Old game

I hate this.
Why do things have to be this way.

Other urls found in this thread:

66.media.tumblr.com/ed00e45faa85c14fef4e85d82898e92f/tumblr_inline_o6f2nnht8k1r9hzhh_540.png
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the sum of all tears

Some companies likely just don't see a purpose in rereleasing various games, either due to a notion that interest is too low (either not enough people asking where it is, or low sales figures for the original releases if you ask me), or perhaps out of spite for the franchise/original rights-holders. Looking at Square-Enix, while I assume most of their stuff older Square or Enix stuff doesn't have much of an issue being emulated, for whatever reason they have refused to put Enix' old stuff on the PSN or VC (nor did the PSP versions of stuff like Star Ocean, SO2, or Valkyrie Profile even see a PSN version). The only exception I know of being ActRaiser.

I'd have loved it if Namco had done a pair of bundled PS3 collections, or even cheap PSN rereleases, for both .hack subseries, but they seem content to ignore the series existence out here these days, PxZ aside.

I'm surprised how common this is.

I can understand maybe them wanting to make sure it's treated as well as they themselves treated the game, but I wouldn't be shocked if in a number of cases they're just trading/selling to people that don't even have an interest in playing it, just owning it.

Better yet, it's a prototype or was never actually was released despite being completed and the owner refuses to sell it or dump the rom/iso online.

Is it worth it to put custom firmware on ps3 just to play one ps2 game?

T-thanks…

Hardcore collectors are the fucking worst.

there's a cabal of people out there who are dedicated to keeping certain games specifically within their little circlejerk of friends, and have been known to spend many times the normal asking price just to ensure an "undeserving" collector doesn't end up with a copy of a specific title.

If memory serves, one of them a few months back decided to jump ship and, as some sort of fuck you, flooded the high end collector market with entire shipping cases of rare game cartridges.

This is why you get those carts you can put roms on. Those work alright, right? It seems to be a common enough problem for you, might be worth the investment.

I just want to own physical copies of my favorite Saturn games god damn it. At least I can get the jap version of Burning Rangers at a reasonable price.

Here's some more info regarding the bit at the end about flooding the market.

What's wrong with coolrom?

I think they force you to install a browser extension that has been reported as adware.

I remember people were developing a SD card reader for the Saturn. Damn, I hope it become a reality.

I had to disable adblock to get it going but it didn't ask me to install anything

Why do people use anything other than emuparadise? Did it just not have what you wanted?

oh no, i always use emuparadise, but when i was younger and didn't know any better i remember using coolrom a couple of times so i was curious as to what was wrong with it

I still don't fully understand this.
The overhead for leaving something up for sale is so trivial as to be non-existent.

Many of these companies have their own infrastructure already in place to put up some "Legacy" section on their servers/storefronts/webpages in the space of an afternoon. And from that point on the only support they would have to provide for it would be in direct proportion to the amount of customers and money it's generating.

It can really only be written off as spite in the current year.

I mean, in some cases I can see it easily being spite (Square and Enix used to be competitors, and since I've heard rumor that when they structured the merged company, Square employees got put up top, I can see some of them having something against redistributing Enix' old stuff), but there's other cases where I assume maybe the company just doesn't see any point. Like, maybe Namco assumes that barely any western Tales fans would want to play a Tale sgame older than Symphonia, so they haven't bothered to put Destiny or Eternia on the PSN despite those games going for $75-100 and $90-120 respectively where I live, or something. Or maybe there's legal issues somewhere preventing them, I don't know (why would Breath of Fire III PSP suddenly be added to the US PSN when the physical PSP port was never brought this far west, but the original PS1 version wasn't cleared for it?).

In some cases though, the lack of a rerelease is also a regional issue (In Japan they've got stuff like SaGa Frontier 1 and 2 and Brave Fencer Musashi on their PSN; we don't out here), and in others worldwide (I'm pretty sure none of the PS1 Tales games are on the PSN in Japan either, but that might be because, Eternia aside, they have better versions for the PS2 and PSP).

I played through it once and enjoyed it but when I went back to it everything just felt wrong no matter how much I tweaked setting with DOSBox.

This isn't entirely relevant to the thread but maybe if I bitch enough about Blood I'll bring a port into existence through meme magic.

legal issues sounds fairly plausible now that I think about it.
I would not be surprised if there were jewish tricks at play preventing them from pressing or distributing old games.

It must suck to be an ideological poor faggot, but I guess that's the price you pay. I'm gonna go play some Saturn games you PC gamers won't be able to for some time. Maybe later I'll throw a 10-player saturn bomberman session with some buddies.

Again, I think in most cases it's probably a belief that people wouldn't be interested in various older games in [CURRENT YEAR], so they never get put up. Ideally every older game might be given a fair shot at a rerelease, and while there's certainly a handful of the harder to find, more expensive to buy physically games on the VC and PSN, it's mostly the popular stuff that's easily made its way up there (I expect that for franchises that Nintendo and Sony both own, there's more leniency for something being less popular than it might be for a third party game being rereleased). I mean, something like Final Fantasy VII getting on the PSN was likely a no brainer for both Square-Enix and Sony, but for something that was a lot less popular, both the publisher and Sony might not feel it's worth paying rent on the PSN slot/taking up a PSN slot. Looking at a game I like that wasn't received too well (Koudelka) it doesn't surprise me that it's never gotten a PSN rerelease, most likely due to poor sales and iffy reception when it originally released.

Also might be issues where the rights are completely muddied due to the original publisher(s) going out of business, especially if no one picked the rights up in a bankruptcy auction, or whatever. With Koudelka, I'm not sure who had more power over it between SNK and Infogrames, but Infogrames has since gone defunct.

Why didn't you play it when it first came out.

66.media.tumblr.com/ed00e45faa85c14fef4e85d82898e92f/tumblr_inline_o6f2nnht8k1r9hzhh_540.png