Game Engines

Whats your favorite game engine?

Whats your favorite proprietary game engine?

Whats the best physics engine?

Who has the best dev kit?

What are some things your hoping you'll see in the future?

Source 2 when?

Also Rockstar Advanced Game Engine (RAGE) is best engine

Also the Super Mario 64 Engine

Same engine

Do you guys think Gamebryo will ever be decent?

Source and unreal 3. Source because it runs on everything and ue3 because of the mods and the general feel.

Yes, it always was a fairly decent engine, despite the fact that Bethesda made a million shitty custom modifications to it and ruined it.

I hope you get smallpox.

The original Unreal engine.

That whole post was maybe a little bit to short. What I like about source is that it really runs on everything. Whenever I get a new computer I try to run cs 1.6 (gold source, the old engine) and cs:s on it and even cs:s runs on almost everything. Like our school laptops, really shitty devices that were made as cheap as possible, could run 1.6 and half life. Slightly better computers could run a pirated copy of cs:s too (the pro 2007 version).

Other than that I love the movement in source engine games. Well this kind of depends on the devs too, you can fuck it up if you suck, but most source engine games have decent movement.

I like ue3 because they also run on weak computers. UT3 for example also worked on some shitty laptops I had.

Also modding. Look at games like chivalry or ut3. Those games can be modded to be entirely different games. You can turn UT3 into a crash derby game. UT2004 (older engine) could be turned into a modern shooter, can't remember that mods name right now, but it was similar to cs.

The only thing I dislike is the way you move around in most ue games, UT3 and ut2k4 or killing floor all feel like you are a very heavy big box instead of a character. You can't jump over tiny fences and shit like that.

why? what's wrong with ue3? was it made by jews?

maybe gamebryo 2

I really like what Capcom have managed to achieve with MT Framework.

Bethesda already forked Gamebryo into the creation engine without much decent results

Whats strange is that they have the full rights to the ID Tech Engine and so far all they did with it is nuDoom

impressive

You'd have to be crazy to shit talk modern Unreal.
MT Framework, of course.

I like Serious Engine, too.

You guys ever heard of the Freescape Engine?

It was perhaps the first 3D game engine ever made in history, and ran on the fucking Commodore 64. It was also one of the first engines that was abstracted from the core game

Whats even more impressive, they released a fucking SDK for it. The 3D Construction Kit and 3D Construction Kit 2, both ran on the C64

Serious Engine
and
Serious Engine *

Is that the engine that Sentinel (?) runs on? All I know is that it was a 3D game on the C64.

I don't believe so. Seems to be an entirely inhouse engine used only for that game

Do you mean an actual Source 2 or another Source 2?

Valve has been hesitantly adding the Source 2 label onto several Source engine updates since the L4D2 engine update. They did it with the Portal 2 update, then Dota 2. I lost count after that and most people already forgot.

An actual Source 2 is probably never going to happen, seeing as their more worried about constantly cashing in on freemium games and selling hats in every shape and form. HL3 may as well be a meme as Valve could never risk blowing their one shot at proving they can still make games. They've lost so many talented employees and replaced them with talentless hipsters. There's no one left at Valve except the people who maintain Steam and worthless hipster trash.

Goldsrc is the best little bastard child that ever existed. Most people think it was originally created by Valve but it's actually a heavily modified quake engine.

I am pretty sure that even the biggest Valve fanboy knows this.

FIFY

In all honesty, I agree. Seems that only fucking Croteam wants to keep working with it despite it obviously having quite a powerful head on its shoulders with object count and map size.

Well, AFAIK Team Fortress 2, CS:S, CS:GO, and Gmod all run on Source MP or Source Multiplayer, which is based on Source 2009 with a serverside physics model. Half-Life 2 runs on Source 2007(?) Left 4 Dead runs on Source 2009. I believe Portal 2 runs on Source '09 as well. and Dota 2 runs on Source 2. Supposedly Valve doesn't want to update their older games because it'll break mod compatibility. Since Source 2 was created because Source 1 became too bloated with feature creep

the forgelight engine is pretty dope

heh heh

rioght?

i thought fallout 4 was on the new id tech engine too?i know it uses the new level editor software

fragops

What? That's exactly what they did with the Steampipe update. Every Source game was upgraded to Source 2012 IIRC, and all .gcf files containing game data were converted to .vpk, even for old games on GoldSrc. It's why any mods installed for Goldsrc and Source games have to be in a "custom" folder now, you can't just drag and drop into the main cstrike, hl2, css, etc folder. Among lots of other mods, the update broke SMOD for Hl2 and since the modding team hasn't been present in years it's most likely still broken.

the deus ex/hitman engine

I was playing GTA V for the first time in a couple months because I had nothing better to do, and I noticed that reflections are done exceptionally well and stand out even more when it's night time.

I'm very fond of the Doom engine and all its source ports. I'm not saying it's the best damn engine in the world or anything but I quite like all the things you can do with it.

Consolefags all complain that GTA V has shitty undetailed terrain. Fuck Consolekiddies, GTA V looks fucking gorgeous on max settings. Those screenshots I took look compressed as fuck because they were taken on the in-game phone and converted, but you can see what the world looks like with the grass setting set to Ultra. Yes, grass does have its own settings in the graphics menu

Id Tech 1-5 may seem somewhat dated now, but at the time they were considered state of the fucking art. John Carmack is still one of the most talented programmers of all time. Damn shame the engines themselves never saw much use outside of Id Software. But Id Tech forks make up much of the FPS Engines we still se today, from the Source Engine to the engine that runs CoD. So its safe to say it was very influential nonetheless

When it's used by competent developers.
Too bad Firaxis is turning into shit nowadays.

Goldsrc, although my love for it is almost entirely nostalgic.

You should see Watch Dogs at dawn when it's raining, I swear it looks almost real.

what engine is that?

It's Gamebryo.

wasn't Bully done in Gamebryo?

I love source, not sure if it's just nostalgia or how impressive it was and still kinda is today or because of years of playing mods or because a ton of my favorite games were made in it, but goddamn I love it

Anyone that loves Source has never tried to make a sizable project in it. Shit can be horrifying. Just stick to Quake sourceports.

IDtech 2 and 3 + derivatives.

Fuck off gook.

what is that?

Yeah that's what I meant. I love them for how they held up at launch and how it's been expanded on.

I honestly can't think of a game's modding community that has more staying power than Doom's, but I suppose somebody else might know better.

A lot of good shit has been mentioned already, so I will give a nod to Geo Mod 2.0

I thought Bully was done in Renderware along with GTA 3 to San Andreas

The Source Engine was able to stand the test of time because of the modding community. Which extends to games like Gmod,. We remember it fondly because it had a profound effect on internet culture in general. What millions upon millions of people experienced with Source is with its games and its mods. There was a PC modding community before Source, but Source allowed the average pleb to decent (at the time) tools to make mods for popular games using it. But as said, the current Source SDK is riddled with workflow problems that prevented it from ever seeing use outside of modding.

Valve is planning on releasing completely revamped dev tools along with Source 2s release outside of Dota, so we'll see what happens

One of the greatest things the Source Engine is capable of that is one of its more underrated features that no other game engine can do is Really good looking CG movies with Source Filmmaker with easy to use and free tools

If we could lock RFGO and JC into a room and force them to fuck until they get a baby, I would fuck that baby.

I'm not even big on tech but Serious Engine is made of black magic. I was running Serious Sam: TFE on my Thinkpad X200 through Wine and still getting 50FPS+ in large areas with with lots of enemies at high settings.

Meanwhile Dominions 4 chugs during battle scenes with a shitload of units even on minimum settings. Considering Dominions is made by 2 guys I can forgive this, but when you compare what Croteam could (and is still doing) in terms of optimization to basically any other AAA dev it's downright shameful how hard they stomp everyone else.

was there a name for it?

having used the source 2 alpha tools, they are a regression in workflow.

Goldsrc did it first and did it better.

The BUILD engine is the perfect game engine, all others are either trash or gaudy showcases delivering shallow experiences.

People just call it the Super Mario 64 Engine. Shigeru Miyamoto initially confirmed Ocarina of Time used the same engine. The legacy expanded with Ocarina of Time and Majoras Masks remakes

I also remember reading Banjo Kazooie used the same engine as well

Really? Well fuck, its still in alpha so we'll just have to wait and see

Don't Source and Goldsrc both use the same mapping tools?

It's not the exact same editor, but very similar - most of the toolchain was like this and it ended up being a hindrance rather than a benefit.

Bully was done in RenderWare then later done in Gamebryo used in remake.

By the way, they used the RenderWare for GTA 3 till GTA LVS.

I meant to post VCS.

was also a good engine. Looking at how engines turn out lately they all kinda seemed good back then. CoD MW2 and 3 for example also worked in pretty shitty laptops.

These days you don't have that shit anymore. I got a i7 6700k and a rx480 and a lot of games still run shitty.

And on top of that they are usually glitchy and buggy too. I don't remember old games being this shit.

I like engines that used bsp map formats. They are much easier to create new levels for. That's why games like Quake, Doom, HL1, and HL2 are still getting new maps created by fans.

I'm consistently impressed with what Capcom has been able to do with the MT Framework engine. It seems great for "doing a lot with a little," making relatively low-fidelity assets look really good in action.

The M&B:Bannerlord engine looks pretty good.

I mostly tried mapping for GoldSource and got really fucking frustated with VHE/JackHammer. Im a guy with high standarts when it comes to making stuff like maps and models and i don't even fulfill my own standarts.

aren't most games run on modified engines from 15+ years ago?
last time I checked COD still ran on a modified quake engine.
what new engines have been made as of late?

Yeah and they're a pain in the ass. Brush-based mapping is an art, but it's arduous.

Not to mention Source still has hardcoded limits for brushes, entities, etc.

Torque engine has been free for a while, but everyone uses Unreal and Unity.

Never thought I'd read that.

Dunno if this counts. But I'm very excited thinking of the possibilities of the Outerra engine.

I honestly never really liked any implementation of Gamebryo, always looked off to me. Be it in Civ4, the Pirates! remake or Divinity 2.

it would make a really cool road trip simulator with a wheel .fuck it how about world truck simulator? pretty good i'd say.

A superpower 3 with that engine.

Most modern shooter engines are based on Id Tech, CryEngine or Unreal. Id Tech being big in CoD and in the form of the Source Engine. CryEngine big on Crysis and Ubisoft games like Far Cry, and Unreal is prevalent everywhere else. Then you get proprietary engines like the Rockstar Advanced Game Engine or Fox Engine.

You should check out the Xash3D Engine, its a game engine built with the Goldsrc SDK and is compatible with Goldsrc while also adding some modern graphical improvements and new platform support like Android. So if you want to play HL1 on your smartphone there you go

was gonna post this.

Id Tech used to be programmed by John Carmack himself. He was able to implement the Id Tech 1-4 engines entirely in C/C++. The man was talented as fuck as a programmer.

Then he left and Bethesda now has the rights to it. Which just leaves us with nuDoom

honestly im not sure how well that would work. it would be a cool experiment, but if anythng the last few years showed that bigger doesnt necessarily mean better when it comes to traditional game genres.

although i could envision a survival type game where your goal is to travel a few dozend kilometers through the wildernes with the stars and sun as your only guides, trying to find enough food, and not getting killed by packs of wolves in the night.

I like UE4 because it lets me hide the fact that I'm a hack fraud developer

I was under the impression he made them free.

Every dev that ignored that engine did their part to destroy games. Made the competition look like the parasites they were however force memed by reviewer scum. Common: Put something great next to something else, some will think they are both on equal terms.

Would be a fitting remey for a Troika game to use the idtech3-5 engines.

Rage with the right kind of AA and post processing looks great. Small hubs have more character than entire games.

The Darkness is somewhat how things could have gone if they picked the right engine.

Rage wasn't as serious as it needed to be.

A V game could use effects to make combat interesting. Slow-mo, breif flashes of enemy position, slow-mo also enabling wall running, high jumping etc. Combat a relaxed atamosphere to be savoured.

Toying with a terrorised enemy like a cat. Wrong, but most deserve infinately worse.

Gameplay about maintaining that relaxed attitude. Gunplay included. The slower things are the better they look. Stranger. Make things slower by blood.

I liked the Hedgehog Engine. Great lighting.

Frostbite is a pretty good engine. And GTA's RAGE is really fucking good. Even on PS4 there are times when I'm playing GTA 5 that it looks like I'm watching a video of someone flying around a helicopter in real life. The water effects are especially good, and when the city gets shrouded in fog and it's just starting to become dawn it looks like real life. First person mode seems to make it look even better.

Great rendering engine, sure, but gameplay's constrained to, well, Sanic type stuff.

I hope Sega releases a public version someday.

My nigga. The first Unreal Engine was amazing.