Grappling hook vidya

I've been playing Bionic Commando rearmed recently and I'm loving every single bit of it, but most specifically I love the bionic arm. I love that it makes every gap and every jump a challenge, I love that you can go fast and with creative swinging you can breeze through levels in mere minutes and I love that you can grab enemies and carry them around like oversized pinup dolls. Point being, I want a game with a versatile grappling hook. Is the 3D bionic commando just as good as rearmed? I've already played the original too before rearmed. Hit me with your best grappling hooks, anons. And not bulletstorm, please. If I can't jump or get off the ground in some way I'm not really interested.

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/378750/
youtube.com/watch?v=0AmxqRpq1r4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There are many great grappling hook games Bionic Commando is very entry level, you may need to rethink how you approach hooks for the best games in the genre, but lets start with a few of the really fun ones. Of course, Umihara Kawase is a must, all 3 games are fantastic, and Sayonara Umihara Kawase is very welcoming to new players. I've also really enjoyed a recent game inspired by umihara kawase, it's very novel because it's controlled 100% with the mouse. That is, super hook girl and its sequel new super hook girl. It's extremely challenging, but has some of the best sense of momentum I've ever seen in the hook swinging platformer styles of games. It is also completely free, that and the music is really nice.

A Story About My Uncle.

It's good, very linear though. You basically swing through some puzzles and do some platforming to learn about a crazy scientist uncle who went missing.

I really love the grapple-arm in the reboot, but the level designs themselves are fairly meh, you don't get to really exploit it fully on all but a handful of levels. When you do though, it's great fun

I think most of the creativeness with the grappling hook come with the challenge rooms and secrets.

Artstyle is a bit offputting but I'll give them a shot, thank you.

Holy god no, stay away or turn off your brain completely if you don't want to suffer brain/cringe damage

Sure is summer here.

nothing says summer like a game everyone's played!

Besides the swinging I found it pretty mediocre I'll be honest.

How come? Is it bad story wise or gameplay wise or both or what?

Gameplay definitely sucked to the point i barely managed to get through the "tutorial" level and didnt feel comfortable at all either with kb+mouse or controller.

Just play Rearmed and use emulator to play the original Nes-version after that because it's one of the best NES-gaems ever.

That's what I'm doing user.

yes

That's because using your web to "grapple forward" is fucking stupid, you swing around and jump

The remake is totally worth it for 3 bucks or whatever is was on sale. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I played it on pc with kb+m and it was fine.

probably just sucks ass.

But yea rearmed is great a love it.

Looking through Rearmed's reviews is suffering. Have none of these people actually played the nes game?
WHY

Buddy I am currently playing Rearmed. In fact I'm on the final level.

Why would you subject yourself to that kind of torture?

God, I've forgotten just how much I liked the remixes in that game.
I've never had the chance to play Rearmed 2, how is it? I kinda avoided it because of added jumping and it being a ps3 exclusive.

fucked up the embed

Fuck. I meant reboot. the 3d one. with the shitty dread locks.

People liked it though and it was profitable enough to get a sequel.

what? naw.
Links?

Fuck, again. The second part was referring to Rearmed. God damn it.

I think we're all fairly confused here.

Yeah this music was pretty sweet. Hearing the thumping from outside the building and then entering to hear this was really rad. Thank you Viklund.

Best game.

Worms: Armageddon.

hat doesn't count, Urben, since you're the only one who can grapplehook for shit

Got to admit, The Albatross is kicking my ass harder than the challenge rooms I've done so far

I remember that stage. Real annoying bitch. Especially when I had a shitty computer and could only play it in some shitty slo-mo low-framerate state.
Game's still good.

The part I'm having trouble with the most is when you deactive the first three switches and have to go through retractible platforms through the rain. I'm not sure if everything is supposed to be so dark and I even turned up the gamma on my monitor to no avail.
The music is fucking sweet though and the intro with superjoe and spencer rolling and nodding at the camera is great

Races are freaking autistic, I loved it!

Bionic Commando 09 was so bad that the director publicly apologized for the game, and admitted he didn't actually know what the story was about any more. Originally it was just going to be a straight sequel to Rearmed, but the suits meddled with it and insisted it couldn't be. It got changed too fast, too often, and they didn't know what was still in the game or not when it released.

The basic swinging and shooting is pretty fun, but it's too linear and simplistic most of the time, and the story/characters is painfully bad. The fucking plot twist is one of the dumbest I've seen in a while.

I'll second Umihara Kawase though, that game is great.

What's the plot twist?
Wait a fuck is that imagine implying what I think it's implying

Yeah, they just straight up tell you at the end that they used your wife in your arm, somehow. They never say how, they just vaguely claim that's how these prosthetics work, like it's some kind of fucking Eva unit. You spend the game looking for your wife and it turns out she's your arm. And then Super Joe is the villain, a mysterious character appears in one cutscene and then never appears again without explanation, and then you QTE the final boss and it ends. It's got one of the worst endings outside of shit like Limbo of the Lost.

yes
Captain America IS a hydra agent.

Wait why would super joe be the villain

I'm sure there is a masturbation joke there somewhere.

His wife is really dead.

because

wasn't the guy who designed the webswinging in for that working on a new*** game?

No Just Cause 2? I mean, theres no swingan, but a grapple is a grapple. There's a bunch of ways to get off the ground, and go fast or high. The open world feels lazy, but it's just an excuse to cram in as many outposts/cities as possible. It's definitely not a game based off the grapple, but you can use it at any time, and is your greatest tool. It gets on sale cheap, though i wouldnt support squeenix

Energy hook, I looked at it a while back and it felt like it should have never left early access/

This game is pretty neat
store.steampowered.com/app/378750/

This game

this. just cause 2 has awesome grapplan

I wanna be excited about Flinthook, but at the same time the devs at Tribute are SJWs extraordinaire.

If it's good, pirate it, if it's not, don't play it. Celebrate the work user, not the artist.

you don't have this skills to grapple with this hooker.

youtube.com/watch?v=0AmxqRpq1r4

Grapple for PC is really good.

WHY

fucking ruined

Umihara Kawase 3D when?

vore tournament

to be fair this is a remake of the only remotely playable game from Action 52

big tittied lolis are cool, but what about worms?

Fucking SPEEDRUNNERS, mario kart with grappling hooks

actually those guys suck, let's try again

Ninja Fucking Five-O on the GBA
Go play it, fag.

best thing in this game
it's a good game though

I'd like to thank everyone in the thread. You're all Nathan Spencer to me because of how Rad you all are.

I think I have it on that one hard disk I keep pirated vidya on, guess I'll try it out.

No game has ever done grappling as well. Make sure you get the RC standalone client if you intend on playing it.

I prefer my favorite games to stay unpopular so they don't have the price arbitrarily cranked up on ebay.

A Story About My Uncle is pretty good, not sure about the full game but the free demo version is pretty damn good.

Did that thing ever progress beyond an incredibly basic state

if you want we can play together the new expansion. (either lan or from a fake steam)

FUCK YOU

Oh right, almost forgot about that. Really nice for what it is

Anyone have a torrent link or something for Umihara Kawase? With half the pirate sites gone tits up, it's hard to find.

maybe check out environmental station alpha. it's a metroid-ass game with a pretty cool grappling hook. it's fairly short but has an enormous amount of postgame stuff(secrets) if you're into those as well.

Mega Man Zero 2.

While you can, it's only useful for getting over short objects like barrels, and to enhance the reach of the grapple, it actually works quite well. If you still don't agree with it, the game is beatable without jumping, and an unlockable difficulty disables it.

There's also a 360 port. Indeed, the PS3 version has insidious DRM on it preventing you from playing it offline at all. Pirate a cracked version if you want to play it on that.

Has anyone else played Age of Time? That game had some fun hooking.

there's a grappling hook in overwatch

On a character that uses it as a gimmick, and not a proper mobility tool.