Playstation One Thread

I recently bought a PS1 for 30 bucks and I need some game recommendations now. It's a console I know nothing about and I need some quality games for it. Also, PS1 general I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

de.musicplayon.com/YUKI-Starmann-Music-Video-739149.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_and_PlayStation_2_games_compatible_with_PlayStation_3
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firebugs_(video_game)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You can probably find some good stuff here . Can't guarantee whether what you want will be in your price range though. While the PS1 overall isn't too horrendously expensive, some of the games are, especially a handful of the JRPGs (Tales of Destiny/Eternia, Persona 1 and 2, Suikoden II) along with stuff like Mega Man Legends 2 and Misadventures of Tron Bonne.

(you)

Silent bomber

Why not a PS2? It has a PSX built-in.

Best version of rayman 1 is on saturn

hoshigami is a damn hard strategy game

martian gothic is basicly resident evil on mars.

They are, because PS3-fags can play PSX games, while most of them can't access PS2 games.
Once PS3 is out of fashion (PS4 can't run anything), the problem solves itself.

i like inuyasha but it will always remain on a 5th place

oh'my Goddness is my all time fav. followed by ranma 1/2 than NHK, Planets and than inuyasha.

anyone remember that one sidescrolling platformer thing with green spore pillars in it?

holy fuck, i remember that on a demo disk from when i was 5

I meant it more that a lot of the popular "must-play" games are still pretty cheap, provided they actually sold well. It's the ones that didn't have that big a shipment of, or sold like shit and became more popular over time that the prices can get rather big on.

I honestly don't get why they even stripped out the ability to play PS1 games from it, I mean, the PS2 and PS3 could play physical copies just fine (for the most part), and the PS3, PSP, and Vita all had access to digital ones via the PSN. It didn't seem like anything extra special was needed to run them with the PS3 either (given that they wound up stripping out the ability to play PS2 games to cut both development costs and sales prices with later PS3 models). Just seems weird for the PS4 to have no physical backwards compatibility at all. I'd ask if they seriously thought it's own library would sustain it even from early on, but given how readily it seemed to sell here (I hear in Japan they've been more apt to stick with the PS3), I guess that answers itself.

Check out Omega Boost. You will not regret playing it. It shouldn't cost too much to get either.

I legitimately didn't know this and now I feel like I've wasted money. I actually went into the store and hoped to find a PS2 so I could play God Hand, but all they had was a PS1. Knowing nothing of the console I thought, "Holy fuck $30 for a full PS1!"

I hope you got one of the good ones. Check the back. If you don't have composite av jacks, you overpaid. If you do, you got a good deal.

Now, as for games, it depends on what you like. If you like fighters, then you should get Tekken 3. It has a ton of characters to unlock, extra modes (that you will actually want to play, like Tekken Ball and Tekken Force), great ending videos, and is just hella awesome.

Like platformers? Grab the usual stuff everybody talks about: Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Klonoa, Jersey Devil, Gex

Also, try Ape Escape. It was made specifically to hype up the dual analog sticks, so there are a ton of different weapons and gadgets that all use them and it's pretty cool.

Were you born yesterday?

I cant fucking deal with it

Why? It is the shittiest version. Hell I would rather play the IOS version with touch controls while getting fucked in the ass by a monster

Oh, and if you're up for the experience of it, try Monster Rancher 2 and go full retard trying to put your cd collection in there and seeing what you get. (It's kinda like pokemon, except you get them by putting any random cd in your PS1)

Admittedly I have been meaning to do an update for a while.

PS2's are mostly fully backwards compatible, but a handful of games don't run that well with it (wikipedia should have a compatibility list, but I have no idea how refined the listing is); you still need PS1 memory cards for it though if you play PS1 games on it. PS3s are also PS1 backwards compatible (and can have PS1 memory cards set up through the internal memory).

Good game, but last I checked it was pretty damn pricy. Glad I found a copy for $35 a few years back, complete and in great condition too.

Really? Any particular reason? I played the PS1 version of Rayman 1, and there's no way I'm going to tell somebody to not play it. Every Rayman AFAIK is amazing, but if the Saturn version has something extra going for it, by all means. From some reading, I heard the PC version has like a ton of custom fan made levels, and I would certainly like to try that someday, though.

I just never considered the thought of any of the Playstation consoles being backwards compatible. Anyway, do you guys think I can get away with selling it for $35?

to somebody dumb enough, maybe. I'd just as soon accept the twenty dollars you overpaid and start pirating ps1 games immediately.

Was this a game store you bought it at, or a goodwill or something? Because the former probably would have (or ought to) have given you a heads up about the backwards compatibility aspect of the PS2 and PS3 with PS1 games.

Ranma 1/2 is fucking aces, and i'm willing to give AMG a pass; can't defend the rest of that, though.

As a side note, i played Hoshigami Remix; it's just a shitty FFT clone.

There's only game i can think off off-hand that's not on this list.

It was a local game store. I've been there once and the guy was alright, but today it was his mother the register.

Well, it wouldn't shock me if maybe she doesn't know much beyond prices then. One of the local used vidya stores around here's part of a small chain, and I think pretty much everyone that works there knows their stuff and would readily have let you know about the backwards compatibility.

Is it true that the right model of the PS3 can play PS1 and PS2 games? I'm actually looking into this now, but that sounds too good to be true.

She was nice, but you're right. She didn't even know what the console I was pointing at was.

THE LEGEND OF DRAGOON

Owning the PS2 SuperSlim I would have bought one on release if it had PS3 compat. Now after waiting years it still has no gayms, I might just get the cheaper PS3.

Sailor moon and goldenboy are good too, if you can't deal with it well, i'm sorry to tell you this but i think i simply do not care. I hope you will find help if it start to hurt again. Anyway. I liked to watch Escaflown too but it got very boring. Not enough romance and shit. Nowadays i watch more JDramas like Galileo or starman. I love the soundtrack of it; de.musicplayon.com/YUKI-Starmann-Music-Video-739149.html

i think, if i remember correctly, it was because of the music ingame. But the difference between saturn and ps1 are minor.

Yeah, the 20 and 60 GB US models should have nearly full PS2 backwards compatibility (due to having the same hardware inside), while the US 80 GB has partial backwards compatibility (it uses a built in emulator instead if memory serves).

Fuck off, nigger.

i also like lamune, a great slice'of'life anime.

actually a good game but it get very boring on cd 3. Battle system is ok but as soon you are overpowerd the dragoon morph thing gets repetitive

I don't see that brought up too much, but I'll look into putting it on in the future, at least as a possibility.

Wow, I'd have hoped that maybe she'd at least have at least known a thing or two about the systems to know what line of them is what.

On that note, God Hand's been going up in price, so maybe be on the look out for a cheapish copy if you're really looking into getting stuff for the PS2. Last time I saw one locally it was about $20 or so (I got my copy for $15 complete), but it seems to be about $40 online, and with most stores going off of online prices for their own price tags, you might want to get on that while some might still be slow to catch up.

That makes it sound like I'd be better off just keeping the PS1 and finding a 60 GB model of the PS3. Thanks, user.

wew, using the filteID outside of an gg bread is somehow scary

You might want to ask around about the lifespan on the older model ones though. Additionally, if you have interest in PS3 games, 60 GB isn't all that much room if you're not going to go physical for the medium (and unfortunately some games don't have that option, at least out here), and the 20 GB one is especially small. Looking at Yakuza 5, if memory serves you need like 50 GB free to install it or something, though I might be remembering wrong.

PS2s themselves aren't too expensive these days anyhow, so if unless you're strapped for space, it might be better to get a PS2 and PS3 separately (though you might want to look into whether a particular PS3 model you're interested in is capable of having CFW on it).

PS1 and PS2 compatibility list for the backwards compatible PS3 models here if you want it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_and_PlayStation_2_games_compatible_with_PlayStation_3

Hi, user. Would you like to be part of our conversation too?

pretty much. beware, you'll probably have to change the thermal paste if you find an old enough ps3. sony just can't seem to into thermal paste. people are even changing the paste in ps4's to find improved performance.

It's easy to put a larger hdd in a ps3, though. I did it for mine back in 2009.

Oh, that can be done with the older model ones? How much space does your have now?

500gb. I don't know if there is an upper limit, or not, though. there's a bay with some screws and it just slides right out. then, the ps3 formats it and you have to install new firmware (either from a flash drive, or the internet).

I can probably just use an external harddrive I have laying around. It'll be fine.

Take your pills, Tidus.

Don't count on it. Unless you're planning on taking the case off that external.

autistic children play here

I also do count on buying physical copies. It'll be fiiiiiiiine, user.

does timeplitters 3 finally work on software BC? it used to crash in the 1990s house level.

removing BC helps get rid of history, which makes them less accountable, which makes them more money.

The first CUHRAAAAYYYYZEEEEEEEEE/character-action game.

>it came with Driver
To this day I still have no idea what the hell was going through his head.

On a side note, got Tomb Raider 1 recently to play it for my first time, and holy FUCK the handling is clunkier than I thought. Does this game handle any better with the Dualshock 1, or am I supposed to use the D-Pad for everything?

user did you look around inside of the system to make sure nothing was hidden inside of it?

I did, and I'm pretty sure nothing was inside of it.

Can someone tell me about some violent ps1 games? I remember a really violent samurai game, I got addicted to. I think the name is Bushido Blade.

Also for some reason the old ps1 games that where violent where amazing, now it feels dull.

I remember the original Dynasty Warriors was like this, with one ending involving Xiahou Dun ripping out and eating his own eye. I don't think it's what you're referring to, though.

why've I never heard of this before?

It existed. They made the fucking game for the ATARI JAGUAR, at that point i don't think they're going to be really picky about what platform the game is going to be on.

love you, user

I see something missing from this list.

Digimon World 2, or "The Day I Stopped Caring and made Digimon a monster-catching turn-based rougelike JRPG" It's a lotta fun.

DO IT FAGGOT. I found Rollcage 1 and 2 on my own and have been impressed by them so far. Also, the first game's PC version was patched and released for free by the original dev, though I couldn't get it to work with my DS4 or 360 controller for some reason.

Also also, Firebugs was a European-only "Rollcage 3" essentially. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firebugs_(video_game)

Also also also, the Rollcage devs have a new game on Steam early access (I know, I know) called GRIP.

While on the topic, is it worth having all three Digimon Worlds on there? I initially had DW1 up there (it was on the old one I was using as a basis; whoever it was that did the old one really had no fucking clue how to do layout properly, but the games there did help as a base for content), but eventually swapped it for DW3 after some input from other anons.

Looking at a text file I keep for things to look into adding, Rollcage 2's actually been there a while. I'll toss Rollcage 1 on as well.

Why was that?

I've had it on the list to add. Would like to double check though, is there much reason for one to play the PS1 version over the PSP remake? Not that that would prevent it from getting up there, but it might be nice to make a note about it, or something.

yo add dis wu-tang shaolin style fam shit was:
shmmmmeedidididat

reminder that NTSC always changed names for the worse.

This. The companies don't want to keep old games alive, especially since playing old games will remind you how bad new ones are in comparison.