Nioh Beta Demo thread 2

Old thred almost ded on page 15.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hattori_Hanzō
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(sailor)
web.archive.org/web/20120104155012/http:/www.next-gen.biz/reviews/doom-review
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

PC version?

That Bat lady is a huge pain.

I can't beat the monster girl boss on twilight difficulty. I kill the little minion guy first then die 10 seconds later. She keeps stun locking me to death over and over.

I'm gonna hate fuck the qt monster girl corpse when I finally beat her again.

I pity you user.

I can't tell if the dodge has invincibility at all or if I just need to not just git gud, but get gr8.

So is it much improved over the alpha?

I'm just wondering if playing for up to two weeks of alpha and beta can burn you out for the actual game.

how the heck do you use your ninja skills, i can't find anything about it in the controls

ah wait i got it, have to equip them as shortcut items from a shrine

If the recent events have shown anything many games announced PS4 only eventually went to PC.

NeIR automatic, ED 4.1 etc.

Way overhyped, honestly.

I feel that when the full release rolls around, most are going to feel burnt by their hype.

How is it overhyped? Nobody is saying it's the second coming of Christ, and people are already playing it and having fun.

So is it possible to have multiple saves? Kinda want to start over with a new character but don't want to save over my current progress.

It honestly feels like I'm playing Demon's Souls or Onimusha again. I really hope it turns out well. Saying that, It's hard for me to be hyped for any game these days. I think that's a good thing though. It saves me more money.

overhyped doesn't seem like the word, its been under serious scrutiny since the first trailer

The only thing that worries me is the shrine spirits you find in the levels. The density you find them in just the 1st level, and how much that unlocks makes me think that the final game might be pretty short. Or there's a lot more blessings that weren't in the demo that Team Ninja are holding back for the final release. Same with weapon skills, too.

The performance improvement from the Alpha to the Beta keeps me optimistic about the game.

Loving it so far. In a generation where every fucking game gets downgraded to hell this is actually a game where we wento from alpha to beta and it just keeps improving.

Nice difficulty, complex but rewarding controls, great designs, and works pretty well. They even let you to decide if getting high fps over resolution, or get higher resolution with less fps.

Just today I managed to beat Tachibana, that was fucking hard, but it's a great feeling how he basically rapes you in the first try and little by little you git gud and end winning by skill alone.

Posted this webm in the last thread, but I wasn't satisfied with the color in the end frame, so I changed it slightly if anyone cares.

Spear, mid-stance, and dodge around the enemy while poking them in circles. You can also follow up the thrust with Square (which does a slash; good for groups of enemies), or Triangle for even more thrusts.

High stance dodge attack is also pretty good, and the dodge recovers Ki.

Weird, didn't do that in another thread. Can't be helped I guess.

something i haven't figured out is what's the deal with demons stamina bars, you can't get a "grapple" on them when they're in the red so what purpose does it serve?

When they run out of stamina, every hit staggers them, so you can switch to low stance and stun lock them to death.

Yes.

You can stunlock them with any attack when they're out of stamina.

ah thanks for the info m8s

i was wondering if low stance was any good anymore since high stance seems to get the dodge ki restore now

The fuck is that thing.

And where is that to be continued music and logo from? JoJo?

I've always thought that using anything other than a sword in these types of games is like cheating and boring. Never used nothing but swords in Souls games, spears especially feel like cheating.

Theoretically, low stance is good for weaker enemies, especially when they're laying on the floor or in tight spaces, while other attacks tend to whiff or bounce off of walls (on top of consuming more Ki). It also has a few exclusive abilities, like jumping over an enemy with the spear (forward+X at the end of a combo), or the jumping attack with the katana. Also, I think it has the superior dodge; it seems to be quicker and cover more distance.

it has guard dodge too, which is tigher and covers less distance to get to enemy sides

GIVE US STEAM VERSION!!!

Yes.

All the articles that reference Nioh say that it is coming to the west exclusively to the PS4. Which is a strange thing to say since it implies that it will be on other platforms elsewhere.

kinda glad this game doesn't have messages like souls cuz i actually had to guess based off the developer grave near it

Progressing in this game is much easier now that I know that A: Living Weapons are stronk as fuck, and B: the Hawk guardian has Usain-tier charging speed.

I hate it when you kill the boss then a grunt kills you and you fail to go back and get your kei or whatever it's called.

Damn it man.

Jesus Christ the big oni boss thing took me like 90 tries to kill.

Which one?

How do you even use the guardians? In remember in the alpha I never got it to work, but saw videos of someone using the shark as a power boost against the 2md boss of alpha.

Circle+Triangle

But how to replenish the bar for summoning it?

The one in the boat.

It charges when you obtain Amrita, I believe. So, kill shit.

Shit, I thought I was doing fairly well, and I haven't even beaten the alpha content yet.

Yea the big boss oni in the boat, that fucker made me his bitch for like 4 hours.

The oni in the boat isn't as scary when you find out the secret

Is the secret that he's more scared of me than I am of him?

Any non-cancerous playthroughs up yet?

Is it that you can't dodge that side sweep chain attack but you can block it or is it that his attack where he throws the balls gets fucked up in co-op and they become reality bending monsters that make physics their bitch?
I didn't have too much trouble with the first boss once I got used to his moveset, it's really easy to bait him into throwing both balls forward and then poking him while he recovers. Swapping to low stance makes his second phase much easier as well.

What do you all think of the magic so far? I haven't used any of it so far but it looks like you have magic and ninjitsu as the two spell casting options and guardian spirits for more passive buffs and the living weapon mode.

God damn the bat lady makes me hard

The Twilight version of the fight is a bit of a pain, only because of the smaller enemies that appear. I hope they remove them and find another way to increase the difficulty of the fight.

Same thing happened to me. I was desperately mashing dodge only see the wall disappear into the ground.

Overall I enjoyed the Beta, it's strange that even though the majority of the mechanics are still in place from the Alpha, the game feels so much easier in the Beta. In the Alpha, fighting 2 or 3 enemies was a bad idea, but it's a lot more manageable in the Beta.

Is it Alma from NG level?

*tier

Sorry my English sucks today

Since the Japs said it was too difficult did it get casualized?

It's easier, but still harder than most games.

Nah, it's a lot more tame. Overall 3 enemies appear one at a time round 80, 60, 40% of her HP. It's just annoying and kinda a cop out way to increase difficulty.

Although saying that, NG didn't have stamina and gave you the tools to deal with multiple enemies (i-frames on Ultimate Techniques etc). With Nioh, you really have to use hit-run tactics cause you can get caught in a block string quite easily from multiple enemies, which will lead to 0 stamina and then death.

I've heard very mixed opinions off-site. Pretty much the only real exclusive left I have any interest in after Automata got a PC release confirmed, not enough to warrant purchasing the system though. Guess I'll just play DaS3 soon instead.

The one in the house before the boat.

There's also gravity Rush 2

I bought my PS4 exclusively for Yakuza 0

Never played the first, been meaning to get around to it since the sequel's announcement. Really doesn't look like something I'd buy the system for though. I'm going to wait and see what the 4.5 is like at the very least, hear they're finally giving some details on the 7th.

It seems a bit easier but the changes didn't ruin it.

From what I can tell the people who don't like it are A: people that dislike the Souls games and Soulsfags, or B: Soulsfags that are upset that it isn't Souls-like enough. If you like Tecmo stuff you'll like this.

the only aspect i think it should have directly stolen from souls games is weapon pickups and drops instead of the clunky loot system nioh uses

I'm not stalling, I swear

The loot system is wierd, because right now there isn't much use to keeping anything that isn't purple. You can level-up items with the soul matching system, but you can never change an item's quality, and thus, its max familiarity and number of enhancements.

I think the loot system is the way it is to generate lots of vendor trash to sacrifice for amarita and bonus items, or to sell to the blacksmith.

Well that was unexpected

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hattori_Hanzō

So they're just putting names in just to put names in. I mean, I know it's just a historical fantasy about this guy-
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(sailor)
but you'd think they'd keep stuff like that in mind when putting stuff together. Or are they going to say "he's the second man to inherit the name Hattori Hanzo?"

Next you'll say that yokai aren't real.

He's probably a ghost or some shit

I want to take responsibility.

Does anyone know what the different elemental debuffs do?

Fire burns enemies but idk what the other ones accomplish.

Maybe that's just what he wanted everyone to think.

Did you guys face The Wall yet?
Holy fuck.

the first one i did either 'pray' or "sorry' to and it left peacefully, the second one didn't like that so much an attacked, but since he stayed in one place it wasn't tough

Ok the debuff from lightning slows enemy attack speed.

>Use this item to commit harakiri. You will lose everything but retain your honor.
This fucking game! I love it.

There's a second one? Oh, my sweet fuck. The first one already scared me to death.

Something about this seems really cool to me

A samurai would never, ever, ever, ever fight using a harakiri blade.
It's a ritual blade used specifically for harakiri, using it to fight would be completely dishonorable.

we don't need to follow gook rules luckily

I was hoping it was maybe some sort of cursed weapon or maybe a ninja weapon or something but no it's actually just an item used to kill yourself with. Which seems odd since there is already an item that lets you teleport back to a shrine without killing you.

I'm aware. I guess that's why the concept is cool to me. I'd like to see how a manga artist or something would portray the character who fights with one.

one sends you to shrine, other is 'starting point'

Well, in the game, you just find it because the dead woman in the cave preferred death to dishonor.
You're not required to use or whatever.

This motherfucker is apparently doing a naked run. I hope there is actually a fishing rod in the game for him to equip at some point.

That's an NPC one.
if the name's in red it's an set NPC grave

beat the bat lady, took a few more tries than i would like to admit because i'd eat shit on her grab move which seems to have a slightly longer hit box than her arms length

not a great fight, mostly just baiting and rolling back with high stance

gonna run through and find the kodama i missed and play with dual swords a bit before tackling twilight

despite my gripes with the game like the stats and menus being wonky, these demos have really sold me on the game

How does Twilight work?

seems to be just hard mode versions of the missions

I found her way easier than the first boss.

now we're fucking pod racing

The samurai boss is a cheap ass, I expected honorable combat with someone that's evenly matched but the guy is not fun to fight.

you gotta switch stances like a motherfucker, low stance to dodge his rushes, then mid to counter, then back to low

So I finally finished all available missions. This is a pretty gr8 game, though admittedly only if you have the free time or patience to level grind obscenely or suicide run the bosses for three hours to memorize their tells.

I still have a couple of questions; does anyone kniw how to open the Hidden Teahouse in the overworld map? It can't be completely cut out if it's visible, the shrine has a couple of options that can't be accessed in the menu, but they're unnamed and blacked out.

Also, the overworld and Kodama Blessing screen shows there are 25 possible Kodama to pick up, but there's only fifteen to be found in the two main missions. What gives?

Also, fuck Kappas, they are such bullshit.

how'd you go about beating the samurai boss?

Cheese him with the rock to your left in his arena, pick your attacks VERY carefully.

Bait hit attacks and hit him in the back with a carnage talisman and no armor on

I use poison.

anyone got some opinions on builds? do guardians offer enough utility to justify lvling spirits?

i tried messing with jutsu on top of sword skills, some of the passives are useful but the tools themselves don't seem fantastic, exploding shuriken is fun though

AWAKEN MY MASTERS!

i beat him "fair" but it was pretty grueling, till figured its smart to backpedal from his charges than go for low stance dodges

not that low stance dodges are bad, but backpedaling saves stamina and is safer, with only a slightly larger punishment window. and you can counter his "normals' for lack of a better word

It's the slow reps, not the fast reps that count, user.

i like the upped enemy aggressiveness, but fighting in the tall grass along with the twilight color pallet makes keeping tabs on the enemies pretty tough

It means it'll also be coming to win10 in Hell.

I'm not exactly what you would call a "master strategist", but here's some general tips for all three bosses:

Onryoki: you want to get him to his second phase ASAP, his first is more dangerous because of how fucky and cheap the hit boxes and timing on his chain sweeps are. Bait his overhead slam and blitz him from behind with Living Weapon. In stage two his bare hand swipes are short range and decently telegraph, you should be able to circles trade him easy if you just remember to don't get greedy. Also, his ball throw has a slight cast to the right, so always dodge to the left when he brings his hand up.

Hino-Emma: level up, put points in dexterity and magic, and buy the Jutsu that gives Paralysis resistance (the Resistance Talisman for Magic and one of the pills with the untranslated name for Ninja) take them preemptively before you jump of the ledge. Keep you distance from her at all times. She always grunts when she's winding up her wind attack, listen for it and be ready to dodge.

Tachibana: THIS BITCH. Don't try to dodge backwards, his lunges extend too far. Don't try to block, his regular attacks eat too much of your stamina per hit and his combos are too fast, you get stun locked and winded. He also has a lightning element iaijutsu attack that is unblockable, has literally less than a second of telegraphing, and he spams it constantly if you meet him head on. Always be running from him, the more distance you can maintain the better. Eventually he'll start dashing to catch up and doing a power slash attack that eats up his stamina gauge, that's your opening to switch to low stance and put the pressure on him to keep him from regaining his breath. Get him winded to do a takedown strike and follow up with free hits while he's on the ground. Poke-and-roll tactics are effective on the Yokai, but take too long on strong human enemies and let them rebuild their stamina reserves, and letting the fight drag on with Tachibana or giving him room to recover is suicide.

4. And of course, if all else fails, level grind like a bitch. I myself was always at least ten levels above the recommended mission level by the time I finally put down the boss of it for the first time.

Ritual suicide can be more useful than you might think.

If they really want to make only a limited number of Twilight missions open at a time, they really need to find a better way to cycle them than swapping them every 24 hours. It's arbitrary as fuck, puts your progress on a blue-balling halt, and presumes too much of my free time schedule and personal tolerance for bullfuckery. Day-locked content should only ever be stuff like reward items or special-interest extra zones, not the goddamn core replay and further challenge options.

**circlestrafe

you can dodge straight through it as well if you get the timing right

How much of a gay weeb am I? Seriously though, what's everybody rolling with? I posted this last thread, but I'm rolling with the above-mentioned armor, Raikiri, and Raiken.

I haven't beat it yet, so my equipment it always being upgraded. But I'm using an axe with heavy armor.

I haven't used co-op yet, I might try it out once I've finished.

I finally assembled a full set of Archer Gear.
…Bat Bitch is going to fuck me in the mouth isn't she?

How do you get that?

AFAIK, it only drops from Tachibana, the boss in the sub-mission that opens up after beating the cave.

What said, but I'm pretty sure I got some doing twilight missions. Actually, I'm positive I got the torso and legs from the corpse of a resurrected player phantom on the Isle level.

Wait, so that player would have gotten it from the last boss anyways. Disregard. I'm retarded.

I haven't done any twilight missions yet so I was mostly making an educated guess. I only just beat the cave before I decided to stop for the night.

Can you get the gear the ninja wear in the first sub-mission?

I want to know this as well.

how long does the beta last for?

Till Sep 6th.

damn, that's it?

It's a pretty long time, actually. Titanfall 2, for example, had one that only lasted a weekend.

Are there more rewards other than killing the troll thing and the bat oni

Well, it launched on the 23rd, two weeks is actually a pretty decent length demo period, even accounting for the fact that some of the content is day-locked.

so is ee-ayyyy OP or is it a skillful skil that only real men play?

Man that batlady fight got easy when you release you could just dash through paralysis bomb.

I beated him yesterday, here a video. He only hits me a few times.

At the end is keeping distance, switching stances like a motherfucker and fucking up his stamina.

Oh and wearing light armor against him is a good idea, especially considering how he uses lightning that makes you slower and can basically fuck you up with any attack if you don't evade fast.

I don't think so. I didn't get anything after beating the samurai boss. Don't forget to redeem them though.

Haven't seen anything, but there were some pieces that looked like something a ninja would wear. Why would you want to look like some faggy noneja over honurabu samurai anyways?

Also how do you unlock the teahouse? Did you have to be part of the alpha? What is it?

is there any reason to not wear light armor in this game? mobility seems outright superior in this game

I think so too. Ki is so important in this game that learning to absorb your Ki after attacking and keeping it high to avoid the punish is essential. You are fucked if you get hit with low Ki and no matter how high your defense is, the damage for a punish after losing your Ki is just too high.

Wearing light armor to improve your Ki recovery is so much important. I hope they fix it before the final game releases.

Actually what I'd really like is a monk armor set.

I don't think so. Haven't got all the way through so I don't know all the ins and outs of everything.

If you do get caught in an impromptu buttfucking heavy armor will let you absorb one or two extra hits before an Oni slides effortlessly between your cheeks. Ideally though you should just avoid getting hit.

How do you level the protective spirits

Twilight cycles every 24 hours, it seems, and it looks like they plan to make it so that there's always a main mission and a sub mission twilight mode available. This is a good thing, because it causes people to concentrate co-op efforts on the hardmode of the day missions.

On release, they may make it so that more missions are available in twilight, or some kind of interactivity between when twilight switches like when a certain amount of people in the region beat a level, it changes. I'd imagine each (in-game) region has its own pool of available twilight zones; the one featured in both demos is the Kyushu region.

I think you can't, since it's a Beta and all that.

I am just swapping my armour to whatever has good defense for low weight right now so I have all kinds of pieces on me. I've been using dual swords and a spear as my main weapons though, the dual swords are pretty neat and this is one of the few games to make the spear a fun and viable option. I'm probably going to swap to the main katana in the actual game though and might try increasing spirit for more guardian fun.

What's the main difference between the katana and dual tachi? As far as I can tell it's that the katana is more focused on countering while the dual tachi are a bit faster and scale with a different stat. Both the katana and spear seem to scale with either the ki skill or life skill but those stats don't increase their damage as much as skill does for the dual tachi. I'm guessing they are the preferred weapons for a magic or ninjitsu focused build since you don't have to level up a different stat for them but pure physical runs will likely want to use either the axe or dual tachi and level up the pure combat stats.

Dual swords are my fave now. In the alpha I used spear and single sword, but the dual wielding skills convinced me.
In particular, the 'water sword' one lets you mash Triangle while holding L1 to unleash a ridiculous amount of hits. I found it very useful against Onryoki 2nd phase - simply wait until he does the double swing followed by a belly slam. When he's on the floor, water sword spam deals lots of damage and you still have time to dodge when he gets up. Coupled with attack+ pills and/or defense- magic you can finish him even faster.

And yes, the single katana is more balanced and you can parry/counter with it. Dual swords are almost fully offense based.

As for regular enemies, I find it effective to use a quick low stance combo of weak but fast hits followed with a stance change to high using the jump slash.

Spears are fun too, the monkey jump is quite useful to get on an enemy's back and do some backstabbing.

Really fun game, but it's too easy. I solo'd every mission only using high stance and never needed to switch. I'm going back through now and getting good at switching with ki pulse and using all the skills, but it's disappointing that the game is easy enough that you're never forced into learning advanced techniques. Very fun though.

Here's some stuff I discovered while playing:
-The only stats worth getting are spirit, magic, and skill. Spirit is completely broken. There is a modifier that adds spirit scaling to a weapon's damage. With B- scaling(the lowest I've found) you get more damage than the weapon types respective stat. So a hammer with spirit scaling gets more damage from Spirit than Strength. This means you can use EVERY weapon more effectively than someone specializing into a single weapon type. There's also a stat on the charms that gives you defense that scales with spirit.
-The rarity color indicates how many modifiers the equipment has, but all pieces can rarely have an additional ability(both armor and weapons). Pick up every purple you find. Purple equipment with an extra ability are the BEST possible items you can get. The abilities/level don't matter. You can always reforge.

I got a chest piece of a set that was definitely ninja armor. I sold it so I can't post a picture, but it exists. There are ninja enemies in a side mission, so maybe farming them might get you the set.

You are able to get spirit scaling from reforging?

I'm guessing that you don't. Farther into the game you will probably find new higher level spirits. If you don't level spirit, you won't be able to effectively use the stronger spirits.

The UI for selecting the spirit is rather large. There's plenty of space left over after getting the level one spirit for every element. The extra room probably means more spirits.

Yes, and you can get spirit scaling and elemental damage on the same weapon.

How long before someone does a wooden sword run?

I was about to. Should I use soulforging or keep it level one?

I'd say soulforge it, keeping it at level 1 is just going to make it tedious later on when you take 2 hours to kill something.

I've done over 100 weapon reforges and never saw it.

I'm really not looking forward to doing that for every weapon I want to use.

I'm fairly certain that abilities only show up in certain slots. I've only gotten spirit scaling in the first slot, and the extra sixth slot on a purple weapon.

Just tried about 10 reforges in the first slot and got the agility scaling twice which I had never seen before using the 2-5 slots.

it'll stay like this or get easier user, the survey they did for the last beta had people whining about difficulty a fuckton, and i can only imagine people will do it this time as well.

I'm sold, whither do I throw my money?
Also, is there a Twilight version of the second sub-mission? I'm done with normal/Twilight for the two main and the first sub missions, is there anything to do after that?

Does elemental damage on weapons have tangible effects other than damage, or is my mind just playing tricks on me? It seems like thunder slows down enemies, wind makes you attack faster, and fire does damage over time, etc.

They say the missions change daily but I think they change randomly when you finish a mission. I finished the third on normal then twilight appeared I don't know if it's condense with the daily change.

You also get a lot of healing items. I hope higher level missions will e harder or I will drop the game. It's fun but oni are too stupid and boring to fight.

asking again, is this game cuhrayzee?

it certainly doesn't have big air combos or a style meter if that's what you're asking

No.

The only thing to do is to wait for the game's release.

I don't think that's the issue. The other three missions got a "Twilight" info tab after I finished the second main mission. The duel sub-mission doesn't seem to have one.
Also, is there any reward for finding all kodama?

I agree, Spirit scaling is ridiculous.
Magic gives you Border Talismans and weapon buffs, along with some neat passives, and Skill gives you ridiculously powerful explosives and disengagement tools. The "main" stats should only be raised to meet minimum requirements.
Reforging (and the Soul transfer thingy) kind of messes with the loot concept, but I like it, since that means a piece of equipment you're fond of stays longer with you. Now, if only they'd introduce familiarity with armor.

Something that struck me as useful is the sound emitted by the ranged weapons; specifically, the matchlock rifle and the cannon can pull enemies in the vicinity when used.
Regarding the rifle, the range is somewhat small. However, the sound traverses through walls, so if you need to pull a very specific enemy behind one, just stand next to it and pull the trigger.
The cannon, however, alerts enemies in a large radius, about 2/3 of your default compass. It even triggers Oni that hide in the Youkai realm to appear. Useful to rouse those pesky skeleton soldiers (which sharkbro, afaik, doesn't detect while inactive), gather enemies in a bottleneck, or have them fall to environmental hazards. Very useful in the second half of the first mission's Twilight mode.

No really. The game favours a slow and methodical approach, and the quicker a fight is over, the better. Blocking an attack is also almost always the better option.
The closest thing I've experienced is Low Stance Katana fights, which go Attack String/Weapon debuff buildup -> Ki Blast into Iai stance -> Iai lounge.
The Dual Blades might be more up your alley, looking at the skill previews, I haven't used them though.
Regarding complexity, while normal enemies don't really require special tactics (but have a high amount of "look out for this move"…s), mastering stance dance to get access to other specials in fights with bigger enemies or to adapt to new situations (e.g. adds) is quite useful. Medium Stance Katana also requires quite a bit of muscle memory.

When I was playing last night I noticed that if you get close enough to one while it's inactive, you can perform the "triangle attack on a downed enemy" on them.

Not so much right now but I hope in the full release we'll at least get some really ridiculous helmets. Even better if they include a full set of Tengu equipment.

Is there a good place to get salt anywhere?

Also, do the yokai realm areas reset if you leave an area?

A few questions.
1. Do One eyed Oni have the same item and amarita drops in their child state as in their giant state?
2. What do you have to do to encounter the kappa at the bottom of the caves?
3. What's the point of the Yokai water pot?

Everything resets even the treasure chests/corpses. Although some chests/corpses only give specific items one time so you can't farm the items that give skill points.

2. Kappa will spawn once per area load, that means if you meet it and it flees, its gone.
3. The Yokai water pot is a pvp I item I believe, unless the player will somehow get access to yokai ki at some point.

How the fuck do I even get that mission as a twilight mission? I've done everything else, the main and sub mission in both normal and twilight. I also fought Muneshige (fucking sick fight), but nothing on the second main mission. It's there, but grayed out. Is it just random from day to day?

Yes they alternate every 24 hours.

Gotcha, thanks

That little bugger better drop something good.

aight thanks, I'll check in tomorrow, then.

No. They drop significantly better loot in their transformed state. No idea about the Amrita, though.

Do you mean like the pseudo bloody grave pvp?

I think they actually steal your amarita to transform. I wonder if they give it back when they're killed?

Speaking of items, does anybody know what the Summoner's Chandle is for?
It says that it's supposed to be used on graves, but it neither works on Bloody Graves nor remains, or even plain grave stones.

Don't you use it after you've died to get your guardian and amrita back without hassle?

I know it will go away soon after the game releases, but the mysterious nature of this game is really appealing to me. I haven't had this much fun learning since Demon's Souls

Oooooooh.

I didn't know that many people bought a PS4.

What does the conch shell do? I didn't want to waste my only one just to find out.

And it works beautifully. Great way to get your buddy back from a boss chamber without losing all your amaretto.

Did they buff the fat demon on the boat? I think I beat him first try in the Alpha but now I can't put a dent in him.

The conch shell makes a loud sound. It can alert enemies in a large radius like the cannon.

It's just a fun item. Use it during co-op to get aggro a bunch of enemies.

Is this how I prep the bull?

Answers your questions.

This dude is fucking amazing.

Wow. And you all said this game wasn't cuhraazy.

Up until now, I've been setting my weapon attributes to favor a certain stance, and the mainly using that one, but watching the way this guy uses stance + weapon changes in combos, I'll be rethinking that strategy.

I feel like I wasted my time going with axes now, all the fun stuff is coming out of katana builds.

Nah, just keep a katana secondary for comboing. Axes are still good for straight damage.

Is your health tied to your attacking in this game?
I've been waiting a while for a game to utilize the concept of ki as a resource to manage for both attack and defense.

Ki is your stamina. If you run out, it stuns you for a second and opens you to damage. You use it for attacking, as well as dodging and blocking.

You can use magic/attributes to make it so you gain Ki on damage, or amarita gain, which is basically the same on gaining on damage.

Getting hit also reduces your Ki.

You never know, he might put up an axe combo video tomorrow and show them to be just as capable of crazy bullshit.

well what he's doing is using ki flux to extend his combos into multiple stances. I don't see any reason why axes can't do the same.

Holy shit, we cleared out all the revenant graves and I got so much amazing stuff.

Revenants tend to give a lot of high-level purples on those twilight missions.

Getting tired of seeing "Unmatched warrior of the west" on every fucking player revenant, we get it you beat the boss and want to show off.

why do devs hate money and flexibility?

Like I said, theres been a recent wave of ps4 exclusives coming out to PC.

Sure but I have my doubts about nioh making it within the decade

Any tips on killing kappa? I can never seem to land enough hits before they get away.

So how viable would a wooden sword playthrough be?

Bear in mind that it can eventually be upgraded through soul match and buffs through ninja/magic would still be available.

I have spent almost the entire game just using high stance with the katanas, not dodging at all, and just outspacing everything.

shame tecmo hates pc

Dateclanbitch

Idk but I'll be trying it after I beat the game. After I do that, I'll be doing a bare fist playthrough

I spent most of the game using High stance - Spears but I just started using Katanas and I think I prefer the low stance with them.

mine currently does 142 damage, i just need more swords to upgrade it with

I sincerely hope that there's real support for a hand-to-hand fighting style. The fact that there's a ninja skill that raises your fist damage gives me hope.

Nioh ho

You can get a stat on gloves that increases fist damage by ~15%

There's no Ki abilities using fists. Its super eas bUT slow as hell. Reminds me of dark souls…

With as many oni in Nioh the full game will just have to have kanabo.

Well, there aren't any right now. Maybe there are gauntlets or something that give you a different moveset.

Someone actually thought that was a good weapon?

I chuckled sensibly

I see what you mean. It's not very kind on the eyes at all.

The low stance is OP as fuck.

Is anyone experiencing problems with input? It's like if you missing an input, or if you happen to be press an extra button, you can't make anymore inputs until you let go of everything

I don't know about that, but I do sometimes have to press the elixir shortcut a few times before it works

Fighting revenants is easy. You get crazy good gear off of them and they give you good experience. I almost feel like I'm cheating by farming gear off of them

It really is. Being decked out in full Warrior of the West gear at level ~20 is pretty OP.

How good even is that gear? I've heard it mentioned a few times.

Not especially good or bad but it's the easiest purples you can farm and also the highest level.

Does it at least look cool?

Yeah I think so. But everyone wears it so it's not very fashionable.

I like the youngblood set but I can't find purple version of some parts.

It's extremely good for how easy it is to get, and pretty damn good for its weight. I'm pretty sure a Tatenashi armor is better, but it's also heavier. I'm currently trying to get a full set of that and the archer gear.
Accidentally offered the archer headgear that grants unlimited ammo bonus and yumi attack bonus.

I actually haven't found any good armor yet. I've just been getting shitloads of good weapons. That said, I have an armor piece that gives 43 armor, at 2.2 weight with other effects so… if I'll ever beatt that I'd be surprised

There's definitely better armor, but that's definitely really good for its weight assuming it's Do.

Finally got to play the demo, had a lot of fun with it but I noticed I was only really using low and middle stance on the spear and middle and high stance on the katana. Low katana doesn't really seem worth it because it takes so long to kill anything but doesnt have the crowd control usage of low spear and doesn't even reliably stagger the heavier armored samurai. High spear on the other hand didn't feel like it had noticeably more range than high katana while being slower and not as damaging.

As cool as the ki pulse is I'm also not really sure how sold I am on it as a mechanic because it basically just ends up being an execution tax. There doesn't appear to be any reason not to pulse after every combo or poke and if you can keep using it reliably it's pretty hard to actually run out of stamina. I also didn't really notice any benefit from the auto pulse on high stance, it doesn't seem like it actually gives you any stamina back. If you deliberately wait past the pulse window and then dodge you're at basically the same stamina as if you get the dodge pulse visual.

You apparently cannot reforge the bokken but you can soul forge it. Mine is currently more powerful than my Raikiri.

Most were much more reasonably sized. That one I posted before really is an Oni sized kanabo. It's probably some sort of training weapon.

I also didn't really notice any benefit from the auto pulse on high stance, it doesn't seem like it actually gives you any stamina back. If you deliberately wait past the pulse window and then dodge you're at basically the same stamina as if you get the dodge pulse visual.
Pulsing also dispels yokai energy.

Archer gear is great and it's so fucking light too. And I really makes you look like some sort of wandering ronin.

Wow I managed to quote myself instead of in one section and for got to grean text someones quote in an other. I should probably go to sleap.

ILL BE THE ROOOOOOUND-A-BOUUUT

what level/boss do i have to beat to get the second Mark DLC? its all i care about, ill be thorough and a completionist in the actual release but limited time preorder/release dlc makes me crazy OCD

IIRC you get it from beating the caves level.

Raiken a best dogger.
I also went with Raikiri for a long time until i figured the risk/reward factor on the big axes were bullshit. Now I just triangle superspin my way through hordes and stunlock everything with the overhead high stance axe double flips. Shit is fucking fun but it breaks the game so hard if you manage to get it right. It's risky, but if you get it right you just tear through shit like a knife through butter.

I also managed to just barely beat Muneshige on my first try with a katana. Fucking sicc fight.

For you

What level were you?

i'm too cuhrayzee for this world

this game is too hard for me
I keep getting fucked when I pull two or more enemies
how do I git gud

run away

Not sure. Level 42 or something? I did the twilight missions first. (except the caves one because it wasn't unlocked yet)
I didn't know it was a pure boss area, though. Was pleasently surprised, although I might've been too huge.

What's the key to beating him? Block then counter?

Fall back to a choke point and switch to low or middle stance spear

Just be a huge badass
I couldn't tell ya. I just kept my distance and went for him with high stance square triangle combo. That gets a lot of enemies' Ki down a bunch even when they're guarding. Other than that, buff your sword, when he starts buffing his go in for hits, don't get greedy, etc. Standard Souls rules at that point.

Dodging behind him makes most of his attacks whiff. Many of his block strings will eat all of your Ki. Most of his attacks can be parried. The jumping attack is especially easy to parry.

You should use attacks and pokes that drain as much of his Ki as possible then do a big damage combo when he's staggered.

If you need breathing room use the rock on the left side of the arena. He doesn't chase well back there. If you ever get the lightning debuff I would suggest waiting it out there.

Reading up, it seems you should only ever go one on one, by pulling enemies one at a time using a rock? Is that seriously how it's meant to be done? It seems broken, somehow.

You -can- take more than one oponent at the time once you get good enough for it, but at first (as in, on the first mission) taking them one by one by drawing them with an arrow or stone might not be such a bad idea. After the first mission there will be times when you absolutely have to fight more than one guy at the time, so getting gud early is not such a bad idea.

you can take more than one but you need a huge dick to do so

so is there a way to keep playing after the beta trial ends?

nope

I guess it depends on what weapon you're using. Using the Katana I like to just charge in. Your block works in 360 degrees and when you parry an enemy you're invulnerable. That's also the best time to call your spirit.

shiet

So what do the fire/water/etc effects do?

I know fire does damage over time and lightning slows the enemy down, but what about the rest.

you could always
buy the game

lol no

But I don't plan on buying a console.

Water slows movement speed. No idea about wind or earth. One of them probably does something with Ki or Ki regeneration.

Also if you get two different elemental debuffs up at once it puts up some kind of yin-yang debuff. No idea what the does either.

i don't know why, but this game reminds me of way of the samurai, and not just because it's nipponese

Post armor

There's a little similarity in the combat with the push/pull parries, the different stances and the variable move lists but WotS combat feels a lot more like a fighting game.

Taking on more than one big guy isn't to terribly difficult provided that you have light armor and plenty of ki and the ability to actually bring them down in a reasonable amount of time. Little fast enemies on the other hand really need to be dealt with one at a time or they'll clusterfuck you.

Ninja skills like shuriken and kunai are MADE for pulling out individuals from groups. Additionally several of the shuriken variants can debuff.

Never would have thought that a Murakabe youkai could look scary

That dude is easy use your guardian spirit mode on him

I'm in the need for speed, what's the best Dual Katana?

I'm using rocks whenever I see more than one enemy. Fuck redoing all that shit.

It turns out that he's actually a big sweetheart if you do the proper gesture to him. Fucking surprised me more than him attacking me in the first place.

I keep forgetting I can gesture at shit.

Should I try being nice to the onis? Like Edge wanted ten years ago?
web.archive.org/web/20120104155012/http:/www.next-gen.biz/reviews/doom-review

I've considered trying that. They're suppose to be honorable right?

Maybe not the one that got so consumed with whores in the room in the first stage…

I was thinking more along the lines of the one eyed onis especially in their "child" form.

You can kill oni kids?

There are child-sized one-eyed akaname who have a tongue lash attack that steals Anitra from you. If they do it twice they transform into the giant fat cyclops Oni.

The tongue is unblockable, the constantly hop just out of reach of all your combos, and the regain all health when they transform. They're the second or third most bullshit enemy in the game, neck-and-neck with the fire wheel things, but both a distant second to the motherfucking kappa. I would have thought the duelist Tanuki and the guitar playing ghoul would have been more annoying than they ended up being, but the former has human stamina and is stunlocked easily, and the latter don't fight back and is completely helpless if put down or outrun the revenants fast enough.

Yes, sort of. Some of the one eyed onis start as these cute little one eyed child sized creatures that, when they notice you, start walking slowly toward you. If they get close they start hopping around and trying to lick you. The licks don't do any damage but it saps amarita and if they lick you twice they they turn into one of the giant oni and try to push your shit in. If you pull out a ranged weapon they freeze and cover their one big eye with their hands and occasionally do a cute little peek out the side.

I HATE that fucker.
Oh shit where do you find one?

Oh what level should I be at to fight the first boss?

Does the first mission ever go twilight? I've done the other 2 and killed that stupid cheap fucker finally so I got nothing to do in the demo anymore.

At least about level 15, depending on how strategically you've invested your levels. being able to do water damage helps.So does being able to slow him.

Yes. It actually seemed easier to me than the first time through.

Well shit. I gotta grind a bit and git gud at item management. Although leaving and taking a break from this one stage sounds good too.

Time to sudoku.

So… this is a blatant Dark Souls clone with a Japanese mythology flavor…?

Fortunately there's an item for that. See>>10530100
Don't actually use this if you have any amarita because you'll lose ALL of it.

It's a superior Dark Souls clone with a Japanese mythology flavor.

Yep, I found Kou Shibusawa's grave, also learned that red named graves are built in.

That said I used the item that takes you back to the map screen without spilling all your amarita out of your pockets like limp spaghetti.

Yes, but it's amazingly well done, the quality might already surpass anything we saw from FROM. It really shows that whichever dev team at Tecmo developed it, absolutely loved the souls series and wanted to improve on it, rather than make a shallow clone that only looks like it like Lords of the Fallen.

There's also an item that takes you back to your last shrine without killing you or losing all your amarita. It even works inside boss chambers.

Do one of the main missions on Twilight mode; at least one treasure chest in them is a mimic trap, when opened the Tanuki will jump out and knock you way back, and while you're staggered will turn into an identical clone of you with all your equipment and stats. It's daunting at first, but you can cheese him by hitting him while he's gesturing an invitation to fight. The chest he's hiding in is randomized, and he doesn't respawn, so fair warning on that.

I'm mostly worried about some of Team Ninja's other issues, rather than their ability to make a competent action game. They had a bad tendency to use unskippable cutscenes, and bad writing. If they can avoid those two issues, then its no surprise that the action devs would be able to take the same basic concept and improve on it.

FROM doesn't have much direct competition, which allowed them to get away with how clunky a lot of their games are.

As long as they are short I can stomach it

Like I care, Hanzo taking out a cat to look at his eyes like he was telling the time and then say "It's going to be dawn soon" was hilarious, I know there is an actual meaning to it but it doesn't really matter to me as long as I can enjoy it.

I-its their style!!!

You can skip cutscenes and even have an option to auto skip cutscenes you've already scene

Sorry user, I'm a bit sleep deprived. It slipped my mind
I've been having re-occurring nightmares about being chased by Satan

If you copy the gesture he does he'll teach you a new one.

He wants to cuddle

I have reached the point where it takes a full 10,000 amarita to reach every new level.
FUG
Also is it possible to get lightning elemental attack on a dual katana reforge?

I got lighting element on a purple dual katana, so yes. First try, even.

I need 300,000 amrita for the next level.

I've played this demo more than many full games I own.

FUCK!
I've been getting water, parry, and fire over and over again.

Holy shit

HOLY SHIT

Jesus, I wonder if the onmyou spells have anything that cheesy

The survey has "7+ hours" as the highest option for the 'how much did you play it' question. I find that limit low indeed.
It's been a while since I find a 'demo' and enjoy it so much that I keep playing it over to find new things and improve skills.

This is how you get someone to gain enthusiasm for a game. Not some bullshit 'feature list' from a video interview, but a glimpse of the actual product itself.

I've played Katana only, got like one omnyo spell to buff my katana and the shuriken to try it, and since it hit pretty much nothing I thought they were useless. It seems I really have a lot to do in this game.