Crowd mechanics

Why don't more games do this?
And why hasn't there been a fighting game with the super meter as the audience hype?

Other urls found in this thread:

depositfiles.org/files/xd5sw5wlk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why do all the shit ideas get copied but the actually cool ones stay unused?

because Hunger Games is retarded

What?

Paper Mario: TTYD does this. Or was that the game you were talking about?

The Arenas in the Fable series did this.

Castle Crashers did this for the first real boss, crowd would go nuts anytime anyone got flattened

I wish they added more actual content to Castle Crashers rather than stupid weapons and characters. Behemoth's games are good they're just too damn short.

Battle Royale is better.

I remember a bunch of wrestling games on the N64 would do this sort of thing.

Thing is, do you want it to just be all for ambiance or do you want it to have an actual effect on what is happening?
Actually, this gives me an idea for a gladiator game…where working the crowd can give bonuses.
Hmm…

This fucking game. I'd put it on the same tier as God Hand if it weren't for the sneaking portions of the game, those are boring as fuck

They would react and if you got close they would start hitting you. Kind of cool.

Bowser's Inside Story did something like that with the Midbus fight in Bowser's Castle. The audience would cheer and throw healing food and coins whenever Bowser or Midbus landed successful attacks.

That was the first thing you thought about when OP mentioned the audience interacting with your character?
back in my day, 16 year old kids got banned when they posted obviously underage bullshit.

What's even better than that though is when you go all Ancient Japanese Theater with it.

QUICK HISTORY LESSON: THE ORIGIN OF NINJAS AS BLACK-PAJAMA WEARING ASSASSINS

In the old days of Japanese theater, stage hands would wear full-body black covering. This was a visual shorthand for "this person doesn't really exist, and is just here to set up props and shit, and is not actually part of the story". So some playwright got the genius idea of having one of these guys suddenly take an active role in the story, and the most dramatic method of doing so was to have one of them suddenly kill a "real" character. Thus the idea of assassins in black garb was born.

So, apply this to game design. Paper Mario TTYD toyed with this occasionally, with things like the dragon eating the audience for a health boost or the entire style mechanic, but they could have taken it further. Here's some examples:

Could've used more enemy variety and less bulshit sections.

Ratchet and Clank had some of the best arenas in any video game.
Prove me wrong.

That's the first example I was thinking of,

This dream idea I'm having though is something like Yakuza and DMC in terms of gameplay, basically the emphasis on stylish combos of DMC with the ability to actually spend it on something like Yakuza's Heat.
Obviously the thing that would make it unique would be basically status effects with a different name. You could do stuff like make the opponent nervous by taunting when the crowd is against him, and vice versa if he instead manages to turn it around then all of your appeal would then go to him. Essentially keeping the entire match in a constant tug of war.

I'm keeping it really simplistic because I swear there's a game that does this already.

It is a real hentai game called Satan Circus.

Download link?

depositfiles.org/files/xd5sw5wlk
password is
zeoarchives

Good fucking luck.

Seconding this. Shadow of Rome is top tier when it comes to audience interactions. There's a dedicated button for it that gets them to toss small healing items or, when you do a lot of impressive stuff, massive halberds and the like. It's very well done.

Bampu