Daggerfall

What's the best way to play Dragonfall?
I have the GOG version but wanted to see if theres an improved version that still isnt missing key features.

Fortunately I had a modded xbox and had the cpu replaced when it burnt out. so the loading times were PC tier but still looked like dogshit action figure reject island.

ago

>I realize what the elderscrolls was supposed to be, what it was going to be
FUCK YOU TODD

Other urls found in this thread:

wiwiki.wiwiland.net/index.php?title=Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup_EN
dfworkshop.net
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

best way to play *Daggerfall not Dragonfall

wait for daggerxl

Forget the gog version. Get Daggerfall Setup from UESP's daggerfall files section. It has everything extra for the game that is actually good (fixes as well.)

As far as free aiming when you attack, what do you mean? You can change the settings to be viewbased instead of cursor (just assign a key to bring up the cursor if you need to click a switch or object that won't activate when you use the action key while facing it, which is rare) Also switch it to fullscreen in the settings to remove the unnecessary and redundant HUD from the bottom. It will be replaced with just the compass, health, stamina, and magicka bars (like most TES games.)

Controls a fully customizable.

Does DaggerXL fix the thing where random generation can prevent you from finishing some side quests?

You don't even need to worry about that. Fully patched Daggerfall rarely ends up with an unfinishable quest, and even if there is one none except the main quest need to be completed and the main quest doesn't have random anything. Daggerfall isn't a completionist game.

Important thing to keep in mind: this game is a dungeon crawler. It's all about mapping out dungeons, collecting loot, and figuring out how to best the different enemies and obstacles you'll encounter.

The overworld is big but just for flavor. You won't be traveling around exploring like in Morrowind. If you play a criminal, you'll be moving from province to province to keep the heat off. If you play a law-abiding citizen, you're best off just picking one kingdom to live in. Pick one with a patron deity or knightly order that is compatible with your skills. Then, you're only traveling long distances when the main quest calls for it.

Long term thats what its looking like.

Tanks m8, now i have 0 issues other than of course the resolution, but gotta wait for xl i while i git gud at vanilla. I tried the Unity engine version and it was slow as shit and missing tons of features.

Thanks for the advice, either way i play i just really love massive worlds even if its mostly wilderness.

Didn't mean to sage, this can be a daggerfall thread too

Daggerxl is vaporware. The best way to play is to get DaggerfallSetup here: wiwiki.wiwiland.net/index.php?title=Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup_EN

It might be a while.

Arena is actually kinda shitty.

You should still play it, it's crpg history after all.

I did for bit. Got out of the starting dungeon, ran around, got killed by monsters in town wtf why are they there and just spent a while grinding xp. I got a bit farther but the game isnt really that fun. Npc interaction is pretty stiff and theres really not much to the game other than just doing generated quests and dungeons and grinding.

Amd speaking of getting killed by monsters where they dont belong i was playing might and magic a while ago and got killed by skeleton in a temple. Undead in the fucking temple, thats the last place i would expect find them

The big world can make the game really fun, depending on how you like to play. I like to decide my target destination and plan a course. I'll fast travel between adjacent cities, so that I can feel the time that passes as I journey and see the geography gradually change. I also like to dress for the climate and time of year.

If you like to roleplay like that, the big world is good. But it disappoints some people who played Morrowind first and expect to walk out the city gates into a carefully crafted wilderness with roads and signs and a quest or dungeon every few feet.

Monsters come out at night in the towns. They are there because the game takes place during the reign of Jagar Tharn, when monsters overran Tamriel.

TES was going to be an arena game originally. Funny how it turned out.

I'd love to see DaggerXL come out, but don't hold your breath. Even the beta is taking forever. We're probably closer to a world war than than DXL's release.

Well there is Daggerfall Unity, which already has an alpha release. It's still 2D for the most part, but who knows how that'll change.

dfworkshop.net

I still play Arena occasionally. Daggerfall is a great game but it can really wear you down after a while if you get really into it. Arena is refreshingly simple. It's nice being able to just go to a tavern and get a quest.

I can't really describe why I don't like the quests in arena. They feel sort of disconnected.

The quests in all of the Elder Scrolls games are disconnected. It's just a question of mindset. You really have to love old games to like Arena. It's a bare-bones RPG with a bare-bones plot, and that's why its sequel came out radically different, and now we have one of the most beloved RPG franchises of all time and Arena to thank for it.

I don't mean disconnected from each other I mean disconnected from the world I guess. You talk to faceless npcs, get random quests to go to random dungeons. It just feels empty in a way.

Well TES has always been Todd's baby, so. He was one of my personal heroes, actually, until I saw him slowly turning into Peter Molyneau.

You know I wonder if Todd could actually make a good game again if he really wanted too. For Daggerfall he was credited with additional design and for Morrowind he was credited with project lead and additional writing and quest design and since then he's just been executive producer which apparently just means front man and interview guy.

Yeah, I think after Oblivion ZeniMax probably wanted Todd to really start being a pusher. I dunno. It's hard sometimes to tell where stupidity from within ends and stupidity from the parent company begins. I still like Todd Howard because I think he's a guy who's passionate about what he does, but it just sucks when your company is owned by a lawyer who couldn't give two shits unless it happens to be making money. At least we'll always have modding; even ZeniMax will tell you that it would be stupid to remove modding support.

Todd was pretty confident that he could get away with setting aside a couple of years to work on TES VI, presumably because ZeniMax is fat and satisfied with the torrential income from Doom 4 and a couple of other projects (I'm afraid to mention ESO by name) so hopefully the next game will be a return to form for the company.

Honestly, though, for everything I love I always pick a stopping point. For Halo it was Halo 3; for Highlander it was Highlander; for Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings it was Return of the King. For The Elder Scrolls it might have to be Skyrim. There's always the possibility that the series is completely sold out, and I'm in a position now where this is a series I grew up with and emotionally invested a lot into it. I really don't want it to be another Halo, but I have no delusion that the series is going to be good forever, as much as I liked Skyrim.