Dreamcast

Its been a while since we've had a thread for this bad boy. Why should I get a dreamcast?

Dreamcasts run at about $40 on jewbay but you can surely get it cheaper somewhere else. I know $40 for an old console is kind of wank but you wont have to spend money on games. Get your hands on a Dreamcast that has a 1 on the back. See pic (beside NTSC). Note Dreamcasts with a 2 can still play burned games but there is a slight chance that they might not, don't risk it unless absolutely necessary.

Get your hands on the following:
> theisozone.com/downloads/pc/other/update-v13-imgburn-2570-w-dreamcast-drivers/
> CDI's here: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14fCQ3NXIlW1ZC_gjIejpQVPG34fLWmSoXYgSTyxdRWM/edit#gid=0

Much like the OG Xbox, the Dreamcast is an underrated console that due to SEGA's baffling decisions lived a short-life. Still, the dreamcast is the king of the arcade so if you want shmups, beatemups, arcade-ports and multi-player fun then you'll feel right at home. In fact, the Dreamcast is still seeing releases to this day with very interesting and fun games like Volgarr the Viking, Gunlord and Pier Solar.

True. But a necessary evil for the console. But there are some uses to them, check out this website bswirl.kitsunet.org/ to find out how to import game saves and how to modify your VMU's to increase their blocks! Do note the website looks like it was made in the 90s. You can also burn VMU saves to a disc from here: bucanero.com.ar/2005/08/12/vmu-backup-cd-v130/

Unlike Dolphin or PPSSPP, Dreamcast emulators are really spotty with missing textures, terrible sound, the whole jazz. Emulation on ARM devices using Reicast apparently is really good, yet, there is no stable PC version so you'll have to wait some time for proper DC emulation. In the meantime, get yourself a cheap DC and start playing! No need to hack/modify, just burn n play. It is still a viable option if you're strapped for cash and only want to try a few titles, note you wildl encounter issues for some games. Sometimes is small things like soundeffects not working on Grandia II or may be bigger problems like flickering textures on Evolution. Notable emulators are Nulldc and Demul

Like everything on earth, dreamcasts die. More specifically, the laser tends to be the first thing to fail (hence why you should use good quality CD-Rs). There is a way to fix the laser yet its a tad complicated and its a short-term solution at best. For those that are tech savvy, have a dead DC, or simply want a project, Dreamshell and GDEMU are for you. The former is software that allows users to play CDI's and GDI's from the serial port using a special USB SD Card reader. Note compatibility is very spotty. The latter has much better compatibility (pretty close to 100%) but requires one to modify their dreamcast. Its a more costly alternative as well costing over 100 euros.

Thread theme of the day: GROOVY
jetsetradio.live/

So what have you been playing Holla Forums?I've recently got a new tube-tv so I've been playing some House of the Dead 2, Death Crimson OX and Confidential Mission. The latter two are okay but hey, even bad lightgun shooters are fun.

Also in case this wasn't mentioned, CDI's do damage your laser. The best way to diminish the damage is to get the most recent and best rips that use the MIL-CD exploit or alternatively buy your GDI games. Or straight up toss out the laser for a GDEMU. You can also find all the chart games here: pastebin.com/6fE7nRBb

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=DREAMPI&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
3do-renovation.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bumping with a little project of mine. I've even made some of my own since some DC covers are either shit or don't exist in DVD format.

Chu Chu Rocket is back online as well. I need a broadband adapter.

You say this as if it's a bad thing. All information is properly displayed and the design scales up and down well. Haven't seen my cursor change on a website in years either.

And a reminder that the DC was the first console to use the internet properly. No monthly charges or accounts. DLC can still be downloaded today on fansites and servers for several games are still up, it was always free and designed to be shared with VMUs. Game saves can be uploaded and downloaded or traded without any restrictions. It had a web browser that still works and could use standard PS/2 mouse and keyboards with an adaptor. PC and DC quake3 players could join the same servers and play together.

Compare that to the original xbox online service where they kicked off players as they shut it down. Plugging one into the internet today is pointless asides for LAN gaming on a virtual network. Same with the GC or PS2.

Current version of Demul is really good, it finally has a fix for AMD texture glitches. You just have to remember to turn on vsync to get the frame rate to be properly smooth.

Shouldn't KoF 99 Evolution be on the dc chart? It's a port of KoF 99 with new strikers, such as Seth and Vanessa, who weren't playable characters at the time. It also lets you play as Krizalid.

I miss it so much.

its in the pastebin.

It got updated?

The DC was ahead of its time.

Or a Dreampi. I'm actually thinking it might be the easier alternative since broadband adaptors aren't exactly in abundance.

Didn't make the chart. I'm sure chart-user will pop up soon enough

Keep hearing about it but not familiar. More reliable?

Well you can still buy one user. Before they start going rare/expensive.

Here you go mate: google.com/search?q=DREAMPI&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
By more reliable I mean more accesible alternative. The parts are easier to get than the broadband adapter

Its a blast to the past alright. The only thing its missing is autoplaying songs.

Ah yes… the last good videogame console. I really should buy another one sometime.

Don't forget the other two options Dreamshell allows: Loading Games Through Ethernet

And hardmodding the Dreamcast to read a HDD

I've been playing Metropolis Street Racer and it's a very underrated racing game. The realtime day and night settings, locations, and radio features make it comfy as fuck to race.

Shit I might actually check it out. Recently got my hands on a Madcatz Wheel its surprisingly good and I want to get every good racer on the system.

I mean thats fancy and all but what matters to me when it comes to those mods is compatibility. Everything else should be secondary, sadly Dreamshell is still not at a point where it could completely replace the disc-drive. I recently found out theres a dude that does USB loading for the DC
3do-renovation.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm
And it doesn't have the 32GB limit the GDEMU has. Too bad the dude's a fucking lazy hack and takes soo fucking long to make his shit.

Its certainly one of my favourites, I wouldn't call it the last good console though.

There's also a Sega Saturn spine template, if anyone here has a saturn.

Frame Gride looks great. Is it basically just Armored Core for the Dreamcast or are there some things that make it more unique?

Forgot to post em

I actually got it after someone on these threads recommended it. I had no idea fromsoft had made a mech game

bumping with weird SEGA shit. SEGA was so based in the late 80s and 90s. Its the definition of a company that straight up gave no fucks and tried to implement crazy shit without regard to the consequences. Now they're a bunch of senile fucks, is that a metaphor or something? Rock too hard and you get burned out or some shit?

Its called being a company founded by Jews in Hawaii who sold themselves to some massive media conglomerate in the 70s.

The brightest stars burn half as long

user every company is practically run by jews. That doesn't mean they can't make original and cool stuff.

I guess so

I know SEGA didn't do the Treamcast but its still an interesting piece of hardware. They got lucky SEGA was practically dead by then

So has anyone played any of the new online games yet? Kinda want to try but all of the methods of connecting seem a bit too… obtuse, like building a SJWberry pi with it's own battery pack/AC or actually trying to get Dial up in [current year]

Well that seems to be the only way user, I personally haven't tried it yet because as you mentioned its not particularly practical

Bump

Is Crazy Taxi 2 worth playing if I already have the first game?

Sure, it adds a jump function which is quite neat. Both are quite fun.

yo i ain't even kno it came out on da dreamcast shit look fresh monica

I'm considering using the DreamPi connection method to get back into PSO and I was actually wondering if any anons know if I could use the method with a Banana Pi instead or is the dreamPi software only compatible with Raspberry?

wuz evolution 2 pretty gud?

also dat gundam shitz went ham af

It looks like it's RPi specific since you need to download a prebuilt image for the SD card. You can probably finagle it if you know how to setup Linux to use the USB dial-up modem on your own, but if you want the specific Dreampi setup, you need a RPi.

Cannon Spike is ridiculously fun. All it needs to be the perfect top down shooter is a remake with twinstick shooter controls.

Holy shit user, how did no one think of that.

I dont want to givee any money to SJWPi tho…

Man, everyone who played it thought of it at least once. Just need a way to fix melee too. Honestly, if it played a little more like The Red Star, that'd be fantastic.

And like I said, you can probably use his guide and setup your own environment if you have a BananaPi or similar, but the easy-peasy, done for you way is to use the main Pi.

Bomp

Are there any emulators that allow me to use the Mouse and Keyboard while playing Outtrigger?

Does anyone have any other charts like this?

Doesn't Demul have keyboard support?

Sure, Ill post em once I get home. whats with the influx of anons asking for these charts? Theyve been in circulation for a while

You forgot Bloodborne.

thanks for the charts.

fukin saved

you're welcome mate

How do I git gud at Space Channel 5?

Could one browse 8ch on the internet or is it too advanced like Youtube is?

*browse 8ch on the Dreamcast internet browser

8ch probably I've seen it work on text based browsers like Links, this site is designed on FLOSS principles and should work on anything with a few non essential features missing. Javascript wouldn't work and probably the captcha wouldn't either. But you'd be able to post by validating your IP range on another computer.

On youtube no. It struggles to play low resolution MPEG files found on VCDs. There are several videos on youtube that show it trying to browse modern websites.

It hurts