PS2 Modding

What do, Holla Forums?

Also general modding thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

versatile1.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/how-to-boot-games-off-network-smb-with-playstation-2-ps2-using-openps2loader-a-novice-guide/
ps2home.freeforums.net/
forums.afterdawn.com/threads/newbie-guide-pc-to-ps2-via-lan-apps-games.320621/
bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Slim only plays discs well IIRC.
Fat plays them off HDD very well.

I've never even touched my PS2

Some games can't be burned (Anything on DVD9) or don't work when burned, IE Mercenaries

IIRC it's only the Fat that can use the HDD because it actually has an expansion bay for one.

And you're going to have a super fun time playing off of a USB drive going through a USB 1.1 port.

If you have Swap magic just search for "FREE MCBOOT" on google, you should be able to figure everything else

You can use USB HDDs. I keep seeing videos on how to put them on the drive, but nothing on actually booting the fuckers.

GEE IT'S ALMOST LIKE I EXPLICITLY POINTED OUT A REASON WHY YOUR ADVICE IS FUCKING WORTHLESS

Get a fat ps2 or a slim one with HDD hardmod.
PS2 only has USB 1.1 so you won't be able to play anything at playable speeds and the PS2's laser is notoriously shit so burning your own backups will only go so far.

Games run like ass over USB because the PS2 only has USB1 ports. You'd be better off running it over a network cable or wirelessly if you need to.

wish you luck

Okay, so… how? Like, seriously, been searching, I find the tools, but nothing on how to actually fucking use them. It's like every motherfucker on earth forgot how to actually write a fucking ReadMe

just fucking SMB it, that's the best way to play games on PS2

Okay. How? Literally NOWHERE tells you HOW.

Well the first step is buying yourself a memory card that has been jacked with freemcboot, before you think about anything else.

You can crack a memory card yourself, but it involves swapping in/out certain games like splinter cell/mgs3/some 007 game, just a big hassle really.

Just hdd mod it. Get a fat.

In the same boat as you, OP, except my PS2 is the 7902 slim model.
Googling doesn't yield much asides from a couple of reddits, which I always lean away from.

Here are two tidbits I've learned from my own research.
1) Forget about USB game loading on PS2 slim. The USB ports are USB 1.1 which loads 8 times slower than the DVD. Most games don't run properly at all.
2) 007 Agent under fire is a surefire way to step into homebrew, as the game loads a certain file without checking for its legitimacy, making hot-swapping ez.
3) Free mcboot is also a great way to get into homebrew, however you will ahve to ship your memory card off to someone who will do it for you.

And finally, I read somwhere that 9k PS2s (the 2011-13 release models) are actually much more difficult to pirate on than others. So good luck.

You didn't even read the OP, or know what you're talking about.

…just get a fat ps2, $5 network adapter, and $20 250GB ide hard drive. Problem solved.

You also need an adapter that will allow you to read/write the drive.

You never fucking looked, you retarded furfag

HERE COMES THE PLANE, user, OPEN YOUR MOUTH
versatile1.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/how-to-boot-games-off-network-smb-with-playstation-2-ps2-using-openps2loader-a-novice-guide/

The best thing to happen was finding a fat ps2 for 20 bucks "for spare parts" while only the disc tray was misaligned and didn't close properly. After that I got myself a network adaptor and a HDD, did what I needed, and here I am with fucktons of games.

Thanks, user.

Forgot my image

Get the soldering, because this is likely the only way you're gonna get homebrew on it to load OPL on your bad buy (assuming you didn't just find it lying about your house after all these years). once done, you set up a shared folder (Allow full access to yourself through advanced sharing.) and static IP. Don't follow the network settings on the linked tutorial the only thing you need to switch on is file and printer sharing. on the PS2 side just set it to look for the static IP you set up for it and things should be set up to start loading games. OPL Manager is your friend for that if you don't feel like doing it manually

get soldering*

I hear there's a way to load PS1 games off a PS2 Hard Drive, or maybe a USB stick. How can I do this? Is this true?

Please say nice things.

The app is Called POPStarter, and it can even work in conjunction with OPL. I've tried to make it work twice through SMB to no avail, but it'll likely be easier through the HDD.

I have Freemcboot & a hard drive adapter with HD. If you haven't gotten it to work, what are my chances? Any good guides out there?

Also, what would be the easiest way to load a hard drive with these games? It's the first result when I search IDE to USB on Amazon.

I've only ever tried to get it to work with SMB, as I have a PS2 slim and the only other option is USB. I am certain you will have a much easier time configuring the HDD-

So you're going for the USB method? Well, it still should be easy, but don't expect good compatability.

the tutorial, as well as the rest of the PS2 community, is here ps2home.freeforums.net/

I'm asking if that adapter will allow me to hook my PS2 hard drive to my PC. I want to load games onto it, but I don't want to go through the hassle of opening up My PC to hook up an old hard drive.

Would that adapter work?

oh, well it definitely should judging by the looks of it. the terms male and female will help you when looking for computer parts.

I should also mention that if you don't feel like configuring POPStarter and abandoning loading games via HDD, there's always PSXLauncher, just make sure you have a PS1 game lying about to use it with.

The HDD must've been failing well before you did SMB, because mines working fine for a month straight.

Should've responded to this earlier, but all DVD9 means is that you need a dual layer disc if you're gonna play it via Burned discs.

mines been working since I've gotten it configured a month ago.*

I know it was on it's way but streaming a fucking ps2 game through a network was not doing it any favors.

Well, did you manage to at least get everything backed up before it kicked the bucket?

What's the best kind of HDD to get for a fat PS2?

So I can't load it via Swap Magic?

the official one because it has most documentation regarding its support otherwise just get any HDD the guide you are following recommends

I managed to save all my dank memes but my media server died with it.

If it comes with a power adaptor then yes. Otherwise you'll have to open up your PC anyways to power it from the PSU.

You're better off transferring games through FTP on a network. It's more hassle to setup but it makes changing games on it much easier if you're using a small HDD.

forums.afterdawn.com/threads/newbie-guide-pc-to-ps2-via-lan-apps-games.320621/

I don't know much about swap magic, So you're gonna have to look up documentation on it. As far as I know, it'll allow you to play burned discs without the patching ESR requires, but is does need you to swap the discs while the lazer is still active, which requires blocking the sensors on the PS2 slim (Tape, Tissue, and straw mod) and Phat (Drive Key). You're going to need to block the sensors anyway to use homebrew that requires the DVD drive (PSXLauncher comes to mind).

lmao

You can buy pre-loaded memory cards off Ebay

In that case op will have to get himself a new PS2

Only emulated. You're basically using the ps2 as an emulator.

Maxtor 120/250GB 7200rpm IDE

Not so fast, using Swap Magic I can boot ULE, then launch OPL

It's a bit roundabout, but I use SMB to boot ULE, then use ULE to launch OPL.

How and why?

Mind sending it to me? With controllers please.

bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/

You're all useless, dumbass faggots.

Kids these days.

Why? Because I can't install Free MC Boot.

How?

1) Get small USB drive
2) Add folder named "SWAPMAGIC"
3) Take ULE's .EFL and rename it "SWAPMAGIC.EFL"
4) Insert SMB disc and USB drive into PS2, remove Memory Cards
5) Boot PS2, now boots to ULE
6) Use ULE to run OPL
7) Use OPL to read games via network.

posting the xbox modding guide.

Help.

kek

You install it onto a memory card, you fucking retard

You fucked up somewhere during the install process. Run everything in administrator mode and make sute you are doing the image install correctly.

Is there a loss edit in there somewhere?

How, you fucking retard.

SCPH-9000X PS2s aren't FreeMCBootable, the firmware doesn't support it anymore.
You're just gonna have to get a bunch of DVD-Rs and burn them, man.

Or use Swap Magic to boot into OpenPS2Loader