Xbox Thread

Hey fags, we haven't had one in a while and I have shit to ask.

I want to use the system as a media center / games box / emulator box. In terms of HDD, how difficult is it to set up 1/2 TB HDDs inside the system? I understand you need adapter and shit, but isn't it difficult to format and shit?

Secondly, if you haven't got an Xbox v 1.0 - 1.3, is it better off getting on of those or stick with what you have? I have two laying about, and am unsure what model they are.

Lastly, how's the online components for the system? Can you stream any sort of video to it from internet, or do anything on the internet with the use of XBMC or shit?

General Xbox thread. Post about best 6th gen multiplat system.

Other urls found in this thread:

se7ensins.com/forums/threads/easy-way-to-softmod-an-original-xbox-usb-noob-friendly.1090166/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Posting the Xbox guides. Anyone got any Xbox HUGE images?

I've got a copy of xbmc4xbox running on my xbox but its almost entirely worthless for streaming video since most of the programs are either broken, deprecated or link to content that no longer exists. If you want a dedicated media machine I'd suggest getting a raspberry pi clone on ebay or something instead.

I haven't been able to do a hard drive upgrade on my console because I don't have a supported controller so I just burn dvds for my games.

I mean its serviceable but if you want a really good media center a CFW PS3 is the way to go in terms of storage and HD.

IIRC anything but the 1.6 requires the capacitator to be removed. I own a 1.6 and some games like Panzer Dragoon Orta require a patch (unless you play them in 480i).

Honestly, you're not really going to get anything more out of the Xbox unless you only use it to stream music or SD videos. It's not great for anything else, media center specific. I have a 1.6 and a 1.3, I think. The 1.3 is nice for xmugen, but it's been sitting around collecting dust since I bought a first generation Apple TV instead. More RAM, better GPU and CPU, runs Linux normally. Not as good as any modern computer but nice for the component out and ease of use.

ps2 > xbox

Just saying.

and PC beats all of them by a few hundred miles

you can't play otogi or steel battalion on PC, silly

What? I have the crystal xbox if that means anything

the clock capacitor. You can sort-of determine the revision of your xbox by checking the manufacture date, but a more reliable way is to disassemble it and check the video encoder chip. Even better is to just have the system self report and tell you what version it is if you have it soft modded (which you should)

Ah yes, if only I knew that pcgamingwiki could tell me how to configure JSRF on how to work.
Fucking retarded. It should be an ironed out, working piece of software when it's launched.

The clock capacitor has a chance to explode and kill the board, essentially, so it's a good idea to remove it to save the hardware.

not necessarily explode, but it will leak electrolytic fluid over time. It's a particularly susceptible capacitor. Fortunately it can be removed and the Xbox functions fine without it.

See the second pic specifically. You can try playing JSRF or Panzer Dragoon Orta ob 480p. If it doesnt play (ie - needs patching) you've got a 1.6. If it plays just take the capacitator out.

Great contribution.

Did consider one of those sorts of machines, since emus probably work better as well, but did like XBMC when had it a while ago.

Nothing really on PS3 appeals to me to play compared to the Xbox.

Have a shit ton of DVDs laying about, it'd be useful for them I imagine.

As long as it is not a 1.6 revision. If you take it out on a 1.6 it will not boot.

How to check? 1.6s are easy - they have a chip clearly branded as 'Xcalibur' on the mainboard.
Supposedly the 1.6 caps are of higher quality, so leaving them should be safe.

Yeah, it can handle that. I can't remember if there's a way to make it play region free discs since I know with the official DVD remote add on, it would select a region and lock you to that.

I like Halo, very much.
What's up with those new shitty games that calls themselves "Halo" by the way? Aren't they supposed to be sued or something for stealing the name?

Just take a fucking look at that Halo 4 MC, fucking perverted bastardized pile of shit. Look at the feet, and the crotch, what the fuck is up with all those loose flimsy parts and the fucking leathery ballsack pouch that hangs right fucking there? It looks like he's wearing a fucking tracksuit beneath his armor too, dogshit design.

What's a good place to get Xbox ISOs, and should I hardmod or softmod an Xbox? I'm stocking up on vidya for the UN debacle.

I dont think halo 4 armor looks that bad, buts its certainly not as good as the halo 2 armor, and nothing is better than the ODST armor hands down its one of the best halo games too.

You were talking about a media center. The PS3 does that better, I personally own a launch one so it does Ps1+2+3 and I use it for HD movies something you wont get with xbox.

theisozone, otherwise you can make any of these threads and I don't mind sharing any of the games in the library. I have pretty much all of them.

I meant in combination really. But not surprised PS3 beats it outright, given always has been a great media player.

All my shit's on standard DVDs, haven't got any HD shit, so probably still fits my wants in that regard.

Probably is a way. Think XBMC does it automatically, but could be making that up.

Softmod since easier to accomplish, and I think the hardmod only gives a couple extra benefits over it.

the biggest benefit of hard modding is it makes recovering from failure much less painless. Just pop in a slayers disc and you're good.

How is a PS3 for emulators and shit anyway? Is shit easy to set up on it?
I read PSP runs on it as well, any good?

Probably worthwhile if you're constantly tinkering with the system then.

That's a shame. How is its network capability? I may convert my old one into a seedbox or something instead

If you want to download them in giant batches, Pleasure Dome is the place to go, but I had to wait for them to freeleech. Theisozone like said for clearnet downloads.

It depends on what you already have. If you don't have either the games with the exploit (Splinter Cell, Agent Under Fire, or the certain version of Mech Assault), or a computer with an IDE slot, getting a hardmod is the way to go, since it's harder to mess up. I softmodded because I have an old Dell Optiplex (mid '90s vintage) laying around, so I didn't even need the games. It was the tougher way to do it, though.

As for OP, I'd use it just to play games. You can get an Amazon Fire HD or something and load it with Kodi to get a better experience, unless you want to play DVDs from the same box. There's plenty of exclusives to justify picking up a used Xbox for, and it's generally better for multiplats than the PS2.

It's piss-easy to set up user:

Need to get an original PS3 to get all the benefits really. How bad was the YLOD in it? I've managed to forget.

Already got a shit ton of Xbox games laying around, alongside the burnt ones ready to install anyway. Be pleasant if could watch shit online on it, but probably was asking for too much from the old box.

the save method with splinter cell, a usb cable, and compatible usb device is pretty cheap. A very reliable method, the old IDE hotswap method isn't really needed any more.

I really should have done it that way. Pretty sure all the hassle with having to switch hard drives after boot would have made the required things well worth it.

The "Fat" models are getting ridiculously old and are still pretty expensive. If you want hassle-free PS2 emulation though, it's still the way to go. Luckily the recent round of firmwares include Cobra features built-in, including PS2 emulation from standard ISOs; meaning you can get an older "Slim" model and a laptop hard drive on sale, and go to town. Slims are way more reliable, and a lot cheaper.

YLOD's mostly come from the cheap chinese assembly the PS3's went through. I've decided not to deal with it, and go faithful with a fat PS2, get HDD loading with OPL running and call it a day.

Fuck that shit. Unless you have a specific set of games you want to play and actually work, compatibility isn't the best.

Install pkg, then either use USB or FTP games straight to the HDD.
Has good compatibility, not perfect though so some games like FFTA don't work. It works but doesn't save.

Matter of luck really. Its not as bad as the first X360s that had a 50% failure rate but its pretty much luck of the draw with those launch models. I'm lucky mine hasn't kicked the bucket, regularly dust it out and I don't play extensively on it (ie - no 3 hour sessions etc). Plus CFW allows for fan control making it way noisier but way safer too.

I've heard fat PS3s benefit from new thermal paste and maybe fans. I own a super slim myself and a fat ps2.

OG Xbox does indeed have a handful of nice exclusives, but do you really think it's a good idea to get in a dick-waving contest with PC over exclusives? Really now.

As for games that are 'ironed out' and 'working' when launched, you mean like how Panzer Dragoon Orta, JSRF and Sega GT lock up the console in 480p on 1.5 and 1.6 models? How much longer do you think it will be before Sega releases a patch for that? Keep waiting, I'm sure it's right around the corner. But I'm sure the rest of the catalog is perfect and bug-free, right?

Stick with potatoes kid, you're right where you belong.

Are you the same "Xbox games are buggy" autist from that thread a couple of weeks ago?

At the very least half of these games are complete shit that indeed deserve going straight into trash, and at least half of the good ones are so old that they only work through virtual machines or source ports. Simply ebin you sure showed 'em! xD

wew

Just kill yourself and spare the gene pool. Well designed software shouldn't magically break as long as you run similar architecture the whole time.
Seriously, fucking kill yourself, that shit should be tested rigorously.

Well, I'm following this guide but the links in the blue box take me to websites that don't load or don't show.
Does anyone have the files?

se7ensins.com/forums/threads/easy-way-to-softmod-an-original-xbox-usb-noob-friendly.1090166/

All files on there if needed.

Thanks a lot, but in the link it says the PSP I use needs a 32MB memory card. Is this true?

Any memory card works I believe. I used a 1GB and worked fine. Just remember it'll wipe the memory card, so back up shit if needed.

So why does a PSP work for this?

Only a certain type of USB made at a very specific time supports it or something. more alternatives are listed in

just can't be any larger than 4GB.

I've been sitting on this for months. Think I'll check it out.

Don't bother, it's outclassed by even modern streaming boxes now. At best you can play 720p videos with 8 bit color spaces, it can't decode anything higher quality than that.

And now you're lying, your mother would be so proud.

I played JSRF on my 1.5 a year ago faggot, no lockups whatsoever.

It must be, except now he's spreading blatant falsehoods.

quality > quantity

just saiyan

aren't 1.5's super uncommon? If anything you may just want to try to find a 1.0 or 1.1 console, The conexant chip is the best and has the least issues and the system is overall a bit better designed, apart from the stupid capacitors

also are PC gamers the atheists of gaming?

Halo 2 and 3 were definitely the series peak in my opinion, Halo 4 and onwards are just kinda depressing how they ruin the Halo name with bullet magnetism and really dull new enemy and location designs.

I always preferred the jungle and outdoor locations especially in halo 3 (love Tsavo Highway) but now its all industrial and not the cool purple covenant industrial just grey and yellow. I don't know if I can fully explain it but the magic I felt from Halo 3/ODST and the games before them are gone.

[pretty sure I saw Zork in there which just reeks of padding out the list with things people rarely play anymore to look bigger

Halo games really shine with open outdoor sections with a variety of vehicles to play with. I have a fondness for the tight knit indoor areas that push you into snap decisions in combat

Well, reddit is super big on PC gayming from what i can tell.

How do I remove this shit without ruining the booklet?

heat gun/hair dryer.

How can you be an atheist when you're already God?