Age of wonders

I love age of wonders, the music is great, the lore has some prety cool stuff and its really fun to play when you know what you're doing. Currently playing through the campaign on the first one and wanted to go through that to 2 and shadow magic and then play the campaign in 3. I have played 3 but only the tutorial and random map stuff.

for real though this soundtrack is great, I especially love the music in the dwarven underground.

Daily reminder that the dark elves did nothing wrong.

AoW1-2 are awesome, AoW3 is a disgrace.

could ahve been a cool spin off at least, its more like AoW:civilization rather than a proper AoW3.

I still haven't played through the games though.

AoW3 does feel like a bit of a meme to me. Still, I played Shadow Magic as a kid, but I don't think I really have much of a grasp on what must have gone into AoW3 vs what must have gone into the prior games. Any chance of an expert opinion from you?

That was my first thought.

I have played AoW3 only a little, but, well… they could start with not castrating magic, it felt non-existent comparing to previous games, same with nations - ruler was more important than nations which seemed like background. Overall it seemed like yet another casualised game that is probably fun/good enough for casuls but nowhere near as good as previous games.

I am not sure what you're talking about, maybe I am playing the game wrong but magic was OP as fuck if you went with druids or necromancer. I played a high elf druid once and was able to summon forth horned gods en masse and won quite easily that way. Mages are also capable of fucking shit up by spamming Eldritch horrors, which made the game laughably easy mind you but it was still fun.

it does mean that magic has a lot less value if you can summon forth 1 dragon every turn instead of 1 dragon every 10 turns. Maybe there is a way to get 8 dragons in one turn and I just dont know about it but I highly doubt it.

oh and I forgot to specify my examples were from AoW 3, just to avoid confusion.

only summoning I have done in AoW 1 is 1 gold dragon.

I remember so well AoW 1.

Put your hero with 10 defense, parry ability and some ranged attack (archery, stones,dart, magic etc). It's game ending. The lord is OP as fuck in the game.

I didn't play AoW 3, but if there is too much power concentrated on the leader, it's only an old mechanic working again.

AoW2 and Shadow Magic are more focused on units, since the mages are complete sissies and the heroes suck as fuck.

AoW 1 is the fucking best.

And Meandor is the true hero. He drove them BACK.

Age of Wonders is one of those games that's just too good, once I start I cannot stop playing it.

Age of wonders is one of the top three 4x games ever made

I bought Shadow magic on GOG a while ago but coming from the simplicity of HoMM3, it really made me feel like a retard. Is there something that could help me understand the game?

Oh yeah nigga AoW is the shit
posting best song

Sure, start the game up and play it

But you're a fucking redditor who probably thinks coming here and saying LOL HELP ME is how you'll learn to play a video game

Too lazy to even sit down and play the fucking game, so you ask for people to help you understand it on the fucking video game discussion board

Jesus fucking christ help us

Play AoW 1 if you haven't it's more straight forward like HoMM

Stopped reading there

Get the fuck out reddit

What makes you think I'm a fucking redditor? Nice knee-jerk reaction.

Because you're triggered and should kill yourself

Open the game and play it, get the fuck off of Holla Forums

Nice argument, you really proved me that your assumption was accurate.

Reported.

I prefer vid related, gets better as it goes along.

Yes, the mods are surely going to ban me for no reason other than your autism.

For you being a faggot, yes.

Julia is a whore.

Yes, Meandor did nothing wrong

NOW KISS, YOU INSUFFERABLE FAGGOTS
nice meme, retard

Also, stop being a bitch and read the manual.

What's her name again?

Red orc bitch.

Orcmeat

Loved playing AoW2.

Would always take Fire and Life and summon Phoenixes and Angels.

how is 2 better than 3?

magic in general feels more powerful than ever, the people who spread that meme either have no idea what theyre saying or really miss enchant weapon.

its not really more complicated, its just a little different than what youre used to.
every city builds about the same, theres one unique structure per race with a special function that can train a special unit. the prerequisites for your t4 unit might not be clear but its always the same. champions guild, masters guild, sanctuary.

bitch elf wanted the D.

He's a retard.

AoW3 managed to do away with most of the god-awful dice roll-centric gameplay that plagued the first two games.

So the original soundtrack and the unit art aside, there's really nothing that makes it better than the third.

Bump.

second bump.

AoW3 is shit.

heh

You make the impression that magic consists solely of summoning spells for you. Even if not on the level of Master of Magic, AoW games had plenty of other spells than just summoning ones. It sucked that you had one spell point limit to use each turn, counting all battles and overland casting together. I would like to see the separate limit for each battle and none of them counting toward your overland casting. It would make bonus mana generating races more useful in late game, when you produce far more mana than you can spend.

sometimes it surprises me how fast ill burn through what looks like excessive mana production. between advanced disjunction, class units and how i tend to lean towards caster heroes for better or worse.

AoW 3 feel a bit casual. Magic can either be overpowered or underpowered depending on how you use it. I love that alignments are not race based anymore. So now you can have pure good angel orcs unit who just want to headpat loli elves.

Evil Archons doesn't sit well with me.

And my biggest complaint is what the hell happened to Simon? Did he just dropped out of existence? He was friend with Merlin in Shadow Magic and now he's gone.

I'm the exact reverse of your situation. I tried to get into HoMM3 and just couldn't get it.

WE WUZ WIZARS 'N SHEIT!

give me your money

did simon even make an appearance past the tutorial in shadow magic?

if only, could have had spooky skeletons spooking everyone. samge goes for nagas.

Yes, at the last battle. With Julia, a kebab, and Meandor (I think).

I mean, he was there at the last, long, and unfair battle against the shadow boss.

tl, dr this thread

has 3 been fixed or at least pathed to a decent state?

i hardly remember that last mission, all i know is i didnt do it the way youre supposed to. i didnt know the fairy girl was supposed to go jrpg hero mode with some god sword and just ended up cannon turtling to air galleys and putting them against demon lords who couldnt retaliate.

i think 3 in its current state is almost a different game compared to release. certainly more different than aow2 compared to shadow magic.
so, worth another look?

its alright.

Worth a torrent

four titties

This

What's the best 4x game made in the last ~10 years? I'm wont for something new, be obscure ps

Play Master of Magic for dice roll-centric gameplay done right.

where were going, we cant afford roads