Censoring crucifixes: Is it actually NECESSARY?

Religious symbolism, along with nudity, seem to be the most prone to be censored elements in video games, either via updates or re-releases (the red cross in Doom's medical kits comes to mind). Some developers, though, seem not to care about it, as it's the case with Team 17's Worms series. They have been including the Holy Hand Grenade weapon, which has a crucifix at the top of it, for years, and it doesn't look like they're going to change their mind.

So, what's the point of censoring crucifixes? Does that get your game more sales? Donations from some obscure lobbyist? Which are the benefits of it, if any?

Other urls found in this thread:

redcross.ca/about-us/about-the-canadian-red-cross/red-cross-emblem/it-may-just-be-a-game-to-you-but--it-means-the-world-to-us
redcross.org/about-us/media-resources/logo/brand-standards
web.archive.org/web/20080602102925/http://kpearson.faculty.tcnj.edu/Dictionary/kike.htm
web.archive.org/web/20160429153631/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kike
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The point is that religious zealots like to cry and bitch about everything so it's mostly a method of avoiding the ire of the church or whatever.

With the exception of facist muslim countries and butthurt atheists. No. Most other countries in the world can peacefully accept christian/catholic influence in games.

Every game has an absurd amount of violence in it yet I don't see people banning Islam

Is this actually still an issue?

this thread is as pointless as religion

This. The kinds of people who would get butthurt at crucifixes in games are the kinds of people who don't play games.

Pic related.

Placating SJWs and patting yourself on the back that you're a good person.

Not sure, but if gaming media decides to have a circlejerk over how awful your game is for disrespecting religion or shit, marketing departments get rather worried.

Ideally, avoiding drama, patting yourself on the back for supposedly being a better person, and avoiding the purported loss of sales that comes from videogame websites hating on your company and product. Gamergate proved you'll get a ton of drama and hate for bending over and censoring your shit also, so these days game companies are more likely to just stick with their shit instead of blindly placating media.

Well, the Classic Doom games included in Doom 3 BFG had the "red cross" removed, so it seems it's more or less a current affair.

In the Censored Gaming YT channel you might find more examples.

That's a different matter, it's not religious at all. Red Cross owns the copyright to red crosses at those dimensions. No one uses them on paid products anymore.

This.

I don't give a shit about religious symbolism if it's in an appropriate context. If it's just thrown in because the creators thought it was "cool" (Nips) without knowing the first thing about it, then it's a shit feature but still no reason for censorship.

Red cross was removed from Doom because the Red cross has been on a bit of a crusade recently about the usage of the symbol in things that aren't associated with them.

I don't think much censorship happens nowadays but I think it happened back in the NES days because >nintendo of america

Come to think of it I don't think many games really have crosses or religious symbolism anymore. Last one I can remember is Lords of Shadow's combat cross which I actually really liked as a concept.

But why?

Well it's not classic Doom then it's an altered copy of the original.

This needs to have an explicit disclaimer

How many rocks have you been living under?

I meant to crosses and religious symbolism, if it happens I assume it happens to not offend muslims because everything offends muslims.

it's a Worms thread now

and there are a shit ton more examples. Of course, none of these games are censored due to religious imagery. It's more about sexualization or depictions of women

I wouldn't mind it. Has the most recent one(with crafting and whatnot) been released yet?

I meant religious imagery user, sorry.

yep, it's on Steam now

Probably because their lawyers got worried. You see, in the US at least, if you don't continually enforce your copyright, your copyright can actually disappear and enter the public domain, so a lot of companies and organizations have their lawyers go to town on unapproved use of copyrighted material for no other reason than to ensure their copyright stays theirs.

Given how lackadaisical they have been about enforcing copyright in the past, I could see Red Cross panicking about the possibility of losing their copyright on the red cross and suddenly going on a fullblown purge.

I want this meme to end.

Not really, Nintendo used to it a lot in the 90s when localizing games (Breath of Fire II on the SNES was the first localized game to keep its religious overtones mostly intact, if I'm not mistaken).

What and said. The Mudslimes also are so offended by it that they actually have to use a "Red Crescent" while on Muslim countries, because muh crusades.

I'd imagine that because they want the Red Cross symbol to still be protected under the Geneva Convention (you can't attack doctors, vehicles, or buildings bearing the symbols of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement).

For nips, Christian imagery is foreign and exotic, so they think its cool. Like we have countless media works about Ancient Greek religion, or Norse mythology, etc.

It's worse than that, since they depend on their symbol being protected under the Geneva Conventions to be able to do their work during war.

This.
Only mudslimes and those insufferable atheists get triggered by this. Normal people don't care.

Like Jeb Bush, copyright law is a mess, a big fat mistake.

Please. I still see raging hormonal Christians complain about how Final Fantasy Tactics not-so-subtly makes the Catholic Church the main villain, how you can summon Belzebub and other demosn in Persona, and how dare Dan Brown suggest that Jesus had kids.

On the legal status of Donkey Kong and King Kong

Unless you've gone to law school for about 10 years. Don't even bother.

BUT THAT'S THE SAME CROSS AS THE SWISS FUCKING FLAG? THAT'S FUCKING STUPID

The cross on the Swiss flag is white. For fuck sake, America, get a basic knowledge in geography.

Nobody cares about Christian outrage though. They're too big to be part of the oppression olympics.

There you have it.

False, copyright is automatic (no need to register) and lasts for 150 years (usually). You're thinking of trademarks, which can become generic if the company that owns one fails to protect it.

Mostly because they don't know how to pick their fights. Literally last week, I saw Christian groups calling for the boycott of Pokemon Go, because Pokemons are "pocket demons" according to some fringe pastor at some stupid church somewhere. Before that, they were complaining about Harry Potter promoting witchcraft. And so on.

Thank you.

When it's worth googling, I'll google it. Until then. The world starts from Hawaii and ends at Maine

My, that second design is terrible.

Nothing is more American that that, I'll give you this.

my sister church was actually making fun of people like that

If serious, do you really not see anything wrong with that line of thought?

Yeah, true. Those Christians just keep suicide bombing everybody who offends them.

Are you on a crusade in here, user?

My ancestors left that continent so I wouldn't have to deal with that bullshit. To know more about that hell hole would be an insult.

I just know this thread is going to blow up into a shitflinging aspie rage storm from both fedoras and christfags. Is this what you wanted, OP?

Are you?

Oh hey, I remember that case. It was the reason we got Kirby and everything.

It's your right to do so. It's the rest of the world's duty to mock you for that, burguer.

That's the one

stay mad yuro

Mudslimes are extremely buttmad when it comes to crosses. For example Real Madrid changed their crest to appease sandniggers. The change however is only limited to material in UAE.

Can you spot the source of rectal anguish?

No, only peaceful suicide bombings from me, but I think that other guy got inappropriately touched by some priest or something.

Well, either that or he wanted people to talk about something that doesn't happen in vidya.

To call them the religion of butthurt would be an understatement. Remember these are the same guys who will kill your for drawing their version of L. Ron Hubbard.

The worst part is that the Crusades ended up failing; they only lost Jerusalem after WW I. the Crusades should be a pleasant memory for them, since they won it on the long run.

Yet they don't want to pick the hint that nobody really gets offended by their own flags depicting the Crescent (like the Turkish flag), so they should at least return the courtesy. Mudslimes can't even hide their hypocrisy.

Jews are called Kikes for a reason: They so hate the Crucifix/Cross that when they were supposed to place a X mark, they refused and instead used a O, or circle/kikel.

It's a sign that a game got hebrewed.

Their entire religion is based around them being in charge. They pray 5 times a day and must be reminded so with incredibly loud calls 10 times a day because there's a billion fucking mosques everywhere. If you're born a muslim you must stay a muslim or else you get the death penalty or your conversion isn't recognized but the other way around is, religion of biss :DDDD or say goodbye to your motherland. Can't have good pork or alchohol, can't walk down the street during an obscenely hot day drinking water after working out because muh ramadanupmyass or else someone will start shit with you and you're the bad guy, can't make fun of their religion but they can make fun of yours, everyone's just okay with death threats and "it's haram" statements being issued over anything and everything that doesn't suit whatever bearded unwashed fuck in the religious authority of the country decides and most of all you can't even admire most beautiful women because they cover themselves up like they're african ghosts(but nuns do it too so it's ogay :DDD)

Fuck muslims.

christfags were the loudest before feminists

Jihad By Immigration, user.

Fuck mudslimes.

underrated post

Muslims did lose Jerusalem during the crusades but only for ~200 years and while crusades did indeed fail in their final objective (holding the holy land) they were one of the main factors in the decline and dissolution of the Arabian Empire.
Crusades weakened the Caliphate and made Gengis Khan life easier in his conquests.

Ah, I miss that game.
Also it's funny how Kali's statues are actually full on naked and they did redesign her to be less sexy.

I guess it depends on the issue. I mean, I understand WHY they do it, but really I don't see much point to it. I do understand changing it if they had no intention of that kind of connection originally during development, but ridding of them in something like localization is just kinda pointless. Its like when devs lengthen a skirt or something when localizing. I see why they're doing it, but what's the point, really when the result is the same?

It's less of a copyright, than Red Cross's feelings for their logo being used in works they deem inappropriate for. Considering Doom is all about blasting and killing everything that moves (even if they aren't human), it goes against their mentality of using their symbol as a sign of good and non-violent.

I know. But if you're going to use it, at least try to first understand it. Marvel's Thor capeshit is just as bad as the Japs NGE shit.

I think we've proven you don't need to be muslim to do these ones.

They should put whatever the fuck they want in games and tell anyone who tries to censor them to go fuck themselves.

it's not forced censorship most of the time.if a dev for example put something bad about fat womyn in his video game and they start tweeting #killalldevs he will change it himself (something like PoE ui)

Yeah, but Muslims are the only ones savage enough to actually kill people en masse over trivial bullshit.

alpha enough*

Not videohomes.

You're retarded. Chimpouts are barbaric and animalistic.

Red crosses were removed because they are trademark of Red Cross organization.
redcross.ca/about-us/about-the-canadian-red-cross/red-cross-emblem/it-may-just-be-a-game-to-you-but--it-means-the-world-to-us

Same thing happened with Skullgirls

wait I could swear EDF had them.

You scream like a Shilleryfag. You here because of all the feminist butthurt?

I'm not even surprised.

No you didn't.

They should. Hell it shouldn't be just game devs that should tell anyone who asks for censorship to go ride a cactus but everyone.

But sadly the industry (in the west at least) is filled with spineless whelps that appeal to anyone they perceive to be "oppressed" cause in all likelihood they well-off suburban woman. So anyone who bitches about pointless shit and is on the "oppressed" list gets their opinion heard while other legitimate complaints get ignored.

What's the easiest way around that trademark? Something like pic related or just a different colour Theme Hospital green works nicely I feel.

Well peacekeeping shit is all we really do, so it makes sense they want the thing that keeps them from being shot at Does it actually work with the mudshits? to still be recognized.

They say the same thing on the American website, dumbass.
redcross.org/about-us/media-resources/logo/brand-standards

Think before you post.

Russian ambulances have them as well. I think Red Cross just doesn't have resources to track everyone who uses them. Skullgirls devs changed it because their Jap publishers got paranoid and told them to do so preemptively.

As long as it's not a red cross on white background, anything.

That's the official position of Russian Orthodox Church, though.

>PIG AMERICAN

Yes, censor those crosses as they could cause offense! We're diverse, now! But don't touch the stars of david in the magical Jew temple of super science, that would be antisemitic.

*anything goes

Well, okay, if you literally live in Russia and saw Russians going around calling for a boycott, that's a different matter.

Oh, okay, I know where you're from.

Yeah I do, and they are certainly doing that. Russian Orthodox Church is pretty much acts same as SJWs, except it enjoys official support from government.

Why'd you elect a nigger then? Twice?

HHG isn't uncensored because Team17 are deus vult tier but because it's a fucking Monty Python joke and doesn't have to do with religion at all

In 2008 because the nightmare that was 2000-2008 drove people to whatever looked different, and the alternative was Sarah Palin potentially running the world. In 2012 because a nigger is preferable to a Mormon.

No censoring is necessary.

No censoring is ever good in any circumstances.

I suppose this explains the lack of Switzerland in the gaming, ja?

Their bitchball players look somewhat nice, at the very least.

Switzerland is actually a great country.

The only downside is its location.

Eat it, Yuropoor.

If it's good enough for nintendo then it's good enough for Holla Forums

What a nice looking German sandwich but when are you going to post American food?

Wew, that's some cuck tier thinking!

Hamburgers don't come form Haburg, you twatwaffle.

fugin gommie

*Hamburg
fug

Russians tend not to give a flying fuck about copyrights.

Orthodox Church says gays and trannies are degenerate.

geography is a thing in case you didn't know

Or like this.

Is medical weed a thing in China/Japan? You only hear about western stoners but the Chinese love their opium and counterfeit meds. You just never hear about this shit in China

Red cross is cancer. All large 'non-prophet/charity' organizations are. When most of the money they're given by the government, and made from donations is used to pay for more ads to get more donations. That shit is fucking gross.

What?

Some medical marijuana organizations use the green cross symbol. He's asking if China or Japan allow marijuana to be used medically, I guess since the pic you posted seemed like it would be related to that sort of thing.

Oh, I see.
No that's naosusukino's logo. I've seen several uses of a green medical cross in Japanese media but that was the only one I could find on the spur of the moment.

remember when they removed crosses in a game about a church?

Yes, Nintendo of America censored all those NES games because of the strong Muslim/Atheist lobbies in 1980s America. Everyone knows that.

I wonder, what flavour of special snowflake do you identify as?

holy shit are the children in this thread really that stupid?

crosses were edited out in the early days not because of atheism or SJWs, but because of Christian fundamentalists groups complaining about them

Summer shows its ugly head once again when 18 year olds think they know whats about about video games of old

The NES era is the one most well known for censoring religious references. Does it even still happen much today?

This. Video games were still a scapegoat for degeneracy and witchcraft so retards posing as Christians pretended to get mad about it and throw a tantrum. Also, most non-video game anti-Christian efforts are perpetrated by the (((tribe))).

Jews get triggered at seeing the sum total of their greatest failure, so they censor it.

And thank God for that.

Japan and China both have extremely strict laws about weed. In Japan at least weed is really hard to get too. Last I was there that shit went for $90 a g. For reference for all you sperglords who've never injected weed, the average price in the USA is $15 a g, $20 if you're a sucker who buys from blacks.

This is just as stupid as trying to patent common words like Candy or Scrolls

You mean butthurt soccer moms and christfags.
You saying otherwise is denying history.

That is when most religious censorship happened user.

censorship only belongs in things like morning news and daytime television. there shouldn't be censorship on privately purchased products like video games in which the consumer can just look up if their fucking triggers are in the game

It isn't. Those weren't much of a thing in the 80s when it was most popular to do.
Trying to switch the blame is a classic /christian/ tactic though.

REEEEEEEE

Get fucked fedorafag. You know as well as I do that the soccer moms who did that shit in the 80 have ditched their crosses and soccer balls for hair dye, nose rings and fedoras.

Except again, most religious censorship was in the 80s and 90s.
Keep calling me a fedora for knowing basic facts christcuck.

So you are now implying that censorship of religion doesn't happen in modern times now?

Not nearly as much in vidya. The Binding of issac would probably not be released in America in the 80s.

Atheists don't give a fuck about religious iconography in games. Most even appreciate it, as (whether you like it or not) it's another aspect of human culture to explore. Seems silly to bitch about fictional elements in your fictional games. Just keep that shit out of the state's business, and they're fine.

If anyone is likely to raise a shit-fit about religious iconography in games, is the religious - because "muh sacrilege".

You can find a ton of youtube videos of Christian preachers/adherents bashing games for poor representations of Christianity - or accused of harboring demonic influence. You can't really find (at least, I haven't) any of Atheists bitching about religion in their games.

There are some Japs that think Jesus came to Japland but they are by far the minority.

by all means i'm an athiest (granted the title os used by only the highest of fedoras now) and i get a huge kick out of religion in games and hell i like playing as paladins

one doesn't need to partake in religion to find the stories, themes and characters in religious texts interesting

I stopped playing Halo after 3 because all of the religious symbolism, music and tone ended there.

This

I'm not a christian but I find templars rad as fuck.

I would love a game with deep christian lore, with the punishing warrior god of the old testament, salt statues, rampant degeneracy and scary as fuck angels

The jews fear the true word of God

>>>/enoch/

Speaking of cross censorship, what was the point of this?

The light beams make it more religious while no cross beams make it just a grave stone.

Remember when not praying to God before starting your quest could get you killed in games?

or, just that one game anyhow.

You had to pray to Mithras too, but that's ok, because he gets BTFO later when you find the grail

Damn, forgot my second image.

I'm sad Castlevania is dead, I want more cool games where you're some christian fighting force using the power of god to fight off evil. I like the mix of Christian idolatry and Satanic imagery clashing.

Yeah I was never allowed to read or watch Harry Potter as my mum was a big Christian and thought it was demonic, probably for the best as looking at it now it seems really faggy. Also having moral rules like that imposed at a young age definitely turned me into the super edgy cunt I was during highschool; discovering black metal was the best and worst thing to happen to a 13 year old.

once upon a time there were some literal barbarians in a region vaguely around what we would now call hamburg and they had a novel way of preparing beef, shredding it
"shredded" beef gets called hamburger because of this
the sandwich part of hamburger sanitch gets dropped
america is by far the most enthusiastic about hamburgers and it is very prevalent in american culture

while we are on it, this one is more dubious but here goes

there was once an earl of the sandwich isles (I think) and he would put meat and cheese in between two slices of bread as a snack while gambling

Don't forget about Jews.

Agreed, I had this idea for a mount and blade tier game set in the crusades where you advance through the ranks or lead an army of elite templars and eventually you'll end up finding holy and unholy weaponry and start fighting demons alongside angles.

Censorship makes no sense.

The worst thing is them reworking that Doom level to remove the swastika. If anything they should have made it a pink triangle instead.

not true, the Red Cross is anal about 'brand protection', they'll go after you legally even if it's not a piece of violent media.
big money in that organization, not the friendly charity it fronts.

what does Kirby have to do wi- oh yah, the lawyer…

It's to appease kikes.
see

It doesn't happen much these days apart from the usual outcry now from Pokemon GO. Game doesn't seem to get a break when it comes to stupid shit like that.

Not sure if serious or not but do bite the bullet, christnigger. Every fedoratipper who plays Worms also recognizes the holy hand grenade as an ebin meme-reference to Monty Python.

This decision was made to neutralize the game from religious imagery, and it probably came from the executives.

No but his father was a cuck

The UT2004 health pickups are blue, colour should be OK.

First, good point about the double-standard, nobody could care less about seeing an Islamic symbol on their stuff but they can't handle seeing other symbols on other people's stuff.

However, even if it did bother me, to make that an issue would be to validate the idea that they "own" the crescent in the first place. And I for one, resent even that much. Way before I knew anything about Islam, I thought the crescent was cool because I liked the crescent moon, and that to me was all it meant. Nobody owns the phases of the Moon, and they can't take something that naturally is visible to everyone on the planet and say it's the symbol of their religion specifically.

I never really got the feeling you were religiously empowered in those games at all, I saw it as non-specific evil versus plain ol' Belmont elbow grease. Possibly aided by generically magical things like specific herbs that repel evil without need for any particular connection to Christian God specifically, for example garlic doesn't need any particular blessing for vampires to hate it. But hey, whatever, to each his own. Could be a matter of bias, I've always thought magic powers are drastically less cool if they have to be channeled from a higher power as opposed to being innate. So Belmonts are way cooler to me if they're kicking vampire ass with their own manpower, be that power the physical strength of their muscles or the spiritual strength of their souls.

Not that I'd take out the crosses and stuff either way though, it's cool window dressing regardless.

And my post was deleted for what reason, you stupid fucking yid?

The kike BO was shitter-shattered about the truth.

Christianity is a lot weaker nowadays, doubly so in gaming where the soccer moms are gone and have been replaced with nu-males and feminist Marxists.

There are other moderators than the BO, you shitter-shattered Holla Forumstard. Also, try to link your post's subject with the board topic. Gaming industry isn't actually that jewish. And producers always follow the money, not ideals.

Who would censor a crucifix? The pope may be a faggot but Christians don't go around cutting off the heads of anyone who draws the jew on a stick. Most christians wouldn't give a shit about it. The crazy ones that do don't buy vidya and unlike SJWs they can't affect sales since they haven't infiltrated the media.

The first source you provided leads to this:
web.archive.org/web/20080602102925/http://kpearson.faculty.tcnj.edu/Dictionary/kike.htm

Apparently no one really knows where kike originated from but it seems to stem from a slur used by jews towards jews who are too "vulgar". I imagine that goes back to the image, in that they unnecessarily acted like pricks.

It was used because Jews that didn't know how to write used a circle instead of a cross because crossess got their shitter shattered.
Kikel means circle in Hebrew.
Do you now see the correlation?

Did you even read the link I posted? Did you even read the post I replied to? Can you read?

That's not a grave stone though, it's the ruins of a chapel. It even shows him kneeling and praying at the alter. Even in the US version.

You tell me user.
web.archive.org/web/20160429153631/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kike

That third pic is a result of the good old catholic converting methods.

Just fyi, a crucifix is specifically a cross with the image of Jesus hanging from it. It's in the name: cruci (cross) fix (as in fixed to the cross). What's in the OP image is a globus cruciger and what he's complaining about is just called a cross. As already mentioned in the thread, the Red Cross is just throwing a bitch fit over its use on medkits. I've never heard of a crucifix getting removed except for pic related and maybe some other 90s NoA localizations.

The plural of goy is goyim. Your gentile is showing

Sounds to me like lawyers are spreading FUD to stay in business, kinda like a protection racket.
Like parts of EULAs being walls of legalese written in all caps, despite the SCOTUS clearly saying that no, readability doesn't work that way.
Law shouldn't override common sense.

Unless you're a Protestant, since they believe in glorifying the risen Christ, not the dead pathetic broken Jesus with a micropenis that the Catholics worship - thus, you don't generally see Jesus hanging from their crucifixes.

I acknowledged that the circle theory is a possibility and the link that you posted, first thing under etymology:

So no, if I must tell you, you have a distinct lack of reading comprehension.
if you are the same person. You seem to be under a different ID