Hi Holla Forums, have you got any experience with setting up sega saturns to RGB displays...

Hi Holla Forums, have you got any experience with setting up sega saturns to RGB displays? I'll be getting my first BVM soon, and wanted to know if anyone out there is familiar with the kind of SCART cables I'd need to get the best picture.

Other urls found in this thread:

retrorgb.com/saturn.html
retrogamingcables.co.uk/sega-saturn-rgb-av-scart-ntsc-cable-tv-lead-cord-for-sale
retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc
ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn-stereo-csync-RGB-SCART-cable-for-NTSC-model-Saturn-lead-cord-/161614608138?hash=item25a0fb370a:g:2j8AAOxyOMdS5Txr
ebay.com/itm/201638127367
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The best thing the Saturn can do natively is s-video. You'll have to mod it. Even then, some game have transparency issues on s-video and should be played on composite

Saturn can natively do s-video you stupid nigger, kill yourself.

That is literaly what I just said. Unless you mean it can't in which case pic related. faggot

I don't want s-video, its not as good as scart/rgb.

retrorgb.com/saturn.html

I already found this and it seems to be a good solution. thanks anyway
retrogamingcables.co.uk/sega-saturn-rgb-av-scart-ntsc-cable-tv-lead-cord-for-sale
retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc

If you're going to get multiple systems hooked up get a SCART to BNC F adapter from wookiewin on ebay, but retro_console_accessories is usually the go to for SCART cables. Be careful not to mix up SCART with JP-21. if you need to pick up more basics check out video related and their channel. There's not a saturn specific episode yet.

CSync is the best, Sync-on-Luma is comparable. Sync-on-composite is the worst unless you have better shielding. You shouldn't buy cables from that site unless you live in the UK already.

S-Video Cables with the composite RCA usually have shit video.

All Saturns can display RGB natively, stop trying to spread misinformation.

You will need a specifically NTSC Saturn RGB cable though, RetroGamingCables.co.uk stock good ones.

to my knowledge all sega consoles do rgb natively from the master system and up.

for a good seller in the USA, check this out.

ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn-stereo-csync-RGB-SCART-cable-for-NTSC-model-Saturn-lead-cord-/161614608138?hash=item25a0fb370a:g:2j8AAOxyOMdS5Txr

A PVM is a great choice though, pic related is mine.

looks great, but isn't it a big of a pain in the ass to get RGB out of a SNES? Or am I thinking of other Nintendo consoles? For me seeing games like Cotton 2 Magical Night Dreams and Panzer Dragoon in all their glory would be the best part. I'm personally much more of a sega person and when it comes to seeing how Nintendo handled video output for some of their system reaffirms my bias.

I do appreciate the support, I do have a bit more research to do then.

All model-1 SNES do RGB natively. The Mini has to be modded. Later original SNES' and all mini's have a '1-chip' hardware revision that produces better RGB, but mini's have to be modded to restore it, and I use an SNES Mini. Sega has really good RGB but really shitty composite, if you look at the Genesis in particular it's fucking ridiculous to see the difference. For more info I'd still say to watch these: They make pretty cool in-depth videos and have a lot of console-specific episodes that cover the range of options for each system.

For reference, native RGB out can be had on: SNES, GC (Pal Only or component for an assload of money), and component on wii, as well as the Master System, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast (though it's better through VGA), PSX and PS2.

I've seen the RGB master class series of videos, but right now I'm most interested in Saturn which they've yet to cover. Weirdly they covered the far less popular Master System which has a lot more good alternatives over the saturn.

It seems like they're trying to do systems chronologically, but I think I recall them saying Game Boy is next and then I think Screen Geometry, so Saturn might be a while out. Still, seeing as it can do native getting a scart with csync cable is probably still the best, but I wouldn't buy those cables from UK if I didn't have to. Seeing as it's still in the pre-480i territory it should probably be a little less of a mess than the gamecube or dreamcast. Here's the SCART F to BNC adapter I bought as well: ebay.com/itm/201638127367

As a heads up though, you should probably get a pair of speakers to hook up to your BVM, as there's a good chance it just has a basic mono speaker (mine is an endoscopy monitor, so I wouldn't expect it to have wonderful sound). I just got a cheap Stereo RCA F to 3.5mm F and plugged in some cheap PC speakers.

They did cover the playstation, so I'm not sure about your point about it being chronological. Still, thank you for the help.

I'll be getting the BVM and then assessing what I need, and I won't be surprised if I need that set of speakers. Your display does look really nice however.

I mean more chronologically by brand, they started the Nintendo line with NES then moved to SNES, then N64, and they started Sega with the Master system, then did the genesis. I wouldn't be surprised if you needed that. Also, if yours is multiformat it will probably need some more adjustment because those tend to be more prone to color error, at least so I've heard. I love my monitor, I think I got a decent deal on it, but still sometimes I wish I'd have gotten a 31khz monitor. I still like the look of 480i but sometimes the flicker can get annoying, though a lot of games on the wii and gc seem to mitigate that more than the PS2. If you got a 31khz monitor then you're in for a ride, 480p is supposed to look crazy on those.

mine does indeed appear to support 31khz. The one I'm getting is a BVM-D14HU HR Tinitron.

Very cool. Where did you order it, or is it local?

ebay, got lucky and saw one for cheap the hour it went up. Still cost me a decent amount, but all things considered it was probably like 2.5% the original cost.

Yes goi, waste your immensely useful professional grade monitor on silly video games. Instead of its intended purpose. This is pretty much the retro version of constantly showing off your custom computer with twenty leds, like what's the point?

Well at least karma will strike you down with cancer from the exrays

"Hurr durr I'm retarded"
t. retard

why are you calling yourself retarded? guess the CRT is already damaging your brain

seriously you could be using these tools to help you in life but you just use it to play video games. Who's the retard now?

What would you rather use it for, public broadcasting? What's your bullshit excuse for riding on that high-horse?

Well there's one thing directly related to games, you could use it to test input lag

anonymous you aren't a very bright person