Dead Games - JUST Failures Edition

Let's talk about games that might have promised something, but became huge failures. Usually is the games fault, but not always.
These games might be the joke of the moment, or worse, being completely forgotten fast.
Some examples are pic related. And, what I think could be the case for each one:

Boring and repetitive fights, weak story and protagonist. But it had a great OST.
Had a controversy about companies not one wanting a game with a female protagonist, but I think the problem was their protagonist.

Clearly made for cellphones, but stuck on the Vita, probably as a way to get some money from Sony. A simple game that have questionable art, short, limited.

Gearbox and 2K. Weird designs and a weak mix of ASSFAGGOTS with FPS. And always online. At least you can see your character body. Might finally be the end of Gearbox.

Less characters and modes than any other fighter in the market. Censorship became constant, and weak gameplay was the cherry on the top of the turd cake.

Con-Man is born! It was such a disaster that even Kickstarter might, finally, suffer from it. Problems long before the game was even ready made more famous for the controversies than anything related to the product.

This list could go on, with Nu-Male Sky,, MGS V, RE 6, Sunset Overdrive, and more.
And I'm doing this so the list go on, so, any experiences with the biggest blunders?

Could have been WW2 Crysis (hell it's in the same engine) but it has some of the most boring gameplay I've ever experienced. Shitty gunplay, stupid AI and it's that special type of bad FPS where it's both too easy and yet still full of random bullshit deaths. It certainly looks pretty and getting to play in Norway and with the Polish Resistance is rare but good god was it terrible.

Thief 4
Take an IP nobody except veteran, niche gamers care about, simplify it so they're not interested, and in the process remove any originality making it look like a Dishonored knockoff.

No shit nobody would be interested, the vets would be playing Dark Mod and the casuals would be playing Dishonored, you don't have an audience.

Lords of the Fallen managed to knock itself off the radar almost immediatley after release despite it hyping itself up

i gave the game a try, good ideas squandered by inexperienced devs and bad design decisions, also buggy

Pic related. Homefront 2 was a sequel to a game a lot of people hated, but even then it had it's own flaws like Crytek hemorrhaging money and not even paying employees for months or weeks from what I hear. At least one good thing came from it, and that was Timesplitters 2 was in the game and hopefully it shows people would want that now.

Another example of names not being enough. The game just could not get me going. I was not really attracted by anything, the gameplay was not really spooky, I was just getting annoyed by the fact that I would need to keep playing in the same spot if I died for some reason.
And it had a season pass.

I didn't think that wasn't that bad, I thought the visuals were beautiful and it was one of the few stories that made me interested in seeing it to the end. But it played like a worse more annoying of Resident Evil 4 which dragged it down so much. And whats worse it that it couldn't decide whether it wanted to be RE4/5 or a true return to traditional survival horror. I can understand people being disappointed as shit if they spent full price for it.

that game did a few things i found pretty interesting and clever, but it ultimately failed to be memorable and dragged on too long to make me want to play it again

hearing debussy as you get closer to a safe zone was fucking brilliant, and i liked how the ammo types for the crossbow worked granted i think it was the flash one that was just broken

good ideas squandered

someone post WET

I always wondered why I never heard about that game after launch. I wonder if more people are playing Destiny at this point.

If the xboners I know are any indication, yes there are

oh i dead ass completely forgot about this game, and it was hyped to high heaven too.

it probably made a profit though, shame since no shooter game where guns are just a DPS method and not anything fun deserve to die

Somehow they never managed to get a sizeable playerbase.

How was MGSV a failure ? People still talk about it even if its negative things but still, it sold well and got great scores across the board.

I'd say Monday Night Combat just by the virtue that its fucking dead. And it was basically your Moba shooter before everyone else did it.

I watched highlights of the stream where the devs outright acknowledged all of the issues with the game and said that it needed to be fixed. I'd like to give them credit for being so honest but they didn't seem to have any real ideas for solutions.

A lot of people who bought The Division did so because Destiny was going through a content drought. Playing the Division just made them appreciate Destiny more, and a few weeks later when Destiny got an update they all went back to Destiny and didn't give Division a second thought.

They're basically just reading the reddit at this point, trying to figure out how to fix this shit.

Now that's incredible. I also wonder if they learned about the massive visual downgrades.

You mean Ubisoft?

Normally I'd say that they should stay far away from reddit if they need ideas but anything would be better than what they (Massive) come up with on their own.

Is it really? It somehow managed to be even worse than SF4, but I don't believe that it's really dead.

The game never looked that good to begin with. Enough of this meme.

To be fair the reddit is pretty much the last, autistic core of the playerbase remaining. Their ideas aren't half bad, such as removing grind and making gear for higher level content drop on lower level runs. As it is you have to be able to run endgame content to get the gear for endgame content. Literally ass backwards.

I kind of remember this game. The main character was voiced by Eliza Dushku. That's all I remember about it though.

Kingdoms of Amular: Reckoning was an offline mmo of sorts. Failed for various reasons, especially for the guy behind using state funding to make it.

I stopped playing before the Incursion came out so I was shocked when I watched the dev stream and they said "playing hard mode should give you the gear you need for challenge mode." I can't believe they didn't make it that way to begin with, how do you fuck that up?

the problem I have with games like Wet and a lot of early PS3/360 era shooters are that they're console exclusive and have no fucking aim assist, but build the game up as if you need a KB+M for accuracy. Had these games come out for PC, I'm sure there'd be a bit more discussion of it past that, because it is pretty fun if you can get past the aiming, although pretty repetitive at times.

I think we have a clue, Scoob.

Na both Destiny and Division have healthy playerbases on consoles.

Pseudo MMOs just don't work on PC, there's far to much better shit on the market competing with it whereas consoles don't have those experiences so people tend to stick with whatever comes along regardless of quality.

I know Destiny does because I play it but I thought there was a pretty big exodus from The Division. My perspective is skewed as a Destiny player, I guess.

Yea the dark zone always has people, anything that has matchmaking always brings people up and in the one hub you can actually see people in, there's usually plenty of idiots standing around.

I think its the whole grinding, it tickles an autism bone which console only players probably don't deal with much.

I've played grinding games on PC but a lot of them feel like they play themselves to a certain degree. By comparison Destiny is a game where you can't really zone out very often, you have to be actively engaged all the time. The Division doesn't have that same appeal because farming in that game means camping behind cover to fight respawning bosses.

I think it's a real shame about The Division, they could have made engagements really interesting with all of the crowd control and support abilities (neither really exists in Destiny) but they opted to make all endgame enemies bullet sponges who one-shot you.

Pirated Remember Me when it first came out. Enjoyed it enough to buy it a year or so later on a steam sale for five bucks. still haven't even bothered installing it

But yeah basically the only thing it really had going for it was it's music and some of the world designs. You don't get to see really good depictions of a futuristic Europe very often. If you like cyberpunk stuff you'd probably get a kick out of it. The whole things a perfect example of a C+ or B- game.

I'm still on it, but taking frequent breaks.
holy shit though I'd never thought I'd like fable 3 upgrade style
and that fucking lighthouse.

SimCity
Dragon Age 2
Spore

Does DA:I count?

Bosses don't respawn anymore.

Art direction is superlative and worth playing for the memory segments alone, even if there were too few. For those who don't know, you have to infiltrate a man's memory and change elements (a la Ghost Trick) so that events will play out differently, in his mind. That turns him into a different personality, which is kind of creepy.

Combat isn't "repetitive": all combat in all games is, what changes is your conditioning to accept it. Realize you've killed millions of people in FPS that play all the same, but still feel gratified. In Remember Me, combat is 90% melee but plays like a weird amalgamation of real time and turn based combos with a puzzle element. By the end of the game, it becomes quite hard and complex.

I enjoyed the game for the setting alone (dystopian Paris), you sperg can't get over its flaws because it doesn't feel yourself cash just like when you eat shit from the hands of Bethesda. Last thing we need around here is Reddit top 10's with wrong info.

That's good. How does "Four Horseman farming" work, then? Do you kill the bosses and then wipe to kill them again?

Pretty much. The idea is that the four midbosses drop more loot than the final boss.

I have never, and I mean never, seen a game based off an AAA IP die this fast. Brink lasted longer, Battleborn lasted longer, Evolve lasted longer, fucking Operation Raccoon City lasted longer.

It's one of the deadest games on Steam.

i thought that Umbrella Corpse was a sabotage attempt.

Like Ok, we make this abortion and that way we can go back to our roots without anyone complaining about how they want "More action zombie games"

Now this one is dead even on consoles.

I wish but we both know that it was just modern Capcom being retarded.

I hope they won't fuck REmake 2 up

My only hope is that Nanomachine Corps will die even quickier

Yeah, I exaggerated on MGS V. The game is repetitive and I'm tired of the retcons Kojima keep making to the series, but it isn't a dead game.
It just killed the series.

Now, this might be a bit of a stretch in the definition, but let's remember Dawngate.
It was an ASSFAGGOTS, by EA. But, remember that pic when EA shoots developers in the head? That was pretty much the case here.
The game had some, little twists that were new to the genre, like your function in the map, something you decided and changed some stuff in your character. And also had a lore that carried changes into the game. The lore was told in a CYOA way by the developers and was a pool to decided what would happen next.
But, since it wasn't exploding with players, well it just had to compete with LoL and DOTA 2, no big deal, EA shut down the game and suicided the developer.

There was a lot of salt over people just getting Homefront for Timesplitters 2

You're joking, right? TS2 is a great game, not like Homefront.

Meant some people bitched and I think devs included that people were more excited and enjoyed the Timesplitters 2 easter egg than Homefront.

Its still pretty stupid. TS2 is a good arcadey shooter with loads of replay value. The new Homefront on the otherhand seems to be yet another modern military shooter that wants to copy Far Cry

Why did this fail? I love it a lot!

Considering it's another example of Capcom making RE games that are as far from what I like about RE as possible, it couldn't fail hard enough in my opinion.

It's also yet another example of modern Capcom doing an amazing job of making the exact opposite of what I would have wanted. It's like they can both read my mind and actively want to spite me.

WET was pretty damned fun. I'd buy a PC port.

I remember reading some shit about a Neo-Paris using memories as currency or something before Remember Me came out.

Agree with both. The whole Neo-Paris aestheric, AR being a widespread thing and the setting were nice details and it shows that they put a lot of love into those elements. I had no particular issues with the combat, I just wish the whole thing was less linear, especially when they made frequent mention of the platforming segments. Maybe adding more complex puzzles and more than one alternative for the memory remixing, which in turn could have allowed alternate endings and have more replay value.
I just don't think it was that bad of a product for the hate it got, which ruined its chances to redeem itself and fix most grievances with a sequel.

If you are still unwilling to play the game, at the very least do youself a favor and check out the concept art book. Pic related.

To be fair Titanfall was more of a tech demo or proof of concept than anything else. I hope the second game is as fun

Remember the World of Warcraft-killa?!

Remember Me had two big problems for me. Firstly, the games media banged on about the female protagonist shit like it meant I HAD to buy it.
No, fuck off.

Secondly, Holla Forums didn't talk about anything but the above. Normally if there's a good game in something Holla Forums will mention it. Holla Forums didn't even say it was bad, which meant bland. So a bland game with female protagonist that is supposedly the reason I'm buying the game, for Equality? No, I don't have the money for that, I want a good game.

it's one of the highest earning MMOs out there

I logged on to 1 of like 6 servers there's still left in EU and there were 20 people at the Imperial Fleet. How can they make money?

You know, this is pretty much the only case where I partially justify the touting of a female protag as a sale point, and that's because of the time when the game idea was shitcanned under the excuse of the average male gamer not liking to play as a female, which everyone knows it's a bullshit argument, but whatever.
Of course, assuming this story actually happened. And even if it wasn't, there's no way the identity politics faggots would use Nilin as a role model because she was attractive and used tight clothes.

I feel bad about Umbrella Corps and even Operation Raccoon City, both of them could have been good if they'ld just make a damn co-op Survival/Normal RE game. Just a game where you do regular RE4 fights with constatly respawning enemies and shit.

Also killed the return of tactical FPS genre.

I see this meme posted everywhere but not one citation.

Since it's f2p I would guess they have a shitton of huefags, cheeki breekis, commies and poo in the loos who pay the bills.

The problem was the controls and camera were annoying as shit. This made the fighting not fun at all.

Also, the combo system which was supposed to be the cornerstone of the combat was so underdeveloped that it added nothing.

Whales will easily spend thousands on f2p games, it's how so many of those games survive. I used to play black desert (a fucking b2p in the west) which had an infamously shitty dye system that pretty much required you spent ridiculous amounts of money for rng to give you the dyes you want. They said they wanted to change it when people complained, but wanna know why they ended up not doing so? Because it turns out people did in fact spend thousands on dyes alone. I even recall an example of a retard on the game forums claiming he "beat" the dye system by spending $700 on it to get what he wanted.

I don't understand how autismbux can get you so much god damn money to frivolously spend like that.

I was just reminded of this game after looking at some EA chart. Otherwise, I'd probably not even remember it.

Operation Raccoon City suffered from an atrocious first level and uninteresting starting classes, but really blossomed later. I would prefer it over Evolve, if I were to play it in some coop extravaganza with fellow autists.

But that first level was something else, I can safely say the final escape scene must have pruned 99% of the players. You had to run away from an invicible Birkin, toward the fixed camera that was pointed at him (so you couldn't see where you went); since it was an escape sequence, none of your attacks did anything like some sort of undocumented QTE.

It got better eventually, and in particular the 2nd campaign with the good guys was very fun. Later on the classes would also expand to do cool shit, like being able to mind control zombies - i.e. the medic can do the boomer's vomit effect vs enemies.

Say what you want about not being the right direction for the series, but it was still better than the average hipster 4P survival coop.

This game, it wasn't even that bad but it needed a bunch of things like keeping the general atmosphere of RTCW and not having regenerating health, also not making half of your arsenal overpowered but also boring and practical while making the actually neat things kinda meh and unlock them way too late in the game.

Thank you based user.. Checked that mod around 6 years ago and it kept crashing.. Good to know it's now standalone as well.