BGMs

do you listen to vgms outside of playing vidya?

embed reminds me of playing mmz3 during elementary, it used to give school this chill vibe as I played all alone on some staircase beside a window, playing during overcast and rainy weather was the best.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/7M7qW
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I use boss music to forcibly suppress overwhelming warm and fuzzy feelings from 2D Iove.

It's literally too much.

hate to say it but I do this too. If something or someone entices me too much I have to distract myself with something I understand better

2gud

I know I do. If I find I like a game's soundtrack enough, I'll typically get the soundtrack (or pirate it if the devs don't fucking put one out) and listen to it for outside enjoyment. A few games I did this with are Megaman X4, Talos Principle, and MadWorld.

my comrade in arms

I'll listen to stuff from game I've enjoyed while posting shit or working on something.

I might listen to a song or two prior to playing a game, but I generally like to have the OST be something to actually experience in the game itself the first time through.

I can respect that. I mean, some games I'll just take a couple of songs from, but I typically get the whole thing if I enjoy the entire soundtrack, which I find is pretty rare.

I'd say one of the exceptions to trying to avoid listening to music from games I haven't played yet is crossover stuff, where it's a bit unavoidable. With stuff like Smash Bros, there's music from stuff I still have yet to play, and I will admit it serves well as a bit of a teaser to get into them in the future (much the way a game opening can as well), and for prior fans of various games, it can be neat to hear an alternate take on a theme from a different composer (such as how Michiko Naruke did the Bramble Blast and Ocarina of Time Medley arrangements)

I don't have Sma4sh (no 3DS or WiiU here), but I remember finding Valedictory Elegy in a related video tab while listening to some of the remixes used in Brawl. One one hand, it's given me further interest to get to Baten Kaitos and BKO sometime in the future. On the other hand I'll admit I've lost interest a bit since hearing 8-4 cut out the entire option to be able to pick the player character's (you basically play a guiding spirit to the actual protag) gender in Baten Kaitos Origins (which I hear has potential to induce a bit of a localization induced continuity snarl for the prior game), and I'm not certain as to if they changed or fucked around with anything else there, considering that change was only discovered recently.

CUM HISTORIA

Discovering games/series have official arranged tracks can also be fun and make for a nice change of pace, though quality can at times be a crapshoot compared to the actual ingame versions.

Why is it that people can't bring up this game without memes?

it's part of the fucking lyrics you faggot

sometimes I put up a playlist of a few songs for when I'm gonna do something boring like walking to my next class.

this and holy land from mmz4, and a few others have been nice to leave on ever since I started college in the Philippines

Doesn't make a difference.

It makes a big difference.

Just curious, does MGR's OST make you feel the same way?

For you

Another official arrangement, albeit for a different series.

why not?

vidya bgms are there to set a scene, like any good piece of music should

and some really set the scene

I listen to witcher 3 gwent soundtrack when going on walkabout

Shitty game, but always found this song nice and relaxing, and its by the singer who did Stand Alone Complex's OP, even though as BGM in-game its not very good because its got too many lyrics.
FF13 music makes me weirdly nostalgic even though I hated the games. I kind of liked the polish sci-fi aesthetic of them.

I'm the one who discovered the cut, no idea what this means.

There's a character that's always the same sex as the player in the second game, and you could select this option in the first game

Baten Kaitos is a pretty fun and both are great games. For the first game I'd warn you 1: Disc 1 has a fuck ton of missable items, some (class up items, extra cameras) more important than others (Shampoo), and even disc 2 isn't free of them. 2: you should turn on surround sound (it turns off an annoying filter on the audio) and get an undub if possible (the one I found has a small bug where text can become out of sync because some English lines have extra text boxes but pressing a will still play the next line, but cutscenes have enough non-dialog box events interrupting them this isn't a huge issue)

Wonder what the fuck happened to pic related. They posted it 3 years ago on a recruitment page and it's clearly Diadem after the events of the first game. Since then the only thing that has happened is the producing saying "tell Namco you want it" last year.
archive.is/7M7qW

What I mean is that from what I've heard, there was something about BK1 having the player able to choose the gender of the spirit they play as and it (I suppose) effecting dialogue and how the player is addressed, or something. I'd swear that I'd heard that with the western version of Origin's spirit only being single gender, that causes an issue with BK1 somehow, which I suppose would be the case if it's supposed to be the same spirit that the player plays as both times. But if that's not the case (I'm not sure it is, I haven't played yet), I guess it doesn't do much retroactively.

And yeah, I mean, I've been meaning to give them a go (actually at the end of a series I'm currently playing now, but I'm not sure if I want to jump into another turn-based JRPG right after beating a whole series of them), just that after hearing about the cut, they've gone down some in priority. I've heard about the audio issues the first game has, but watching through the opening/trailer, it didn't sound that bad to me, unless thing's changed between when that was made and the rest of the game dubbed. I will keep in mind to turn the audio to surround though.

Does Namco even own the rights to the series anymore? Just wondering since the covers (at least the English versions) list Namco as the publisher for BK1, but not Origins. Made me wonder if when Nintendo acquired Monolith they got the rights to the series from Namco in doing so, or something.

As in, once on disc two you can't get them anymore, or is it similar to, say, the China segment of Shadow Hearts, where a number of locations you can only visit once and after a certain point, you never go back to China (IE: said missables aren't even so necessarily due to the disc change, but just a lot of one time only places in disc 1)?

wake me up

For very, very spoilery reasons (and that the second game is a prequel) the spirits between the two games aren't supposed to be the same narrative wise.

Nintendo of America was the English publisher for the second game (and Australian publisher for the first). NB still published it in its home country.

As for the missables:Some of both. There's no backtracking between the islands during disc 1, you go to the next when you advance the plot (This can cause some very useful items to be lost, though you can go directly from class level 2 to 4 if you miss the item for class level 3 and find the one for 4 latter on). There's a lot more incideous ones like needing to talk to an NPC encouraging you to visit a location you'll visit latter in the plot, then going back and talking to that NPC once you visited that location, all before you trigger the events in that city that make you leave that landmass for the rest of the disc. These are thankfully only relevant for 100% completion, which is quite frankly totally insane even on second playthroughs (one of them requires leaving the system on for a week with another in your inventory in a game that's fairly short) and the only reward is an extra song in soundtest.

I listen to it almost exclusively.

It's kinda awkward when people want to see my playlist

pretty much the only music I usually listen to

Okay, I'll take your word for it then and leave it at that.

Okay. Well, if there's anything Shadow Hearts has encouraged, it was scouring the screens for hidden items and talking to NPCs (a number of them will run the lottery for you and you can win good items with the right timing). Does BK at least have an indicator over the field character's head if there's something of interest hidden nearby or something (if you haven't played Shadow Hearts before, a "?" over the head indicates a hidden regular item, and a "!" indicates an important item). Would you recommend having multiple save files just in case though?

Well, I'm willing to give them credit for an unconventional idea, but who do they expect would actually do that? Sounds like a good way to put a lot of unnecessary wear on your Gamecube or Wii.

I actually basically only listen to vidya music nowadays.