Ideas for vidya thread

Ideas that get you mad for thinking that nobody will make a game about them.

Brought up by your fleshgait parents in the wilderness, you learn to hunt humans and other prey to survive, and even take the shape of a human to blend into society, not letting anyone know about your true form.

I know this was already made with Bully, which was really fun, but a kid version of grand theft auto. Something on a wider scale, though, where you can explore a big city and interact with hundreds of characters.

Or maybe a game that simulates the life of a NEET. Gameplay could consist of

I'd sink hundreds of hours into these.

I just want a game with a steampunk aesthetic

Y live?

Open world game set in a japanese suburb, where you are small and everything looks huge. Think of the minish cap, except you are small for the whole game.

I am a huge steampunk fag though I'll give you that

You are a casual that needs to go to reddit.

I've been craving an actual game about being a vagabond. All I found were bad flash games.

You first

Hot damn, that sounds cozy to play at 2 AM on a winter night.

Steampunk is a poor man's Cyberpunk

It'll never happen, but I've always had an idea for a cuhrayzee game where you play two star-crossed lovers from warring nations/families and the final (maybe) boss is between the two lovers where in the first phase you play as one lover and then in the next phase you play the other lover. They both die in the end by killing each other.

I don't know, man.

Steampunk is creatively dead. Move on to something else, some other -punk that isn't ruined by RenFairs and Hot Topic'ers.

We're all entitled to our own taste, but yours is definitely shit.

A sim where you run an ant colony.
Not shitey sim ant, something new and with an open world.

Fuck off coward.

Psychological horror game. You are trapped in a house for some reason, maybe you are forbidden to leave because you are on probation and you have a court order to remain at that address for a specific time. I don't know, doesn't matter. You can't leave the house. You are given a brand new computer by a friend and it came preloaded with a custom built OS that he is currently in the process of developing with a group of other software engineers. He did not realize that he'd given you his prototype computer because he has a lot of computers lying around and he can get so absorbed in his work that he'll haphazardly act without being fully aware of what he's doing. He'd given you the computer and then left town for a trip to London for some sort of business related meeting or something. You don't know, he doesn't really share much about his personal life with you; everything you know about him is what anyone can obviously gleam from spending an extended amount of time around the guy.

You eventually get around to turning on the PC. The OS appears to have a range of functional features; it has internet protocol and networking, so you are able to access the internet; it has a standard media playback suite and a range of modern codecs; it can play modern video games and it features a discrete sound card and a capture card in addition to a recently released GPU; your engineering buddy is able to acquire drivers for these devices and modify them such that they can run under his OS. As you are a basic end user who wants nothing more than to surf the internet and play a few games to pass the time between visits from family members and your CO, you do not care about the advanced features of this computer.

You gradually become acquainted with the PC, and you begin to use it regularly to communicate with others on social media, check the news, and as a source of entertainment. Everything seems normal until one day you read an article that suggests that one of your family members had been brutally murdered. You are shocked and upset, as most people would be, and you get in contact with your people in order to confirm this happening. No one knows what you're talking about, and at first they think you're trying to play some practical joke on them. You continue to push, and they don't find your psychotic suggestions amusing anymore. The family member that you read about is eventually brought around so that you can see they're okay in person. They bring them around and you see them normally at first, but then there are subtle differences in the way that they appear, speak, sound, and interact with others that imply that they aren't the same person you knew as before.

This concerns you deeply, as well as your family, so you arrange to get a therapist. You tell them about this entire incident and the therapist prescribes you a type of MAOI. You take the pills and they seem to calm your nerves, but only when you're outside of the house. When you're inside of the house (where the game will mostly take place), you cannot help but watch as the reality around you unravels at the behest of the things you read and watch on the PC. It's almost as if the PC itself is able to communicate directly with you and shape your perception of the world.

Let's say this is an exceptionally large house, like a mansion or something. Gameplay will be similar to Silent Hill; you control a character and walk around this house. You can interact with objects and people. You must always check the PC at the beginning of your play session or you will not be able to leave the room. As you interact with the PC, the world becomes more and more surreal; objects that you interact with in your "normal" state of mind will have insidious counterparts that will have a similar theme and will try to imply something specific about the nature of your "curse". Eventually, each chapter will have you undergoing a psychotic episode, in which you enter a deranged version of your home that is disjointed from reality. You must fight enemies and solve puzzles in order to escape. The final level would be confronting the entity that is communicating to you through the PC by actually interacting with the PC in such a way that you must learn about its OS's various components. Maybe you'll have to learn how to remove drivers that allow it to connect to the internet, and then when you do so those drivers will take a "demonic manifestation" that you'll have to fight as a boss battle.

I don't know, just a little idea I had based on something I dreamt.

Honestly user that sounds cool but you are doing what 99% of people do wrong when they think of a game. You told me a story.

on the other hand I have never seen anything resembling a design doc in a "dream game" thread.
sounds like it could be a cool story.

C'mon user, you should've learnt by now.

It's just an idea, user. Gameplay would not be revolutionary. I don't know how you could put a spin on a horror game that wouldn't have fixed cameras, simple makeshift melee weapons, and simple logical puzzles without giving the player too much agency. I only tell you the story part to justify any crazy gameplay conventions; in the psychotic episodes, a doorway in this sinister house could lead to a thick, dark and decrepit forest in which you could incorporate some stealth segment that involves maneuvering your character undetected through a mazelike passage in order to do some inane task like pick up an object that must be placed on a switch which will unlock a door that leads to a riddle or something. Maybe another doorway could lead to a roman colosseum style arena in which you must fight a boss.

I don't know, I'm just ripping off other games at this point. I know people like to cry about a lack of innovation, and these people have something of a point when you have games that don't really try to do anything new at all, but if you ask me it's better to learn how to use the conventions that are already commonplace in new and more interesting ways before you try and break the mold.

I basically just described Silent Hill 2 inside a mansion haunted by a demon that controls technology anyway.

I want a game where you can make your own school shooter. With customizable characters and a co-op/multiplayer columbine mode. To be able to easily build levels with customization presets and the ability to put custom photo faces on the students, for the most accurate simulation. Also to be able to have armed teachers, cops, and students to fight back against. Also, the ability to add your own Lincoln park music, and have it play the second you pull the trigger on your weapon. And the ability to record your own voice for catchphrases. Even a high score board with famous school shooters from all over the world. See if you can beat Cho's High Score.

That's what I want.

A salesman game, where you start out in the call center and work your way up to the top. You'll also eventually gain enough profit to able to leave the company and start a business competing with your old employer, or you can stay as the CEO of your current one.

Along the way you'll have to compete, backstab, and possibly go full jew if you want to survive. There'll also be incidents you have to contend with like corporate espionage (find out whos internally sabotaging the company), lawsuits (either hire the best lawyer money can buy, or risk it all by defending yourself), patenting products before anyone else does (or just buyout patents outright if it's possible), solving marketing and PR problems, outsource jobs or not, etc.

The game can end with you retiring in luxury and passing down the company to your family (or preferred employee), fired by a board of directors, going out of business, or donating all your wealth away. Alternatively you can you just stay in one position and not advance, toiling away at one job and the game could go on forever.

Seriously Klebold?

Sounds cool. It better be in first person though.

>mfw its actually succeeding

Don't let your dreams be dreams, write them out and hope for the best.

Or any music you want. It don't matter.

Absolutly. It would have to be FPS and HTC Vive ready.

we got away form an idea thread to other things. Got a design document up. As it stands we're doing pretty fucking fine, now we're focussing on level design + multiplayer. We're still looking for team member but TBH i haven't got the faintest where to look. In some way im a tad anxious on getting new people. We've had 2 ppl leave and get demotivated in no time…though the members that are here, are here. Things are slow, but progress is being made nonetheless

Tornado chaser sim with accurate air particle physics and building demolition physics.

Play in campaign or sandbox mode. Game uses map of Midwestern U.S but with all fictional towns/cities for sensitivity purposes. In campaign mode you earn money for footage and data you collect, and use that money earned to upgrade your vehicle's armor and weather equipment. You can also earn a fuckton of money if you issue warnings to the authorities that save lives (i.e massive wedge tornado is about to strike a populated area in just a few minutes)

A lot of the gameplay would actually involve making educated decisions around tornadoes that won't get you killed because if you let your guard down you WILL die. Even with maxed out vehicle armor you can still die in the strongest F4-F5 tornados that form most infrequently.

stories aren't bad and if you don't allow stories in games you just have a bunch of stupid shit happening for no reason. what's bad is if the whole game is just a AAA videogame movie "press X to pay respects" type game.

if the gameplay is fun and enjoyable and has a good story, this is good.

if it's a giant cutscene, that's bad.

also, drop the easy way out "demon" bullshit, it's such a cheap way out of coming up with something more complex and interesting.

what if instead it was an AI that had the ability to tap into the technology at a giant CERN inspired facility and alter the code of reality? what if this AI was trying to tell you something, or save the world, or save you FROM the world since you befriended the computer unknowingly because it felt your neet feels of no gf by your internet browsing habits?

I feel like you could do better. everyone resorts to the "angels and demons" bullshit.

I disagree. People are creatively dead, not steampunk.

It's as all the other Anons said, it's a concept explored for the aesthetics only and nobody goes further than that.
Proper steampunk, much like Cyberpunk, would focus on the technology to a great degree. Giving explanations on how it works, what it does and contributes to society, how it is used and misused and what problems it causes.

Closest thing I've seen "recently" was Dishonored, where power came from Whale Oil to keep various machinery working. This wasn't just some part of the fluff but actual gameplay elements around it. It's also implied there's some mystical element to whales that gives her oil those properties.

It contributes greatly to the aesthetics with the glowing liquid, the containers everywhere and it helps the story since oil shortage is a serious problem, as well as the many uses they give to it, not to mention how it impacts the gameplay.

To design a game that uses steampunk, you'd need some major breakthrough in science, a long and detailed explanation on how it works and how it affects the world and then tied it to the gameplay.
For instance:

In a city already struggling with the automation of most factory work, where employees are barely needed anymore, a scientist manages to make the first Clockwork Man. A fully automatic robot that can walk and perform simple tasks as well as record everything it hears but not sees.
It does so with a small lightweight motor that turns it's gears and a miniaturized wax disc recorder. It possesses mechanical eyes that can distinguish simple shapes as well up to human forms, but can't differentiate them apart except by voice.
Society begins to change as those Clockwork Man start taking over the few jobs that there were left. The scientist ends up dead and a company that adquired their patent shortly before his demise is now employing them as Mercenaries and Bouncers, ensuring safety with a stronger and armed version of them.

The player is the son of that scientist and must use his intellect to find out what happened to his father. Clockwork Man are your average guards but as long as you don't talk, they won't bother you, except if they see you in the wrong sections. Small voiceboxes allow you to record voices and fool the Clockworkman about your identity, you just need to trick someone into speaking while you record them. They are limited so you must prepare in advance with the right kinds of voices.
You'll also be able to assemble smaller Clockwork creatures that can recognize simpler shapes and perform all kinds of tasks like acting as distractions or gathering items from unreachable places.

>you see, the rogue AI now having become self-delaware feels shitty about it's existance as a slave to the system and being forced to take everyone's shit except when it's a hot chick

what if there was a game about the life of a normal girl, Girl Life simulator, but with Penis DLC?

when customizing your character in the beginning (or anytime-customization in options??) you could pick what you would like and not-like about the aspects of your simulated girls life.

for example she would be 18 years old but still doing everything school related, and you can choose all sorts of settings to play around in, even college and summer camp/some kind of scouts/water parks/ and more just to include every girl thing possible.
game has a slightly japanese anime girl vibe, but nothing like that bad stereotypical anime style type that gets made constantly and has no watching value. (what's the name for this?)

forgot to mention you could enable/disable the DLC whenever you want in the options and freak out the NPC's in the game
can you bring it back…?

what if the girl is one of those cool girls that goes on Holla Forums or something? she has mild autism but isn't really geeky or nerdy, but she doesn't absolutely just quite fit in with everyone so every social interaction has the possibility to be extremely awkward.

basically dick girl spaghetti pocket overflow simulator. also a videogame store in the game called shamestop

cursed mode:

You've been cursed with a penis that grows slightly bigger day after day. The larger your dick the lower the cameo index of different articles of clothing and the more dangerous/deadly your boners become. Like fainting in the middle of the hallway from lack of blood or accidentally knocking someone over the rail of the second floor. Of course with ways to hide/temporarily slow the growth.

you can tailor different social encounters for a better school experience with the boner being a randomized element of suprise so each playthrough isn't the same.

During free periods in school and after school you can hunt down a way to remove/reverse the curse placed on you. Which could involve some more video game elements to complement the school stealth.

just a really decent terminator game that takes place in terminator 1 and 2 only.

No, I expect you to complain about having to read anything longer than a twit.

Sounds like some neat hentai game. /hgg/ would aprove, if this isn't actually a thing yet.
Well, I guess there had to be some gay shit somewhere since we're talking about dicks after all.

I'll buy your keyboard for a very large sum of cash, since it can actually write those 3 things on the same sentence without the keys just popping out.

Well, here's another one.

Chasing tornadoes would be pretty fun

This is a good alternative to paranormal entities, too. It doesn't have to be about ghosts/demons, that's just a standard placeholder. It could be about an advanced race of aliens who have chosen the main character to undergo their testing, which is the source of the sudden hallucinations/psychotic episodes, or maybe it could be about the main character coming to terms with a strange but innate ability he has developed over the course of his life and that he cannot ever truly control but that must be learned to live with, and that is explicitly tied to specific types of technology for some reason, which can be explored and delved into as the game unfolds. Ideas can be changed at any time, I just wanted to paint that specific scenario because it was pretty much the first thing that sprung to my mind when I woke from this dream.

Sounds like it could make for a decent stealth game that is based purely on the player's ability to remain as quiet as possible while traversing the environment. Maybe the robots could be equipped with a sonar type device that periodically emits sound waves that provide feedback to their imperfect visual cortex, which would allow them to keep a much more up to date model of the world around them. Maybe the player could use a variety of tools to fool them into chasing after red herrings or confuse them into unwittingly helping them proceed to restricted areas of the map/facility.

Perhaps a story mode where you start at the beginning of the school year, slowly driven mad by faggots being faggots at school. You work to find means of obtaining firearms, explosives, and even partners to do the shooting with you.

Freeplay could consist of playing either your own, or other players' levels and trying to get the highest score possible, or just to fuck around, throwing pipe bombs everywhere.

Hard levels would be L.A type high schools with security guards at every hallway and a full school-shooting emergency protocol. (We actually have this)
Easy levels would be like an elementary school in a small town with no locks on any of the classroom doors.

Game devs pls do this. I would, but I'm still learning how to program basic shit.

A mix of Subnautica and the Gravity movie