crashes the entire video game industry with no survivors.

It got Sony and Microsoft to release their 8.5th gen console in less than 3 years.

Nintendo has been for casuals since gamecube.

LOL

And this is DLC disguised as a shitty figure, what of it?

Is Link officially more marketable than Mario now? His Smash amiibo supposedly is also the best-selling figure in the series, if not overall.

Bayonettamiibo never ever.

I wanted to get a ROB amiibo because i love ROB, but then I just said fuck it and decided not to waste my money

Who the hell ever bought these?

They're also $16 CAD plus tax. Id buy a few pokemon, splatoon, and AC amiibos because I think they look cute and I like some of the characters, but there's no fucking way I'm going to drop like $280 on cheap plastic that i won't ever use

Fuck off scalper cuck.

You can't even fuck these.

They can fuck you if you are brave enough.

I buy a console at the end of its lifecycle when it's cheap and the games catalog is complete and convincing enough. Means I won't get 8th gen, because it has basically no gayms.

Today I heard about it for the first time.
Disgusting!
But being this out of the loop clearly means I've grown up and I'm over video games now.

Massive faggots enjoy them.

Link's amiibo worked for smash but also worked for Mario Kart AND unlocked a weapon in Hyrule Warriors, so it was worthwhile to get it because it did what the original amiibo idea was pitched: Buy one figurine of a character you like ,get bonus content in games that feature this character.

People nabbed the "wolf link" amiibo because they called it the Midna amiibo.

>Will get Samus related ones released in the futurenever ever anymore
>bayonetta

"Gamers" were never into them, they're overpriced DLC.

I'd hope all the amiibofags were driven out of here with their shit taste but here you are
You're avoiding the other huge problem with amiibos about how they needlessly cut content off of games.

I'll one up you on that. They'll release Amiibo 2.0 which will have more memory for more disc locking content power. Normal fags will eat it up and the cycle will repeat again.

It's not dumb if niggers like OP continue to eat their shit. It's just not consumer friendly.

yes they were. Some people will never stop sucking that corporate cock.

"No one cares about the fate of free labor if it means they get their instant gratification"
-squidward

I still see people talking about them, I actually ended up getting a number from a QT 3.14 for buying a Callie & Marie.

Though I have a simple rule when it comes to Amibos.

and I'll only buy characters that I'd fuck, that's why I have 2 Isabelles (winter and summer outfits)

No, we weren't. The only people who gave a shit about Amiibos were the same kind of idiots who thought Skylanders was a good idea.

lel

It isn't. It is a figure that unlocks on-disc content. No one actually thinks that these downloads content. Memeing something doesn't make it true.

You've seen those threads where people were defending amiibos and nintendos bullshit. It suck but it's true.
Like the people who keep playing SFV
Like the people who bought MGSV and MGS:Survive
Like the people who keep buying EA games

Corporate cocksucker and Gamer aren't mutually exclusive.

I have them as figures of characters from games I like. Most, barring two (Shovel Knight and Pac-Man) I got from Christmas and my birthday.

They're toys. They were designed to be toys. Marketed and sold as toys. Toy companies will make more stock of their toys when it starts to run scarce in the market. The only people surprised at this are collectorfags who thought that toys were somehow an amazing investment.

When I find you I will cut your packaging open.

Shitposters from Reddit and viral marketers aren't gamers, user. No matter how many people try to shill GTA or CoD, we all know they're not us.

What the what

Theyre cheap bits of plastic with an NFC chip in them. Their quality and production costs are insanely low to capitalise from fanboys who have to buy something because of a name, why the hell would Nintendo go about increasing their costs by designing and manufacturing differing models to try and generate some indescribably small market?

Even larger figures and their makers give little shits about that. An $80 limited-run figure that gets re-printed a year down the line is still an $80 figure.

What the fuck are you thinking when you talk about amiibos as an investment rather than a overpriced toy intended to unlock petty DLC?

Anyone stupid enough to collect mass-produced plastic toys deserves to have their "investment" ruined.

> implying Nintendo makes better games than toys in

I have a bunch, but got them because I thought the figures themselves were okay - not great, not terrible, in line with a low-end Blind Box toy from Japan with some minor functionality to justify it being a bit overpriced.

I just hate how fucking impossible it is to find any given figure. Oh you missed [X]? Fuck you, wait 6 months and MAYBE we'll release more. I never paid over MSRP and I never plan to.

I do despise the Animal Crossing figures though. They're everywhere because fucking nobody wants them and they only work work a shit board game that makes Mario Party look like Snake Eater.

Wait, did the Star Fox Amiibo have any effect on the Wii U game? I know their dimb niggery is hitting new heights but the Fox and Falco have to do SOMETHING, right?

They died with the WiiU.

OP confirmed for one of the scalpers
top kek you wasted your money on beanie babies with NFC chips

They unlock a couple features that you otherwise unlock by 100%ing the game.

This.

Anything mass produced cannnot become a collector's item by default.

It's like the PlayStation 2. Even after 10 years they are still cheap and easy to be found. That's because Sony made 100 million of them.

And you have to wonder if in 50 years there will really be a market for this stuff.

So unless somebody decides to use the Earth for death star target practice these things will just remain useless plastic toys.

this is how you spot a new fag.

All things considered, Amiibos may be the least horrible thing that Nintendo has been doing recently.

Just buy them off of ebay or something.

We can only hope.

There are games in which you cannot unlock content unless you use the amiibo. (Mario Kart 8 for example.) But I'm going to be fair here and say that in those cases, the content themselves were only made because the amiibo itself exists. We wouldn't have MK8 costumes otherwise.

If we were to assume that you can't unlock wolf Link in BotW normally without the amiibo. Than it would be safe to assume that it's merely a reskin. Since it would seem odd to design an element like an animal buddy, and lock it down to a bundled wii u game.

Holy fuck

All of you have to go back.

This is why DLC is allowed to get away with as much shit as it does. Normalfags WILL lower the quality of the product if the company shoots for them in mind. Fuck you faggots for defending this kike fueled idea that already flopped in the late 90s early 2000s.

The Anons reacting to ID: 000000 are probably just baiting.

it bursted the moment they restocked

marche?

Hey, yeah, what the fuck happened to the remaining Smash DLC character amiibo?
The fucking Mii Fighters got three, but Nintendo still hasn't shown or announced the release of Bayonetta, Cloud, and Lord No-Shoes?

I bought my nephew several amiibos, wolf link + midna being the last. He doesn't have no console, he just plays with them like normal toys for well adjusted kids.

Amiibos are physical dlc, meant to outlast the game it belongs to. It's very christian.

It was already made and sold on the disc, but cut off last minute.

They're the basically the same shit, Amibos are just physical "key" data instead of digital. However, at least you get a fucking figure with an amibo, and the shit they unlock is usually not needed or wanted.

Amibos cover "unlock a trainable AI woo" or "get a random power in a kirby game woo", but the shit that EA and the rest have been doing is literally cutting the game in half during development, cutting off story characters, unique weapons, cutting out levels, and all of it's on the disc, unlocked by keys bloated with trash data, literal single variable switches, no effort, all to squeeze out an extra 30 dollars.

Compared to Amibos, where you can just buy it if you want a collectable figure if you're one of those full body pillow weebs, it's ignorable.

Press X to buy Goro, goy.

Tell me some shit that amibos unlock that is on the level of EA kikery.

Like shit that's unforgivable. Give me a fucking list, and I'll give you a fucking list, and we can compare how shit one is over the other.

Stop being a fucking idiot.

mountain out of a molehill, dumbass.

/thread

All they had to do was put some sort of indicia on the box saying "2nd printing" and also maybe like a 2 or something somewhere on the toy itself. But when I saw a shelf full of Zero Suits and Marths a few months ago, I got super excited at first, then I realized somebody dun goofed.

I'd say these would be the worst, since they require amiibo to even be played. The MvsDK while "free", does that shit I've seen in games like LEGO Dimensions with "Boy, this area is only for those with THIS character". Luckily for the AC board game, it sucks first and foremost so no one wants to play it, and most of the AC amiibo have dropped to >$5 since no one wants them. Even that KK/Re-TAIL 3-pack is like $10

Too expensive
Shit quality
Shit functionality

What did you expect.

Pretty much this. I was the OP of that gameindustry.biz article on the crash of the Toy to Life fad. That has been confirmed by my last visit to one of the electronics store in town. Disney Infinite Starterpacks go away for 2.99 € a pop and Buylanders don't look that much better either. The only thing that is still sold for the full price are Lego Dimensions sets that took over all the entire rack Disney and Buylander used to share. It doesn't look better in my favorite second hand vidya shop either. They already have a showcase full of that shit. I guess I going to see more Disney and Skylander figures in my other favorite shop I can only get to once a blue moon. Given all this, I am expecting a flood of these figures. Amiboo may follow when people are getting rid of their Wii Us and 3DSes.

Can't we just get figures of video games characters without any bullshit?

No. If its a real toy, its of shoddy quality. All the cool shit of the nips.

"Gamers" never owned amiibos. Deal with it.

dey done fucking up

Nobody in general really wants amiibos, i've seen them brand new at shit like yard sales for 50 cents, and they just sit there.

The only people I know who collect those fucking things are a blonde twink who thinks SM4SH is the pinnacle of competitive fighting games and a mexican furry who will sit there and tell you to your face that Bioshock Infinite is the greatest game he's ever played. I don't think 'gamers' ever collected the things.

Only one I own is the yarn Yoshi amiibo, and that was a gift.
Amiibo are low quality figures and they have little value unless you own a ton of amiibo-compatible games

Why am I like this