Hotline Miami

So I just finished getting A+ on all the levels in this game, and pretty much getting 100% in it. I figured I'd come here and start a thread to talk about it a bit, before playing HM2. So, I guess I'll pose a few questions:

I had a ton of fun playing this thing, even when I was having a hard time getting through a chapter or A+ing one. Never felt genuinely frustrated for the most part. Funny enough this one level, crackdown, gave me the most shit when I was going for A+ scores. But when I went to check, it turned out to be my best one leaderboard-wise.

HM1 was a pretty good, fast-paced adrenaline rush of a game that made guns an extremely situational yet extremely powerful tool which could also be thrown away and traded for something else in an instant, which was a refreshing way of going about it. Oftentimes a melee weapon was a better way of going about it due to limited ammunition, the inherent enemy-attracting nature of guns, and getting swarmed far more easily than if you had a melee weapon. HM2 doesn't really add much but a fucking boatload of windows and gun-toting enemies to the mix, ensuring that unlike the original where you kind of "flowed" in your general action and losing pace would mean you'd either mess up your combo or die, HM2 wants you to constantly play sneaky-peeky around corners and use guns to shoot through entire rooms with no blindspots, just windows.

Whatever the hell lets me move faster is my favorite mask, and I can't really think of a favorite level to go through since I usually play the game through in one straight sitting over the course of an hour or two. Hardest level was the one you get busted by cops in the middle of your murder-spree in, I think it was called Crackdown.

i was in it for another kind of execution

Simple, fun, a bit addicting but overall too short.
Shorter, simpler, no editor, not as focused on the story. Still good tho.
Tony because just punch through his head
Never really had problems in first, but I guess hot&heavy?

Richard, I'm a purist
Crackdown
Inner Animal or Bloodline

Dead ahead, on hard difficulty. I hate the blue filter on everything because I can't see anything, but the part where enemies are crouching behind cover gets me everytime. It's so finnicky to hit them.

So how about that Midnight animal? Is it shaping up to be good or bad or what?

OBJECTIVE Artist tier list:
Scattle
Magic Sword
Mega Drive
Carpenter Brut
El Huervo
Sun Araw
Perturbator
Jesper Byrne
Vestron Vulture
CoConuts
El Tigr3
Old Future Fox Gang
Dance with the Dead
Waveshaper

The fact that they tied Coming Home to the nuclear power station level makes both level and track 10/10

Oh and moon is in good tier I guess

That would be brandon, and I have to agree with you there. He's just so fucking fast, I love zipping in and out of rooms punching, stabbing, clubbing, and splitting people in two with the fire axe I picked up in the mayhem

Hope you're ready for this thread to be raided by intolerable newfags trying to fit in by shitting all over it

it's the way home, and yeah. that level with that music is god tier

Don't waste time with HM2. It bastardized the gameplay by decreasing damage done to the player, terribly generic level design compared to the first one, pointless masks, and limitations on what characters/masks you can use.

Well, it has a release date again at least. Let's hope that user who was developing his own HM game shows up and gives us an update.

Shameless bump with a new question: what's you guys' take on the story? I mean, the main thing seems straightforward, what with those phone guys sending masked people to fuck with russians because they dissaprove of that coalition thing, as well as the whole bit with the main guy getting revenge for his girlfriend. But what about the whole thing where he kills that biker, but later you play as the biker and kill the main guy, and only then get the "real ending"? I noticed some weird shit, aside from the obvious guys with chunks out o their faces, dead people around, the dude with the glasses being replaced by the bald guy, the parts with the video static, all the mentions of "this not being real". It makes it seem like everything the main guy experiences after the encounter with the biker is not real, cos thats when all the surreal shit happens and of course the biker wins in the chapters after you "rewind". I also noticed there are no more readable newspaper stuffs in the main guy's house after the encounter, no more reportings of his rampaging.

Yeah, I don't know. That's a lot of rambling shit now that I look at it. And thats not even everything I'm wondering about.

Actually what happens to Biker and Jacket is cleared in the sequel: Jacket beats the shit out of Biker with a golf club, but Biker survives. Jacket then goes on to do the rest of his campaign and then surrenders himself to the police after he kills the russian mob boss. Everything before Trauma was Jacket remembering everything through dreams
I personally would've liked if they left the identity of who left the messages as a complete mystery.

Also if HM2's hard mode is bullshit.

Biker doesn't survive, though. You find him at the Bar of Broken Heroes.

You might want to hold off discussing the story until you beat the second game, since it adds a whole lot more into the mix.

Just play Hotline Miami 2 instead of making this thread

El Tigre is great though

Nigga, Pardo was in there too, he wasn't dead. And if we're talking chronological deaths, the Fans, The Henchman, and The Son weren't dead, either. Martin Brown may also still be alive around then, depending on your level of suspension of disbelief. Finally, H.M. Hammarin was there, but whether he was alive to begin with is up for debate, seeing as he's still alive in real life.

see this is why you should have just played the game instead of making this thread OP

Anyways, Cinimod is the only truly bad Hotline Miami composer, because besides The Rumble everything he's made is absolute fucking filth with no redeeming qualities.

lmao

So who's the best playable character and why is it the Son?

The Sequel's Soundtrack was objectively better than the first's, prove me wrong

He was literally just a reskin of the fans but he was one of my favorite characters in the game, even if his levels were sorta bullshit, same case with the soldier in HM2 really, cool concept/story for the characters but awful levels that accompany them

Motherfucking Jacket, bitch

why does the son look like a huge faggot?

he's an ugly mongrel looking guy with scars and bugged out cocaine eyes, which actually makes him unique as druggie samurai

He's the Part-Slav, Part-Jap Lovechild of the Russian Mob boss and Ninja bodyguard from the first game, he's like Tommy Wiseau if Tommy was a drug kingpin that went out choping up his competition with a Katana like his whore of a mom taught him to

Why does the HLM2 Level Editor Workshop suck so much ass?

The way home really elevated that level, the whole thing just came together really well

Eh maybe, but at least MOON has a higher good to bad ratio.

A great game and the sequel cannot even compare with it's predecessor since it removes / changes so many mechanics that made the first game good and let's not get started with the level design
Brandon - for going fast surprisingly harder to use that i thought
Jones - there's not enough blood for the blood god everytime you kill anyone in the first game to make a kill satisfiying. HM2 turned this up to eleven so i guess it did something right
Hotline Miami - Push it
Hotline Miami 2 - Deathwish
Miami Disco, Knock Knock, and Sexualizer
Fire Axe and the humble shotgun

M|O|O|N is a mixed bag however, Delay sucks and gets monotone after the first 2 minutes, not to mention that it has a really long track length

It could be someone else, but it's not a huge stretch to assume that the hot bodyguard in the first game was the one to bear offspring for the mafia boss, given how attached to her The Son seems to be, treating her with equal importance as his father. The Jap thing is a bit of a stretch, but given the alternate universe setting who knows how what the state of Nippon is.

At first I hated 2 because it changed so much and made going through the levels a tedious slog. After playing through both games enough times however, I can only get the visceral thrill I got in the first game by playing the sequel, since the levels are large enough to really get into it. By that time, I had level layout and enemy placement burned into my skull so windows and guns weren't really a problem anymore.

Tony's easily my favorite mask, but picking a favorite level's a little bit harder. I'm pretty partial to Moving Up, so I'd probably pick that.

Hardest level will always be Dead Ahead.

Eh i guess, though ninja girl is supposed to be a young woman in her prime by anything kinda strange that i've never seen any R34 of her since she is the only other woman after the hooker
She's blonde m8, though nippon in the 80s alternate universe could have become a superpower or atleast an economical powerhouse HM game set in 80s nippon when?

Yep, it made melee literally hell to play with since it increased to reaction time into aimbot levels

Same

Eh, Hotline Miami already has deep purple panthers and giant carnivorous plants so blond japanese aren't a huge stretch. Also, she speaks in a light engrish, like a jap would.

I've begun playing HM2, and so far its… very different. I'm only about 8 levels in but I'm enjoying it so far. The main gameplay in movement and whatnot seems to be the same. Enemies are smarter, I can't just stand inside a gun-toting one and make him waste all his ammo. There are, as has been said, a lot more windows and wide open spaces, as well as numerous gun guys. A lot more dialogue heavy this time, though I have seen the skip prompt so that's ok. I'm of two minds about the constant switching of characters and playstyles. On one hand, it keeps things nice and varied. On the other it really nerfs the mask choice, which I'm not too thrilled about.

I love the aesthetic of it though. The VHS tape thing is really cool imo, and the music is fantastic.

I agree but I put him on good tier solely because I like Dust so much and because his Bloodlines remix is breddy gud

Hotline Miami 1 was one of the best gaming experiences I'd ever had up until that point with the only downside being the bullshit last boss

Hotline Miami 2 has worse gameplay and levels, but better story and possibly the best soundtrack of all time

Richter and his levels and Apocalypse

Probably either Death Wish or Take Over

Hotline Miami 1: Hydrogren, Miami Disco
Hotline Miami 2: Dust, Divide, The Way Home, Run

Dust is my overall favorite just because of the way it turned out to be the end credit song in Hotline Miami 2.

Sequel has more music in it but only has about the same amount of stand-out songs as the first game

I like Hunger. Would have been much better to use than Java.

That's just because every song in HM2 is original, fitting and usually of high complexity/production value. Not to say that corrolates directly with quality, Perturbator's new album is proof of that. Hotline Miami 1 reuses songs and sticks mostly within the comfort zone of mid-intensity scattle/moon tracks, making stuff like Miami Disco stand out a lot more.

I like both, but I don't see Hunger fitting in too well.

The best songs of the series are in HM1's soundtrack, but HM2's soundtrack has more good songs overall.

Maybe Hunger would have fit really well in the hawaii part before the news part about the american and russian presidents getting offed. Or better yet maybe hunger would have fit really well in the hawaii part and it would just play without any nukes.

What are you talking about? He released it on his bandcamp with a limited 7' Vinyl a few months ago