TF2 thread

So is it worth going back to TF2? I dropped out after the Mann vs Machince update due to moving, and lack of interest anymore.

I'm bored as hell with everything, and don't think my computer can run Overwatch.

Is it any amount of fun anymore?
Are there any need to have weapons?
How is class balance?
Know any good servers?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamebanana.com/maps/107794
gamebanana.com/maps/104304
wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Item_drop_system
steamcommunity.com/groups/8chTF2C#
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Heavy > Scout

Fuck me, time passes. If desperately seeking fun in ruined games like you don't have an infinite source of video entertainment in your hands is your thing, go right ahead.

Boy you're in for a treat, if you thought that after the F2P update they can't possibly fuck up TF2 more then you are wrong
I still play it since it's a good place to mine salt with all the kiddies inside it and i won't play Overwatch

Oh and MvM mode was never updated anymore by Volvo ever since that Two-cities update, which is like 3 years ago iirc. What a shame and yet another good gamemode that Valve ignored

Hasn't been appreciably updated since then, some things got worse and a couple things got better. Haven't tried Pass Time mode and matchmaking is a fucking joke for everyone involved because there's no ELO.

All that's really happened since then is Pyro airblasts that extinguish teammates now heal you a bit so shitters remember you can do so, Pyro's flamethrower now whittles away ubercharge stored up by Medics through dealt fire damage, laser weapons got their shit fucked up and deal bullet-type damage so Vaccinator Medics can still laugh in your fucking face with near-invulnerability at all times, Righteous Bison no longer deals multiple penetrative hits (Valve claimed it was a bug even though it was what kept it as a viable shotgun sidegrade), Medic's Quick-Fix ability of mimicking a faster teammate's speed while healing them is now core to the class (you can't follow along for bomb-jumps unless you're using QF though), Spy moves a bit faster, and the Heavy v. Pyro war was a foregone conclusion for Pyro just like Soldier v. Demo was.

Oh, also the Ullapool Caber was nerfed into total uselessness (comp Demos were using it to divebomb Medics and other ultra-high priority targets, apparently nobody in competitive play learned to shoot the Demo out of the sky or kill him after he'd been sent into the air by his caber). Good night, sweet Caber.

It's still there if you find a good community server. They killed the valve official servers in favor of a shitty matchmaking system, which consists of a convoluted comp mode and a casual mode full of faggots who won't play the objective.
There's also Fortress Forever if you feel like something closer to QTF. People mostly play on Boneyard and Moto's Funhouse. Depending on when you're on the game may be entirely dead, just keep an eye out.

i liked the trailer aesthetic better

fixed

With how many high-league competitive Snipers are aimbotting (even if subtly so) that's more accurate than you think, more and more comp names keep popping up with the new monthly VAC waves.

Pyro
All Flamethrowers
Added: Direct damage reduces Medi Gun healing and resist shield effects by 25%
Medics hear a "healing interrupted" sound when this is happening to their heal target

It doesn't affect ubercharge directly.

You could just play Overwatch which is the better game now.

Got it mixed up then, thought it had an uber-draining Pomson effect instead of just making it harder to heal.

Yes
No, but you get them for free anyway and if you have anything in particular you "need" you can "rent" it from the mannco store for 24 hours.
Soldier and demo are still pretty brokenly good, but it kind of evens out with most demo and soldier mains being pants on head retarded
Unfortunately the one I really and truely like is down for now since the host had to move and can't get the funds to put it back up.

Pyro is going to get new weapons and balance at some point in the future and because of all the bitching so is heavy at some point after that.

And this may be confirmation bias, but it appears that selecting "try it out" in the mann co store makes it more likely for you to get that item.

Likely confirmation bias. It's insanely easy to get your hands on the weapons you don't have anyways, be it through trading or crafting them yourself (scrap.tf and similar automated trade sites make the former an absolute snap, especially since you can trade spares at a 1:1 rate and trade extras for stuff you don't have). Rarest stuff to get through crafting is e-peen reskins of stock like the new Prinny Knife or the Sharp Dresser.

If you play fun classes, sure.
Hardly. Most of the new weapons suck hot shit.
Scout and Pyro are pretty much useless these days as far as I can tell.
There aren't as many good servers around since the matchmaking update, but there's still plenty. Personally I just play the casual matchmaking for regular TF2 and only on community servers for gamemodes like dodgeball.

I started playing TF2 again after the Overwatch open beta and was surprised how fun it can be sometimes. Making the big earner give you a speed boost on kill made playing spy twice as fun.

Pyro's kinda useless since everybody else does his job but better in their own ways though Scout's shining harder than ever, ever since people remembered Crit-a-Cola exists. Soldier mains in comp are blubbering about Scout since people picked him up and it's easy as hell to dodge Soldier's comparatively slow rockets as Scout, combined with hit-and-run tactics a Soldier has a hard time dealing with being the core of Scout's playstyle.

been playing tf2 since 2008 its not that much worse.

I suppose, but all 5 of the last few items I "rented" I got as a drop around ~4 matches after renting it.
Being
The Fortified Compound
The Scorch Shot
The Phlogistinator (It was for MVM on a tank heavy wave)
Chargin' Targe
and The Fists of Steel

Hm, might be there's some predilection towards those items in the drop-system if you "express interest" in them, since they're just normally-obtained items. I'll have to look that up.

Maybe it's a feature intended to keep players playing the game, if not that they are spending but to keep player population up.

TF2 is still one of the top Steam games every week after 10 fucking years

The reason I think it's stood the test of time so well, compared to other shooters anyhow, is that it seems as though every new shooter that has come after has somehow managed to be worse even after TF2 because Flanderized

I never play comp cause it seems like a pool of autism, but I assume Scout is more useful there because there's no Engineers. In 12v12 turtling is the meta so a Scout is completely useless for anything other than just getting frags.
Also Soldiers could just git gud and use the Direct Hit.

I've never played tf2, what am I in for

Well, there's also the fact that 6s is heavily geared to Soldiers (and Demos) and for the longest time competitive maps have been designed and playtested around soldiers (and only soldiers) leaving most other classes at a disadvantage most of the time.

I seriously recommend playing medic and watching how everyone else is playing, especially the ones that are dressed very nicely, the nicer someone dressed, the longer they probably have spent practicing, watch for a somewhat cohesive outfit, avoid the gibus and people with gaudy unusuals that stack, they aren't usually as good at the game and have less time invested.

Honestly have no idea if this is still relevant

To add for Medic, don't put yourself in harm's way. Use your patient as a meat shield. You'll survive for much longer. And learn that retreating is better than dying.

Scout excels both at hit-and-run and on being annoying, so he has his place even in 12v12. Makes an excellent distraction, ie prod sentries with pistol-fire from a safe distance away, then when the Engineer comes to ruin your shit run away and let your actual sentry-busters come in to blow them up while the Engineer's occupied with you.

635e4f actually gives some sound advice in primarily paying attention to the people who make their classes look nice with cosmetics. Only pay attention to people wearing a dilapidated top-hat called the Ghastly Gibus if you notice they're actually performing well (chances are they're wearing it entirely to subvert expectations if they're performing well), you can flatly ignore people with extremely brightly colored cosmetics and most people with Unusual hats. The same flies for people with gold-plated Australium weapons, you can generally ignore them and their input because they bought all their fancy gear with Mom's credit card and then visited a special server to grind the Strange kill-count value up to Hale's Own. Typically somebody with Australium gear doesn't actually know how to use any of it.

Beyond that, Scout makes a good beginner's class, as do Soldier and Medic. There's nothing really barring you from playing as any of them from the get-go but you should get in a decent amount of practice with what they can do before you take it out into the field, this especially goes for Spy. tr_walkway is a good map for dicking around with class capabilities as well as practicing your aim in some general situations. gamebanana.com/maps/107794

For a test, here is what you may see from three typical players in game
The nicely dressed on the left, is somwhat of an example of what you should look for.

Iron bomber is good, though its actually just a grenade launcher with a much less roll and less explosion range
The Vaccinator is top tier as well
the others are shit though

I mean the one on the right Sleep deprivation is bad for you kids, don't do it.

Here's a weird question, does anyone play the PS3/360 version anymore? I'm almost considering buying it for shits and giggles, but if it's completely dead then there isn't much point.

360 one was shut down a while ago I think I'm not entirely sure., not sure about the ps3 version

Scout is more useful in competitive (i.e actual community competitive with weapon whitelists) because he's the only one out of the four core classes that has a primary hitscan weapon.

tr_walkway has borked head hitboxes, use tr_aim_training instead.
gamebanana.com/maps/104304

Vaccinator is borderline broken if you use it on a heavy.

You could actually probably find a few games on the 360/PS3 versions, just keep in mind that it's absolute vanilla. It isn't what people usually cry about vanilla TF2 being which is the game around the time of the update where Scout got the Sandman and FaN, I'm talking "Pyro runs as fast as Scout and the flamethrower does almost negligible damage, Spy cannot recover cloak from ammo kits, Engineer's only upgradeable building is the sentry" vanilla.

I'd be relevant if they were furries.

Fuck no. Scout takes lots of experience with the class itself, every other class, and knowledge of the map to be played effectively. Play Pyro instead, but just remember that you have a secondary weapon.

I never understood why people use the Iron bomber. Seems like its lack of roll is stated as a positive but really if you're any good at aiming you can just land direct hits anyway, and in case you can't the roll can actually help you get a bit of extra distance.

I played the console version until like 2009 when I got a decent PC to play the superior PC version

Remember, the console versions have only vanilla weapons and vanilla maps. Its also a lot buggier. Remember the skywalking exploit? Or jump-crouching to put teleporters through walls?

I don't even mind cartoony shit, huge fan of Torchlight myself, but you gotta have serious case of autism to think those are any different.

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm interested in it. I used to play it on my 360, but I sold my copy of the Orange Box a few years ago.

You pretty much summed up why people use the iron bomber, it's a bit of insurance in case demos miss their shots.

I use the iron bomber for jumping and area denial before you say stickies, i main as a demoknight and it really helps the mobility

Just follow this flowchart
Also Engie is still important for defense, but you wont be getting any objectives, unless you go offensive engie with mini-sentry. Only do this if you already have a competent engie on defense on your team

a hell lotta confusion

No one who complains about tf2 hats knows the different between theme and art style user.

Hence you get that knowledge of the maps and the class through playing it, Scout's speed and double-jump make it pretty easy to have a trek through the map to learn its layout while sneaking a meatshot in every once in a while.

Main complaint about the artstyle degradation is that it's slapping a bunch of stupid shit from other games onto characters that had some thought put into their designs.

In that case you should be able to find a few games, but it's been a while since I played either so 360 online play might be dead like another guy mentioned.

You can occupy an offensive and a defensive role with the Widowmaker and wrangler, making use of a full size sentry to back you up on pushes with the wrangler and leaving it to it's own devices, since usually by the time someone occupies the role of a spy you can move your sentry up.
In addition a level 2 sentry can be used for that little bit faster set up time for a little more mobility on your sentry.to protect your support for your team (teleporters and dispensers) on the front lines.

I bet you're one of those fags who whined when valve nerfed the sticky bombed a year ago
Meanwhile i'm here cutting heads like no tomorrow

added note to
if there are more then 1 sniper or spy that game is lost
you might as well quit that game

It's up to player whether to slap shit on his character or not, isn't it?

Shhhh, you'll trigger the art style fags if you point out people have to intentionally want to look ridiculous.

currently been playing everyday since comp update.
90% of matches are poorly balanced
50% of matches are abandons
10% of matches have hackers in them (better then the 100% of matches that had hackers in them at the beg. of the update)
I'm also being called a hacker when I carry my team and dare the other team to abandon like the worthless trogs they are.

its a hard life

also the amount of hacking pyros is hilarious. like they managed to make hacking a laughable thing for them to do.

It should have stayed nerfed, stickyspamming is a anti-fun overpowered tactic.

yes
I disagree

If you have decent snipers its okay to have 2. 3 is going a bit excessive though. The sniper is very underappreciated on maps lime 2fort. If you have 2 good snipers clearing the center walkway by keeping the enemy on their toes and headshotting Or just multi body-shotting heavies then it'll clear way for your team to occupy it and push them back

It wouldn't be so bad if the sticky launcher could basically fire as fast as the pipe/rocketlauncher/airblast and had 8 in the clip

there might be a few but i wouldn't pick it up just because it would probably be over run by admin abusers and little shits. plus using a controller sucks ass

Nigger I hate sticky-spam, I rarely register I even have the thing since I primarily run between a Skullcutter for melee and a stock grenade launcher. I use a Quickiebomb Launcher in general though it's mostly there to fuck up enemy demo sticky-traps.

It is, but the inherent ridiculousness of the shit in question triggers me a good deal as somebody who likes a clean and consistent theme to a game. I'm more pissed about almost all of the community-contributed hats that fail to capture the character they were designed for like the first wave or two of hats did (ie Killer's Kabuto or Fancy Fedora) than I am the promotional all-class hats, personally.

It's time to post your fashion.

Sounds like the Scottish Resistance to me user. Shame not many people use it, amazing a a defensive weapon. Wish they'd remove the arm time if a stick is below the demo for jumping purposes.

I mean didn't instead of should good luck on your games, I am both too tired and drunk to actually talk on Laotian photography planks

Don't wear them then?

your entire argument relies on the snipers being good, if that was the case i would agree with you.
though, if there is 1 good sniper top scoring on a team most of the time the other snipers are just idiots, who only picked the class because they saw someone doing well with
it.

this tends to be most cases witch is why i say more then 1 sniper is bad for most pub games

Yes.
The fact that people are free to choose how to dress their classes is also why there's so many godawful costumes floating around, just like in real life.

please leave

Persona Shadow.jpg

Still working on it.

Not trying to start anything but the power classes have high skill ceilings including demo. demos skill floor is just lower then the others but not lower then pyro/heavy/engy.

On the subject of Froyo Black, it's a real testament to how invite is dying when a team consisting of retired players who don't scrim at all can get third place.

Well is freedom good or bad? Make up your mind.

The cherry on top of that cancer pile is the fucking "designer headphones".

Having a high skill ceiling doesn't mean that it also doesn't have a low skill floor though

I'm colon-cranky they're in the game at all, user.

Sure, I'm game. Demo's purposefully obnoxious looking and I don't really have all that many cosmetics.

thats what i said

Without experimentation, we'd never find any good stuff.
The price of freedom is more than just eternal vigilance.

Holy shit what a dweeb

It's a living

I play FF every day. Shit's great.

A once fantastic game with lots of love put into it that has become a shadow of it's former self due to Valve's negligence. Still very fun though.

Scout: 7/10
Soldier: Big Boss/10
Pyro: 7/10
Engy: 9/10
Heavy: cyka/10
Demo: 3/10
Medic: 3/10
Sniper: 8/10
Spy: 8/10

Average style rating: 7.22
Demo is the niggest.
Medic is unconsistent

Scout: The Flash/10
Soldier: 4/10
Pyro: 9/10
Demo 1: 9/10
Demo 2: 6/10
Heavy: 6/10
Engy: 6/10
Medic: 10/10
Sniper: 6/10
Spy: 5/10

Average style rating: 7.88
Soldier looks bland.
Demo 2 has a persian shiled and persian boots. Disgusting.
Heavy doesn't look pilotka enough.
Engy is not Elvis enough (give him a gut)
Sniper would look better without the mask
Spy would look better with another hat

Scout: 1/10
Soldier: 6/10
Pyro: 1/10
Demo: 1/10
Heavy: 6/10
Engy: Autist/10
Medic: Butcher/10
Sniper: Leon/10
Spy: 1/10

Average style rating: 5.11
Loadouts need work as a whole. The classes that do stand out (Heavy, Engy, Medic, Sniper) have a theme going and could be improved upon.

I like TF2 but just no way to actually play it anymore, all the community servers I used are dead and valve matchmaking is about as stimulating as watching paint dry in terms of the average persons skill level. With the few times I can get on a community server I like which is only prime time hours its full of just complete shitters. All the good players are gone

Its such a shame

I used to have a Chronomancer that I gave to a friend that would kind of tie that Sniper together so I'll see what I can do about picking one up, most of the ones that look like shit are terminal laziness or simply not having the cosmetics to play fashion-designer that I'd like. I can't really think of anything I'd like to do with Demo, for instance, hence he's a party-animal.

Heavy's got a Bolshevik Biker on but I had it at a weird angle so it didn't come out too well, would like to have a Cuban Bristle Crisis so I can try and Big Boss him. Trying to figure out what would look good with Rogue's Col Roule.

i can't play it anymore cause of the 90 fov limit. nowadays i get sick if i don't have over 100 fov

the unusual was a gift

You'd be better off with a gibus and pyrovision.
0/10 would steal your medkit when you're about to die and say thanks.

I can understand that. I don't deck out the classes I dont play as much. Demo actually has a lot of fun cosmetics. You could slap the pirate themed cosmetics on him, make him a pimp, make him a medieval warrior, the list goes on.

I noticed it, the get-up didn't stand out with it. Bristle and the bandana seem like a good choice, just give him a fitting unifrom and it's good. I'll post my loadout up for scrutiny in my next posts.

Highly inconsistent, only saving grace is your Pyro, which is on-theme. The rest can be tossed in le garbage.

I'm lazy and cheap so Dead of Night for everyone.

The only things that I have that are strange are the Wrench, Degreaser and everything the medic wears barring the unusual

Nigger what game are you playing?

Actually been keeping my eyes peeled for stuff that could make a good pimp, it's just getting the metal around for it since I don't typically go on trade sprees or let my backpack go for long enough that I get more than a couple refined out of scrapping spares.

I actually didn't think of bristle and bandana, that looks great in my head so once I get bristles I'll definitely consider that.

Hard Gay Heavy and geriatric Engi are fantastic

I'd still be using it if it could actually kill anything without needing a friggin crit, though the Demo still getting a kill with it because he landed, didn't die, and beat you over the head with the caber's stump is pretty embarrassing.

Not really, they play the objective a lot.

The game is way too wonky to know if a Sniper is aimbotting or not.

I have the growing impression that its always the same guy posting this or Holla Forums is too retarded to play something fast.

I have no excuse.

Sh-shut up!

Jesus christ dude

Valve recently released an update that fucked anyone with an nvidia card.

Created a memory leak that maxes out video memory usage until the game either crashes or drops to 1fps every time something happens in the game. This happens as soon as you enter a server.

There, nabbed a Chronomancer and slapped it on.

Leon, from the future. Not bad, but have you considered the Extra Layer?

And they might as well have just removed them, Tough Break sure as fuck wasn't a "balance" patch.

Quick question how do you take the classes screenshot like that?

Just take screenshots for each class and put them together in paint or something.

I always wondered why TF2 lag so hard and i cant even boot game on Directx 9.

This si funny how player numbers decline: 2 years ago that was a 200k players and now only 20k-50k.

I have an nvidia card and it works on my PC ;)

Reminder Team Fortress II was in development for 10 years.

TF2 has been getting updates for 9 years.

Team Fortress 2 was collectively developed for nearly 2 decades as of now.

suicide is an option

fucking sucks shit

Can somebody explain me why this game is so goddamn bloated?. It's hard to belive that part of the 16 gb is only hats and cosmetics.

Is it really? I think that's exactly what does it. There are a lot of hats. Doesn't help that some hats, like most all-class and multi-class hats need a separate model for each class.

REST IN PIECES FINLAND FUCKHOUSE

There's a fair share of maps in the game, and they take a lot of space. About a third iirc. The models (hats, weapons, map models) with their textures are another third, and the rest are map textures.

It is because of the hats and cosmetics, but its also surprising how large map files are just like
said

Nice fat engie

what is this, a fucking circus?

thinking of the money magnet jew scout?

The lightbulb would make more sense if it was painted salmon, not pink.

better now?

How's the drop system work for TF2 now? All I heard is that it was changed awhile back so that staying idle is a waste now. Has it changed since that day too?

play the game and you get items
it's easy

wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Item_drop_system
Unless there was a recent update that changed it you get 1 item every hour of gameplay (Only during a rounds) You have to accept the item so idling won't work, and this happens until you get to 10 hours.

Limited number of items per week. if you join in Saturday you get like a 4-5 drop instantly.

this post would make a good banner

I wish theyd a cosmetic item to scout that gave him these pants and shoes. tired of the baseball cleats

Not really, even Valve's moved on from hats at this point, they're now trying to force CS GO style guns and campaigns on people.

bathrobes are for women

Fuck you.

Are you a homosexual?

for you

Well what's the next step part of your master plan?

I tried.

The post, user. Not the picture.

Almost.

Sucking this dick
WITH MILLIONS OF SURVIVORS
all over my face :3

fug.

I still miss the Equalizer.

Given that melee weapons seem to crit more often anyways and to get the full benefit of the Equalizer you need to be at low enough HP to drop if a gnat farts in the same stretch of the map you're in, I don't really understand the practicality behind the Equalizer/Escape Plan split. Escape Plan is a near-total replacement for it and Equalizer is completely useless, you barely notice you don't get a damage ramp-up because of crits and your main focus with both the old Equalizer and the Escape Plan is on getting the hell out of there anyways.

TF2 Is Dead, join us anons at TF2C
just look for us
steamcommunity.com/groups/8chTF2C#
embed related made by alpha, Mod of our TF2C Servers

fuck off alphablaster

you shouldn't have come here stalker
==NOW YOU WILL BE WORM FOOD==

fug

Instead go play Fortress Forever. That mod's actually good instead.

No. Save yourself the pain
If you like waiting in queue for half an hour just to get one game or part of a game to then get disconnected from the server shortly after. You still get community servers, but those are mostly cancer slenderman_idle_pony_gaynightclub like they have been for a long time now.

Keeps getting worse. I'll just give you the TLDR list of shit I remember. They buffed the phlog and enforcer. They buffed spy speed. They buffed the sydney sleeper. They made spy run faster. They nerfed medic's healing on burning people, but let him run as fast as a scout when healing one with any medi gun. They continually flip flop between the nerfs they are trying to give to the miniguns. They nerfed the sticky launcher to be less viable for anything that isn't camping one trap. They nerfed multiple engie build time. They nerfed the gunslinger by reducing building healing done while it is in that shield. They gave the soda popper a damage done based buildup which for anyone with a basic grasp of the class means it'll go out faster/more often. They gave the shortstop a melee based shove airblast. They reduced it's bonus to self knockback and took away the bonus healing from medkits.

Fuck Valve, I hope that when they die they die hard and end up with some employees jumping down a few stories

I would sooner use public queue than this.

I haven't even played TF2 in years, it got so bad I couldn't handle the game. I will never get 2007-era TF2 back ever again.

Just play the console version on Orange Box.

The amount of languages he speaks is impressive.

>tfw you main pyro

The thing about mailing baby-tier classes is they get old quick

You'll want to switch things up a bit

And "maining" any class is fucking stupid. If you main engie and the game already has 3 engies you'll want to chose a different class anyways

It's not hard to learn all the romance languages once you've learned one of them.

Look are you trying to stick out like a sore thumb or are you just stupid and assume people are dumber than you?

fuck off alpha

FUCK OFF ALPHA GO BACK TO REDDIT

It might not be hard but it's time consuming and takes dedication. Not all romance languages are as similar as you think.

For example, I'm Spanish speaking myself and pretty much understand Portuguese writing without any formal education, (speaking it is a different story). However, it's not that easy with French and Italian. I can understand some words, but even if the structure is similar you gotta learn a lot of freaking prepositions (which don't sound similar at all in many cases), and obviously all the words are going to be different. Then you have stuff like French having all the extra diacritical marks and shit.

DID SOMEONE SAY FASHION?

This is a very ironic post

vid related

I prefer gang garrison.