Xonotic

Free, both gratis and libre, arena shooter.
xonotic.org/

Schedule polling for weekend play times begins on Wednesdays.
CTRL+F "Schedule Poll" for the latest polls.

Holla Forums Xonotic Server (NA Pacific, 0.8.1) Status
dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic&server=98.176.140.2:26000

Newbie Guide:
gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/wikis/Halogenes_Newbie_Corner

Previous thread:
archive.is/pzAI0

Polling Template
p.teknik.io/Z2a4y

Feel free to organize schedules for days between now and Friday too.
If you're currently playing (early), announce in the thread so thread lurkers know when to join.

Other urls found in this thread:

poal.me/xjj5x8
poal.me/7c94jy
poal.me/lqj5i2
poal.me/fawfr3
forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=6334
discord.gg/Pm8Sv
discord.gg/yZWGN2K
poal.me/etxykh
poal.me/faffe1
poal.me/m8p13f
poal.me/r2bo5i
u.teknik.io/pPVFz.pk3
worldtimebuddy.com/
poal.me/vajwax
poal.me/25z0zx
poal.me/fatmst
stats.xonotic.org/game/613343
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_UT5CfDrPEGf73gF3iqaUVucA7R31Zgh33b7KxbP2QM/edit?usp=sharing
strawpoll.me/11325827
strawpoll.me/11343675
banners.8ch.net/list/v
epochconverter.com/.
poal.me/do4poh
poal.me/5dsjp7
poal.me/m00jmv
mega.nz/#!CMwXXZKZ!igVjyPAK00B9S2mf2Eib1yVHP4iIzAfiT75XTcqJpuM
mega.nz/#!jVgwTQjY!Z16AnoZWscbhVliE6SB6Sx-mMorbDFyNr9B_KYnCSJw
mega.nz/#!yFpVzDpL!FlSuYuMwsJt0hwATgxrxgAuTeF0HINjj1HFbA85i4iU
xonotic.org/
p.teknik.io/Z2a4y
archive.is/lEAgE
u.teknik.io/EBt0B.txt
issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-18641
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Also 9 currently on the server.

Thursday, September 1st
poal.me/xjj5x8

Friday, September 2nd
poal.me/7c94jy

Saturday, September 3rd
poal.me/lqj5i2

Sunday, September 4th
poal.me/fawfr3

As mentioned before there is a tournement set for September 10th.

It is hosted in Europe, but some are playing for fun despite >150 ping.

I'll be around when not fucking around in warfarm. Probably won't play it tonight barring a Nitain alert, so I'll be on Xon when not doing laundry/extracting a transcript. I'll drop discord info in later today for anyone has a question they wanna ask when I'm not on the server. Duel invites are also welcome. Also I auto record demos. If you wanna see a specific duel or dm match from my PoV, just ask

4 currently on the server.

discord.gg/Pm8Sv
Reusing one I made for the brief period in which people were playing Global Agenda
Also I just noticed that there's a Xon banner. Nice

also Ant did you remember to set the download location to the actual again? people seem to be getting stuck in downloads

The default download url has been the server's own http server. Are they getting stuck on a specific map or the server package?

2 currently on the server. Also bumping from page 14.

If you recall, Jolly Roger was having issues with that one map the other night. Last night, another guy was stuck trying to dl for several minutes but I didn't get a response out of him before he d/c'd. Map was Redemption

Also not seeing many Americans in the tourney, just me, sawa and cao, and I'm not even American. Nobody else prepared to join the 150 ping club?
You can register in the thread or talk to an admin. You could also just show up day-of if you wanted, but that means fewer flags in the roster

I've been wanting to try and play but with the tornado warnings and tropical storm almost escalating to a hurricane I've been busy hiding in a bathtub with a mattress over my head.

BardoK-CPM, I've changed the link to the server's maphost. Same goes for other maps.

On the tournament, I have little against playing with 200+ ping, but September 10th & 11th are days I maybe won't be on for depending on what happens. Not going to sign up yet.

Scratch that post i decided to check and it is indeed a hurricane, just getting the bands right now but it's predicted it'll make landfall tomorrow. Even though it's just the bands I've been getting a lot of tornado warnings in my area along with high wind and rain. Time to batten down the hatches and ride this shit out.

2 people on the server, myself included.

For anyone interested, tourney map pool finalized:
Aerowalk, Blood Run, Downer, Final Rage, Fuse, Stormkeep and Warfare

Loss and I are on the server right now. sawa came in for a few CTS races.

Who wants to git gud with me on the Chicago duel server? I'm usually down to play at around ~9-11 EST.

Fite me fgt.

2 currently on the server.

Link is very dead.

Added maps for dm are great, get more quake maps

discord.gg/yZWGN2K
There we go, unfucked the shitty default invite, kicked the 3 inactives from GA
Currently playing Warfarm because my current setup is shit for Xon. Back to nodesk, wifi, and wireless headset. PL out the ass

3 or 4 people on the server right now, feel free to join in.

Bump from page 15.

we should do this on a weekend or something. we've had enough annons for a project reality 2 game so we can have enough for this.

We've been having these games on weekdays and weekends. It's been a slump lately.

Also I'm not sure if I should bother putting up a schedule poll for the coming weekend since there's the duel tournament.

Well at least it's over now.

So I floated an idea in the server today and wanted to toss it in here
I think the server might benefit from a "newbie night". We've definitely noticed lower numbers with regards to new player acquisition and retention, and it wouldn't take much to have a night during the week where more experienced players let newbies duel/dm and give advice.

I would generally suggest Monday-Wednesday sometime since we don't really have a whole lot planned on those days anyway (and we probably don't get many players because there's no guaranteed activity), but if there's a day people think will work better that's fine. I can be on hand in the server and in the previously linked discord to give pointers (not that I'll abstain from giving advice outside of that of course)

I dunno what else would be beneficial for that though, other than not voting CTS that night

What we ultimately need though are batches of new players. We got an okay number from the last batch, we just need another set of people who can play with and improve alongside each other rather than just having to play catch-up

Not a bad idea, but new players coming in groups wasn't the result of an intentional effort.

The largest batch we got was the initial one, and the most consistent successs we've had numbers-wise is with scheduling. People just want to know that other people will be around to play, but now we have the added issue of people (understandably) not wanting their first match to be a 24 to -3 stomp

We also get a lot of new players who don't know anything about movement or item timing, who don't have weapon binds, etc.

Biggest challenge in AFPS right now is getting new players over that initial hump so they can enjoy all the crazy shit. This isn't a new issue but I feel it's important we fix that shit ASAP>>10626101

I had the thought that though it's "easy" to have experienced players sit out and coach, it's not a guarantee that new players will be connecting to the server. As for what organizing "newbie night" involves, it sounds like extra scheduling for Monday to Wednesday and making sure the new players get feedback on their duel, etc.

I like the goal of the idea though.

If no players new show up it's just a normal night. All that ultimately matters is that we have the structure there on that one particular night to help new players, and that people know when the best night is to get acquainted with the game. If someone is busy on the planned newbie night I can give em a hand on a weekend or something.

Also might help to not try to trick people into getting stomped :^)

3 on the server at this moment.

Clearly, that's only happening because I put on this name, and SPLAT joins the match.

Operation Newbie Night is a success. Thanks, man couldn't have gotten this many people here without you.

I got my goddamned argon crystals so I can ignore warfarm for tonight. Looking forward to helping out new players

Bad news guise.
The fifteen minute record is no more.

I just had the craziest idea while fucking around on boxgardens:
a CTS/H-O-R-S-E hybrid where one player sets a (highlighted) path for the other player(s) to go through.
For example, if the first player comes across a fork in the road and turns left, the following player(s) has to turn left as well. If the starting player dies, that player's turn is skipped.
Points are floating point numbers based upon completion and speed. Failing to start a path by dying, failing to complete the path and veering off of the path net zero points. Making a complete path will net exactly one point. Completing another player's path nets points based on speed (thisPathsPoint=firstPathTime/ownPathTime; score+=thisPathsPoint). For example, if a player makes a path in 60 seconds and another player completes that path in 40 seconds, the first player gets 1 point while the other player gets 1.5 points. Another example would be where a player makes a path in 30 seconds and another player completes the path in 50 points, getting 0.6 points.
The game concludes after all players run through their opponents' paths. The winner is the one with the most points, which is based upon how fast that player generally goes through other player's paths.
I don't know how tight the tolerances should be for following a path, nor do I know whether to have the players set their own paths with a dedicated key or simply use the default checkpoints.
I may even program this myself. I have some knowledge in C++, but I haven't done any research into what Xonotic is running on.

Pretty sure it's heavily modified Darkplaces. Good luck. Sounds like a fun mode

One that doesn't require anything but warm-up that is quite fun is tag
Melee only, one person volunteers or is randomly chosen to be "it"
If you melee someone while being "it", that person is now "it", no tag back rules aren't necessary but might be the way to go
Good way to practice movement. Easier to do in VoIP though because you can quickly announce who you tagged

I think I may have mentioned this before but I can't remember

This is the server right now.
7 players online.

Got some people on the server right now, again. 5-6 ish, I think? Busy day today, I guess. Hopefully it'll keep like that.

On a side note, if I'm a fresh spawn and I'm in a fight (granted I probably shouldn't be in a fight as a fresh spawn, but anyway) would I want to swap between blaster and shotgun repeatedly or just stick with shotgun?

Combo your blaster and shotgun. The blaster will do okay damage and mess up their aim. You can also use the altfire on the blaster to swap to the shotgun, so if your SG bind is kinda ass (mine is) then you don't have to keep pressing it

Thursday, September 8th
poal.me/etxykh

Friday, September 9th
poal.me/faffe1

Saturday, September 10th
poal.me/m8p13f

Sunday, September 11th
poal.me/r2bo5i

Reminder that there is a duel tournament hosted in Germany held on Saturday and Sunday that will be a time conflict.

When exactly is that tournament?

For a heads up, there is a new map with a pretty preview named "aquanica" on the server. It is a WIP map and consider it in beta, but besides that, it is huge as fuck for a map (~50 MB download, meanwhile the default download rate for clients is like 500 KB/s). Right now I don't think the http server can timely serve the worst case scenario with client downloads (15 brand new players without csprogs.dat, quake 3 compatibility package, and without the map).

Ideally, if you'd like to give a go, download and rename this to aquanica.pk3.
u.teknik.io/pPVFz.pk3

From tournament details:

worldtimebuddy.com/

5 players currently on the server.

yo what up fam i wanna shoot some shitters with a railgun when's the serb going up again

Any idea on how to set the weapon model to center? OmnYfie is having issues setting the gun model to center, although lizard has no such problem.

Never mind that, after a new map came it centered.

Also, powerups are cancerous and why does every Quake clone have to do it's own bullshit like the laser guidance on rocket launcher and powerups which can 2shot you at 100 hp and armor. Also making a popup for when it's about to spawn will make everyone go to that area and fight about it, then the one who wins has to be avoided for 30 seconds because as I said they can 2 shot you. I see absolutely 0 reason why anyone thought this was a good idea.

Sup faggot, thought you fucked off back to Wildstar and Tribes.
Some settings aren't applied and won't be obvious until a vid_restart (either type that in the console or trigger a loading screen).
Power ups are disabled on Deathmatch (XPM).

Game sucks, i cant even get a single kill.

I stopped playing Wildstar (although I am considering starting playing again) and I got bored of playing with the same NJ5B hitscan shitters saying that hitscan pistols (95 damage per hit with 0 spread and 100% accuracy, while the Assault Rifle is 75 damage and only has 200 more DPS (if you hit 100% of your shots,a difficult thing to pull off with non-hitscan small projectiles)) are balanced. I just got so frustrated with the game. Tribes 1, 2 and Vengance are dead. And I can't play the first 2.

get good fam

I can get frags with 200 ping, so can you.
Pick up a rail and just git gud.

I just played Warsow and it's a better game then this tbh. Free and open source as this.
warsow.gg if anyone cares.

Here's some rando really bad gameplay.

Schedule polling looks like this for today.

I got some random gameplay too. XDF runs works pretty well with the file size limit when I think about it.

I'd probably play Xonotic but I can't stand some of the weapons and having to play with 200 ping or play with no one.
Nice frag though.

I can understand 200 ping being a turn off. No idea what happened to the French server's admin.

Power ups are for larger map sizes and are made so that players can gain a leg up and provide more resources to fight over. I think the timer on it should go for sure, but there's no inherent issue with Quad Damage and it's equivalents. Just bait the pickup and gib whoever tries to get it if you don't want it used, or vote XPM/play on servers where it's disabled

Guided rockets are a thing because it's fun and you can do cool shit with em

Also I tried Warsow but it just felt like a poor man's CPM. Pretty easy to get ahold of Q3's pak0 at this point so I don't see the sense in playing 'sow over it

Also EU is more active than NA in Xon overall. Not sure where to go for matches but they are, presumably, out there. All the tourneys are EU too

I can teach you how to get better if you're having trouble. You're probably just too used to casualshit shooters. AFPS isn't so hard once you learn how shit works.

A lot of it was just anger because the only weapon I could use decently with 200 ping is the Railgun. What I meant by "Play with 200 ping or play with no one" was that there is no Holla Forums server in The Muslim Caliphate of Europe

Warsow is a lot faster then Xonotic, faster then Q3A also. You might have played Free for all which right now does not have properly designed maps and is really cramped with over 6 players. The bigger maps are excellent and offers really fun gameplay.

I tried it a few years back. The movement is based off of the CPM mod for Quake 3 (although for a while that movement wasn't available without console fuckery). The weapons are as well, but they have worse SFX. I heard something about weak and strong ammo too but it wasn't a thing when I played iirc. What Warsow adds is that special move button, but I dislike how it allows easy momentum transfers and trivializes certain jumps.

I haven't tried since 2.0 though. I'll probably see what changed/what I missed out on last time but that special jump annoys me, as someone who actually likes to learn shit like doubles into circles, proper circles in general etc. Theyre not made entirely obsolete but there's definitely some jumps where they aren't necessary anymore, or where they felt easier to pull off at a sufficient level

Very nice, might try to play again tonight if my network is feeling cooperative.

5 on the server right now.
Also my fake lag stopped working.

I personally think dash/dodge and walljump is a pretty nice mechanic, and adds an extra layer of complexity to master to movement in addition to gunblade/rocket jumping and boosting. I will record make some WebM about how you can do some pretty sick movement around one of the more open maps tomorrow if I don't forget.

The server has a vcall for duel now.
vcall +duel
to enforce the 2 player limit.
vcall -duel
to disable it.

The server automatically lifts the limit after a match.

A 4v4 CTF. Isn't this nice?

It actually takes away from a lot of jumps. You can completely trivialize certain tricks by walljumping, and the only real solution to that is to make the gaps larger so you have to do the trick and then walljump. I also don't like the lower level of readability with regards to player movement. If someone wants to take a corner in CPM, they have to visibly turn, and if they're shit at bhop they'll lose speed. In Wsw, they can just bounce off of a wall and keep all of their speed while doing it

Also the gunblade stuff is doable in Xon from what I've seen. Some of the plasma stuff isn't doable in CPM/Xon though, to my knowledge

It's tourney time, faggots. Check-in in >30 mins

30 mins left for check-in

Playing CTS on the server at the moment.

Server confirmed botnet.
Admin works for Illuminati.
bump

Hopped in with a friend. If anyone wants to come and play he's at about the level of the regulars on the server as far as I can tell

Well that blew up.

God what the fuck is this shit.

Quake wasn't made to be played as FFA anyway, powerups add a lot of depth to TDM and CTF, where setting up for a quad properly can let your team make a comeback with a good quad run. I think the icon that makes everyone go to it without timing it is a little stupid but it's better than nobody showing up at all I guess.

Join #xonotic.pickup on quakenet if you want to play with euros, pickups are most days and usually 4v4tdm

Tried warsow way back when and it wasn't nearly as fun as this or nexuiz. FFA and DM were pretty dead in my area on both games but this server has players anytime I want to play the regular modes.

Talked to Ant about this last night, but how do people feel about a duel ladder? We could reset it every 2 weeks or every month or whatever in case someone hops in and then never comes back

There's just one big consideration
Anonymity - basically we could make it so that all of you would be able to enter without having it attached to your main alias by not outputting data to XonStats. There's two issues here, one of which is match confirmation, which is worked around by having a place to send demos into, the other is the use of accuracy/weapon usage stats to know where your weaknesses might be.

If anonymously entering isn't a huge issue for everyone then it's a bit of a moot point. Though now that I think about it. Anonymous users + no centralized communication platform would also make it more difficult to find the next person on the list.

I'd also like to see more new players in duels. Not in some weird forcible way, but just in the sense that, if you're a new player and want to improve at a faster rate, we should try to set up some system by which you can duel people without everyone else just sitting around waiting. It also makes it easier to give feedback when you're in a 1on1 scenario. I suppose if nothing else the HUB servers are almost always free for that.

Just to clarify, when I talk about 1on1 for newbies I mean two newbies dueling with one or more of us spectating. Its much harder to give feedback to all players involved when they aren't playing directly against each other. In a DM scenario it's much easier to get a frag-able spawn or get pushed into a bad spot as a result of another fight, and I can't always see what happened if I'm POV spec'ing. In duel, however, I can at least go "you died because of X" because your only causes of death are environmental factors and your opponent.

Also remember that practicing item timing is quite easy and very important. This one applies to pretty much everyone

Hey guys, I downloaded Xonotic last night and I'm having trouble getting it to start. I'm running Linux Mint 17.3 (hated Ubuntu). I got it to run ONCE. I double-clicked xonotic-linux64-glx and that was when it ran the first time. I tried to join the Holla Forums server but got that thing where you're essentially in the void but can still move and shoot. So I know that was because I didn't have libcurl. BUT since closing the game out, It won't launch again when I double-click that same file, or any of the other linux ones for that matter.

Help a loonix & xonotic newfag out?

XonStats is open source I'm pretty sure, we could host our own Holla Forums stats if we wanted to which might be kind of cool, but doesn't really provide anything. I think if people want to remain anonymous, they can just use the option to not follow the name, and have it show up as Anonymous Player in xonstat.

Try opening a TE wherever your xonotic-linux64-glx is and run it by ./xonotic-linux64-glx and see what it says

Got this error

Quake Error: session lock /home/astro23/.xonotic/lock could not be acquired. Please run with -sessionid and an unique session name.

As far as I can comment on the issue you maybe still have Xonotic running.

Ah! Sure enough, that little shit's still running in the background, even though I closed it out. I shoulda guessed that sooner. Oh well, got it now, thanks user! I had to kill the process though, it wouldn't just "end" like normal, so I had to kill it and then remove it instead.

It's not really about XonStats as it was about opting out of it and having a fun duel event.

To actually have the server keep track of who's where on the duel ladder (like a leaderboard on CTS, w/e), it most likely need a custom server package (and someone to make it for whatever special metric we're going by, and every client connecting to download it).

Is this more similar to Quake or Unreal Tournament when it comes to arena shooter gameplay? That way I know what settings to pick.

Probably more like Quake because of the movement. It's mentioned that every weapon has a UT-like alt-fire, but any similarities beyond that I can't really say for sure.

I'm gonna git gud so I can play with you fags. I haven't played arena shooters in a while.

I'd say more like quake, but I haven't played unreal tournament so I wouldn't know. It's pretty close to CPM but with a lot more fun things you can do, and movement is more smooth/easy.

I downloaded it looking for the Holla Forums server or whatever, seems like Quake with slightly better movement. Still haven't played multiplayer online yet though I'd probably get wiped all over the floor.

Online right now playing CTS with Fetus.

You can just copy and paste the server ip which is in the OP.

Oh cool, I didn't know you guys had the resources to do something like that. Anyway, if anyone wants anonymity it's no problem to opt out of xonstat, I think it'll still be tracked.

4 in the server right now. If you got scared off by 9-Ball pls come back.

Is it just Americans that play this? Would an Aussie be shit out of luck ping wise?

It's more like Europe plays this.
Aussies get like 200 ping to the server. We had a few come before, it's probably okay for Race CTS, but it's usually considered unideal for fights. Depends if you can get used to it, last weekend one or some of us decided to play in a tourney at 170+ ping.

By player count it's Europeans by far the most, Americans have a small community, and anything else you're gonna have some trouble. There's a developer from Australia and one guy that lives in Siberia but other than that you'll not have much fun outside of defrag (just movement, no killing). You could also play instagib with like 300ms but you can judge for yourself how much fun that is.

I can handle 200 ping fine t. finn

6 in the server at the moment. If you're new please keep the other newbies company. It's not ideal to come in one by one and get scared off.

Fuck that. I'll stick with quake live. It's populated by cunts way outside my skill level, but at the very least it runs well.

This is right now.

He doesn't like the current weapon balance in Xonotic. I'm actually talking to him now about it.

I have lost control of my life. There is now a new game mode vote option on the server. It's essentially regular DM except the weapons are rebalanced.

List of changes:

Play with it sometime and post what you think about it.

2 people on the server right now, feel free to join in.

The server has been a target of a UDP Flood around 5 pm PST, and of Ping of Death in the morning that day.

What about Chaosesque Anthology

You tell me I don't play it.

Looks like a mess but what about it?

Nice, the scytheguy weapon balance mode (aka quake with different skins). Can I just mg whore instead of vortex whoring now?

These balance suggestions aren't actually from Smilescythe. I think the changes can be summarized as an attempt to make Electro, MG, Hagar more viable compared to the current trinity of Mortar/Vortex/Devastator.

5 on the server at the moment.

Xonotic forums react to suggestion of a NA tournament

Indicate when you'll be playing. Sorry about missing Wednesday.

Friday, September 16th
poal.me/vajwax

Saturday, September 17th
poal.me/25z0zx

Sunday, September 18th
poal.me/fatmst

Right now playing on the server with 9-ball.

The server right now.

Ant you gotta stop using the Xon forums for excess shitposting. Keep it to the image board threads, or at least to offtopic/ch4mp threads

What happened to Nexuiz?

The dude who technically owned it decided he was going to make a retail product. He couldn't keep nexiuz in the state it was in because it was primarily comprised of GPL-licensed work. So instead he made that shitty cryengine game that sold next to no copies on steam. The game that used to be called Nexiuz couldn't be called that anymore so the remaining devs/the community renamed it to Xonotic and kept working on it

At least that's my understanding of the whole fiasco

People playing FOSS Nex now are basically playing a 10 year old version of Xon

:-o

What happened to Tribes: Ascend?

Samefag here, I just checked the latest video on the TA site and it looks preddy good tbh. How is it currently?
I am looking for a mp fps game that I can play from time to time. inb4 CoD, I already have CoD4 I liked Tribes but sucked at it and I fucking loathed the f2p kikery in it. I redownloaded Quake Live recently again, but I just don't feel it, maybe I'm just a casual cunt who hates the fucking armor system. How does Xonotic differ from QL?

Last time I started the game (last month or something) like 2 or 3 servers had any players on them (EU). So, super dead.

Just read this guide to get how the movement and weapons work

Xonotic has air control like CPM, 2 fire modes for each weapons, and a lot more fun stuff like you can curve rockets and do damage through walls. Xon feels a lot more "casual" when you're playing but there's still a lot of stuff you can do.

as much as I wanted to like TA, it fucking deserved to be dead

will do, thanks

that's a turnoff for me, but I'll try it anyway, might be cool. I tried to get into csgo some months ago, but I just had enough recently. Why should I commit 40+ minutes to a game with 4 other potential retards on my team? Fuck Valve games in general. Thanks btw.

Also, another off-topic question (not like there's a lot of arena shooter threads here), how's the new UT? Should I just wait until they shit it out or does it worth it to try out in early access?

This forum thread is amazing. Let's make an anime out of it.

Translator's note: 8位 means thread starter.

I can't post webms on the forums.

It's nothing too extreme, to curve the rocket just hold down your fire while the rockets in the air and move your aim to the direction you want it to tail off to, and there's just simple walldamage if the person is right behind it, or above a floor or something, nothing too extreme. You won't notice most of these on the Holla Forums server because the skill level is pretty low.

the rivalry begins

I assumed this would be good advice but all I see is ant's reputation climb with every shitpost.

Polls removed?

I see the polls up.

It's weird, just says "nip" with and without add-ons. I'm on a really shitty connection but nothing else is unusual.

If you don't like armor tiers, Xon has you covered. If you don't like double jumps or jumping up stairs, Xon has you covered. If you wish you could rocket jump more, Xon's blaster has you covered. If you hate intentionally long switch times between weapons when firing, Xon takes care of that too. If you like chaining explosives, try out some mortar+devastator combos

If you like LG, slow matches with low scores and slow nades, you will like Xon less. If you like rail balance exactly where it is in QL, you won't like that the Vortex has a charge

My current ranking system for Quake-style AFPS is CPM > Xon > what little Ive played of Warsow > Reflex > QL/VQ3. Reflex used to be higher but it feels kinda awkward now and the rocket dominance is insane (though at least it's being fixed)

Wallbangs require thinner walls/floors and once you learn what spots are safe they won't be as much of an issue

I don't play UT because I hate the movement, but I've heard s lot of complaints about nuUT

I guess he's just too dank

4 players currently on the server.

What do you guys think of this?

I remember we tested an arc like that a while ago, with something like plasma secondary with smilecythe ( stats.xonotic.org/game/613343 heh 190ms ) and it was pretty cool, I wonder what they'll do for knockback though, because there were shaftlifts from under RA on aerowalk through those little holes. I think shaftlifts would be pretty stupid in xon, but I'd like to see more duels with this balancing to know.

We're alive, in a way.

Lots of people are on right now, I think we're going to start up some tdm or ctf. Feel free to join.

PRAISE HIM

5 players on the server right now.

So I decided to try setting up a ladder. Nothing super serious or anything. It's currently technically set up as a "Quake 3" ladder for the expected lack of a Xon option. I'd like to see if we can get these going consistently, to provide people something to work towards for duels

Map selection I think should be voted in. We should probably restrict it to actual duel maps though, rather than having a bunch of giant DM maps in

If anyone has a map they'd like to nominate, post it.

For modes, lets stick with XPM. No powerups and no pacman-ing powerups.

The site I'm using for the ladder does have a signup process, but you can just use a throwaway for registration. I can also invite you via an email address

The site is fraggednation.com

If it doesn't work out then I'll just set up a spare email address and a google doc and you can just post match results in the thread or send them to that email address.

We need this. Voting for pukka toxic

I take that back. My vote goes to Crescent.

fuck it im down, even though ill have super high ping

The idea of the duel ladder season was that we didn't need to get a huge amount of people on at the same time for specific days. And additionally that its flexible enough that whatever duel server can be picked to play comfortably. So as long as you can find a midpoint between you and your opponent, it's not so bad.

obligatory hub/aerowalk nomination

After returning from innawoods, polls seem to work on the same machine. Not as if anyone is going to play on satellite internet but, for whatever reason, poal doesn't like dish network or whatever the hell that ISP was.

fraggednation a shit, google doc it is. Post IGNs and I'll add you to the list. Can't really do much in the way of seeding so I'll just eyeball it and we'll work from there

It's that magical moment when both of the shitposters, that mainly come on the server to chat politics, are on at the same time.

Bump and reporting server activity.

It's over.
The defraggers have won.

Over 20 games of CTS in the past 24 hours (some of which at some stupid hour like 4 am which isn't really a problem) meanwhile DM and Duel get a few daily.

What do we think of this trend?

Maybe have a different server for DM and defrag

does this game even have the player base to support splitting into multiple servers

There already are multiple servers, defrag and dm attract different crowds anyway

dunno about all that

I don't mind if CTS is being played in the middle of the night, and I like playing it when nobody is on, but I'd definitely like to duel/dm during what really ought to be primetime.

I'll second that. CTS can be done with any number of people and at any time of day. For a deathmatch you need a minimum of 2, and while there are certainly people who come online at those weird hours to give you a person to duel with, they're usually the CTS guys who don't feel like dueling anyway. Considering how few NA people outside of the Holla Forums server there are, I'd like to be doing dm/duel stuff come primetime as well.

5 on the server right now. As to be expected Fetus won't play anything other than CTS, but the rest would go likely go with whatever.

What did Holla Forums mean by this

What're you talking about? You spawn with one shotgun.

Currently 5 players on the server.

I suppose the plan would be to come in when you want to play and vote for DM. Though there are right now 3 variants of DM- the server might have to display the number of voters per choice.

I think an ideal is to keep CTS on the server as well- it's easily something to do while there aren't other players on the server.

What's the occasion?

We just need to not let "I don't like rape" and Fetus to ride the CTS train to primetime like last night, and we'll even be able to play some team games.

Speaking of which, a shuffle that works would be great, as would people actually balancing teams and not just gobbling cocks in chat :^)

Checked, but that might not actually be something I can fix or improve upon with just server configs. Likewise I can't really underp the bots other than increase with their difficulty level.

CTS parade is on now.

4 players on the server at the moment.

Got some good late night dms going, feel free to join. There's a whopping 7 people on the server right now.

11 now.

Well shit, i love CTS but DM is great too. I'll try to get on later tonight. I'm probably going to play like ass though

I was playing it and man my aim is god awful. Was practicing solo with bots but the bots aren't very good like like players so it made it too easy.

Well that was fucked lost connection and can't see the server on the list. Why would anyone want to ddos our server? Doing that to a server that has only a handful of people on it is dumb.

We really ought to be more coordinated for this.

I just assumed all the yes votes to continue skipping down a hallway were jumpfags too

Off the top of my head:
Fetus is on a toaster that can't run Xonotic well during action- so he gets a decent frame rate only when jumping. Still he usually hangs around in spectators.
wdkp/wdpk/xunzi (cyan colored ayy lmao) leaves if people feel like playing DM.
The only real jumpfag would be THE WORST but he'd play DM if it comes up on the vote.

An actual DM match going on now.

I'm going to recontinue polling as it seems without it CTS (as it is both the waiting game, and a main game for some) would be played for the entire day (as opposed to DM at least having a designated hour). Open to whatever suggestions to get people together.

If you're on some shitty internet for the time being and can't vote just post what times you'd be getting online.

Aim is only a part of being good at Xonotic and arena shooters in general. If you can move fast and get the item pickups when they come up, you won't need nearly as good of an aim when you get in a fight because you'll have 2x the health that they do.

bump

Jumping in, hoping for some duels.

So the times when people start fragging are currently later than it was before. Cao likes Gasoline and Space Elevator (layout is the same as Gasoline) a bit too much.

Also sorry about the recent inconveniences. The DDoS is still ongoing towards the server, and I'll be doing what I can.

Server right now.

I've been sitting on it too long so I'll post the Google doc and a screenshot (for those who don't want to visit the page itself) when I get home. Please post your username (or the one you'll use for matches) in the thread if you want to be added to the list. The ladder will last through the month of October.

I'd like to get at least 10 people for this initial run.

Also like I said before, I'd like participants to nominate a map. I'll make sure a default map is in there just so people can practice it no matter what, but the other two maps can be whatever. I'll also be shitposting about this on the server

sawa aerowalk :-)

Ladder info is available here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_UT5CfDrPEGf73gF3iqaUVucA7R31Zgh33b7KxbP2QM/edit?usp=sharing

I've also just attached the image and will post tourney updates as images so nobody has to touch google docs if they don't want to

I'll update the ladder (and adjust the number of players) when we finalize the list. I'll also add the maps once we get them finalized. Feel free to suggest up to 3 if you're participating

For the record, Koala is in.

Added him already, and Sawa. Also added the maps they mentioned in Discord. 6 players added so far

Gonna pick mint, zenith, and silentsiege.

Alright. Poll is up.
strawpoll.me/11325827

Let me know if I forgot one of your nominations and I'll fix it. As far as I can tell, everything is there though

I could never get into twitch shooters. Every game I join I get fucking obliterated by people with pinpoint accuracy and that fucking fly around the map like it is nobody's business. Should I just concede that I am a casual or is there a way to git gud?

I can teach you how to be less shit. The movement isn't so hard, and the aim is easier once you learn movement and map positions
Ign is Beemann

Server right now.
Someone voted keyhunt again.

Server will be going offline for maintenance.

Is the server back up yet? I can't check quite right now.

It's back up.

dingus stormkeep

actually, I change my vote to crescent instead of stormkeep

3 players on the server right now.

Both are in the poll already. I'll add your name to the roster. Feel free to select 3 maps in the poll I'd you haven't already

Holy shit we have a banner? Did this happen recently or was I just blind?

It's been around by now. First time I noticed it was about a month ago. It doesn't show up very often.

New poll with a dupe checker because Sawa can't stop sucking dicks

strawpoll.me/11343675

aww shit nigga what the fuck you doing

Server right now.

Also this was when the server just voted deathmatch.

On a more serious note, I'll add some custom mode vote descriptions. Probably regroup the modes (most popular fragging row, team mode row, and then a gimmick row).

It's been around since the 22nd of June 2016. I figured that out by looking at the banner list in banners.8ch.net/list/v and then translating the file name from milliseconds since the Unix epoch to human readable date with epochconverter.com/.

Cool. That's one week after the first Holla Forums server (the French one) went up.

Also TRON PAUL, Bloodied Prince, and Fritz if any of you happen to be reading the thread, today is the last day to sign up for pic. related.
You guys are usually up for whatever.

Also still, all skill levels are welcome. The event is for a whole month so even if you've just downloaded the game, a month is a lot of time to make some progress partway through the ladder.

THE WORST

Add DelusionaryKiller to the list. Check on discord to confirm.

Still not too late to sign up. Right now it is almost 10 pm. 2 hours isn't much, but if you happen to come across it right now and want to join, feel free.

Keep in mind as well that signups are totally open for November.
The plan, overall, is just to have a rolling set of ladders, 1/month. The trick was just getting it off the ground in the first place and testing out the system. All questions/concerns/suggestions are welcome

As well, I'd encourage participants to upload their matches. Doesn't really matter if it's a webm or a youtube video or whatever, it's just nice to have those out there. It's also just good to be checking out your demos to spot mistakes

I don't even know how the guy flew up in the air in that direction.

3 on the server right now. 9-ball, me, and a random.

So the server blows up to this by having two players dueling.

anyone still playing?

My bad

Everything's underway though. The map pool is Aerowalk, Warfare and Mint. While I'd rather any map other than Xon Aero be in there personally, I do like the fact that we have 2 maps from the default Xon map pool, as well as 1 CPM/Q3/QW map, one Xon vanilla map and one Xon custom map.

Feel free to post your challenges in here, or on the discord, or just tell me in-game. I've also been toying with the idea of trying to get an IRC or something set up for people who can't/won't use discord seeing as though nobody uses VoIP anyway. The discord would be totally unnecessary at that point as well

I want to challenge Komier

t:sawa

Fritz here. I fucking missed it, sorry. A lot of work last week, had no time for funposting.

S'all good. I can add you to the roster for November provided you're still free & interested then. Also I'm sure people will want to practice a ton on maps, so even if you aren't directly challenging for ladder spots there should still be people who want to duel

To be fair as well, it was sort of a last minute thing. I tried to start working on it about a week prior, but didn't finalize things until this week. Should have worked more diligently on it.

This is a test run though. I'll try to get a more solid and clear set of rules (including wording) and a larger map pool (5 or 7 instead of 3) for next time. This is my first time trying to organize anything like this

If you like I can randomize it next time. I just figured not having any new players (further down the line) get Owl'd was a good way to go

Airwalk and hub3aeroq3a_nex_r4 (another version of Aerowalk that is supposedly better for Xonotic) is now on the server. There is also r5 and r5 fixes, but I haven't added those yet (not like I can find the nuances that affect gameplay).

Let me know which version is best.

The server was actually full for the first time ever tonight. Holy shit.

Also new maps, apace, astralcity, and aviation have been added as CTF map recommendations.

Is there a description of how a ladder like this works somewhere? Can I challenge anyone of higher rank? Limits on number of pending matches?

Big infux of new players? I've dug this game when I've played it but there just didn't seem to be enough people playing. Are you saying thats changing user?

Sigh.

We have newbie nights. Supposed to be Monday through Wednesday nights, 4-9PM PST.

Still seems to be snowballing. More large matches more days of the week.

So how do I connect with the tilde what do I need to input to get it working?
I'm doing the Source engine thing where it's connect IP: password X if needed. Seems I can but I need some other things and I'm not getting it right.

With a bad enough connection "connect IP" doesn't work (satellite internet) but, if the server is up, it works fine. The gotcha for me is that when I first open the console, there is always a ' at the beginning of my input so I have to remember to backspace.

Some of our newer players had played few, if any, shooters before. Doesn't take super long to adapt, so long as you're not solely picking up bad habits

I'll be on tonight, so if anyone needs help with something, just ask

t. Beemann

You could just check the server browser and only select servers with players, usually the Holla Forums server is there

Sometimes it's useful. Just a few days ago command line worked for connection when the browser wouldn't show the Holla Forums server, regardless of the full/empty boxes. Everything but the gameplay itself is buggy fairly often and server config still seems to be changing often so the console is a nice way to poke around and get things working.

Where the fuck do I go for the finish? Why is everything black?

Indicate when you'll be coming online (for Deathmatch and other game modes).

Friday, October 7th
poal.me/do4poh

Saturday, October 8th
poal.me/5dsjp7

Sunday, October 9th
poal.me/m00jmv

We have broken the cycle of CTS and the defragger goes on a rampage. 8 players on the server at the moment.

Something must've fucked with the map loading. It should be mostly… well, blue.

AWAKEN MY MASTERS!

I understand now how you made that money

You sure are a pro on Monopoly.

Oh Thailand..

6 players on the server right now. Deathmatch is up next.

post music to frag scrubs to gamers

Also here's the updated ladder info

post yfw

unofficial theme song of the great dells duel

Would you please vote on my poll?

your poll is gay and retarded
voted

Crywank is neat.

Server right now.

That's how servers work

Feed me dewls

Throwing down the gauntlet and challenging mini to a duel before the thread gets bumplocked t. 9-ball

This is Killing Floor General, right?

Fuck off you pinko

Kill urself, my man.

Caffeine and real warmups will be had. I'm ready.

Hey ladder organizers, how many can I challenge at one time? We're running out of October.

Challenge away, as long as you have time to fulfill all of those challenges
If things get egregious we could have some sort of rest period before you can challenge the same person again

Oh hey! I didn't know that Holla Forums was running a server, I played on it lol.

I still play nexuiz sometimes and I heard that Xonotic will somehow shutdown Nexuiz?

the only thing Xonotic is shutting down is the ability to use Xonotic's server browser to find Nexuiz matches. Nothing stops anyone from using the Nexuiz client to find Nexuiz matches, but the Xonotic devs cannot legally support Nexuiz

Server activity right now.

Nevermind, apparently the other two challenges were resolved. Doc updated

That's uh, some activity right there.

wew

Here are the demos from 9-Ball's duel vs mini (9-Ball POV).

I don't really know how to cut the 10 minutes of warmup in between the actual duels themselves so you'll just have to bear with it.

Aero: mega.nz/#!CMwXXZKZ!igVjyPAK00B9S2mf2Eib1yVHP4iIzAfiT75XTcqJpuM

Mint: mega.nz/#!jVgwTQjY!Z16AnoZWscbhVliE6SB6Sx-mMorbDFyNr9B_KYnCSJw

Warfare: mega.nz/#!yFpVzDpL!FlSuYuMwsJt0hwATgxrxgAuTeF0HINjj1HFbA85i4iU

yall wanted some of the old high skill duels

Hey thanks, these are great. Awesome map knowledge and timing throughout. Studying up.

casualshit tbh

Is it coincidence that the most exciting game is on Aerowalk? ;)

The nicknames being seen like that might be from the spectator view.

Can confirm that's from spectator view.

Full duel here

I forgot to mention this before, but Smilecythe physics are on the server for XPM modes.

Enable:
vcall +smile-physics

Disable:
vcall -smile-physics

It will not be carried over to the next match.
It can be its own mode vote option on the gametype vote menu. Right now I think there's a shit ton of options already, and it may be best to replace something like Key Hunt with it.

The limited times I've played with it. I figured it'd be a nice idea for CTF considering how huge the maps can be and how little there is to do after leaping from some launch pads.

newfag here, joining the server
p-pls no bully

Anyone has considered to try 2v2 ladder instead of duel next month?

Why is Space Elevator/Gasoline so popular?

Think it'd be cool to get some team games going. Not sure if it'll be an "instead of" case as it could be an "along side" thing.

Free, both gratis and libre, arena shooter.
xonotic.org/

Events

Weekend Schedule Polling
Polls linked in posts with the subject "Schedule Polls".
Vote and indicate when you're available to play.
Polling occurs per Wednesday.

Duel Ladder
One on one match on specific maps chosen through a voting process.
Rules and standards may vary per event. Currently a per month event.
October Maps: Aerowalk, Mint, Warfare

Holla Forums Xonotic Server (NA Pacific, 0.8.1) Status
Custom vote options:+/- duel (available on Deathmatch game modes only)+/- smile-physics (available on XPM game modes only)

Newbie Guide:

Schedule Polling Template
p.teknik.io/Z2a4y

Previous thread:
archive.is/lEAgE

If you're currently playing (early), announce in the thread so thread lurkers know when to join.

Here's the text file in case I'm not around to recreate the thread when it hits page 13 or 404's.

u.teknik.io/EBt0B.txt

can xonotic fags vote on this? you need to have an epic account
issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-18641
It's a really annoying bug on unreal engine 4 that causes an issue on the linux build of unreal tournament 4 where you constantly have a huge placeholder texture around the borders of your screen, because of an arbritrary limitation by uninformed developers (it might also cause issues on other games but almost nothing came out on ue4 and the game's developers can just work around it). Example in pic related
Due to nobody being directed to the proper channels to express themselves it wasn't given much attention and is at "we will only fix it if everything else is fixed" priority

Yeah I'd also be all for an alongside thing. Duels are easier to do on the fly though, and don't have as many scheduling issues. If you're interested in organizing a ladder for another mode, all it takes is posting about it and having a spreadsheet somewhere that you update. I'd recommend having a larger span of time to plan than I gave it though. Like if you wanted one for Nov I'd start right now re: finding participants, setting rules, getting nominations

Speaking of which, please feel free to put your name and nomination forward for Nov. We're going to up the map count to 7. Feel free to suggest up to 3 maps.

For those who haven't used a 7 map pool before, the match will still be a best of 3, but you'll choose to drop maps so they can't be chosen. If there's a map on the list that you hate, you can choose to never play it

New thread