Gamecube/Emulation Thread

Let's fix that.

I never owned a GameCube before. But I've heard really good things about Dolphin. What are some "gotta play" GameCube games? Is an actual GameCube worth buying today and playing the games on it?

Other urls found in this thread:

sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/gamecube/nintendont
sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/gamecube/dios-mios
raphnet-tech.com/products.php?category=gamecube
pastebin.com/hicNfpCV
mega.co.nz/#F!WRcEybiS!XkS89zjkXlgscw9AJjXwrQ
wiibrew.org/wiki/QuakeGX
wiibrew.org/wiki/Smashing!
wiibrew.org/wiki/Super_Mario_War_Wii_(Unoffical_Wiigii_Version)
wiibrew.org/wiki/Abe's_Amazing_Adventure_Wii
wiibrew.org/wiki/Syobon_Action_Wii
wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel
wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_homebrew_games
sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/installation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Most of the games on this chart can be considered must play games. Just know that the Gamecube is slowly becoming the new SNES in terms of game prices, so consider emulation as an alternative.

an older-model Wii can play Gamecube games, correct? Do the games run just as fine on the Wii as they did on the original system? I'd like to have an actual system that I can switch inputs over to.

All Wii models can play GC games through Nintendont. Even WiiU can play GC through vWii.

Oh, I see. But with Wii, can I yarhar Wii and Gamecube ISOs to play them on the wii by just putting them on an SD card? well, I guess multiple SD cards, since the game files are at least about 1~3GB each.

They run better on the Wii, more compability with DIOS MIOS, and look better with Wii2HDMI.
Emulate if you can though, the Wii only outputs at 640x480p, and it stretches the image as a psuedo-widescreen and gives it all sorts of ugly artifacts when playing it in an HDTV with RGB cables.

I use Wii2HDMI and convert the signal back to analog with an HDMI to VGA adapter, plug it in to a 4:3 monitor (or a widescreen display in 4:3 mode) and plug in speakers, in widescreen mode. I recommend just getting a display in in native 4:3 though, since the black bars won't bother you and you won't be temped to stretch it out. The better the monitor, the better the image. The internal resolution is still 480p, so it looks sharp as fuck. It's by far, the best image you can ever possibly hope to get without emulating your system.

Also, get a Wii2HDMI like pic related that runs on a native 480p, it looks smoother and doesn't have any post-processing filters like the 1080p scalers, let your HDTV/Monitor's inner tuner upscale it itself. Trust me, you'll minimize jaggies that way.

This as well, I haven't made my Wii U's vii mode support gamecube games though. I haven't been assed enough, I'm unsure if they look better, since the vWii mode looks like it's been plastered in vaseline or something. For a mode that is emulated, it doesn't look as sharp as a native wii system. I should do a comparison sometime, I could be wrong, but don't count on it, I'm VERY analytical.

Cap this post please. I don't want to retype it.

Actually they didn't make a Wii mini. It lacks WiFi and GameCube support.

I capped it for you.

"they Did"

sure fucked that up

Fuck, just noticed some of my typos, I'm sure people will still understand though. Thank you.
Have some re-mastered music tidbits.

NEVER EVER

Does anyone know how I can get a converter to send my component cables for the OG Xbox to HDMI?

Would component cables look pretty good as well? I know in the case of the PS2, it's better-looking imo with the component cables instead of the HDMI adapter. Then again, that's just PS2. I suppose I shouldn't be comparing apples and bananas.

Thanks for all this user, i'll look around on eBay or a local game shop to get a original-model wii on the cheap with that HDMI adapter.

Well, some would argue that a wii that can't play gamecube game isn't a wii.

That there's no god damn point having a wii if you can't play games on it as opposed to pure waggle bullshit.

That the wii was a mistake.

You can use an external hard drive as well, tho, so you can just use one of those instead (Don't use DIOS-MIOS for GC emu, tho, it's hot garbage. Nintendont is the way)

What's the start contrast between DIOS MIOS and Nintendont? And will a 1TB WD Black external do the trick? I was wanting something to put both wii and GC games on

Nintendont has far higher compatability. Like, way higher. I think there's upscaling for Wii U too??? But I use it on Wii and I don't care about extras so you'll have to do your own research and stop making us spoonfeed you for just a bit

And yeah, a 1TB should do you fine. You can pretty much fit every worthwhile GC and Wii game onto a 750GB, maybe even 500 if you know what you're looking for. GC ISO sizes are 1.35 GB, WII WBFS sizes vary but you can usually find them on Darkumbra. Do the research and figure out what you need

I never tested on the PS2, so I wouldn't know. Consider color reproduction, aspect ratio, sharpness and resolution your top priority if you're a vidya purist.
I know that component causes ghosting, but I don't know to what extent on the PS2.
Just do what makes you happy, if it looks good to you, then, it looks good to you!

Nothing, DIOS MIOS has a simple text based interface, the only people that bash it, are the people stupid enough to have never gotten it to work. Nintendon't is fine for the most part though.

What I do know is that DIOS MIOS has higher customization, it has many, many more options, unlike Nintendon't. I use both for the compability+customization combo, Baten Kaitos and Phantasy Star aren't compatible with some older DIOS MIOS revision, but IS with Nintendon't.

It's all up to personal preference. I simply prefer both.

Is something wrong with dolphin 5.0 or is it just me? I used to be able to play Sonic Adventure 2 and Animal Crossing nearly perfectly with slowdowns in Zelda games, but now everything's slow. I might just reinstall or try out that unofficial release that I heard had some improvements.

That's what more I'm concerned with, first and foremost. I'll probably just use that then, and explore the other stuff later.

sweet. They're pretty cheap. I mean, I saw a 500GB for $50, but a 1TB was cut down to $60, so double the space for another $10 is a no-brainer I figure.

Oh I see, I wouldn't mind the text-based interface. Using both like that sounds handy though.

Also.

sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/gamecube/nintendont
Here you go.
It's pretty nifty. I recommend you do this one instead of DIOS MIOS, especially if you're a first timer modder.

The DIOS MIOS page redirects you to Nintendon't now, since the new program is simpler and a baby could do it. A lot of people got frustrated with DIOS MIOS. I think some of the same devs are working on that now, I still prefer DIOS MIOS at times due to the slightly more advanced customization and variet of options, then again, I haven't updated in months, so they may have already rendered DIOS MIOS outdated, we'll see how it goes.
sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/gamecube/dios-mios

Just checked again.
Yeah, they both have their ups and downs. I recommend both, just for that extra oomph of compatibility with each individual program.

sweet, thank you very much user.
Just for the sake of curiousity, will Nintendont stay on the Wii even if it's disconnected from power/turned off? I ask because I know some CFW/homebrew stuff has to be reinstalled if you turn the system off.

Oh I see! Thanks again user.

why does the gamecube controller suck real hard
the dpad is compelte garbage, the shoulder buttons take a billion years to click the fuck in and who the fuck uses the c stick?
not even in sunshine you use the c stick
thsi blows more dick than ever
why the fuck is e very game an anlog stick fiesta of garbage

theres like two games, 1080 avalanche and sonic adventure 2: not on the dreamcast edition

Calm down, son. And yes, the GC controller is bad.

Yeah, the older ones do have full backwards compatibility, at least for things that didn't require certain special addons (the Game Boy Player attachment doesn't work with the Wii, for example). It's the Family Edition and the WiiMini that lack that support as far as I'm aware.

Well, someone's already posted one of them, but here's another image if you want some ideas. Been meaning to update this for a while.

As far as actually buying a Gamecube and games for it go, it's sadly seen a lot of price hikes for various games ever since Gamestop quit actively stocking for it. The actually rare ones are of course pricy (which makes sense of course, but even then stuff like Gotcha Force is completely outrageous in price these days), but even the titles that weren't slouches in sales can be a good $35-40+ (Windwaker was about $45-50 last I saw locally despite having a Greatest Hits print and a WiiU version), especially if from major Nintendo franchises (Metroid Prime 1 and 2 being something of an exception, depending on where you look). And then there's Melee, one of, if not THE, best selling game on the system which still has enough demand to sell for a good $60 preowned (and according to local stores, tends to be lucky if it sits on the shelf an hour unbought when they have it in, let alone five minutes on the counter after being traded in.

The good news is that a modded Wii can play downloaded Gamecube games digitally using a USB device for storage.

I got the official Nintendo component cables, and they looks alright to me. I would imagine that this Wii2HDMI really isn't for people looking for quality, and that it's for people who are using like, computer monitors that don't have component inputs.

I'm loving this thread so far, got the old Wii I though I no longer had (thanks attic!) and it's looking good.

Where can I get some gamecube games though? I'm getting low seeders on the few sites I've gone to…

Emuparadise should have a lot, though they do direct download instead of torrenting.

Again, you'll need to mod your Wii first if you're planning to play downloaded games on it that way. That's assuming you haven't already though.

That shitty GC controller is what prevents me from trying out some classics I missed out on. It looks like a designer barfed buttons on a controller and wanted to see how small the d-pad could be before being unusable.

Thankfully there's emulation that'll let me use any controller I want but I got a working wii recently just collecting dust and stuck with an old video card that the Dolphin team doesn't recommend using.

This chart recommends the Hori pad but I'm guessing not all games can use it.

Are there any decent third party GC controller out there that isn't made for tiny jap hands?

This makes me think: how come with the newfangled promises of 3d printing no user has comeup with a decent redesign of the gamecube (or other) controllers? I would think that smashfags would be all for that.

Yeah, I found a nice $50 wii with component cables and such, just no controllers, which ain't a problem.

Oh nice, you wouldn't happen to have one for Wii games as well would you? I may/may not get into buying wii-game physicals as well. I'm kind of a collectorfag though, to a degree I don't think I'll buy into GC games as a whole though. Like for NDS games. I own a few physical NDS games like EBA, Avalon Code, TWEWY, and one or two others; but the rest I own are all on a flash cart.

Emuparadise. I've been stockpiling PSP, Wii, GC, SNES, NDS, Genesis, etc games from there. Pretty handy ever since coolroms got fucked.

there's a bizzare controller that hitbox has made for smash that is all buttons, the stick are digital buttons, shoulder buttons are digital buttons no analog anywhere, but it's pretty much hori or that.

Yeah, older CFW is perma'd on the system, so only the Wii U and Vita need to be re-installed. Don't worry about it! You're golden, pony boy.

Your list is shit. Kill yourself

I've been using the isozone, just make a bookmark folder and download one or two games everyday from each site to get around the timeout. Assuming they don't use the mirrors.

Might as well buy an adaptor, hell I might do this since I've got a N64 controller I like.

raphnet-tech.com/products.php?category=gamecube

I've only seen 3d printing used in a gaming mouse, most people modify their controllers by adding a sugru like epoxy to change the shape or lengthen the pads.

The Hori pad was a third-party one that wasn't officially brought to US and is unfortunately expensive. And you're right, if a game needs analog input, that controller wouldn't work (it's struck me as being much better suited for 2D input). I'm not too familiar on other third party controllers that directly work with the Gamecube itself.

Much as I like the Gamecube controller despite its quirks, the D-pad certainly is an issue for it. Part of why I'm annoyed that I missed out on the SNES-to-Wii adaptor that would enable using an SNES controller for emulating games on the Wii (they're discontinued) and at the moment I'm stuck with the Gamecube controller for it.

It's still a work in progress (there's not a huge amount of Wii discussion in general, so for the time being I don't feel it's completion-ready), but here. The Wii overall hasn't suffered the same level of price hikes as the Gamecube has, perhaps due to Gamestop still stocking for it. You can still occasionally get lucky on prices with Gamecube games, but it's a crap shoot and my own shelf of them has been pretty slow to pick stuff up for since the prices shot up. At least I can write off needing Melee since no one ever comes over to play it with to warrant picking up a copy for $60.

Before you mention it about the other one up there, I've had a tab whipped up for it already.

are you the user who made this? pastebin.com/hicNfpCV
can you re upload Baroque?

Fantastic!

That's because Godzilla Save the Earth on PS2 is the best Godzilla game there is. The other Godzilla games are hardly worth playing by comparison not that thare aren't good ones, but STE is the best

Thanks!
Probably so. I remember going into a gamestop a good 4 or 5 years ago and seeing a refurbished gamecube with cables available for just $40, and being amazed it was that cheap. I even had that little voice in my head screaming "buy it you faggot" but I didn't. I really should've grabbed one then. No point and kicking myself over that though. I know some Wii games are pretty on up there though simply due to limited printing like Fragile Dreams or Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn. Hell, even used Fragile Dreams is fucking $70. I watched a silent playthrough of Fragile Dreams years ago, and it was kind of confusing, story-wise, but damn was it sad. I cried when his robo-backpack died, and at several other parts. Been ages though, I really should play it for myself.

Thanks for the pointing to emuparadise anons, fired up my vpn because my isp are total fags and got started

I just realized, that Wii list is missing Monster Hunter Tri

>pastebin.com/hicNfpCV
I didn't make the pastebin, but another user did you off of that WIP image. Maybe that user might show up here, but if not you can maybe leave a post in the share thread asking for whoever worked on it to reupload and relink the game

$40 for the Gamecube itself seems about average now; a few years back where I live the system itself was only about $20-25 with the cords and a controller; it's been the games that were the big costs with it.

That's a bit odd with Fragile Dreams though. I think it was maybe about $20 or so a year or two back. Looks like Fucking Gamestop still only wants $25 for preowned copies though, but it's still a bit of a crapshoot on conditions for what they've got.

I've had that as a consideration to add for a while, but I'm not real familiar with Monster Hunter myself. Is Tri still worth playing these days, even with the Wii's native Wifi connection dead since 2014 or so?

Anyhow, might as well list off the current list of possible additions (which have been based on games that other anons have brought up prior) if people want to further refine it.
Wii:

WiiWare (provided I can figure out what to do about image reps, since these didn't have physical releases):
.Driift Mania

Have fun. For some reason my internet connection has been incredibly wonky lately, to the point I don't trust it to download much larger than a couple dozen MBs without encountering issues. Which is odd since it's supposed to be an unlimited usage plan.

This just reminded me, the gamecube had every fucking RE game too.
Aw yiss.

Ah I didn't consider that, with the online being dead. I haven't played it extensively myself, played it on my buddy's Wii though.

I haven't played any of those games, i've heard the Prime Trilogy is good though.

Every RE game that matters anyway aside from Revelations. I liked Revelations. I don't suppose you'd know if Rev 2 was any good?

I didn't know I needed this.

Thankfully for people that like physical copies of stuff, REmake, RE0, and RE4 are still pretty cheap from what I've seen locally (REmake and 0 getting rereleased might have increased availability as well with people selling copies they felt they no longer needed). Unfortunately RE2, 3, and CVX for the Gamecube average like $40 each where I live.

Prime Trilogy's fun (it's the version I have for the Prime games; found it somewhat cheap some years back and had never played them before), but I've heard some people that played the original releases, namely Prime 1 and 2 for the Gamecube, that they found Trilogy to not be as good due to various changes to the controls (admittedly suddenly giving free aim to games that weren't based around it might make things too easy), lores, and certain graphical effects in the GC versions not being used in the Trilogy versions of them. part of why I've been a bit unsure about putting it directly on there.

I like physical copies, but I like thinking of future kids who develop taste not having those around.

Hooray for 8TB of raid10!

I think sadly the current newcomers to vidya are going to be used to various games not having physical copies, assloads of paid DLC, games being broken or outright unfinished at launch, and find it perfectly acceptable since that's what they've known. I seriously hope some of those anons that occasionally post that their younger siblings or cousins ask "what DLC did these games have" about older systems without internet connectivity are just joking, but I really don't know at this point.

Wii user here, here's the game:
mega:///#F!Iw9zTarA!1iflOCCCzec-mUywsymffA

You could also add the wad link and pastebin to the updated chart I guess as well as links to the softmod guide. Also add
The former plays a lot like Katamari Damacy but with eating rather than rolling. The latter is a neat 3D platformer with a weapon building mechanic. The last one is a comfy fishing game. Still no homebrew games? I know the DC list has some.

This is still missing some good games mate

I'm going to have to call your bluff on this one, the Wii2HDMI makes it both look better AND gets rid of any noticeable lag as seen in this video.

vWii U mode has washed out colors, while component has the best colors, but still suffers from some light lag and ghosting.

Here's another video, I mentioned before, but HDMI quality depends heavily on the Wii2HDMI you boy.

The one I have looks smoother, but also has duller colors, while the upscale I have, has amazing color reproduction, but is jaggier and suffer from post effects.
I know there is at least one that gives you the best of both worlds, but I haven't bothered finding it yet.

Part of the issue with trying to add a pastebin of download links is that given the nature of uploads, the links included are rather transient and if (when?) some asspained worker at a company holding the rights, or some lawyer gets wind if copyrighted games having been uploaded to Mega or whatever, they'll get it taken down, requiring a reupload, updating the link, and putting an updated pastebin link on the image (unless pastebins keep the same link to them even when updated, I'm not real sure how it works).

I just remember some years back seeing the mass grave that was /rs/ back on halfchan, where probably 90% of the links there no longer worked due to content being taken down.

I'd really need to know what the Wii has as far as those go before I can figure out adding a section to that. I mean, I know there's some mods for various games (the way SSBB had Project M), but I'm not sure there's any full on high quality homebrew games the way the Dreamcast has seen even in the years since being discontinued (or at least ones I've heard people mention much). If there's some noteworthy ones, feel free to mention them.

I'll look into adding those games though. Still need to figure out what to do with JP Gamecube games though, since I'm pretty sure they have a different Height:Width ratio than standard GC boxes.

For homebrew I'd get into contact with someone at wiibrew.org to get suggestions or check out their homebrew showcase videos on youtube. Lots of decent software to turn it into a capable media box, emulators and ports.

No idea whats up on your end

Well, there's a pretty good Mario Kart homebrew game. There's several Super Mario hacks as well, one of them being Super Mario 3 but using the Wii assets. There's many Brawl mods not just PM. They're not so much about balance, morel like adding a gorrilion characters and stages.

Oddly enough, since I've posted that one only one or so link has been taken down.

no you jumbo dumbo, get a composite cable for 1080i (or 720p) output. not all games support it but homebrew, the wii menu itself and most nintendo made vidya and channels should

That's odd, if memory serves the old link I'd had to a folder of Wii VC wad some user had made wound up with the entire upload taken down. Not sure why yours hasn't been hit as bad; maybe because Nintendo doesn't make money on games that only have used copies these days (compared to VC being constantly available)?

Yeah, sorry, I meant more that I'm not certain on Homebrew games. I know there's plenty of Homebrew applications for other stuff on there that are useful. I just don't see Homebrew specific games get brought up a whole lot.

time flies

it's 2016

some anons ARE those kids

discarded.

if anything you should be grateful it's jaggier since that means it's not blurring the picture

This one? mega.co.nz/#F!WRcEybiS!XkS89zjkXlgscw9AJjXwrQ
Its still up though

Its too much of a hassle and chances are you'll find something that will do some things right but compromise other aspects. Just use the component cables. I'm pretty sure the Wii2HDMI is an adapter and not a converter, it simply allows the Wii to connect to an HDMI port, doesn't really upscale nor change from analogue to digital

The DS wifi died at the same time. I'm still grateful to whoever it was that traded me a Chikorita egg and a Cyndaquil egg for a fresh run of Pokemon HG mere hours before the server got taken down.

If memory serves, the DS and Wii wifi got kicked off of their hosting to make room for mobile game server space.

No, I think it was an older link (probably from when some user compiled and dumped them the first time). I'm glad to see some user reuploaded them or something though.

i'm with you in that upscalers in general are plebshit. just resize the picture with a perfect fit and nearest neighbor interpolation and leave black bars if it doesn't perfectly fit the screen but i'm bullying that user for being a wrong nerd

wiibrew.org/wiki/QuakeGX
Someone ported Quake 1 over to the Wii with homebrew, and they fucking nailed motion controls for a shooter. Seriously, I've never felt such a kinetic experience before this. I cannot overstate how fucking good this game feels. You're going to need and old Wii controller though, lots of older homebrew software don't work with newer Wii controllers.

Maybe there's more to it, but I can definitely tell that the colors on the component cables are superior to everything else there.

Neat, I'll definitely try to make a mention of that then.

You mean the original Wiimote and Nunchuck, as opposed to the Motion-Plus or something?

Yeah, that's it. If it doesn't have WMP built-in, it should be good. IIRC though, they started changing up the internals just before they incorporated WMP into the Wiimote, so if you have one without WMP built in, but it was made around the time they started doing that, they still might not work.

wiibrew.org/wiki/Smashing!
wiibrew.org/wiki/Super_Mario_War_Wii_(Unoffical_Wiigii_Version)
wiibrew.org/wiki/Abe's_Amazing_Adventure_Wii
wiibrew.org/wiki/Syobon_Action_Wii

Also, here are some more good HB games.

Are there any up-to-date guides for modding your Wii out there? Everything I can find right now is based on like, 2008, maybe 2011 the latest. I don't want to install conflicting or outdated software, and I don't know where to start.

Thanks, I'll look into those as well.

Are you talking about modding for the first time or updating? Because I think with the former the easiest way to do so these days is through Letterbomb, since it doesn't require you to buy a particular game to get to work.

retroarch has an actively updated prboom port by the way. every wii should have retroarch

wiibrew, the wii scene is pretty much dead.
wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel

Updating. I didn't even know about nintendont until this thread. I really just want to start over from scratch.

I mean past the HB channel. What other stuff should I get?

Update your HBC if you havent done so already. Install cIOSes to use usb loaders. Download every emulator under the sun. Download Nintendont. Thats pretty much the basic thing to do. Everything else is secondary.

Also full list of HBC games, I should probably check them put some time soon.
wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_homebrew_games

That's generally where I fell off the last time I tried to install Wii homebrew. There are an overwhelming amount amount of IOSs, cIOSs, and other shit that I can't get my head around. Which ones are necessary?

The only ones you need are cIOS 249 and cIOS 250. Here's a guide: sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/installation
It's preferable that you have an online connection, but doing it without an online connection is possible (do the offline NUS section). Remember, unless the box is coloured green at the end of the instalation, the instalation failed.

Also, why did you install HBC and never install any USB loaders?

How up-to-date even is that site? I see it all the time, but I've never seen it updated. Are there any documented changes to the site so that I can see that it's relevant today?

i want to play a bunch of garbage exclusive bad ports dont count gamecube games, how come these charts only do only average and good g ames?

That I know of its pretty up to date since pretty much everything that can be done with a Wii has already been done. There are some minor inconsistencies such as them linking to the previous edition of an emulator except the most recent one, but the basics are all there.

Because why would you want to torture yourself? Its not like a movie where it can be bad good, if a game is bad chances are is that its boring/unplayable.