Nes general

Can we get a Nes thread going? Discuss what games, homebrews, or hacks you've been playin/replayin. Pic related is a god tier homebrew. Anyone got any modern Nes games as good as Streemerz?

Other urls found in this thread:

nesworld.com/article.php?system=nes&data=neshomebrew
romhacking.net/hacks/8/
archive.fo/7L2FH
pastebin.com/QP3nuEXr
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Remember the time where nintendo became so draconian they forced companies to only make a number of games for them unless the company paid them "royalties"?

To be fair, look at Nintendo now, most third party devs avoid the shit out of them.

Is NES homebrew common? Does anyone know approximately how many titles have been released in the last few years?

The only ones who got proper coverage and got to use their actual company's names are the ones that had plenty of money to toss at jewtendo. They have always been slimy to the ones that actually make the fucking vidya.

It's fairly common, but still very niche. Don't know how many have been released, but here's a list of homebrew roms.
nesworld.com/article.php?system=nes&data=neshomebrew

Yeah, I don't think people really understand how shitty Nintendo has ALWAYS been. Not saying Sony, Microsoft, and EA are any better.

I miss Sega.

Microshit is a given but that's a pretty bold statement you are making there.

Cool, thanks

Yeah, you are right, I am just so fucking done with all of these companies being crap and when you go dig on what they have done in the past it gets even worse. All about that money and sweet control.

Best NES romhack coming through!

you know, i didn't realize this but I don't think I've ever seen a must-play list for the NES

I've actually been trying to put together an image (albeit not just "must-plays" but stuff people can generally consider looking into) since the ones I have seen were a bit lacking, but NES/FC discussion isn't the most common, so it's been a bit hard to get all that much input. I can post what I've got so far in a few if people want though (right now it's just a text doc list).

Have any of you ever played Moon Crystal?

Post it you nigger.

Holy shit, why have I never even heard of this one? Why did so many good nes games have to be released as the console was dying?

This is the first time I hear about this game.

I'm gonna play the fuck out of this

Look at these fucking nerds.

Okay, currently have these, between taking some from existing images people had posted as a base, as well as what other anons had said was still missing from it. I figure it could use further refinement (also would be nice to know if JP FC games had a standard box art size/proportion at that point like the US boxes seem to have had, or if they were prone to just being whatever size the publisher wanted).

I'll make a proper compilation and post it here when I have the time.

Which is why competitors are a good thing

Does anyone have that Nintendo Power archive? It was removed from archive.org

That's a 16-bit console released in late 1989 dumbass.

Try the share threads, they might have some sorta pdf or some shit. Also, try the Wayback Machine. Sucks that NoA took that down, fuckin jews.

They really had no reason for that if you ask me, unless they're smelling blood in the water and wanting to release some pricy collection of them or something down the line themselves.

You'd think old scans from now defunct magazine would be safe from DMCAs, but apparently not.

If you mean things to add to the list, go for it. I'm still trying to gather good box art images for what's on there as possibilities already.

I was talking about making one of the Holla Forums's recommended charts with the box art and shit, but if you're already making one, then that's cool. You should a separate section to add homebrew games though.

Yeah, again, it's been slow, due in part to NES discussion not being as common as some other systems, and in some cases trying to find good box art scans isn't the easiest thing (and fuck Nintendolife, Mobygames, and whoever else loves to slap their watermark on various box/cover images as if they owned the art itself; they just make things more difficult at times). In the meantime, further suggestions for additions would be helpful.

I plan on making separate sections for games that saw western releases and ones that had fan translations. I suppose I can also have some for JP only games that are playable without needing to know moon, as well as homebrew games (though I'm not certain as to how much of an effort there is for it, and I'd also need a way to represent them when there's no box art available to use).

Probably because they wanted to focus all their attention in the west on the Super Nintendo, out of fear of looking like a dinosaur compared to Sega.

the cover project is an OK resource. iirc if you visit the game pages for the individual games on mobygames they don't have the cover art.

yes, sega's marketing really kicked the siht into nintendo.

I mostly just run quick searches for covers that look to be high quality for a given game (colors seem right, minimal creasing, no fucking watermark), and I certainly know about TCP (Cover Galaxy as well); I just don't like needing to crop more than necessary for these, but still.

What's always funny is when Google fails to give you what you're looking for, yet something like Yahoo images will for whatever reason (an original label DMC3 SE cover for the PS2, for example, back when I was first working on that one).

just how much extra shit did they pack into their cartridge?

Sega is at their renaissance right now.
I mean, they are even officially endorsing ROM hacks on Steam, for fuck's sake.
I hope their new line of management continues.

People always post Extra Mario Bros., but always forget about Mario Adventure and Super Mario Bros 3Mix.

Huh, apparently some company named Hect made that. Checking what else they did, it seems that they made, among others, a turn-based strategy game called "Stealth" for the SFC about US soldiers in Vietnam (which was never brought west), a US Presidential election sim for the SFC called "America Daitōryō Senkyo" (never brought west either), and an action game called "Holy Striker", which was brought west as Firestriker.

No, Have you ever played Solomon's Key and unlocked everything?

I miss those days too, user.

Both of those sound amazing. I'm going to have to check them out.

I played it, but I didn't unlock everything.

Been playing Metroid. The board seems to have eaten my thread. Game is fun, but there's a line between exploration and a forensic crime scene search.

Also, this fucking ROOM
REEEEEEEEE

just pull out the nintendo power maps, it's the only way to preserve your sanity.

also

trying to beat Marble Madness

That's the thing, while Super Metroid aged like fine wine, Metroid aged like milk. If you want to play a much better nes game with exploration and shootin, play The Guardian Legend. Shit holds up better than a good 95% of the nes library.

Every so often I replay Wizards and Warriors 3.

Zero Mission also works in a pinch

Not saying it happened, but the OP of that thread could have been shitposting hard and got a board-wide post deletion.

I was the OP. I think it just got eaten.

Also, I have beaten Kraid. Do I stick with the plasma beam or go back to get the ice beam again?

How the fuck does a thread die that quickly with only three bumps?
Get the ice beam nigger.

I've been playing a lot of a game called Layla that's sort of like a mix between the original Metroid and the original Super Mario Bros. It's completely linear(in fact it doesn't even scroll backwards, just like in SMB1), but you're given a variety of different weapons that you have to use to advance through the game. As far as I can tell, it was only released in Japan, but strangely the entire game is in English.

ice beam, you need it for the metroids.

Why the hell do red doors in Metroid take five missiles to open when they could as well have been opened with one missile?
WHY THE HELL DO RED DOORS IN METROID TAKE FIVE MISSILES TO OPEN WHEN THEY COULD AS WELL HAVE BEEN OPENED WITH ONE MISSILE?

Plasma and Wave beam are fantastic. Unfortunately, because of the endgame in Tourian, you do NEED the Ice Beam.

Aren't there 2 ice beams or am I thinking of another beam?

I can sympathize with whoever left this message at the beginning, I also now know what it's like to fail here.

going to have to come back to this when i've had some sleep.

I got it in the first area, but I'm pretty sure there's a second one in the second area because I picked up another blue ball and it did nothing.

I actually got stuck for an hour before going online and finding out about this.

I've never heard of two ice beams
That said, if you revisit the statues, you can get the beams again.

managed to stop sucking after i slept and hooked up a control.
Pretty damn good gameplay.

did you know Hiroshi Yamauchi wasn't actually a human being? He was a vessel that enclosed 7 yakuza oni spirits from 7 different regions in Japan. These oni monopolized the gambling in Japan with the hanafuda Nintendo cards and put a spell so that no other company could produce cards, truly evil.

Yamauchi, often referred to as "大魔王 ティラノ天堂" (Great Evil King Tyranotendo), tyranized the video games market with his monopolic practises, it is said that the Master System or the PC Engine didn't actually ever exist, and that they were invented time after so hide the fact that the Famicom was actually the one and only console existing in Japan.

some 10/10 history right there

From the Castlevania thread:
romhacking.net/hacks/8/

for what purpose?

Those are some great tunes.

Who turned off the light?

The intent is to give it a more Hammer-esque look to the game. It's a nice attempt anyway.

Oh. This one needs TEN. So now I have to go all the way back.

Fuck you Sakamoto!

you probably like putting ketchup on steak too

You can get the Ice Beam in both Brinstar and Norfair. I think you're supposed to get it in Norfair first, the one in Brinstar is there as a secret convenience so you don't have to go back to Norfair and get it on your way to Tourian I imagine.

I'll argue that the one in Brinstar is the "canonical" one since it's where you get it in Zero Mission (which is effectively a Metroid remake)

On the other hand, Super Metroid had it in Norfair, too.

HE'S GONNA TAKE YOU BACK TO THE PAST

TO PLAY THE SHITTY GAMES THAT SUCK ASS

HE'D RATHER HAVE

A BUFFALO

TAKE A DIARRHEA DUMP IN HIS EAR

HE'D RATHER EAT THE ROTTEN ASSHOLE

OF A ROADKILLED SKUNK

AND DOWN IT WITH BEER

HE'S THE ANGRIEST GAMER YOU'VE EVER HEARD

HE'S THE ANGRY NINTENDO NERD

HE'S THE ANGRY ATARI SEGA NERD

HE'S THE ANGRY

VIDEO GAME

NERD

This user is my fucking nightmare. He's an incoherent piece of living pile of vomit and shit!

AVGN is like watching a Troma movie.

Overrated and full of 12 year old comedy.

For Super FamiCom lovers, this shit actually works:

Finally have a tested working SFC game working on the SupaBoy confirmed!

Troma is jewish so it's also perverted and kosher.

I meant it was a nice attempt at trying to match the the visuals of the old Hammer films. Obviously it's ill advised considering the color palette of the NES.

I put ketchup on my well done filet mignon and you can't stop me from enjoying it.

Yeah, it's not like EA was responsible for murdering shitton of great devs almost since the beginning of their existence, not to mention how they always forced their devs to rush games, they rush development even today. Or let's forget the rest of their shitty business practices.

No one can surpass EA yet, perhaps the only exception is MS and that's mostly for their monopolization. And honestly, at worst Nintendo was almost no different from Sony, another company which treated the devs like trash as well, too bad SEGA killed their own consoles because alienated third party devs came to Saturn and then to Dreamcast, unlike retarded Sony which wanted only 3D games, SEGA didn't screw them and instead SoA just didn't localize 2D games for the west.

Also, post Nintendon't webm.

Zelda meets MGR

archive.fo/7L2FH

Good times. Wondered if I should do this again sometime. Thanks for reminding me this thing actually exist, OP.

I am so fucking hyped for NES Classic coming out.

I can't wait to play comfy like the AVGN in the middle of the night, with 8-bit graphics and music.

I have a question though, will there be PAL and NTSC versions? I'm from Europe and I don't want the shitty PAL version.. I want 60 fps and smooth gameplay!

What, you mean that 30-in-1 box for $60? You might want to double check what all it's coming with; from what I heard in discussions around its announcement, it's missing a lot of worthwhile stuff.

What is it missing?

I get a controller and 30 games with good replay value that I can play for years.

The only thing I'm worried about is the short cord for the controller, and whether there will be PAL/NTSC differences.

Well, it only has 30 games on it, and I'm not certain if you're able to add anymore to it. It only comes with the following:
Looking right there, it seems to mostly be some of the better known, more popular stuff, but there's plenty missing. And then there's some strange choices, like why is Castlevania II there (I assume they're not going to bother retranslating it) yet Castlevania III isn't?

With as little space as NES games take up, I highly doubt there's a space issue, but maybe they decided they wanted to charge $60 for it at $2 a game and thus the thirty they choose is all anyone gets?

Just played through it, and holy shit did they drop the ball. I was expecting just a recolored version of Castlevania, but they fucked with the stages, to the point where some areas are completely unbalanced.

30 is fucking alot.

I never understood why Super C is there, instead of Contra. It's technically the better game, but it's less iconic. Same shit as the virtual console, does Konami just never let Nintendo have the original Contra?

Not really when you have an entire library to pick from and file space isn't going to be an issue. Hell, I think even some of the Sega related plug-and-play style systems have had more than just 30 games.

I mean, if there's enough there for you, then I guess that's your choice, but I think most anons are more than content with emulating these days. Hell, even if you're the sort to buy stuff off the VC (or PSN for that matter), it simply doesn't have everything worthwhile there is for the systems on it.

According to Wikipedia, Contra is on the VC, albeit only in Japan. Maybe because it's the MSX2 version instead of the NES/FC one and that one never came over here? I don't know.

Very nice list.
Needs kunio kun no nekketsu soccer league (Goal 3) and joy mech fight.
Maybe Joust and Galaxy 5000.

Emulation just isn't the same.

I want to sit back on bed, wrapped like a cocoon, comfy holding a real NES controller playing real NES games on a real 90's television, in the middle of the night while it's raining outside.

30 is enough games, especially considering how it has core/essentials with alot of replay value (Mario, Zelda, etc) that can keep one entertained for years. Checking for easter eggs, 100%ing a game, getting good, it's perfect.

Just want that AVGN comfyness.

I recently built an authentic NES from scratch, using a custom built emulator chipset that's superior to the original hardware. It plays games even better than the real thing.

Is there going to be NTSC and PAL versions?

Outside of Double Dragon II/III, Bubble Bobble, Twin Bee and Contra/ Super C, what are some good NES co op?

nintendo world cup
teenage mutant ninja turtles 2 the arcade game
gradius

Gradius? Do you mean Life Force?

These should be all licenced co op games for the NES.

pastebin.com/QP3nuEXr

Question marks are ones I'm unsure of whether they have co op or just vs mode.

nah, I misspelled sky shark

He asked for co op games, and I don't think any Gradius games outside of Life Force offer simultaneous multiplayer

I had to download the rom to check, my entire life has been a lie.
I've been remembering an entirely different game whenever the name is mentioned this whole time.

Playing it. the production values are amazing, but it's hilariously clunkier than even Castlevania. Your player has way too much inertia

Dragon Quest 4. At the Torneko chapter right now, it's pretty funny.

You're responsible for the other 8/v/ reccomends images aren't you?

Is there any place online or a board on here where I can find these images? I'd hate to make a thread every time I want an update on this shit.

Yes. Well, most of them. The user that used to make the Xbox threads wanted to do his own for the OG Xbox, which I respected. All I did was give him some layout advise.

Well, "recommended game images/infographic" threads happen relatively frequently (to the annoyance of some), and every so often I poke through them to make sure what people are posting is up to date.

Aside from just waiting around for a thread, I know there's one user that started an imgur to compile them at back when the entire site was shitting itself as far as posting images go (text only posts went through a lot easier, thus an outside link with them dumped there would get through much more reliably than an ~8 MB image, which at times would take full minutes to even attempt to post). However, Imgur apparently puts some really nasty compression on images to get them under a certain filesize, and for stuff where legibility is key, being overly compressed makes them look like shit and potentially be hard to read (pic related; highlighted rectangle is what the section of the DS chart looks like when right under filesize limit for Holla Forums, and you can see in the other parts what it looks like at 100%, as well as lower quality).

I've considered maybe making my own site to dump stuff I make on without needing to worry much about compression, since I know some HTML and CSS, but I don't have the money for a domain or hosting. Plus it seems a bit unnecessary now that the image posting issues here have been more or less resolved months back. I can just post stuff whenever it's in progress or finished or updated, or just someone asking about it in a thread.

NES? What's NES? Is it some shitty Dendy rip-off from China?

I'd add Power Blade 2, Super Spy Hunter, Zen - Intergalactic Ninja, Darkwing Duck and maybe Mitsume ga Tooru and Rockin' Kats to that list.

Unlike the first game, Power Blade 2's stages are completely linear, but the presentation and general feel are a massive step up.

Super Spy Hunter's essentially Spy Hunter. Except by Sunsoft. That's all you need to know.
Well, I think it wasn't initially developed to be a Spy Hunter game and just ended up being sold as one later, but it's fuckin' rad.

Zen - Intergalactic Ninja's a Konami game. It's good. You whack shit with a stick from a few different perspectives and deal with stage-based gimmicks while fighting pollution. There are quite a few of them.
Konami.

Darkwing Duck is Mega Man. Without powers from the bosses, but it's Mega Man. Almost if not all the Disney-Capcom games are great.

Mitsume ga Tooru is a breddy gud Famicom-exclusive platformer.
No important text, and there are translations out there.
It's made by Natsume. Kind of feels like a lot of Natsume games. Basic in terms of gameplay, pretty straight-forward, but competent and varied when it comes to the levels themselves.

Rockin' Kats was also breddy gud. Atlus platformer. Blue cat with an extending boxing glove. Whack stuff, grab stuff, throw stuff, grapple and spin on stuff, pogo on stuff. One of those "your main gimmick's used for everything' kind of games.

If not everything, definitely the first four.

Might be worth just scouring through the release lists of the big names that make good games. Sunsoft, Natsume, Konami and Capcom are the first that come to my mind. You find shit like Gremlins II and that Kid Dracula game strewn among the quintessential titles.

I don't just want to be grabbing from general NES lists, as they might not present the best representation of what anons here would want to see on it. What's currently on there has been a mix of games from older Holla Forums (or /vr/) ones where the main issue was that they were too limited in what was even there; this would basically count as being an update.

Anyhow, I'll put those ones you mentioned on there as possibilities, and maybe see what other anons have to say on it before finalizing anything.

dumping the charts I've got, y'all niggers better save em

Or, you can just link him to the thread that's currently up.

Adventure Island I've been having a lot of fun with despite it being a son of a bitch.

There is a Japanese-only Adventure Island 4 (Takahashi Meijin no Bouken-jima IV) with a fan translation available. It looks to be a very well made Metroidvania, but its too easy so I never could get into it.

fugg shoulda checked the catalog. Actually all the ones I own are there so….

Look at it this way: better to create a post without checking the catalog, than to start an entirely new thread without checking the catalog (something too many people do).

Been working off and on another set of infographics for a series I enjoy, but can't quite get it to where I'm satisfied just yet (the pair of Wild Arms ones there took months). Just saying that you might have more to save in the future.

I don't mean just dumping the whole load in there, I mean going through the games and seeing if there's anything remarkable worth adding.
There are classics and things held in high regard, of course, but also some objectively great titles here and there that just don't have much of a following.

Mr. Gimmick, for example, wasn't as well-known several years ago, and it'd deserve a spot on that list even if it didn't have the recognition it has around these parts today.

I guess it depends on how much, if any, personal stake you want to have in the contents of the list.