Is there a single modern game thats as "next gen" as Shenmue...

Is there a single modern game thats as "next gen" as Shenmue? Even now just emulating it I'm impressed at the level of detail and how interactable the environments are, the time mechanics, this honestly gives the Yakuza games a run for their money, I'm surprised it never caught on or was re-released like what apparently was meant to happen in 2012

Is there any game that produces as many feels as Shenmue?
The whole thing, even with how whacky it is, has such a subdued and sentimental vibe to it.

With Shenmue 3 being the fastest Kickstartered game, getting massive amounts of hype and whatnot, I'll be genuinely surprised if a re-release doesn't happen.
SEGA and Microsoft would be fucking stupid not to capitalize on this right now.

I guess it's thanks to the cheesy voice acting or the incredible soundtrack, or the intimate setting.

That just makes me wonder, why haven't they? It took them years to bring over Yakuza 3, but apparently asking anything from them that isn't Sonic related is too much.

I've heard that Dreamcast emulators have a big problem with disc switching for some games. Does this effect Shenmue?

I'm thinking they're waiting a bit longer, to get the rerelease out closer to S3's release. That game is still minimum 2 years out, so there's no real reason to put out the game now when its going to be fairly silent for a while.

Speaking of Shenmue 3, have they even spoke up on it, or are they just being silent developing the game for now?

They've periodically been doing small updates, generally regarding the scripts and early development stuff.

It's being worked on, but nothing major has been shown off since the start

They've been doing one update a month on their kickstarter page. Not a whole lot of actual development talk, but at least talking a bit about what's going on. Last update was about getting the first's game director back.

No, the biggest problem is graphical corruption. Also, a song doesn't play at a poignant moment which ruins a scene.

Good thing they're silent and actually working unlike some faggot devs who are acting like they're professionals when in reality they're scammers and attention whores, this especially is right about most of Kikestarter developers. Maybe there is a hope for the game to be actually good.

What blows my mind is how ever individual person and hell, even animals, have their own schedules, that even include things like weekends and holidays. No modern game has even TRIED that, at least no one I'm aware of. The Yakuza games are fantastic but even they don't go to that level of detail. Shenmue was open world before it became a lazy excuse for copy pasted action set pieces.

Does the PAL version of Shenmue 2 have the option for 60fps? or does the Japanese version at least have english subtitles? Fucking Microsoft getting exclusive rights for Shenmue 2 in the states, goddamnit.

They have a lot of the original team back, which is the main thing giving me hope. They seem to actually care about delivering the sequel, even though its 10 years later.
And silence isn't necessarily a good thing from Kickstarter devs, I backed a project that was supposed to be released in February 2015, didn't hear from the developers about it being late until August, and that was only in a comment left on their page. They still have only released one official update since. And I'm not any more comfortable with it just because they're not talking to us.

Shenmue 2 runs fine on my tv through my us dreamcast (after a disc swap), but it goes through VGA. Not sure how it acts over composite.

That's what happens when you love to make something. Today devs don't care and most of them are just untalented jokes, they can't deal with simple lighting and you want them to make good AI or more details in their games? It also helped that Dreamcast had very powerful hardware. Honestly Dreamcast is the only console I would buy just for this one game. It was really worth it for its exclusives unlike every Sony console.

Well, I'm fine with them not talking because I know that they have original devs. Besides, Shenmue 3 received big attention, if they disappeared it would damage them even heavily than Inafune, people would notice if they pulled this crap. It would worry me if they started to make countless interviews with building insane hype and promising another Star Citizen-like game or second coming of Jesus Christ. Instead the guys are just working and don't make broken promises, less chances the game will be delayed countless times either. The other project you backed could be done by some nobody who can easily be another hack. Or was it similar to Shenmue 3?

I hope they didn't lose their talent though because when I think of Shenmue 1/2 I legit do care more about this Kikestarter, never cared about other Kikestarters before, not even about System Shock Reboot which showed a lot of red flags, although I never planned to back either. Will never do no matter what project is going to be there.

Yeah, but at the same time they really don't need to do interviews to generate hype. Its already Shenmue 3, which is right between sought after and a meme. It was basically the Japanese Half Life 3 for a while. And they announced it at Sony's E3 conference, which was plenty to get it hyped. Was what helped it shatter Kickstarter records.
I do feel like they're going to do their best to deliver what they want to deliver, but I don't think them being silent is necessarily "good".

I'd say if I had to chose 2 games that set the precedent that all modern AAA trash now follow, it would be
1.) Shenmue

2.) Half-Life 1

A lot of people love-hate these games for this reason. They were revolutionary, but at what cost? A bunch of in-game narrative cut-scenes and generic ope world mundane interactivity because "MUH IMMERSION!"

How about handheld systems? If this thing didn't fail hard, the mobile games industry wouldn't be so laughably bad.

The modern open world game doesn't emulate Shenmue though, it emulates Daggerfall and Morrowind: as big as a continent, as deep as a single drop of water.

You've never played either of these games have you?

It did popularize QTEs, though.

It didn't popularize it, QTE didn't became frequent until several years after Shenmue. The game isn't filled with QTE, some QTE on animations isn't really a problem, having a QTE final boss or a game that is only QTE is a problem.

Pretty funny joke.

Demul plays it just fine. Even things like the shadows render properly, and disc switching works. There's some occasional chugging, but it's not bad. Even the arcade games boot up and are playable, something that would crash the game if played in NullDC.

I think it might have something to do with the audio (the Dreamcast versions had really compressed sound for the voices, and the only high fidelity audio exists in parts in Shenmue: The Movie and the Xbox versions of 2, and that's only for the English audio), and a bunch of other assets they need to find. There was also loads of product placement in the game, which they removed for the American game, but kept some of (the Timex watch for example). They would have to renegotiate those rights again.

Shenmue at least keeps it QTEs relegated to cutscenes as a way to keep players on their toes and not put the controller down when watching a cutscene. That's not as cancerous nowadays where lazy developers substitute entire chunks of gameplay with timed button press bullshit when more emerging complicated mechanics would've worked better.

Metal Gear Solid did the cutscene thing long before Shenmue

QTE cancer started with fucking god of war

That shit was "press X to win" every fucking second and sold a fucking ton of copies in PS2