Minetest - Dank Fantasy Caves Edition

MINETEST THREAD
Minetest is a libre Minecraft clone written in C++, with a mod API that runs lua-based mods. You also download mods automatically.

minetest.net/

If you choose to download the portable version, there is not even a need to install it. Just unzip it and execute minetest.exe inside minetest/bin.

We have our own faction-based server now! Griefed to hell and back as you would expect from a Holla Forums server, but we are holding up quite well despite all the burning forests and stone wastelands.
Server Address:
catgirls.animebitch.es
Port:

Rules:
We've got people making their own mods for this game as we speak. Old OP is working on some mob models, Shamoanjac's making a more advanced faction system, and Nosrick is making a Master of Magic mod.

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14497-
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14494
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5245
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7887
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10888
github.com/minetest-technic/technic/blob/master/manual.md
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9470
github.com/minetest/minetest/blob/master/minetest.conf.example
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?t=12842
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If anyone is interested, I'm selling some stuff by order.

Stack of frost tree logs: 1 Minecoin
Suit of enchanted diamond armor: 30 Minecoins (limited stock)

Contact Reimu in-game

I won't make any sales under 10 Minecoins unless you have tube mail set up.

Is there a quick faq or something that explains the differences between this and minecraft?

I've been trying to get back into minecraft lately but all the new shit and FUCKING JAVA is putting me off. Maybe I'll give this a shot instead.

In case admin didn't see it:

Proof of FUNK hacking.

Back to Terraria with me. I'm apparently too retarded or not autistic enough to play minecraft.

Q. Is this feature coming?
A1. No, mods will do it
A2. No, mods will do it once client-side scripts are implemented

Q. When will client-side scripting be implemented?
A. Before the heat death of the universe.

FUNK has been banned and has evaded under other names already.

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN MINECRAFT AND MINETEST

Minetest is a basic engine at the lowest level.

All of the gameplay elements are individual mods.
There is a modding API using LUA.
And you download mods when you connect to the server. No fiddling needed.
The game comes standard with a minimap by using F9.
There's not enough good mob mods currently, but that's subject to change.
The game performs a bit better, according to a lot of people in the thread.

Also, the game is free as in beer.

sheeitt the server does all the work for me? sign me up!

yeah dude, it all just works and you don't have to install mods or use some mod manager, it's the most comfiest game

and you have a ridiclously huge world height its goes to like more than 10000 blocks down!

a guide for installing mods, or is it easy as drag and drop?

So wait, does the server already have the nether as a thing, or is this just a mod someone is asking for?

Usually you have to unpack a zip file, and make sure the folder has the appropriate name.

The admin just installed

You don't need a workbench, your inventory effectively has one built in.

Whoa. so the map resetted?

We do already have this. It's not the Nether, it's better.

Talking about additional mods, these would be pretty sweet.
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14497- Space above +2000 (low gravity and space suit required)
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14494 - Hells and above dimensions that can get pretty fucking trippy (probably incompatible with the mod above)
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5245 - Weather effects

Some nice mods that shouldn't be installed, but admired.
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7887 - Crazy mapgen with Dyson spheres, ring worlds and much more. Only ruined by the fact that Minetest can't into fucking moddable gravity vectors and camera axis.
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10888 - FLAOT-like worldgen

Nah, map just generated for the first time since this cave is near the edge of the world. We had to get teleported there.

Fun caves pretty much breaks the entire game, so no.

Is the mod good and does it clash with Technic generation?

change the gay hud
its literally gay

Today, in the Feverish Worlds of Dali…

Are there good tech mods for this yet?

Define good. Technic is not IndustrialCraft, but almost. Mesecons is pretty much RedPower; better than RedPower, I would say. There is also digilines, which alongside Mesecons implements some ComputerCraft-like functionalities, but it doesn't even come close.

Best case would be a rotarycraft clone and all the shit from factorio

Reika is a massive faggot.

Might as well have painted a target on my back.

lmao

His mods are good. He should be hanged though, yeah.

Why doesnt this game respect my freedom?

is there a tfc-tier survival mod yet?

I thought the person you replied just implied that they don't care about free as in muh freedoms

mods that turn the entire thing into space station 13 when

Man I remember reading about this like two, three years ago, and shit barely changed.

And why's there another thread when the old thread's still on the catalog?

You mean the down to last thread of the catalog, about to disappear immediately?

It does tho.

I remember playing with hotwheels a year or two ago and its gotten supremely better.

They tore the game down to a basic engine and told the modders to make the game.

And they did.

Attention all the fr*eaking online trolls - NO GRIEFING ALLOWED!!! You will be reported and KICKED!

DELETE THIS!!!

Hello?

where does this mem even come from

The game is not "free as in free beer," it is "free as in libre" meaning it is not proprietary and as the user you have the right to do whatever you want with the software including but not limited to modifying it and redistributing it.

The free beer analogy is for something like a shitty free mobile app where it doesn't cost money to download but you can't do with it what you like. For example when you get a free bud light can you manufacture and sell your own bottles of bud light using their logo and recipe? No, you cannot because it is not libre.

Maybe it's Bill Gates and he's trying to justify the 2 gorillion dollars he spent buying Minecraft.

oh. I thought the "free as in freedom" line was a joke because our freedoms are constantly trampled on.

At least beer is something that's material. it's real.

Alright, so the spawn zone is entirely covered in lava and stone and claimed by Mobin's faction so I can't even build a tunnel to get the new players out of there. At this point not even a stone removal nuke would fix it so either the admin comes in and sets another spawn zone, or we load a backup, or we nuke the whole map and start anew with a bigger protected spawn zone.

I would consider making parcels bigger as well, maybe with some sort of visual marker like the protection mod has when punching the shield block, so we have an idea of how big our territory actually is. Also, for shamo, check out the power banner code as well. I suspect they may be bugged and acting as some sort of death banners

The big difference is the modding API. Minecraft has no official modding API, but Forge is a third-party mod-loader and API which provides a lot of functionality. Anything not supported by Forge can be implemented using core mods.
Minetest has an official Lua modding API, but it's extremely limited and can't even run anything on the client-side. It's impossible to modify anything outside of the API.

Mobs:
Minetest mobs lag like fuck (because of the lack of client-side scripting) and they look awful compared to the ones in Minecraft. They are all some kind of generic brown box with scrawny legs of various lengths.

Graphics:
3D models are supported in Minetest, but any fancy effects such as self-illumination maps or custom shaders are completely out of the question.

World:
Minecraft has a nearly infinite flat world with tall chunks which extend from bedrock up to the maximum height of ~256 blocks. You can't dig deeper than ~64 m.
Minetest has a finite cubic world with ~60 km long sides. The chunks are cubic. It is possible to dig ~30 km deep, or build ~30 km into the air.
Both games have reasonably interesting cave systems.

Dimensions:
Minetest has no support for dimensions. If you go through a portal, you're going to end up somewhere in the 60x60x60 km cube. The official advice for making "dimensions" is to make them generate thousands of km above or below ground.

New spawn fams this is now officially where you all go after dying or upon joining server enjoy your autism

Except it's been fixed already

:^)

Took faster to remove it, than you to grief it, lel

ayyy

Can we have a reset?

Did you just blow up all the buildings I've covered with lava and stone? Thanks bro

We then used Worldedit. Thanks for playing!

it just keeps getting better

the faggots who build at spawn and you both need to fuck off away from spawn.
Spawn should be a no-touching area.

What's the glitch bro?? I build at Wilderness, if I'm not supposed to do that then why don't you just protect it?

whos this guy you keep posting tbqh

If the UI wasn't garbage and the world size wasn't so small I'd probably play this. Oh well.

63^3^3 cubic meters actually

*63k^3^3

give link to the mod that gives bitchin caves

Freedom is no joke.

Send help.

Sorry to soil the thread with more questions from people new to Minetest, but I'm trying to mod it up before I get some singleplayer on, and I don't really know where to start. From the look of it, there are plenty of mods that cover the same things, conflict with other mods, or require other mods.

In plainer terms, I am asking to be spoonfed. What mods should I get?

So far, I've downloaded Ethereal, ImmersiveSounds, MoreOres, and the Torches mod, all from the 'popular mods' page on the Minetest site. What other ones should I definitely get? Which mob mod(s) are advisable?

Oh, and of course, which mods should I avoid?

Sorry I rekt your giant jewhead base and got you and your boyfriend banned after you sperged out so hard you had to both download cheat engine.

Avoid the old mobs mod, get the mobs_redo mod. It's probably the best mob mod.

1. The fourth setting should be settings.

2. Find advanced settings

3. The third option should be client and server, the second option in that submenu should be language. Double-click this.

4. Change your language

look who's talking Anonyma

B-b-ut I didn't cheat! y-you cheated!

You literally can't come up with any other attack against me, so you have to manufacture one.

I rekt you fair and square. Now run back to minecraft where you can build your jewhead in peace on some halfchan Holla Forums server.

For a camwhore, you sure look deformed.

why r u upset bro

I'm upset because every time I see your face in this thread, it makes me physically sick.

No really, It's like god thought "Hey, what if I took fetal alchohol syndrome, and stretched it vertically instead of horizontally?"

Just kiss already

What mods should I get for this shit to be an enjoyable dorf simulator?

NEVER EVER

Humanity is the real monster.

yes, 64km radius is small. What of it? On the minecraft servers I've played on and run people have wandered 100+km to find the perfect spot. Especially if you use a mod like TerraFirmaCraft.

having a 32km depth is cool, but largely unnecessary

nigga no server can handle people going that far, in fact most Minecraft servers limit the playable area to a 3k radius, sometimes 5k

It isn't when you have dank space mods and caves that are taller than the whole Minecraft world.

Is that underage hax0r still on the loose?

if it was 100km^2, sure. but its not, its 10km^2 pieces 100+ km apart

and do you have those things? Minetest doesn't even have monsters.

Yeah, we have the caves. Spess coming soon if admin wants, too.

Don't. Just play Dwarf Fortress, it's much better.

what mod is that?

CaveRealms for caves, Space ( ) for spess

The Not So Simple Mobs mod looks cool. Is it good too?

They look fucking ugly as sin.

Jesus Christ, how horrifying.

So does everything else in the game

I have never understood why every single person interested in FOSS cannot into basic visual design.

It's because they're quite ugly. All they can create is ugly. Everything about them is ugly, except for the code, and even then it can be quite hideous and inneficient "bud ad leest ids free ass n freedumb :DDDDDD fuggin windows normanders".

Autism.

checked

also dwarf fortress is ugly as fuck and too far off into the 'tism territory than I'm willing to go.

Please, point to us where did the Minetest touch you

It's the truth though.

Master of Magic Update
Death is now worth putting a point into. It has some cool spells, like Ghouls that can make Zombies out of anything they kill.

I fell like a retard like when I first played minecraft again! It's great! How big are factions on the server?

found the caves

So what mod is this?

caverealms i think

Here's what's wrong with the factions mod:

- Not enough in-game documentation, new players have to ask in chat to learn the mechanics
- Power banners and death banners are a bugged clusterfuck. Not even going to list the absurdly big list of bugs for a mod that has supposedly been in development for weeks.
- Power counter is a bugged overly complex clusterfuck. Tons of people report going negative in power. Unnecessary complexity.
- Not clear which area the placed banner will influence. Possible to place a death banner only to find that the block next to it is not affected.
- Infinite vertical influence? So if I have a tower I can just use one claim to own the whole tower? And anyone would only need 1 death banner to grief it? Shit design.
- Game design is flawed, illogical and unfun. A lot of exploits. Simplest example: put power banner underground and cover with stone - nobody will ever find it = fair?

Here's what you should do:

- Ditch power banners, death banners and power counter.
- Introduce Territory Banner = place in any area and your faction will own anything within 10 block^3 cube. NOT a fucking parcel. Make the territory banner mark the center of the influenced area.
- Introduce War Axe = the only item in the game that can take down a territory banner, requires rare materials to craft and breaks after 1 use. Area becomes unclaimed after territory banner is down. War axe has to be used on any block within claimed area (to prevent the possibility of surrounding a banner with protected blocks) and it only affects the area it was used in.

This design is much cleaner, approachable and does not have any of the cons that the current power system has. Feel free to give critique.

Also have a concise list of server rules that's displayed by typing /rules or something.

+1 if you agree.

+1

+1 but maybe increase the territory banner range, it might look weird to have banners all over the place. They could be made more expensive to compensate.

As an additional improvement, stop funk-hunting #JusticeForFUNK #NothingWrong #GriefingAllowed #LetsPlayBlocksTogether

DELETE THIS!!!!!

Why do you have so much media relating to this guy?

If you're him, why are you so self-obsessed?

#JusticeForFUNK #PlayByTheRules

That didn't answer my questions.

Any faction recruiting at all?

One of my girls might give u the answer

/f help explains pretty much everything briefly, but clearly.
Agree. Power banners still make some sense, but death banners are pretty crazy
One time FUNK killed me and stole my power banners. Went into negative power territory for some reason. I think it may have to do with the multiple "You Died" messages you get on death, maybe multiple deaths that do reduce your power.
Yeah, agree. Shamo mentioned he could include WorldEdit's virtual wall limits into the mod, tho.
Nah, this one makes sense. Nobody wants a fucking lava source over their heads. An easier solution would be placing banners at y > 0 or requiring several blocks of free space above it
Maybe some power banner radar would be fun to implement. Something like "it's above you", or "it's down on the z axis".

Most protection mods do use this system, and it's pretty straightforward. I am not sure why didn't we go with this.
Fuck no, you want to see thousands of floating banners just to protect sky area? Some servers only have the protection cubes mod and this is more or less how they look, and it's ridiculous.
Yeah, this sounds good. Alternatively, make it able to bypass protection of any non-interactive (imagine if you could simply destroy a chest with all its contents inside it) block so you can try to open a hole to enter into faction territory from some relatively weak spot.

Two threads ago I proposed a Faction Reactor as well. Basically, make a glorified multiblock furnace (like the nuclear reactor) to power your faction and banners. If you run out of fuel, tough luck (and if your enemies get to your reactor, tougher luck).

Well, all of my questions have been answered.
Thanks.

D-delete this?
post more feet

get the server back up !

never forget

v-very nice.

Before I even read, thanks for taking the time to give me some feedback. I appreciate it.
The lack of documentation is terrible, I know, however, I think I can only do so much for in-game documentation. A manual wouldn't fit in either a formspec or a chat message. If you can do it in an easy way, though, you're more than welcome to PR and I will accept.
Then they will not get fixed.
The original way used only one variable, but admin didn't like it.
It's very, very likely that this is due to Minetest deaths being extremely bugged (when you die, you actually die five or more times). I've ditched through the code and there is a single part in which power is lowered, and that is death.
The parcel you place it on. Duh.
Yes.
That's your opinion, and anyways it's too late for changing it unless current existing factions are destroyed.
Happens with pretty much everything ingame, but I agree it's a flaw.
That's an awful idea, both performance and gameplay-wise (for gameplay, maybe not if the block is way bigger, but still then, the performance loss will be significant, and with all the lava and water flowing, you don't want to put more pressure on the server CPU).
That one is actually not a bad idea, I'll think about it.

Even if it doesn't seem like it, a lot of thought has been put into making factions how they are right now.
As for your comment about bugs and "the weeks it's been developed", I've been on vacation two weeks AND I have a life which doesn't include a maid-mom AND I have extremely few technical feedback on bugs AND I'm dealing with a shit API. I'd say factions has been pretty well developed given these conditions.

By the way, you are also welcome to implement all these modifications you want yourself, and I'll be the first one to support your mod being tested on the server. But write it.

I have my autism cave now and I'm happy

I'm sure your code base is written in a way that's clear and friendly to modification

Check it for yourself.
Now, if you expect something as central as "which area is claimed" to be easy to modify…

It actually doesn't look as bad as last time I looked at it (which was near the beginning), sorry for doubting.

Gotta say as fucked up as minetest tends to get. The generation is be top notch above minecraft. The one I loaded may be the most compelling world I've explored.

Basically the world started me out in a giant pit that I had to climb out of and upon doing that I got a view of pic 2 via another angle. I later discovered that the general center coordinates of the map is just a giant fucking system of rivers that lead to different biomes with huge cliffs on both sides. The center of the coordinates is the mountain in pic 2. After exploring for a bit I eventually found a little peninsula in the middle of a more remote place that the rivers led to and decided to set up shop there and upgrade my shit with technic so I could eventually go back to pic 2 and make a haven there. Pic 1 is just some of the scenery in the river channels and 3 is my soon to be base. I wish the block rendering in this game wasn't so shit so I could actually not have my immersion broken by a giant empty space in the middle of a wall. To add to that my game keeps fucking forcing me to the main menu because of crashes. The code for generation needs to be optimized.

Either way a very interesting world. To those interested the seed is Ishtar

Also embed related.

It seems to be a lot like beta 1.7.3's gen.

I've revised my enchanted suit of diamond armor price to 20 lumps of gold or 80 minecoins, since you can make minecoin blocks by cooking gold blocks.

You should add some utility spells, things like conjuring magic lanterns to light your way, or fetilizing plants, or instantly smelting ores or dusts in the inventory.

There's a bug, or at least an unintended side effect of some of your damage code. The set_hp method on ObjectRefs rounds down when you set it. So when you give fractional damage, like when you punch without waiting for the cooldown, the damage gets rounded up (since you are subtracting the damage). This means you can spam punches and they will always do at least a half a heart of damage, including against armored opponents. This is bad because people can get high DPS of just punching.

The solution is to round your damage down before subtracting it from the health. If you want to simulate fractional damage, you can do this:

1. Get the integer part of the damage (call this n)
2. Get the fractional part of the damage (call this r)
3. Generate a random number between 0 and 1.
4. If the random number is less than r, the final damage will be n + 1. Otherwise it is n.
5. Apply the final damage you calculated.

You can get the integer and fractional parts of a lua number with math.modf

Basically this turns the extra 0.25 of damage or whatever into a 0.25 chance of an extra point. So the expected average damage will be 0.25

The fractional part is unnecessary, but you should at least fix the punch spam cheese.

Can I get a sitrep on factions?

I've got a version of the map saved from before the spawn area got fucked. Should I export the spawn building to a WorldEdit schematic and post it somewhere?

Fucking x* guy is at it with his magic arrow SMG again.

zxcvb?
he's been griefing and stealing from everyone.

Yeah, him. Can never remember his name.

Could be worse, he could be dating people

I mean, he did type "asl" when he entered the server earlier.

Keep an eye on zxcvb.
He's an admitted attention whore.
He's been griefing an stealing from everyone, and possibly plans to volcano.

That sounds like attempted dating. Admin, you know what you have to do.

I love how volcanoing has just become an established method of griefing at this point.

nah

I like the 4craft version's balance. Power banners but no death banners. Power is removed by player death and too much territory, and when power hits 0, all territories are attackable.

This means that if players are careless they can get killed too much and their base is fucked. But also they need to watch out for internal subversion from spies.

You could also make one flag per territory claimed, and force them to be above sea level.

This also means land can't get attacked if nobody is online - but their land gets unprotected in a week of inactivity

Okay so what exactly am i supposed to do?

lol
you click on client

thanks

Thanks. Remember to report all suspicious movements and activities.
watch your neighbours

The one problem this has, is that you can just wall in in your base and no one kills you. That's what happened last time I play on a server and I was part of the cowards. That's why the death banners were a thing.

Yeah, I was aware of that bug, but thank you for providing a very easy method for solving it!

True, that's what happened when Holla Forums fought /tg/ on 4craft: we all waited for an hour while they huddled underneath their fortress.

What if you need to place death banners on your land - an equal amount to your enemy's power banners. You then use those death banners to enact war against a specific faction.

Then the server outputs both faction coordinates, and then both factions can damage each other's land.

Since death banners can now only be placed on faction land, the defending side can just stroll up to the opposing faction, remove those banners, and then suddenly only the opposing faction is unprotected.

This does three things:

1. Defending side has the advantage, which should always be the case.

2. You can still attack a faction, but you will need to spend a lot of time and resources. Too many for some fuckhead to accomplish.

3. You can only attack one faction at a time. (of course, allies could be included at a later date)

I think this could be a good idea.

actually. I really like this mob pack.

You don't have to write a manual, a bullet list of concepts would probably be simpler and more useful. Something like:

- Factions are groups that are created by players and can claim territory.
- Claiming territory requires faction power.
- Claiming territory protects all blocks within parcel area (specify dimensions here).
- Power regenerates over time, 0.125 per minute.
- Increase power cap by building power banners.
- When a faction member dies - X power is lost.
- Death banners can be put in enemy territory to bypass enemy land protection.
- Placing a death banner costs 5 power.
- /f help for all commands

This basic info is pretty much everything one has to know to get started, add any points that I may have forgotten about. This could fit in a chat message or a GUI form.

Here are some current bugs off the top of my head:

- Death banners can be picked up and reused after placing them, while the area remains griefable.
- When inventory is full and you pick up a death banner or a power banner (I think a wooden banner too) - they disappear from the world (I assume this is because this item can't be dropped? So it somehow gets removed from the game).
- Using /f unclaim on Wilderness crashes the server
- I haven't tested this but what happens if the whole parcel is occupied by blocks (at least its edges and sides) and there's nowhere to place a death banner? Invulnerable parcel?
- Faction name in HUD sometimes flashes for no apparent reason? Not sure about this one
- Spawn is griefable :^) Simple solution would be to make an admin faction that owns the spawn and hardcode that faction to be unattackable
- FUNK is on a kick-on-sight list. Big flaw

Improvements to current system:

- Parcel coords should be visible next to faction name in HUD, this is very useful if you're planning how to place your banners. Right now you'd need to use /f parcel for this I think
- Change faction's name color to green if current player can build there (Wilderness, own faction) and red if he can't
- To prevent banner hiding abuse, make power banners only placeable in faction territory. Make a default power cap (without banners) for each faction enough to claim at least one parcel so they can put their first banner there.

DELETE THIS!!!!!

You can drop death/power banners, I've done it before.

I'm curious on the render distance of this game.

If I build a tower 10km tall, will I be able to see hundreds of kilometers of the map in every direction? Or does it all get clouded over like it does in Minecraft because none of those chunks are loaded.

the latter

First, you need to increase your render distance quite a bit. Second, all of those chunks must be loaded in memory (which can be achieved by visiting them after loading the game).

Third, it probably won't happen.

So what the fuck is the point of being able to build 30km over the ground? It's the exact same as Minecraft if you can't even see it, unless you're building lolautism massive redstone computers that need to be larger than 256 blocks high, which won't even work because redstone is fucked in Minetest.

Protection.

…from what…?

Main reason would be mods. Look up the first posts of this thread, there is a mod that adds planets over +2000.

That's just because it can't properly load other dimensions so you have to have them all in the same place just really far away. It's just like NES games where you can sequence break by glitching through a wall in one stage and walking through the void to a different stage you shouldn't be able to get to normally.

That's a limitation of the world, not anything "good". Everyone talks about Minetest being a giant cube as being one of many reasons making it better than Minecraft, but so far I've seen literally nothing that makes this game better except for the fact that it's so underground it's not flooded with screaming 10-year-olds. That's like security by obscurity.

I have a few questions.

I can answer the first one. Just press F9 to pull up a minimap.

You can also bring up the coordinates by pressing F5.

Unless you meant an actual, full map, in which case I have no idea.

from epic memers :^)

The minimap is a useful tip but yeah I'm referring to a full map of the server.

And Minecrap's grid-based 256 blocks tall chunks are also an "engine limitation" and nobody complains about that. It's true that we need a dimensions support for certain types of dimensions, but you don't know how satisfying it is to reach the Nether simply by digging down.

Basically, you are arguing that Minecraft is superior because it has loading screens. That's stupid.

Technic includes these things called frames and frame motors, which allow for moving airships, doors/gates, submarines made of blocks, etc. They won't try and move the whole world, don't worry; The frames only move the blocks adjacent to them. The reason we can't use it right now is, it's disabled by default. I suggest we enable it, it seems like a load of fun.

To enable, "enable_frames = true" in technic.conf.

What do people think? All in favour, say aye?

I'd actually really like to see dynamic level-of-detail added to mapgen in minetest. Basically for nearby chunks they would be generated and rendered in full detail, but for further away ones they would be generated using a different, faster function which just returned a single texture for the whole 16x16x16 cube. At even longer distances it could start grouping those chunks together into even larger units.

If it was implemented properly it could in theory give you tens of km of view distance. The only problem would be making the low-resolution mapgen code run fast enough.

aye

WE NEED THIS

+1

To do that, you'd need to split rendering from block data loading, at least for the low-res chunks. I like the idea, though.

For the furthest-away chunks, you could just do it based on biome and average chunk surface height, right? A plains biome will be this shade of green, an ocean biome will be blue… I'm really liking the sound of it, but it also seems like it would be a load of work depending on how well the proc-gen is coded. If you could generate some variables of chunks while leaving others blank, you might be able to do some cool stuff with it; Have different algorithms for different chunk variables. So, as you approach a chunk, first you gen the biome using whatever method that's decided with, then you gen a 'big block' version that uses, well, bigger blocks (or just vague shapes based on the noise algorithm, to whatever fidelity is quick) and as you get closer, the frequency of the noise gets higher till you pass a limit and the chunks are rendered in normal blocks. And maybe noise data could also be block data; You only generate each 16th block to start with, but that stays stored, so that block doesn't have to be generated from the noise algorithm again as you get closer.

I think you might have something here. Are you a programmer?

Yeah, at the lowest resolution it would just use biome and terrain height. The biggest problem would be things like trees and player constructions. Maybe it could guess tree coverage based on biome and modify the color appropriately. Another thing which would improve accuracy would be to store a low-res version of each chunk whenever it is first generated or later modified by a player. That way it could accurately show player-made structures.

I am a hobbyist programmer, but I'm not very good with C++. I don't think I'd be able to do a good job of implementing this in Minetest.

Also any mods which changed mapgen would have to add extra functions for low-res generation.

Less robot fights and more automated tunnel bores cutting big holes through your base.

Aye, robot fights when?

HOLY SHIT.

fucking do it. +1

Even better:

In some way, it's like implementing mixel voxels, but luckily they are far away so they won't look so bad.

You would have to perform some substantial modifications to the rendering parts, but it should be relatively easy.

Implementing a client command to retrieve several chunks at once from the server would also help compression and reduce bandwidth. Implement another command to retrieve the "color" of a chunk and you can potentially increase render distance a fucking lot while also reducing pretty resource consumption on almost all aspects (memory, GPU load, network). That said, client-server communication is so minimal I suspect they want to keep it dumb on purpose.

Maybe I am just rambling at this point, but compression should be fucking implemented right now. There is no reason not to, it's probably four lines away using the correct library.

P.S: implement motherfucking compression

Aye, but modify the recipe so it's not this fucking easy to build one.

Fucking this. building a flying war machine should feel like an accomplishment

Does anyone know if the motor needs electricity? If not, it should. Immobilising something by taking out its power supply? Great. Would balance flying machines, too- you'd need to cram power generation/storage on to one of these things- while leaving gates and doors in bases easy and cheap, because the motor doesn't move, so you can just hook it up to your mains.

I've been searching for hours and haven't found a single rubber tree.

for all new players

Happened to me on another server, but there are some close to spawn here.

Oh shit.

That would be amazing.

what the fuck

What are the coords of spawn?

Nevermind I found some, thanks.

0 0

I never thought I'd miss the days when using the internet made you a fucking nerd and social outcast that everyone hated. Can we go back to days of web1.0 and never giving out personal information because of spooky predators?

No.

Enjoy being unable to get a job unless you allow everyone to see an empty facebook account you just made to please your normalfag employers.

frames are broken and allow node duplication hax

the technic manual is here

For the guy who requested it

Given that they weren't enabled by default, I sorta figured that was the case.

And you're arguing that Minetest is superior because it has a larger number, representing a space that can't be reliably used or seen. Kind of like 18 quintillion planets when you put it like that.

And the loading screens between dimensions in Minecraft takes less than a second if your computer doesn't suck.

Thanks!

So are Nuclear Reactors worth it? I'm starting to Quarry and I
m wondering if it would just be easier to have a shitload of HV solar panels.

Are there any worthwhile texture packs out there?

Here's a nice little mod that could be added, if only for the novelty of having casinos and gambling.
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9470

Nuclear reactors run day and night, and you will spend more materials on HV solars to get the same output. Only issue with nuclear is the distribution of uranium is uneven, so your supply might not be stable. But one set of fuel lasts a long time, so you can probably get enough uranium to sustain it.

It can be used, you just won't see the tip of your autistic 10km tall (did you seriously plan on building such a monstruosity?) tower.

By the way, last time I tried building a tall tower in Minecraft, it didn't show the tip.

Anyway, assuming "it's just a number", why is Minecrap's horizontal world generation "infinite"? That's not good, it should be much smaller because smaller numbers are better.

People have reached y = -5000 on our server already. Vertical space is definitely used. Honestly, I am not sure if I what I am seeing is babby duck syndrome, Microsoft shilling or simply trolling. You are like those people who argued against Telegram's user group limit being higher than WhatsApp's because they personally wouldn't use it

Ad hominem.

I already mentioned that, and you admit that it's the same.

Putting words in my mouth.

More ad hominem.

And a nice strawman to top it off

So are you going to tell me why a 30km cube is better than 256m y and functionally infinite x and z, other than "you can dig really far!", or just continue being an asshole?

You're not alone in noticing, but good luck ever getting them to admit it.

Oh, so you are that autist. Good job ignoring my arguments, tho.

You need lots of power and time to run centrifuges and if you don't have 35 of them with filter tubes you have to do at least part of it manually. You also need 96 stainless steel blocks and 216 blast resistant concrete blocks. You can't move it once you start it up, so you have to make run a cable to wherever your quarries are. It produces 400 times as much as an HV solar panel though.

You didn't have any arguments, just insults and le ebin memespeak.

I'll ask again: what is the actual use of a large amount of vertical space that allows for things a large amount of horizontal space cannot?

It's not a 30km cube, it's a 62km cube. That's more surface area than Rhode Island.

Mines, caves, and towers

You probably won't build a 32k tower, but you still might build a 1000 or 2000 node tower

You can also have taller terrain with bigger vertical space (though again it probably won't use the full 32k of upward space)

It allows for different ores with at different depths, and multiple underground and sky/space biomes.

Interesting, if highly vague.

So what's the focus of this game, anyway? Multiplayer cooperative/PvP? Because what I'm really looking for is something that is mostly about solitary building and exploration. As I said, it doesn't make a difference how high I can build stuff if I can't see anything taller than ~100 blocks in either Minecraft or Minetest.

I like the idea of having different ore depths in theory, but in practice I don't like the idea of having to dig straight down for two hours to get what I'm looking for.

Any way to get my chunks to load better? Seems to be struggling

Eat more fiber.

You can increase the render distance to see higher up though. But another issue is that the higher chunks might not have been loaded by the client, to do this you'll either have to go up there (to get them cached) or have the server set a higher load distance.

What if my chunks are red and liquidy

Panic

One idea I had was a custom mapgen which generated a world made of small outcrops and caves in the face of a giant 64 km high cliff. Rather than above ground and below ground you'd have inside the cliff and outside the cliff.

Alternatively the map could consist of a ground level at ~20k and islands of higher terrain at ~40k, with 20k high cliffs between them.

Either way it would lead to some very interesting base designs and strategies.

Sounds cool

the serber is having some problem it seems

Are there any rubber trees anywhere?
Apparently they only spawn on default:grass, but that's been replaced with a different kind of grass by one of the mods.

I can sell you some saplings

I think they also spawn in Ethereal green dirt. However, they were bugged and admin simply had to give some sapplings to people so they could plant them. Ask him for some or get around the spawn, since it's where most people decided to plant them.

Thanks. I'll try to get some when I log back on tomorrow.

looks like you implemented the fractional random thing, thanks nosrick

what am I doing with my life

Wheres the computer with 136GB of dolphin porn?

What's the reference I'm missing here?

Go home newfag.

filename

I understand something something dolphin rape but I'm not familiar with the "dolphin rape cave" or why you would want to recreate it in Minetest.

You're a special type of faggot user

to let people know you mean business

One last time, hopefully clear enough: what is the connection between nonconsensual cetacean sex and the particular configuration of tismblox depicted in the screenshots above?

none, you sperg

What biome does everyone have their base in?

Jungle.

You don't even need saplings for renewable rubber, just wait for the drained logs to regenerate

Nosrick are you going to add global enchantments?

What do you mean "loli" in that thumbnail she looks like a teena—

Jesus Christ, what?? She's like in kindergarten. Don't you seriously have to be 13 to join youtube?

Don't even sell the logs then

700 year old dragon retiring from burning cottages and settling down to play video games

Yes.

God, you'd never find caves like this in minecrap

How the hell do I make this thing budge?

You have to put frames (the ones used in the construction of the frame motor) on top of the engine, then everything those frames are touching will move including the engine itself if it's framed from one of the sides

Which flag is more suitable for a Communist state in Switzerland?

does it move you along with it, or do you need to walk while it just teleports little by little?

First one looks almost like a nazi flag suitable for Switzerland after all, second one looks like a cheap Korean ripoff. Third one is probably the best flag, although green looks weird.

By the way, we need a Green Is My Pepper mod.

From what I've seen, if you put a wall behind you it'll push you.

Middle one looks dank

Upcoming Master of Magic features:
Mana nodes generated in the world!
Harvestable mana crystals!
Craftable crystal clusters to increase your mana!

Just as soon as I can get it to stop running out of memory.

The wizard tower(s) rises.

Looks p eastern bloc fam

Master of Magic update!
Be sure to pull the repo.

Add some chaos spells

That's actually what I'm about to work on.

If the magic system isn't turing complete you haven't made it sufficiently powerful.

Nah, it won't be turing complete. It's based on Master of Magic, a 1993 DOS 4X game.

I don't know how did you manage to break my iron chest and two blocks of my house, but fuck you.

How does one go about claiming an area?

I'd like to build a proper base above ground, but any significant infrastructure risks getting attacked and destroyed.

First, you need to be in a faction (duh). Second, you must be either faction owner or moderator. Third, you must build power banners to increase your power. Once you have placed them, you have to wait for a bit.

After that, write /f claim in the parcel you want to capture. Keep in mind very deep and very high heights can't be protected no matter what, so watch out.

StrawBoy is a confirmed griefer

Another Master of Magic update!
This time with a nicer spell research selection GUI.

Not only that. He also speedhaxes and uses an undisclosed exploit to destroy chests with expensive stuff on them.

If you see StrawBoy, kill him on sight.

wew nigger, I want to suck your dick.

Is there something I an do to actually make it so shit will render from far away? Seeing a blank empty space from less than 60 blocks away not being able to exist simply because I haven't explored there yet is pretty fucking annoying. Even if I turn full view distance off I see it through the fog.

no because you're not changing the server's render distance

the server will only load so many chunks around a player to conserve on memory, same thing with minecraft

Well I'm playing singleplayer. Can I still not do anything?

Or, better yet, pay him to protect you.

Welp, I give up on the server until admin gets back to fix it up.

I was working on some moving frames and shit, when I guess admin deleted them all.

the whole ship I was making is gone, except for some of the test objects, like templates and stuff,

But there's this one block that looks like human legs in my garden, that crashes the fucking server each time I look at them.

I think that block used to be a frame?

what user are you?

Anonyma. I was trying to see if I could move the entire floating wizard tower, and now there's legs,

shit is wierd

github.com/minetest/minetest/blob/master/minetest.conf.example
max_block_generate_distance
and viewing_range are the things you want to change

legs

Your kegs are broken.

Actually, that's a player hand. Shit's the weirdest thing I have seen so far.

How to dupe?

Well the conf file only had a few lines but the .example file has the max_block_generate_distance and much more so I set it to 16 and renamed the file to .conf (I backed up the original) but no luck.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

did you change viewing range as well?

Nothing in either file has anything with that. But I can set the view range to max by pushing R anyway. The problem is the blocks not generating.

then maybe ask on the minetest irc, since i'm no expert on the subject

Whats with all the crashes

serb couldn't handle the memese

I never said it was petra or FUNK, though I suspect it still. But they're still not innocent

whoops, should have cropped that video. disable node breakers please

Everything is a fucking hugbox. Do you want to spend time with people who hate you? I sure do, that's why I'm on Holla Forums.

crash "feature" is fixed now

Holla Forums is the ultimate fugbox tbqh desu famalam

I just got banned for having an alt account, is that against the rules?

Claims go down to -512 and up to the map ceiling, 31000

nevermind, looks like a misunderstanding

He thought I meant an alt of you when I said it was an alt

legs moved

rip serber

So, how easy is it to import your own skin?

For multiplayer? Impossible unless admin vult. For singleplayer it's as easy as changing that png file from the texture pack

what the fug

Well, shit… How am I supposed to sate my autistic vanity?

Add this mod
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?t=12842

GOOD SKINS WHEN?
I want muh MGS skins

bug admin to add your skin

Eh, it sounds like more of a hassle.

Unless we can weaponize cancer, that is.

meant this for this:

Your legs are okay. Also, serber is back

So zxcb is spawn camping me and there's literally nothing I can do and the room is filed with zombies.

DONT YOU DARE FUN SHAME HIM

Is serb ded?

How the fuck do banners work also where do you find zinc?

you get zinc by mining and not sucking

Nice coords
o o \ /\__/

fugg

New map of the regions around the spawn

I put the MoM mod into single player but for some reason nothing shows up in the crafting list. What gives?

Nigger I have hit uranium and not found any zinc.

How the fuck cant you find zinc? It's literally everywhere at -200

depends on the area
some area are extremely poor in zinc, then you tumble across a lot of it, then not

Weird ive never run into that problem ever. I just follow the cave systems down below and see it constantly.

I keep getting connection timed out, anyone else ?

Yep. server is fucking rip

I don't know what happened. It appears to be up though.

dead again

okay

I think I maximized my grow-op

Needs new thread ASAP tbh