Few Or No Good Zombie Games

Why is it that even with the glut of zombie videogames these past couple of years, so few "zombie games" are actually good zombie games? They can be good games, but not good zombie games. For example, L4D2 is very fun but I think Valve just made them "Infected" because they knew how divergent their game was.

To me a good zombie game would have all the elements you see in the movies. Survival (horror) elements like keeping track of ammunition, barricading, etc. Instead we mostly have shit like tower defense or extremely arcadey FPS zombie games.

DayZ comes to mind as being a game that really tried to emulate the elements of what makes zombies so appealing, but now the standalone is stuck in eternal alpha.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!UhtSTA5S!u9hAjGsOFetjRWPDjsmgmg
ulmf.org/bbs/showthread.php?t=26449
g.e-hentai.org/g/830721/170029a552/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

cuz zombies have completely run their course, even normalfags are starting to get sick of them

to make a really good "classic' zombie game you'd need to be far more restrictive on the player. think resident evil pre-4, where you have a limited line of sight and no direct control over your aim

the spook factor of zombies is long gone as well since everyone and their mom knows that you just need to shoot them in the head

They were rarely if ever executed properly though.

Everyone has known that since zombie movies were a thing.

Dying light is the best zombie game I've played personally. I am still playing the DLC now. I've spent close to 10hs in it and I am no where to be done.

Because zombies are almost always used as a shortcut.

They are very easy to design visually, and you don't need to program them with much AI.

And in general, if a game company is purposefully taking shortcuts then the end product just isn't going to be that good.

Most of the times zombie AI is better than human AI.

I don't think it's really better as much as it is the slower zombies get like 10x as many computer cycles to run through what they can do.

You have to get out of the mainstream, OP-kun. Look past the shill stuff.

Here's something to get into: Survival Crisis Z. Its author tried to erase it from the internet.
mega.nz/#F!UhtSTA5S!u9hAjGsOFetjRWPDjsmgmg

There is ONE good zombie game.

And they likely never will be, because good games with zombies in them aren't good because of the zombies. They make good low-level enemies, but if you don't has some kind of higher stage to progress towards then you're left with a glorified haunted house.

they didn't run their course. all we ever got was abandoned early access shit.
Also, zumbies aren't about being hard to kill or spook factor. The point is that they are shit, and easy to kill speedy nuzombies can fuck off, and can still represent a long term threat.

Dead Space came close, but even then most ghouls were too easy to kill.

Dead rising for the pc soon

I can go back and play that whenever I want though

Oh you already played it, well then

Now you know
Now you know

>no zombie game where you can hold hands with your zombie waifu
Sometimes it hurts.

I had a lot of fun with State of Decay and its QJMS mod.

are there any other decent zombie games where you can be the zombie and turn other people into zombies?

Personally, i'm hoping we run out of this zombie era and start moving into an era of ghosts.

That's because most zombie games don't actually prominently feature zombies. 99% of them are just deathmatch with item progression.

I want this

But that's spooky user!

I hope an actual zombie virus gets released so we could get to play it on our real lives on hardcore difficulty

Well they'd all be killed by zombies so it'd really be a self-correcting issue

I don't see BLM getting self-corrected even though they're the exact same shit.

Even dumb ass, overweight, rainbow-haired tumblr protestors are more physically threatening than fucking zombies.

I knew exactly where the thread would be going when this post happened.

Jokes on you, it was released a long time ago.

I recognize that fat zombie

You know you just described the plot to all the Dead Rising games after the original.

Because AAA is Hollywood 2.0 and as Hollywood 2.0 they didn't bother to make GOOD zombie games. They just saw market trends of zombies being the hip thing of 2010-2013 and pumped games out as fast as they could. Making shitty cashgrabs that in a hilarious stroke of irony also sped up people getting tired of the zombies in general

Project Zomboid anyone? No?

user I don't think zombies give a shit about housing

That's not a good game, you know.

Project Zomboid was pretty fucking great.

my life truly is suffering. The only zombie games I loved were Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead.

Have you tried dying light?

Would a videogame based on this RPG be good? I think a tactical RPG would fit perfectly.

I remember before the playstation 3 was a thing or even before Stubbs was a thing there was a game at work about a zombie leader controlling an horde of zombies that was a mixture of strategy game and action game, almost like Sacrifice.

Tried it in the very early modes. Do the story of the wounded wife continue?

Also, the only good early access survival game is also a good example of a zombie game: 7 days to die.

Fucking stop

It's a great game but the leveling system is really bad.

What is it?

I liked it, though I like any system that makes you better at something the more you do it.
My only complaint is some stuff like the curb stomp is way too useful for how low on the tree it is

Yes and it was pretty boring once you got used to the gimmick.
The open world genre has never spawned a good game.

I think a men of war zombie mod could be fun as fuck, since all units have an inventory system. There wouldn't be any base/barricade building, but you could at least place them on the map in advance.

Here's a quick rundown of PZ's dev cycle :

Tried to format the text a bit to make it readable.
Granted, while doing the animations a couple of interesting feature were finished too (nature taking back towns with grass growing and slowly creeping on houses and roads, TV&Radio) but then again this originated from the devs getting sidetracked. I think the game has a lot of potential but the dev team needs to pull through and make it happen.
Also I remember something about the dev studio getting flooded but maybe this is about another game.
Hopefully this has helped you catch up.

That fat zombie. Is that from Doom 3?

If you play in that new nightmare mode or whatever, all your special moves cost stamina, which mixes up the game nicely. The problem is, it also makes even the regular zombies insane bullet sponges. I counted - it took me SIX hits with the most upgraded weapon at level 25 (over 3k damage, if I remember correctly) to decapitate a regular zombie. That's not fun. That's tedious.

thanks m8

I pirated that game recently and it was fun at first but it felt so empty like there was no reason to do anything, I thought it was finished. Hopefully they get their shit together and actually add NPCs and all that other stuff you mentioned

There will never be any reason to do anything sadly. The philosophy of the game is "this is the story of how you died", the devs vehemently rejected anything that alluded to an escape, a cure or anything that resembled an endgame.

If you're looking for a finished survival game with an end game I strongly recommend Neo Scavenger. It's very barebones in its presentation but it has pretty advanced survival mechanics and you can learn the story at your own pace or just screw around in sandbox forever. It doesn't have zombies though. Give it a pirate if you're interested, the price is a bit high right now.

You know: you can have a good apocalyptic game without zombies. A severe shortage of gasoline would be bad enough and, if that's too boring for you, try going for mythologies like the Prose Edda or the Book of Revelation.

Well the point of PZ is just surviving I guess. It can get pretty tense as zombies ,although slow and dumb, are a real threat in the game ever since they introduced endurance and changed the combat system early on like you said in

However as things are right now there's a few problems, mainly the UI which I think is very clunky but you can get used to it after an dozen hours of gameplay. Some stuff is also left to the player to discover which is in my opinion a good thing but makes the first few playthroughs very short as you will die very easily. Depending on what they intend to do with Baldspot and Katie (either make it a campaign or a sort of tutorial) this may get fixed in the future.
There's also the fact that combat is very unenjoyable but that may change once they introduce new animations, I just hope they don't fuck up the balance.

Also the game is very easily modded so it is possible to make the game somewhat play as you'd want but it doesn't mean that the base game doesn't have to be good. In my opinion it's on the right track but I'm still being weary.

There's The Long Dark which is mainly surviving in the cold, it's still in early access though. I haven't tried it so I don't know if it's any good.

He ain't my boy but the brother is heavy.

My 360 died not long ago so I'm happy it's getting a port, it's been a while since I played it and I kinda forgot what a good Dead Rising game feels like.

Fucking REC dropped the ball so hard.

I've had some fun with 7 Days to Die but I won't even pretend that it's a good game - more of a time waster really.

The only good zombie game I ever played was the Quarantine scripted map for Arma 1. You play co-operative as the military trying to regain control of the island. There are zombies and rebels you have to deal with, and civilians you have to save. You get money by completing the random missions that pop up on the map and killing zombies.

It really felt like a true zombie game from the military's perspective (rather than some random asshole survivor). It's a shame it never got ported over to the other Arma games.

So now Zombies have run their course, what's the next big craze going to be? Ayy lmaos or Dinosaurs?

Dinosaurs

Nazis XD

survivalist is the only good zombie game I've ever played. Not that I've played many.

There are very few good zombie games (or movies, etc.) because corporate executives are now aware that zombies are a "thing" in pop culture. This means that most zombie-themed products have that theme because of corporate higher-ups' decision, and not because they want to use that theme or have anything interesting to say or do with it.

Dying Light would god tier if it was harder

I too feel like zombies have a lot of potential for vidya but its never been executed well.
One game that's close to what me and the OP seem to be after would be State of Decay.
It has scavenging, survival (your character will get tired over time and their maximum stamina will be reduced, taking too much damage will leave you with wounds that bring down your maximum health), barricading, an impressive variety of weapons, and (limited) base customization and building.
Although it has its flaws, its the only zombie game that's come close to realizing the potential of the genre.

Honestly, the potential of zombies hasn't even been reached in TV or film. The only good zombie movie imo is Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Modern Dawn of the Dead was pure shit, sorry to tell you user. Fast zombies are shit and lazy writting, 28 days later was the only movie who did the infected thing well.

Your opinion is shit, sorry to tell you user.
Fast zombies are the only way to make zombies a realistic threat. Shambling zombies are just comical, and any movie that tries treating them as a serious threat comes off as ridiculous.

How so? I liked that twist. There was an entire movie dedicated to them just being infected, give demon-zombies a chance.

You'd know this is false if you'd read World War Z.
The movie version was cancer though.

The devs patched the original State of Decay game to be unplayable in order to push the full priced remaster.

Dead Rising handled slow zombies really well by making them gigantic hordes that you have to cut swathes through to navigate well.

Now you exposed yourself as not understanding the zombie genre. Have you seen any of the classic movies? or just play Dead Rising.

Ironically the thread in a zombie apocalypse isn't really the zombies but other humans. A human could be bitten and not turn instantly, managing to get in a big group and try to get in hoping for safety then turn into a zombie and spread the infection. Besides, destroying the brain is much harder than the movies show, specially when the spot that drives all the body functions is well hidden.

Let's not talk about the World War Z movie. I'm still laughing out of anger.

Fuck, I meant to quote>>10557816

Bully me.

If you are going to argue for realism then you can't really consider slow zombies to be a threat. If someone starts slowly moving to people in order to bite them, then you can most certainly bet it would reach the news in less than a week and an infection disease would reach the news in days.

think dinosaurs had it's course already

State of Decay is bullshit more mechanically if anything is my biggest issue with it. I hate RPG stats in this crap so much, I hate how weapons break as if they were made of paper and I struck boulders all day. The quest system was bollocks, special zombies were entirely scripted encounters so I can't maneuver for shit as I just get grabbed.
Mechanically it's a piece of shit that felt all over the place for me. I mean hiding guns from me is one thing but busting an entirely metal axe as if it were nothing?

The problem is not that a person start to move slowly towards someone, but that the infection had spread much before than anyone could even see or expect. Blood transfusions, organ transplants, bites from a 'crazy hobo'. When zombies start to appear they don't come alone, they come from everywhere and by surprise because noone knows what the fuck is going on.

Even if there was an incubation period of half a year, there would still be a lot of populations completely unaffected, in fact there would still even be entire countries without a single infected person. And once the first three or four reported cases there would be a lot of preparation internationally in advance for it, both by the government and people themselves. It would certainly have a massive impact on the economy and thus the government's ability to respond but the hysteria alone could ensure that it wouldn't reach the level shown in movies, people don't tend to joke around when they think something might kill them and bad news tends to spread pretty damn fast. So even if the disease is completely undetectable by scientific analysis, is still wouldn't result in most of the population just suddenly being zombies.

I think the whole zombie craze started dying down when that shitty valentine's day movie came out.
You know, "Warm Bodies".
Fuck that stupid movie.

zombies are humans too!!!

But when the zombies start to appear they don't know what the hell is going on. Besides, when the zombies start to appear you can swear a carrier would be among an evacuation group, going to one of the countries without former infected. Also, as I said before, the biggest risk in a zombie apocalypse isn't zombies but actual people. Do you think everyone will act racionally if they see the dead rise? first the most religious ones would start riots or even killing themselves, riots would happen in all mayor cities and would force countries to split resources between dealing with the angry and scared population and the undead.

That if we don't count using them as weapon and dropping the undead in the middle of the desert and start infecting muslims, or poisoning whole water deposits with undead juices.

Have you read World War Z? the book, not the movie. It tells you how a zombie apocalypse with slow zombies can be debastating.

Fuck you, you CURE zombie apologist!

You laugh at damn zombies dying by your shitty US weapon. But in reality you are the zombie, who is destined to die for israel or in any other shitty war.

People who find entertainment in killing sick and infected people will eventually become same shit they are killing in virtual reality. If you like zombie games you will eventually become zombie yourself.

mah nigga, preach!

There are plenty of diseases that make animals aggressive, it wouldn't really take long for people to notice what is going on once humans start acting like rabid dogs.
And there would be raised security, police would be far more inclined to simply shoot someone attacking another person, individuals would avoid going into large crowds along with avoiding going outside at night (assuming they wouldn't simply enforce a mandatory curfew) and the military would most likely do regular patrols in inhabited areas looking for zombies to kill.
In terms of helping others, obviously not. But when it comes to their own self-interest they would definitely take suitable precautions to ensure their own survival.
You sure you even know what you are talking about? I know the religious would definitely become way more active but thinking they would do suicide is absolutely retarded
You mean the thing where having AIDS makes you magically invisible?

Not him (and to be honest the book mostly focuses on the "after shit has hit the fan" part rather than the "why shit hits the fan") but the film and book are completely different, for example zombies don't discriminate depending on health, don't run and don't form human pyramids to climb walls.

From what I can remember of the book, the excuse for zombies suddenly becoming a massive thing is 1) at first no-one believes zombies are real so early reports get discarded as nonsense. For some reason various governments (especially China) help this out by covering up any outbreaks that occour, 2) Some black market organs come from infected donors I don't know why, blame China probably. Said organs then infect their new hosts, allowing people to randomly get infected without any apparent reason. At the same time refugees who have been infected flee to the West in the hopes someone has a random miracle cure sitting around. Some of the people that turn in poor cities cause mini-hordes that are mistaken for riots. 3) Some big American company starts shilling a miracle cure that stops you getting infected after zombies become publicly accepted, it's actually a placebo but panicking people mass buy it and then start ignoring the zombie threat. Then it turns out the medicine does fuck all and the US army completely fucks up fighting a horde of zombies because they're literally retarded. The two factors causes the (American) populace to freak out and run to Canada to freeze to death/ get eaten along the way. Meanwhile the rest of the world goes through similar shit. Except for Israel which took the zombies seriously from the start and quarantined itself… And for some reason allowed the entire population of Palestine (including refugees/emmigrants in other countries) to also be sheltered within their walled state, this kicks off a civil war between racist/non-racist Jews or some shit whihc is only briefly mentioned, I guess it's what the Israelis do instead of fight zombies.

To be honest as you might of noticed it still has a bunch of holes as to how the zombies apparently manage to suddenly reach the critical mass of "actually a threat against an organised military" and relies on a bunch of big powerful organisations making massive mistakes just to intensify the situation (from what I recall Iran and Pakistan start a small-scale nuclear war just as things go bad). The book has some interesting ideas (cruise ships full of refugee zombies, floating refugee cities, close-quarters zombie clearance in the Parisian catacombs in pitch darkness, a pilot forced to eject over zombie territory forced to find her way to a safe zone with a broken leg) but most things get like a chapter each with little development. I'd say you could probably make it into a decent tabletop RPG setting and it's an interesting read but it certainly doesn't manage to give a satisfying answer for just how a zombie horde initially forms.

I'd say a good leveling system is one that makes your bag of tricks bigger, or at least offers a change in how the game is played..

Being able to kill things a little faster now? Boring.
Being able to drop kick a zombo off a roof and onto a bed of spikes? FUCKING HELL YES

I've got nothing against the skill system, it's just the progression that I found quite boring. It takes ages to level up unless you only play during night time.
I only started to enjoy the game once I unlocked the gappling hook.

There isn't nearly enough Dinosaur games, we need a remake of Dino Crisis. It was Resident Evil with Dinosaurs. Why has nobody replicated this?

because ugh, it's so outdated

Are you saying that's why nobody has done it or is that your reason it shouldn't be done?

the former

There's at least one or two you can in this game and it's sequel:

ulmf.org/bbs/showthread.php?t=26449

g.e-hentai.org/g/830721/170029a552/

You're gonna need a text hooker and machine translator to understand what's going on though if you don't know moon yet.

pull your fucking pants up. jesus christ

Zombies are shit therefore games centered around them are shit
Stalker zombies are pretty cool though, they even try to use binoculars without actually having binoculars

I remember being so hyped when that finally got ported to PC.

i could play it user. i like that game but damn it I get bored to stay without NPC
How can we user?

IIRC the military wanted to show off using hyper weapons that could kill a termite at 5km or self firing drones etc etc but was not effective with something that needed a headshot

That's the same shit Dead Island suffered from.

Fighting against zombies felt like those nightmares where your punches do no damage and your body is like syrup. One would think in theory that makes for a great horror game, but it's just tedious and feels like work to play.

I guess the ideas behind it would be to make an individual zombie pose more of a threat, the polar opposite to a game like Left 4 Dead where you can mow down a whole gang of zombies with bullets. The problem is, neither of those games hit the sweet spot for any of what they tried to achieve.

Zombie games suck cos no one understands how to make zombies a compelling monster.

Take a minute to think about what a zombie is for a second:
i.e Homo homini lupus incarnate. That's all.

All good zombie stories are about people fucking each other over, zombies are just an analogue for how people lose their humanity.
Make zombie games that are about human drama, maybe not telltale shit but the walking dead games we're well received for a reason.
Or make multiplayer games like DayZ where humans fucking each other over is inevitable regardless because people are just dicks.

All zombies need to be are a constant background danger that forces conflict between humans.
Any real threat to the player should come from other human players/NPCs.

Also no fucking mutant types; no exploders, no runners, no acid-spitters, no /fit/izens etc. Shit is lame.

This. The regular zombies in Left 4 Dead served only to slow the player down to make them more vulnerable to the special infected.

So they were just useless cannonfodder and were in and of themselves pretty much harmless. Take out the special infected and what are you left with? No game whatsoever.

That's why the zombies had to be buffed so much in Dead Island and Dying Light, to make them any sort of challenge. But that failed and the gameplay became tedious. Resident Evil relies on all sorts of weird mutations to generate excitement and challenge.

State of Decay was pretty fun. Havent tried the xpacs though

What about No More Room In Hell?

Stuff like that would be godlike if centered about a single player (mp as an extra) campaign with quests, basic survival needs and an open world map.

Else a concept like "escape from the city" where you load a single large map and you have to leave the urban area, where every building is explorable and detailed, stuff doesn't always spawn in the same places, you have quite a lot of routes to chose from depending on the circumstances, and it takes quite some time and planning before taking action, making the escape last at least 4 hours if performed without unexpected surprises that force you to change or modify the route (like a roadblock, zombie migration etc..), changing this number to 7-8.
bonus for day/night cycle
bonus for barricading using scavenged tools and materials or using the game's engine itself like in "zombie master"
bonus for vehicular escape route, requiring fuel, and repairs scavanged around the city

We need a game where zombies are an actual threat or obstacle instead of monsters you could replace with anything else melee based. I think the old CS:S mods had it right where if you saw one zombie it was smarter to avoid it, especially back when servers didn't use infinite ammo settings.

Trying to keep a barricade together was intense when you knew they had a long reach and it only took one hit to get infected.

I also feel like setting and atmosphere is almost never done right. The most interesting part of any zombie story is the immediate outbreak, where no one's quite sure what's going on yet, and I've never seen a game based on that. Makes it scarier if there's that air of mystery and panic, crowds being hectic enough its hard to tell who's infected or not.

Jared Leto Joker is edgier than I thought

You know I was thinking about this, and Vampires are pretty close to zombies. They're undead and spread their "condition" through biting.

They just aren't brainless and don't rot, and have superhuman traits.

I'd be down to play a bit whenever the anim update is released but it's probably still a month or two away.
Did they fix zombies sometimes getting knocked back forever when hit in coop ?

Come on, niggers. Also, since when are zombies scary? I used to fear them when I was younger, but there's no way an scenario with zombies wouldn't be fun.

Does anyone still play Zombie Panic Source?

Dead Rising 1

Sacrifice is one of the best games ever made

Nice it's 50% off

There's zombie master for that on source, if you can find players.

I played State of Decay and thought it was fun, just rough and unpolished. Apparently they really fucked it up on PC, and if they got that greedy I can't imagine SoD 2 being good.

However, it did exactly what you're thinking of. You had to keep track of ammo (although it sucked that bullets basically came in bags, and there were no magazines, just stacks of 30 rounds), you could barricade up windows to keep zombies out, etc. And looting the small rural areas was pretty comfy.

People in real life are retarded. Goverments are poor, retarded and incompetent. See how the global response to Zika was?

If there's 6 months of incubation with no symptoms, the world's fucked.

It would be pretty dank if they let the player nuke the fucking city. Ie you build yourself up to run into a nuclear power plant just to turn it on for electricity or to fuck up the city. Same could be said if there were a dam.

I guess this could be something interesting but it's never gonna happen because the devs are pretty uptight on realism and a regular joe manning a power plant/dam isn't something really doable.
Although they go for realism only when they feel like it, for example the game is based in Kentucky but they refuse to add weapon variety and weapons are pretty scarce.