DS Thread

post good ds games.

Dude, fuck off

Mario Kart is fun as hell

I always wondered why the DS had a better screen compared to the 3DS. Like the colors on that thing look a bi more washed out, it's more noticeable when you try to play DS games on it.

If you don't play anything else on your DS, play Hotel Dusk, The Last Window, and Etrian Odyssey 3.
This image is probably out of date, someone post the newer one.

Its not as good as FFT or FFTA but its not that bad m8

Any good games that do'nt require much 'timing and platforming' because I am planing on playing them on a DS android emulator.

This game was honestly the shit on DS, I'm surprised they were able to make a 3D huntan/action RPG for the thing. Better than that it barely uses the touch screen.

In fact now that I think about it the DS had loads of fun games on it like Cooking Mama all the way to GTA Chinatown Wars. The low costs of making games for it probably helped them do whatever they wanted for it

You got it backwards - Dark Dawn is the absolute trash in that post, not FFTA2. Tactics was actually fun, if somewhat easy. Dark Dawn was a fucking travesty.

How are the fan translations on those tales games?

It's pretty bad user
I mean gameplay is largely the same, but the rest is just trash
I'm not even gonna mention pizza cutter

Eh, to each his own, I guess. I enjoyed how the Judges were less obnoxious (you get a bonus for upholding the law instead of getting punished for breaking it), and how the main character was like, "fuck yes this is awesome I'm gonna just stay here for a while," but I agree with you that the character designs were pretty godawful, and I don't remember a damn thing about the story otherwise.

But seriously, it's nowhere near as bad as Dark Dawn. DD feels like they wanted to make a game so bad that the fans would never ask for another one, and then at the tail end decided they wanted sequel bait so they through in a bunch of unexplained bullshit. The character designs are weak, there are like five different points of no return, there are a bunch of new mechanics that do absolutely nothing to change the gameplay, most of the eight main characters you gather are hamfisted into the plot for the purpose of having eight party members like its predecessor (even though Isaac's party joining you was one of the greatest moments in GS2)… it's just garbage all around. There's a reason we've never gotten another one, even though the plot clearly calls for it like GS1's calls for GS2.

These are my favorite DS games along with Contact and Radiant Historia.

that's because the 3DS can't properly recreate the DS's color palette, and some colors look washed out because of that. I don't really notice any other difference in screen quality between DS and 3DS in other Situations, though…

Ketsui Death Label
Bomberman 2
Metroid Prime Pinball
i dont really know if Metroid Prime Hunters can be considered good, but give it a try
Pokemon Black 2 & White 2
if DSi games count, Metal Torrent

Aw man, I loved Rocket Slime.

for shame

This was bretty fucking good.
That fucking last mission, my fucking nerves and hand after trying it a few times

so far i remember, somewhere was a MEGA link with all those gems on it.

My nigger.

The ds ruined handheld s with gimmickey shit.
If it had failed we would've had a modern gameboy now.

GBA still has good games and i won't believe you if you telling me that you played them all.

This was better than GTA 4 and 5

That honestly had no right being as much fun as it was. I really want to know which team at Rockstar made it and how they did so much right.

Best DS RPG coming through.

You've got me interested, now sell me on this game. What's it play like?

PSZero was good for a DS game, but it was sadly crippled due to a lack of content. Also, charging your techs is bullshit, unless you have a Compress PA unit, and it's a title reward - so you only get one per cartridge. Not one per character… one per cartridge. That's pretty crap fam. Also, I was disappointed that shields were made into an offensive weapon.

PSP2/PSP2i were much better games, but for a DS title, yeah - you could do a lot worse than PSZero.

Also, bonus points for having a tentacle rape scene.

I played this without any experience with the older top-down GTAs, just to see if it was worth half a shit. Looked up from my DS four hours later having actually had fun. Imagine that.

It still makes me butthurt that at the end you get a forced romance with sarisa, i wanted to bang the brown spess elf.

The ship battles are a Rock/Paper/Scissors deal, but also when to advance, when to shield, and when to fire.
The enemy ships allegedly have patterns, but I struggled to notice later ones.

Your ships (up to 5, but 1 "main" ship) have empty slots in them, and adding different rooms produces different effects.

The rest of the game is exploring dungeons (corridors and battles akin to your boarding party battles. Have higher numbers and quick-draw Rock/Paper/Scissors), and D&D/VN style checks and questions. For example, after your ship gets shaken up, you can ask your friend, another NPC, or the ship's scientist what happened. One of them will give you bonus points in science. Others won't. If you get it wrong, thee story progresses without you- fuck you.

It's also missing Platinum's usual craziness. I think it was before Bayonetta?

Another point of amusement is some of the characters resemble sci-fi actors and characters.

I grew bored with it, maybe you'll fair better?
Get gameplay from jewtube first. Or pirate. Or pirate to try then track down a copy if you really want to play it "as it was meant to be played".

don't forget SolatoRobo and Magical Starsign

Apparently only I have played this.

That's because it was only published by Platinum & Sega, but was developed by NudeMaker - the guys behind that Steel Battalion game for the Xbox with the crazy cockpit controller.

Absolute Zero (same group that did a patch for ToP PS1 and is now working on ToPX, NDX, and ToD DC) did the translations for both. However, it's worth noting that they did Tempest as an April Fool's Joke: Not that the translation is bad (they considered it good practice) but the game itself is probably one of the worst in the series from what I've heard.

Might as well mention that I'm open to suggestions if more needs to be added to that. I do require a description though.

Boring, the game's scripting is really wonky, so you have to just fly back and forth trying to force the story to advance at points.
It's rock paper scissors with blocks you put into ships.

Really it's only the important characters with fuck all horrible design.

Everyone else is actually really well done and extremely tasteful.

That was the first game I got for the DS, quite a good game too

While I know that it's in English and the DS is piratable/emulatable/import friendly, it wouldn't surprise me if more people aren't aware of it simply since it never got cleared for a NA release.

Infinite Space actually saw a reprint a few months back from a Canadian company called VGP, who apparently worked something out with Sega and/or Platinum in regards to its former lack of availability. I'm not sure what it goes for these days, but I would assume it's not $50-60+ anymore for a complete copy.

No joke, that's why I avoided that game back in the day. Virtually every single handheld game I'd played up to that point that was published by Ubisoft was shovelware trash.

Even the occasional shit tier publisher can occasionally publish something pretty good. Like EA with Henry Hatsworth. Still better to be wary on the whole though with companies like those, unless you hear otherwise from an user or someone that a game's actually good/was handled well in translation.

BUT WILL TARO AND ZOE EVER FIND GALILEO?

That's because the 3DS screen has a higher resolution than the DS one but not the double. So it does that shit filtered upscaling. You can hold start as you boot a DS game on the 3DS to play without that shit upscaling and it will look much better.

The only problem with that though is that on the non-XL 3DS, the display will be way too small, but on XL, it will actually be the exact same size as the original 3DS, and will have that sharp and beautiful look.

So yeah, hold Start when booting a DS game on 3DS.

*exact same size as the original DS

check em

Everything listed here on my flashcart. Not listed here are Elite Beat Agents & The World Ends With You because I have them as physical copies, but they definitely deserve to be played as well.

yeah

Seem worth adding to ?

I admit, I initially bought it for the animal people, and wasn't expecting that much of a game, but it surprised me. It's just pretty good at first, then the second half starts and the real game begins, which is boatloads of fun. Only thing I'd change is the ridiculously intense hand-holding, since the game treats you like you're a paraplegic five-year old with downs for the first half of the game.

Is dragon quest any good? I was thinking about picking up DQV because of all the manga and shit I've been reading about it (Yuusha Yoshihiko and How I stalked a Guy With an Exposed Nipple)

Not quite DS, but I do feel this game is almost better than Explorers in every way. Except story.

I never heard any of you guys talking about this game.
But I recall some good GCCX threads.

If you like classic JRPGs, the series is a staple one of the (sub?) genre. The DS releases of the Zenethia trilogy (which were made partially with the intent of giving the west V and VI for the first time since those had never come west prior) has some issues though, due to general translation fuckery with unnecessary text only accents (especially in DQ IV DS). Unless you're really used to reading stuff like that, it can make the games hard to understand, even more-so if English isn't your first language.

With Dragon Quest V you've also got options, in that both the SFC original and prior remake on the PS2 are both fan-translated. Really up to you which version you want to play. The DS one has some additional content (including a third girl you can waifu).

I'd only heard of Solatorobo through Cross CODA

I really should give it a try, is the hand holding really -that- bad?

It's definitely strong. The first half is just one big tutorial which lasts about 3-4 hours, most of which is taken up by excruciatingly long explanations and trash quests. The vast majority of the quests in the first half is:

1. This person is having a problem, here's 5 minutes of dialogue and walking around to explain the problem
2. Oh no the person is being attacked by a thing! Press the B button rapidly. Now we'll freeze time and explain the B button again 3 more times.
3. Murder the thing in 2 seconds flat without getting hit.
4. What a hero! Here's 5 more minutes of dialogue of us thanking you

The game is good though, just gotta trudge through the first part and enjoy the story until the real game begins.

Ohh thanks man, I'll keep an eye out for the DS version.

I'm not real sure what the price for it is these days, but it used to be about $40 or so. You could always emulate the SFC version with the patch, or the patched PS2 version if your PC can handle it (or you have a PS2 set up to play downloaded games). Might be the better way to go about things if you've never given Dragon Quest a go before and aren't real sure if you want to drop the money on one just yet.

Up to you really. Just figured I'd mention your options there. DQ IV also has an NES original and a PS1 remake, but the latter never came west, nor has it been fan translated. I think I've heard rumor that there's a gameshark code or something to access an unaccented English script with the JP version of DQ IV DS, but I could be wrong.

mario kart would be ok if the people i played multiplayer with weren't retarded and couldn't get to the most basic controls

at least we got love plus and thus, the superior waifu Rinko.

but that's the worst digimon game though

Those character models remind me an awful lot of Megaman Legends, there's something about them. I wonder if there's any connections.

i luh dat shiit, u mai nigga doe

Oh fuck, I played this game so much that I had some of the magic runes permanently etched into the screen.

Man I tried hard to get into this game but the story was just awful and just dragged on and on.
I wouldn't mind it so much but you just cant skip it otherwise you just kinda have to wander around until you find where to go.
The actual game play was great though just too much shit in between.

At the end of my 1st playthrough of SJ right now (saved at the final save point, grinding before boss.) Went Law.

I've haven't been this addicted to a vidya game in years. Playing an RPG that doesn't treat me like a damned 5-year-old sure is great for a change.

I played through it twice, back-to-back, because my dumb-ass missed one of Katida's flags the first time around.

It was fun.

BLood of Bahamut seems like it would be pretty decent in multiplayer.

I read about that in an NP ages ago and it looked fun as fuck, but then I forgot what it was called.

yep

The gamecube one's story might be better

bump

Saving bread from the oven.

ridge racer, mk, super monkey ball and super dodgeball brawlers are underrated as fuck
also, are there any other good music programs for the ds outside of ds10, jam with the band and that ubisoft 4 chord guitar sim?

I asked about the localization in a GCCX thread, it seems they cut out all the Arino and GCCX nods and references on the American version, which would make sense surprisingly if they were trying to appeal to as larger audience but still, would like to hear some more from other anons.