Minetest: We Wizard Now

Minetest thread

Minetest is a minecraft clone written in C++, with a mod API that runs lua-based mods. You also download mods automatically.

minetest.net/

Server Address:
catgirls.animebitch.es
Port:

Rules:

We've got people making their own mods for this game as we speak, I'm working on some mob models, Shamoanjac's making a more advanced faction system, and Nosrick is making a Master of Magic mod.

Someone even made a coca~cola machine.

GET IN HERE

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/id/nosrick/
gist.github.com/anonymous/90bf77bee13b6b4debdc11ce13460346
github.com/Nosrick/MoMTest
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2787&start=225
github.com/minetest-technic/technic/blob/master/manual.md
minetest.net/customize/
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?t=2538
technic.kosyak.info/
minecraft.gamepedia.com/Minecraft_1.0
gist.github.com/anonymous/07fea26f117ec3d8eb0812a2b50db598
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?pid=122279
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9522
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Made a grue model out of nowhere, I might rig and animate him, and find some way to add it as a mob.

Getting him to run away from light/get damaged by light will be a bit hard, though.

ugly curves

I see you were inspired by mobs redo mob models

Should I re-do it?

rip thread

Threadly reminder that there is absolutely no point in building anything in this game with the rules that the admin has set up.

so why should we ever build anything? in a game where building anything is a tedious task, and destroying everything is a simple one, why should we dedicate so much autism to building up a base that will be gone when we log back in? do you feel it yet? the feeling of being totally burned out to a crisp and sick of doing such a meaningless and miserable chore that isn't even fun and brings you absolutely no enjoyement?

seriously, just save yourself the tedium and find a more entertaining server or a different game to play entirely. no, not minecraft. fuck that shit.

I would have more fun if this server was dedicated to recreating a mod inspired by Ace of Spades, because that would be instant action and straight to the fun, without building aimlessly for it to all be destroyed. I would be more motivated to build a bunker for the purposes of attacking or defending in an AOS mod, but I'm not motivated in the least to build an elaborate base with farms and locked chests full of precious mineral ores I must guard that is destroyed anyways, fucking constantly; all while struggling to control my hunger bar so that I dont starve. I don't care about griefing or whether or not it's against the rules, this isn't about that.

nosrick your inventory hack for the match 3 game is dumbe please use buttons

And here comes the guy trying to ruin the thread by copy/pasting an argument from before the factions mod was fixed.

why copypaste this? I can assure you no one cares what you would find more fun

That's why you hide your stuff, you stupid motherfucker.

server down

I just finished building a helicopter too. Had Fortunate Son up and everything.

I think it has charm, looks kinda like a cute animal but inherently scary. Imagine randomly encountering one of these in game in a cave or something.

pls dont remind me

Server keeps crashing. What gives?

Long story short, I kicked the shit out of my ssd, and the only thing I have on my other drive is W2K. So I'm on windows 2000 now. Great. I'll grab the latest version of minetest and head on now, if the server is up.

meme magic

Whats causing the space before the message? I didn't send it and yet it comes up with my name.

looks like zxvb forged the message by putting a lot of spaces

Looks neat, though I imagined the grue would be bigger and have huge orange eyes like the one in Earthworm Jim. Would be a real pleasant surprise running into one in a pitch black cave I imagine. I made a quick little mob model myself too. It's a Grabbler, an unpleasant little fellow who steals items from your inventory if you turn your back to it, then books it at Kenyan speed. They are attracted to Gold/silver/Minecoins and will avoid any oven block they see like the plague. Killing them will yield up to 3 lumps of gold, silver, or Minecoins, and any inventory items it pinched off of you. They will reproduce if two of them are close by, or they can reproduce manually by giving it gold lumps (should you elect to do so for whatever reason).

He aint textured/rigged yet, but if you like, I can upload the .obj to a Vola so you can take a crack at it since you seem to be experienced with this.

Careful Xenos, I think it's after your job!

Looks like a langolier, m8

Hows everyone's mods coming along?

This isn't suku thread but Motion wanted to soku, here is my connections info 70.95.189.6:10800

fantasy heaven only activates if I get 7 hits on yopu

ggs

ggs, I got bullied hard

This is going to be one of those can't be fixed things isn't it.

If you need help coding it, just give nosrick a shout.

You can find me on Steam, Skype, Discord or the Minetest IRC.

This one, right?

steamcommunity.com/id/nosrick/

I assume you're Anonyma.

Yep!

I hope you faggots realize Minecraft Pocket Edition is programmed in C++ and Mojang is planning on merging the Pocket Edition Engine into the PC version once its out of beta

Once that happens Minetest will have lost its novelty

Does Pocket Edition have a modding API?

I'm not sure if it does right now, but I imagine it will by the time its used for the PC version.

I also believe there is already some lua scripting mods for the shitty Java version of Minecraft so those could get ported over unless Mojang makes the new engine an API compatible with the old one

The main draw for Minetest (at least for me) is the official modding API. It doesn't change every version, unlike Forge and is both simple and quite complete.

Minetest being written in C++ isn't quite the achievement, to be honest. Modern Java Minecraft doesn't have many performance problems so this point is relatively moot, other than being slower on launch. The main selling point is being easy as fuck to mod and write mods for.

By the way, a transition to C++ would kill Forge, since it would require some significant time to reverse-engineer the engine (implying they even get assed to do it), not to mention it could kill the modding community unless they manage to substantially modify the engine to run alongside a JVM or implement some sort of IPC modding API that could allow mods to be written in Java or the absolute madmen injected a Java interpreter into the engine (which would kill most performance gains, probably). These also apply to the official port; if you kill Java mods, you kill Minecraft mods for a while, maybe permanently. I doubt Java Minecraft is going to go any time soon, unless they abuse JNI to run the performance critical parts in C++.

no, actually this is after it was "fixed"

Minetest will still be Free Software. That's how long chat messages got fixed so quickly, admin forked Minetest and ran the server on his modified version.

why do shills feel they have to spread lies?

HOW THE FUCK DO I MAKE QUICKSAND

So is the server PvP? Do I gotta worry about getting my base torn to shit every day no matter how well I hide it?

Yes and yes

Pass. I want to build with autists not get killed by them.

Though the mods on it are decent. Which ones let me make complicated stuff with tubes and shit?

Pipeworks?

Here's something close to the modlist.
gist.github.com/anonymous/90bf77bee13b6b4debdc11ce13460346

How does this game/server/whatever hold up to modded Minecraft? I've been dicking around with modpacks with friends for years and I've gotten used to have swathes of content to burn through, especially when building automated systems.

Yea thanks I just got around to finding them. This should add some staying power to the game since vanilla is pretty limited.

I've researched every spell currently available, I can't manage to crash the server with MoM, admin.

Even tried blessing three or four times, which was the one that killed the server for twelve hours last time.

So I'm trying to install Mesacon but keep getting name conflicts. I think it's a directory issue but I've tried putting the file every place that would make sense.

the folder of the mod must not have the "-master" in the name

Turned out the download from place I got it from was bogus. I installed a new one directly from the site it into /games/ an it runs fine now even with "master" for some reason.

I don't know of any mods currently that have swathes of content to go through. MT's mod community is severely lacking in those.

would be nice if current admin would post a list of the mods used on the server.

The server has Mesecons, Technic, and Pipeworks which together replicate a lot of the Minecraft mod features as far as complex machinery is concerned. Technic in particular is extremely complex and good if you want to build up a large industrial setup.

i love that old windows blue
it reminds me of a beautiful world

Plus there's digilines, which allow you to make computer systems and networks ingame, the only problem is, there's nothing for long-range distances, so you'd better set up your computer next to someone else's.

That's true. I find Technic a little bit dry though, since there aren't too many things you can do with it other than become better and faster at processing things you could have otherwise done. Some exceptions are the force field and generating nuclear waste. Tech mods in Minecraft typically have lots of toys that you can produce at higher tech levels. I think a mod that extends Technic with toys like these would make it more solid. That's not a declaration that I'm going to write that mod though.

Mesecons and Pipeworks do allow new things, I agree.

Mostly what I had in mind were magic mods with large tech trees, that was too narrow of a focus. Maybe MoMTest will help with that.

I know Technic and Pipeworks stuff work even through unloaded chunks, is that false for mesecons and diglines?

Why fam?

Is someone here running this server or are we just squatting?

If so then someone should definitely set one up, anyone got a gigabit connection?

Someone here is running the server.

Some intl kike runs it, they post here occasionally

I bet that goat would love to play battletoads.

a Holla Forumsbro is running it, how else do you think mods made by actual Holla Forumsirgins are installed? (coca~cola machine, faction banners, Master of Magic)

Do summoned zombies despawn? I want to fill a couple houses I built with zombies for villagers.

if their like mummies than maybe

can anyone confirm if caves generate now?
spelunking and underground cave bases is the only reason I play this shit and last time I joined, caves weren't spawning

seem to be a bunch of caves my nigga

Woah, I love it actually. How would the animations look?

jut use /mods

Yep, found some better caves than I've seen in minecraft so far.

We tried out a mod that adds massive caves, with underground biomes, but it crashed the server or something.

skins when

10/10
Talking about Israelites, I'm thinking of making a stock exchange mod

What would the stocks represent? Players, factions?

I think I used the wrong words. I don't mean selling and buying actions, but rather placing sell and buy orders on some kind of global market a la Runescape.
The actors would most likely be individuals rather than factions.

DO IT

Levantine magics only SHK 4.99

Been playing Master of Magic to understand what all the fuss is about.

And holy shit, it's really fun.
It's basically Civ 1 with spells and shit.

And it was made by Microprose, the same people who made xcom.

Don't know quite yet, I primarily use 3ds max, but some good lads on the irc suggested me to pick up blender as it's pretty much the only thing that supports .b3d files, and even then, with a plugin

I'm glad you're enjoying the shit out of it. I hope to bring at least one tenth of the enjoyment I get out of Master of Magic to Minetest through my mod.

Phase Two of my mod will include cities.

Got a link up for download? Id love to mess around with it and to try it out with every mod I can to see if anything messes up.

github.com/Nosrick/MoMTest

Server is kill

why is there no music. I can't build/think/behave properly without the autism music in the background

Minetest suffers from the lack of artists.

just find some and listen to it

cant you just make your own playlist and listen to it while playing?

… did you actually listen to the Minecraft music?

i just play a musical keyboard with my feet while in game

I listen to dank vaporwave

How unfortunate

Yeah, I can just throw on a playlist, but it's jarring to enter the game world for the first time and realize that there isn't any background music. I wondered for a moment or two if my headphones were plugged in correctly until I heard footstep sounds.

I did actually listen to the Minecraft music. It's not bad. It's repetitive, but it serves its purpose well enough. Not so harsh on the ears that you'll want to rip your eardrums out after listening to it for extended periods

You must give incredible foot jobs

is server up? I wanted to give it a shot.

Yes, server is up

welp no it's not it seems

okay motherfuckers which one tried to cast blessing this time?

Minetest 0.4.14 introduced a new map generator called Valleys, which apparently generates actual rivers.

just checked. holy shit this is great

Does this game generate deep and intricate caves to explore? That's what I enjoyed most and spent most of my time doing in Minecraft - finding natural caves and fully lighting and mining them out.

Are there any enemies?

there are no enemies and mobs are bugged and die in 1 hit but we are working on it. i mean reimu is working on it

caves are alright, much better then in minecraft.

Guys I'm scared.

I love how in MoM, each the kkk are featured in every death scene.

You must scale it.

There is a global_exchange mod that basically does what you want, except it uses its own digital currency rather than minecoins. People could "convert" by trading minecoins though.

DO IT

do what

Kill yourself, my man.

IT.

+1 for install

I remember Coca-cola machines from other servers, though. Is this another one?

Master of Moonman.

MAH NIGGA

server still down?

Yeah seriously Minecraft became unplayable for me when MS took over, now it takes 5 minutes to just load the game at startup and it runs at a terrible framerate. This machine is a toaster but I used to run MC with 30+ mods and it went perfectly smoothly, loaded up in 20 seconds, etc.

Shit, really? Last time I played Minecraft was right before the 1.8 update and performance wasn't stellar, but it worked just right. Much better than 1.2 and earlier versions with mods, anyway.

Is server ded? I just tried to log on for the first time.

it is. we must wait for admin to unfuck it

ok cool. I started singleplayer to have a go and got stuck down a hole within 5 mins, can I not put blocks under me? anyway it seems good.

You can, but the time window to do so is much smaller than in Minecraft, and with slow computers it is extremely difficult.

I like how minmaxing for very specific things allows you to completely break the game. Stopping time forever by making and breaking equipment for mana, lucking out with a certain setup and book drops to get free summons, shoving nine warlocks in a tower to doom bolt anything before their turn begins until a singular paladin comes along and mops the floor with them.

Clunky interface, though, but I guess it's to be expected from an old title.

And, uh, fuck node RNG. Oh, a sorcery node has a sky drake? No, it has four. And genies. And it's the only node that you have convenient access to. Fuck you.

That's one of the things I love about Master of Magic; it throws balance out the window to maximise fun.

If you like caves, how would you like digging through layers of caves and mineshafts that go down 32+ kilometers?
For reference, a minecraft world is only 256 meters from bedrock to height limit.

What broke me was the 1.7 update, because nobody could play with a stable framerate until someone made fastcraft which unfucked whatever mojang did.
Then having to allocate so much fucking memory for mods, and having to put the game onto an SSD because chunk loading was so slow, constantly trying different jvm arguments to improve performance, saves on older versions becoming so unstable that framerate would reach 1 frame per 5 minutes seemingly with no culprit, it was fucking unbearable.

serber is back online niggers

I remember when we found a gigantic mine under the Banana Republic. It was deeper than any Minecraft world, and apparently it was a small cave compared to what you can find. I heard lower depths spawn even bigger caves.

Map of the lands around the spawn.

So, how i do magic?

nani

French wind rose, the English ones I found all had watermarks

Serber crashed again, didn't it?

when is server faggot going to fucking impliment an auto-restarter

can someone make me a furry skin

server restart when

Bad news: death screen is hardcoded, so we won't be able to choose respawn point on death in a clean manner. The good news, however, are that we can implement an on_respawn function that does the same. You will just have to click a respawn button twice.

I think minetest correctly exits on crash. It should be as easy as "while true; do minetest; done"

WAKE ME UP INSIDE

please anyone i'll lick your paws

furries should be burned alive

bui fuck off

i need a furry skin

no you don't. you need to be burned alive

not skinned alive?

no, burned.

make me a skin and i'll burn myself alive

No just die in a fire.

i just want a furry skin help a fellow furry out

go down to your local hardware store, buy a 2 gallon gas tank, then go to your local electronics store and buy a webcam. Then, go to your local gas station and fill up the gas tank, and also pick up a lighter or some matches. Then, when you get home, set up the webcam on your PC. Then, douse yourself in the gas. Then, go to youtube, or twitch, or whatever gay as fuck streaming service you use, and stream yourself for us while you light the fuel on your body. Wait five to ten minutes, and then someone will make you a furry skin.

christ, could you maybe learn some english above the middle school level

Take his advice and end your life.

only if i get a signed and certified furry skin for minetest

What a faggot. Just shut up and burn you fucking yiffaggot

'just'

I guess if you want something done, you've got to do it yourself. Please, reveal your location for myself and the rest of this thread so we can travel to your place of residence and proceed to beat the shit out of you with various pointed objects and then douse you with napalm, or some other extremely flammable substance, and then torch you along with all your furshit.

105 lickyourpaws avenue

So I just threw myself down the autismfall and now I can't find a way up. I fucked up, didn't I?

What mods are on the server now?

WHO DUN DID IT THIS TIME

How do I split a string on a luacontroller? string.split seems to be missing

string.split isn't a standard lua function. You can use string.find together with string.sub to split a string.

When are faction invites going to be fixed?

I still got
Whenever I invite people, last night

Ironically, despite being designed from the ground up to be modded, Minetest has awful support for mods. Most of the good Minecraft mods involve features which simply aren't available in the Minetest API.

Fancy graphical effects? Nope.
Mobs which don't lag? Nope.
Customized user interface elements? Nope.
Separate client and server code? Nope.

Basically it isn't even possible to recreate all of vanilla Minecraft in Minetest, let alone most popular mods. Any attempt to copy mods like Thaumcraft or Buildcraft will lead to shitty knock-offs with major features either absent, laggy, or ugly as fuck.

I wouldn't go anywhere near that pile of crap until they at least allow separate code to run on the client and server and give us low-level access to graphics on the client.

Oh, and last time I checked on their forums there was a large thread discussing how problematic and rude the WTFPL is. Shitty game - cancerous community.

Ironically, despite being designed from the ground up to be modded, Minetest has awful support for mods. Most of the good Minecraft mods involve features which simply aren't available in the Minetest API.

Fancy graphical effects? Nope.
Mobs which don't lag? Nope.
Customized user interface elements? Nope.
Separate client and server code? Nope.

Basically it isn't even possible to recreate all of vanilla Minecraft in Minetest, let alone most popular mods. Any attempt to copy mods like Thaumcraft or Buildcraft will lead to shitty knock-offs with major features either absent, laggy, or ugly as fuck.

This was fixed tho

Had you read the thread, you'd know it was a teacher proposing to use different wording because he uses Minetest with children.

okay, downloaded game. Im playing and I have a retarded house made of trees.
how the fuck do I do anything? why do torches fucking hurt you? why the fuck wont any plants grow so I can make candles.
I dug for like a full five minutes and found no caves, I read in the thread that the underground is fuckhuge compared to what I am used to but really?
the help command dosnt tell me how to make a faction, an admin told me earlier today but not only do I not remember it I managed to cock it up while he was still there because I am a retard or something.
how the fuck is magic done? what even are the mods being run and what do they change?

Caves are larger, but sparser. Use F9 for radar mode (press several times), you'll find them more easily.
/f create
/mods

If I built a gambling machine, would anyone use it?

yes

only if it's free as in freedom

It would be extremely lucrative.

How deep is that?

As of now, I have only been as deep as -300.

Does shit just get THAT wildly abundant as you go down?

that's sulfur

rounding down to -200
and that's sulfur

I have yet to find Sulfur, so I just assumed.

Huh.

sulfur is completely worthless in the server

/Wizard and make a font of magic

I haven't had any lag at all, other than chunk loading, likely due to my piss-poor dsl.

Wait, so we don't have TNT in a server where we basically tell people to go fuck themselves if they get griefed?

you make tnt with gunpowder, which you make gunpowder from gravel and coal

so there are monsters after all

Yo nigger that's an ayy back the fuck up.

So I installed the BFD mod. Is it worth it? I can't get the drill to work and the forums are no help.

FACTION INVITE FIX WHEN

admin found out why some stuff like tomatoes can't be found, some stuff from farming plus is to be obtained with console since they didn't finish it could you spawn some like you did for the rubber trees (if i remember correctly)?
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2787&start=225

how do i into mods

dev.minetest.net

Just caught FUNK speedhacking with cheat engine. Saw him do it earlier, but the nigger didn't expect me to use fraps and catch him again. HE EVEN LEFT THE GAME RIGHT AFTER I TOLD HIM. HAHAHAHA

Uploading to jewtube shortly.

He was kicked and will be banned

shit, I gotta get some sleep, I'll post it in 6ish hours

bump

serber died?

HERE

Didn't you use to go to Vinesauce you fucking faggot?

How do craft Alloy Furnace? Was there an update and the recipe is different?

Are there high def texture packs for this? I can't stand notch's excuse for "retro" style pixelshit graphics. They could have copied everything but the textures.

Since FUNK and petra are gone now anyway: Mithril chests were breakable by shotgun :^)

Hence admin never deleted petra's/FUNK's chests.

stop fucking posting

Yep, I even made two games that vinny streamed: sanic r and shadow of shrek.

minetest.net/customize/

I figured it out by moving the master file to a new directory but now compressors don't work. Fuck it I guess I'll deal with it tomorrow.

Hey shamoanjac, are you supposed to be able to still modify someone else's chunk if you only place your death banner and instantly remove it?

I feel like the original intention was that you need it at all times, so that it can be defended.

Currently I just see griefers plop one down, mine it, and continue with their business. There's really nothing at all you can do to defend your land.

You can't grind trunks nor wood to get sawdust, for some reason. However, you can grind rubber tree trunks to get rubber tree grindings. I assume it's probably some group fuckery working incorrectly, but it would be interesting to take a look at it.

Grind a drained rubber tree trunk.

Mom, FUNK is using speedhacks again.

I tried. Doesn't seem to work.

Can't exactly join up with you guys due to being on a shit computer that can't even run Minetest for the weekend, but wasn't he banned?

Kicked, actually. And IP banned as well, but not account banned so he can simply come back after an IP lease.

We need to unfuck death banners, armors and the ban system so shit like this doesn't keep happening. I want wooden buildings, goddamit.

Sounds good. I keep meaning to download Minetest and give it a spin when I have some spare time.

Got one question before I do, though.

Is there a mod for generating flaot worlds?

How viable is it to be a nomad/wandering explorer on the server? I don't really like to settle in one place and prefer to wander, exploring caves and various biomes, surviving off the land with just the things I need for a day-to-day existence with games like this.

Would that be possible on the server, assuming I got far enough away from spawn? I don't want to accidentally wind up harvesting part of someone's tree farm just so I can make the tools to survive for the night.

Half of our forests are on fire, so I doubt anybody gives a fuck if you break a few things.

Anyway, it's not exactly viable, mostly because there is not much else to do than mining and building. You CAN do it, but I am not sure if it will be fun.

pretty much only viable option.

In my defence on the forest burning thing, Jungle trees are ugly as sin.

That's good to hear. I noticed a hunger bar in some of the screenshots, so, if there's at least the challenge of having to keep myself from starving by using whatever's around, I'll be happy with that.

Texture packs, my dude.

Get a late alpha/early beta version of the Minecraft client and server and run that.

It's got plenty of fun stuff to keep you interested without the random generation vomiting up a new, colorful "cosmetic" thing every five blocks and just generally covering the entire world in dumb shit. Minecraft started to get too full of tangential stuff around Beta 1.8 or before, and started turning into this clusterfuck where you don't even have space to build anything because of all the collectible shit right the fuck on top of you.

Also, you didn't have cawadoody health and could just hold down right-click over food stacks to regain health. Having to replenish hunger goes from interesting to a disruptive annoyance in like one game day, and you're still carrying around a stack or two of food when you go caving whether it's to constantly top up your annoying autistic hunger system or the much cooler version where you fight off the spiders without the help of autismregen, find a "safe" spot, and stuff your face with 8 carrots.

Either way, you couldn't practically regain hp through eating during combat, and either way you're still hiding between battles to replenish, but the new "realistic" system just has you waiting in a corner for longer and makes fights easier for no good reason.

tl;dr - Play Minecraft back when it was just Notch who had made most of it and it wasn't crammed full of shiny shit, it's actually fun.

final note - Trust me, I know Java is shit, but minetest manages to just not be actual fun despite being C++, largely because it's so obsessed with muh decentralized FLOSS paradigm modular hurrdurr that it's just a pain to use. Yes, the whole thing where the game is a module of the engine and everything in-game is a node and you can make mods is great, but the problem is that other than a few autismblocks 512 layers deep there is basically nothing game-like about it, it's just a literal Infiniminer clone. Choosing mods just to get any basic gameplay is sort of a downer.

What's more "game-like" about early Minecraft than Minetest, anyway? The mobs?

> gf wants to play rust or some shit and I don't want to pay money for a meme experience that will last 20 minutes

couldn't help but laugh throughout the entire experience

Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this.

The hunger system also inadvertently limits your options for long-range wandering or setting up a home base in interesting and remote areas, since you've always got to make sure you're not much more than several minutes away from a reliable source of food or a fucking farm.

Mobs, crafting, circuitry, day/night cycle (unless Minetest has that now), the nether, crafting up to "higher tech" from specific mob drops, farming, I think fishing actually came in pretty early, boats, everything you mine can be used in various crafting recipes, some unique to the substance, standard work tool set (shovel, pick, hoe, hatchet, sword, etc etc) tools like compasses, clocks, I must list again redstone stuff (you could build lots of cool stuff in a fairly small circuitry basement, even without repeaters). In general it's just…game! Challenges, rewards, actually decent procedural generation (reminder, I'm talking about late alpha/early beta), and enough control doodads to build cool stuff. I can't remember when pistons/sticky pistons got put in, but with that, powered doors and trapdoors, ladders holding out water, tricks with torches and falling blocks, so on, so on…it was fun seeing what you could make.

Stuff like lava and falling blocks I never saw in minetest. Maybe it has it now. When I played it, there were really no game physics at all. In Minecraft, even the weird glitchy water and lava spread and flow system was fun and useful to make things with once you got used to it.

I ran a server and most of us agreed the new health system was stupid. Also, Bukkit was cool for a while, but running a server with hMod and plugins for it before it stopped being maintained was really the peak MC experience for me. I didn't do permissions systems or anything, just had some cool utility mods and would sometimes enable the crazy cheaty stuff like CraftBook at the pleas of my users, just to see what hijinks they pulled. Really it was mainly giving everyone a /home (and later limited personal warps), /tpa to request teles to people or to tele people to them, and eventually general and private warps. I thought through whether or not I wanted to add any teleportation at all, and added it slowly and in pieces. It was a cool time.

Then, of course you had to have Movecraft, even on a survival server, when it got stable. I mean how could you not? It would be anti-fun to not add it.

A lot of Holla Forums will never realize it because they were busy being hipsters not liking thing, but before Minecraft was the "viral sensation" that your little brothers play and is full of content but a trash experience now with community autism to rival Homestuck, it was a really cool and unique and somewhat punishing game college kids played and built cool stuff in. (obviously, any survival server should be set to Hard…the only person who complained about that, hate to say it, was the one generic whiny liberal in our circle of friends)

Minetest has some really basic mods with the correct mods (which are installed in our server).
Nigga, there is crafting in minetest-game.
I think this is built in into the engine.
Hell mods for Minetest, currently not installed.
What do you mean? IndustrialCraft tier autism? We have technic for that, and it's installed in the server.
Farm mod. I think it's included in minetest-game.
Present as well. You can even make sashimi with seaweed.
These have always been in minetest-game
I am sure there must be some mod for that. We do have a compass block and a RTC (real time clock) in the server, but they don't work like Minecraft. Who the fuck needed those anyway
Mesecons is basically RedPower, which is sane redstone. It's in the server, because it's a must.
Yeah, we have those as well. Falling blocks don't glitch out like Minecraft ones, by the way.

So it seems lava buckets don't even check for protection, they just pour their contents anywhere. That's why griefing is so easy and also the reason even Elders protected territory got attacked.

Somebody fix that shit or else the whole server will become a wasteland in no time.

Done some tests and read the code for both the lava can and lava bucket. They do check for protection, and it appears not to be bugged since I can't seem to place a water bucket on protected territory. It seems to be plain old hacking. No death banner messages or nothing, they just found some way to bypass protection.

By the way, the spawn zone is utterly destroyed and now it's a nightmare to get out of it. Are you sure we don't need a map reset? Like, half of the explored world is a wasteland.

That's my main bitch, you need a module to do anything gamelike.

No, I'm talking base MC, I'm comparing literally the base games with zero mods, I mean you can't brew without going to the nether and killing blazes and grabbing some soul sand and netherwort, and you can't enchant without getting a diamond pickaxe and mining some obsidian.

Did they stop being autismos and start bundling stuff everyone wanted/used and basic MC stuff in the base game? If so I'd be glad to hear it.

Sounds genuinely cool.

It was cool because it was useful but limited, and a fun way to navigate, that's all. Also, while in-game maps never really went anywhere, it was pretty cool to be able to "draw" them and frame them, just as a novelty.

But if it's sane you can't have the fun of bughunting and coming up with dumb cheesy shit to save space.

Breddy gud tbh. Can you still suffocate people with sand? My favorite thing when I went on public servers was to drop sand off high spots onto #mlg combat scrubs coming to wreck my shit and watch them suffocate, then rage and try to make the admins care and ban me.

Is your server public, if so can I have the IP? If I don't have to put mods in client-side I might try it out, it can run smoothly on my netbook last I checked.

I'm a little triggered by this tbh

xenos did it

Language has nothing to do with security, though, much less in this case where we may be talking about logic errors. In fact, if it's not written correctly, C++ may be more insecure than Java

minetest-game is pretty poor on content, yeah. Still, mods can pretty much match pre-End Minecraft and even surpass it in some aspects.

Yeah, our server is public at catgirls.animebitch.es:30000. The beauty of Minetest is that mods are all serverside and thus you don't need to worry about installing them yourself. That said, if I were you, I would wait a bit for the admin to come; getting outside of the griefed spawn zone is extremely difficult right now, so it needs a complete rebuilding

This meme needs to end. Program security does not begin or end with the code you write and compile/interpret. In fact, program security doesn't even end with software, easily compromised hardware can still undermine it. Holla Forumsfags and GNUbois have this problem where they try to artificially limit the scope of what the other person is talking about to what they want them to be talking about so they can then say they're wrong. The JVM is bad and Java programmers should feel bad. It was cool while it didn't suck but it's over, man, let it die with some semblance of dignity damn you, Oracle.

Either can be infinitely insecure if written poorly, but one of the main things C++ has going for it over Java, other than optimization, is that if you write something securely with it, it should be reasonably secure overall, whereas with Java the JVM can be kill and any low-security-through-obscurity stuff can be peeped at through the JAR itself, whereas with C you at least have to decompile, and an obfuscator can make it a little more difficult to make sense of. The upside of Java was never security, it was mobility, back when cross-compiling was sort of this whole process rather than just seducing some Boost or Qt libraries and then doing a little testing and debugging.

Now it's just what Europeans still code in to be contrarian tbh

Well, it is supposed to be really easy to write mods for, so if it's caught on after all I might try to write a few to help get it up to pre-End-Minecraft-plus-mods-tier.

It's not a meme. Logic errors can happen everywhere, even in almighty C (like was the case of Heartbleed) or Elder God muh assembly. Being written in C++ (although this part was written in Lua) isn't going to magically make the game invulnerable to, for example, making the game dumbly accept all "movement" packets without verifying before that such a move is legal and between acceptable speed boundaries. That's on the developer's part, and no amount of magically "secure" languages will solve it.

However, talking purely about language security, very little languages are actually safe. While it's true writing something in C++ saves you from JVM's inherent caveats, it also leaves you on your own for those times where you fuck your own shit up. Lowleveltards forget that, while C++ is technically "perfect" in an ideal world where programmers never make any mistakes, in practice this is not true, and RCE vulnerabilities (technically easy to avoid) are abundant in many popular programs. Programs with many years and millions put into refinement, written by people with decades of experience in programming and the language itself, are still vulnerable to these things, because we are human and can't avoid fucking up from time to time. If these people can fuck up, I don't think I could trust some random dudes who decided to make a clone of a popular game to be better than them, much less some random memers on an imageboard who have barely made anything more complex than a FizzBuzz. C++ is only secure "in theory", never in practice unless your program is relatively simple.

The HotSpot JVM is written in C++, by the way.

No shit, and I was not implying they couldn't. If you can't be bothered to read the actual comment you're responding to, don't offer your "expert" opinion.

I mean seriously, "this programming language doesn't magically prevent all programming mistakes and remove the obvious eternal necessity of sanity checking! No one was arguing this point yet I must emphatically continue to repeat it as if it were something unknown and profound! The JVM is not Java it just happens to be inextricably entwined with it, how dare these C++ shitlords insult my langfu, this is an outrage!"
Fuck off with this same old shit.

May I remind you you did equate C++ with logic safety in ? There is no fucking way placing stuff where you shouldn't is nothing else than a logic or architectural error unless we are talking about the ultimate hacker on steroids who can safely perform a buffer overflow without crashing the program just to place a single block in a single position. But FUNK isn't that hacker, and all the people hacking in all Minetest servers using a hacked tablet client aren't hackers. I doubt they can even qualify as skids.

May I remind you that you ignored what was written to repeat this same unoriginal, autistic rant which relies on you strawmanning your "opponent" and stating the obvious over and over as if it were contested and only you understood it?

No, you confused logic errors with "language errors". Don't act like I am talking about completely unrelated stuff.

I've spent the last 5 hours trying to get technic to work and I'm essentially fucking done with Minetest as a result. I'de be better off just putting up with Minecrafts bullshit to get this shit to work.

Am I doing something wrong? I installed it in the /mods/ directory renamed to "technic" with more ores and more blocks and mesecon and pipeworks to go with it. And while it works up to a certain point I can't fucking craft a grinder. And when I spawn one in on creative it just refuses to actually grind anything. I'm also getting a ton of error blocks but I have no clue if that has anything to do with technic. Is it 0.4.14? Is the install directory new or something? Is the mod being overridden by another? Is the mod just unfinished? There's zero support for this stuff on the forums. At least from what I've looked through.

Take out the dashes.

In mesecon? I just did and it did nothing.

Hm, odd. I had the same problem, and that fixed it for me.

Sorry I can't help any further.

Is this technic from github?

Thats strange, the recipe your using for a grinder is completely different to the one we use on the server.
Did they change the recipe recently?

It's from the Minetest forums. I downloaded the direct zip here forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?t=2538

That was one of the first things I did.

I'm getting my recipes from here. technic.kosyak.info/
Do you have another area you get your recipes from? The link I provided says it's old so that might be the case. It still doesn't explain why the grinder doesn't work at all though.

I'm just using whats in game, with the crafter guide.

What's are the things in the middle and middle bottom? I'll try seeing if that does it.

Middle is machine casing, 8 cast iron and brass in the middle and bottom is LV cable, 3 copper in middle row and paper in the other 6.

Yep that did it. The crafting recipe is out of date then I guess. It's not like I tried other sites though. Are you using an inventory extender or something? Also does the grinder need power? That might explain why it isn't working.

Grinder needs power yes. The server is using some sort of item crafting guide.

Theres this too:

No. Last time I checked, it worked fine, but it could have been broken by something else.

unified_inventory

Crisis situation
Shit is fucked up in many ways.
* FUNK uses hacks, cannot be banned because we lack the plugin
* admin almost never logs in, I (still) do not have ban privs anyway
* spawn and surroundings are completely griefed somehow (by FUNK)

At this point that guy has earned a place in the memers pantheon along with Xenos.

all he does is put ONE piece of lava over a building

Hi FUNK, mind being a tad more creative with your griff?

Is there a way to make it so I can't just take any item I want? I'm playing survival not ceative.

I assume you either are him or haven't seen his art

Wait how am I supposed to craft a grinder if the grinder take grounded items to make? Is there a recipe I'm missing?

it shouldn't take anything ground together
you gotta alloy smelt the metal for the machine casing, everything else I think is easily obtained

Yea I figured out that you just smelt iron again. I thought grounded coal dust was necessary.

I think you can get coal dust by just putting coal in the crafting grid.

That's actually black dye

There are multiple recipes for cast iron, the most basic is just cook wrought iron ingots a second time

Oh, my mistake.

They're a biome on our server

NICE JOB FUCKING AROUND WITH BOOKS YOU GODDAMN NIGGER

Wait what

What happened with books?

Hey guys, set up a tube mailbox by connecting a chest to a teleport tube on the channel username;inbox, e.g. "Xenos;inbox".

I have one with a channel titled "Anonyma".

I'll have to try it when I get home from work.

Also, can you just funnel a locked chest by hooking up an itemwise injector to a tube and another chest.

wake me up when there's monsters to beat up. I want to dive caves and hit monsters.

I gotta learn blender first, as its the only way to import animated models.

People have been saying that death banners are broken again

Never played minecraft before, but I played terraria a lot. Is this worth it? I've been interested in minecraft for a while, but I'm too dumb to pirate it.

Daily reminder.

Yes, actually.

It's way too addictive.
And with the crazy amount of mods on the server, I've spent two whole weeks just looking into what machines and special mechanics are in the game.

I still don't know all that there is, like how do turret guns work, like do they attack everyone but you, or everyone but your faction? Do they work against helicopters?

Also, we've been building shops at the spawn, making a little economy. I sell small bags for a minecoin each.

This. Despite how mad I was at xenos at first, at least he's not a hacker and a camwhore. Plus xenos is a pretty cool guy now, he sold me the obsidian needed to make my wizard tower.

And ultimately it was orange who poured lava all over the old city. Fuck orange.

Turret guns you have to jump in and fire automatically. The bottom node contains ammunition (TNT). I think they would work against helicopters, but the gun mod has fucky collision detection against entities, so don't count on aiming properly. I've found that aiming near the top of the helicopter helps, when using a rifle.

fire manually*

the fuck is this stupid game?

I keep joining and getting stuck on media?

Minecraft doesn't do this, why would this game do this, isn't c++ superior?

Seems like great fun, gonna join you niggers later this day. Hell Wurm was fun too with you fags.

Its not stuck, there's like 40 mods. Each gameplay element is its own mod now that minetest is strictly an engine.

I missed out on wurm ;_;

And you think that's a good reason?

Cave generation is still totally fucked, I see.
Terrain generation is actually one of the few things that is easy to heavily modify in minetest, yet caves were always horrendously ugly when I last played. I actually got a good way through writing a better cave generator, but I gave up when I realized just how limited the rest of the modding experience is.

Do the caves in this version actually have long tunnels that extend deep underground or are they just a series of unconnected air-pockets in the rock? Can you explore to any significant depth without just digging a mineshaft?

So I tried giving this a shot and the SP is pretty fun, but I can't seem to enter the server, it says my player name is not allowed.

What am I doing wrong?

Either too long, a banned name or someone else has that name already most likely.
Also these new captchas fucking suck dicks.

Nevermind, I thought user and password were supposed to be the server's instead of the client's, and left them blank. I missed this bit in the FAQ.

Thanks anyway, mate.

Yes, sometimes the edge is just unnecessary.

how far has this game gotten in terms of copying what minecraft has?
in terms of things like redstone or pistons

Redstone and pistons: better than Minecraft
The main flaw of Minetest is mobs and combat.

but like how much does it have in terms of mechanics for those?
regular, sticky, slime block
repeater, comparator, activator rail
daylight sensor, dropper, dispenser?
also apparently minecraft windows 10 edition is in c++

to clarify, more or less?

Redstone is present via a (default) mod called mesecons. It support repeaters, delayers, logic gates, programmable microcontrollers, blinking plants, etc. Pistons are there, too.
Don't remember about doors and traps.
So, more.

sticky pistons are a thing too, as are doors trapdoors, and dispensers. Only thing really missing is daylight sensor, unless I'm mistaken.

The Mesecon solar panel is a daylight sensor basically.

Sure, let's erase bad words from every single aspect of the open source community, just because teachers don't want to have to explain to kids what WTFPL means.

It isn't even about "edge" - it's just a huge waste of fucking time and breath.

lel got satan trips at irge machine, that shit is neat

Cmon Irge, you gotta do it right.

Those odds are ridiculous.

Okay I've actually had a look at the cave generation and it isn't as bad as I remember it being. It's still not very interesting, but at least it is possible to get quite deep without digging.

The house always wins

Usually the odds are closer to the real probability of winning though. Normally the house takes a ~1% cut - not a 50% cut.

minecraft win10 edition is just the pocket edition ported over from android
mojang hired one guy to completely rewrite minecraft for mobile devices, and he ended up doing a better job in a short year than mojang has done in 5 years, once microsoft bought mojang they wanted the mobile version ported to win10 since they knew that even for FREE nobody would want win10, they needed a gimmick to sell it

problem is that minecraft is still the longest running early access game that people are still fucking buying, it took years for a negligible amount of content with no substance to be added, java version is still progressively getting worse because they don't know HOW to optimize it, and the mobile edition has to play catch-up to get the same quantity of content the java version has, and the modding API never ever

minecraft.gamepedia.com/Minecraft_1.0
depends on how you define early access, since it got out of beta 5 years ago almost

Okay folks, so we need to huddle up and start some sort of alliance against niggers like FUNK and petra.

The video I posted earlier proves that FUNK was piss-scared and on the verge of death.

THEY CAN BE KILLED

Everyone get yourselves some diamond armor, and lavabuckets since petra claims they damaged him the most. Enchanted mese swords work, but they're slow. I honestly wonder if guns/rockets shrug off armor, or deal heavier damage than enchanted swords.

We need to lynch them at a moment's notice.
Also, FUNK claimed earlier that he had a base -2500 blocks underground, until we kill his base, he can just log on with another account, find his old chests, and raid again.

REMEMBER Holla ForumsOLCANO

This is where they fucked up.

It never deserved to be labeled alpha, it never deserved to be labeled "complete".
It's the same unpolished turd it was back in beta, only with more little bits of corn in the turd.

when in your opinion can it be labeled complete

My opinion when minecrap could be even remotely considered complete:

literally pretty much it. Minetest is leagues more complete in my eyes, it has both of these things.

when they deliver on the shit that had been planned for it almost since the beginning, fix the glaring issues which are mostly caused by not being fucking optimized
it never needed an actual "ending" to be labeled complete, it just needed content to fill it out as an unending landscape with unending adventure
remember that at first, minecraft classic was capable of running on a pentium4 with a fucking pci/agp graphics card from y2k
now we have an infinite procedurally generated landscape with nothing populating it except awful biome distribution with hackneyed methods of structure spawning, and it can't fucking run on anything less than an ssd/ramdisk with 4gb allocated memory and i7 or you get fucking lag from riding a horse too fast

flaot?
floating islands/Sky dimension?
I can agree with it not being complete without features that were promised
either way, if minetest has command blocks equal to or better than minecraft then it is probably better than minecraft at that point, since those really are powerful

Great server guys 10/10 not a tiny bit of an autistic circlejerk

The poster of the thread is trying to be pragmatic about getting Minetest accepted at a school, which might not want it if they find out there are swear words. Either way, I don't think it's representative of the community, since you can see plenty of people disagreeing in the thread.

mesecons is not a default mod

I don't know what slime blocks are, but I think everything except droppers and dispensers are in mesecons. You can do something like dispensers with the pipeworks mod, though it won't shoot arrows or throw potions or anything. I don't know what a dropper is.

If you factor in all three payouts, it's a 10% cut about.

DEVELOPER IS THE HACKER!
I REPEAT, THE DEVELOPER IS THE HACKER!

Nice try FUNK. You forgot the part where you actually wore your full equipment.

Actually mods can spawn structures in an intelligent way. The problem is that most of the minetest modders are fucking morons who couldn't empty a bucket if there were instructions printed on the bottom.
This is also why the terrain generator code is more than twice as slow as it needs to be - because the devs thought it necessary to generate an overlapping shell of blocks around each 80x80x80 chunk, meaning that each 16x16x16 block is, on average, generated 2.7 times. All so they didn't have to figure out how to generate trees at chunk boundaries in a deterministic way.
Even something as basic as mobs look like the texture "artist" just took a photo of a pile of shit, not to mention the abysmal lack of client-side prediction. In fact, the words "client-side" don't seem to exist in the developers' lexicon since they can't even get simple containers to not lag.

Compared to something like OpenMW, minetest is a complete joke. They have no excuse for providing a worse modding experience than a fucking closed-source, obfuscated game.

it's k it's just the boots

Not literally though, people have been talking about client-side scripting for a while, and I think somebody was working on it.

Actually mods can spawn structures in an intelligent way. The problem is that most of the minetest modders are fucking morons who couldn't empty a bucket if there were instructions printed on the bottom.
This is also why the terrain generator code is more than twice as slow as it needs to be - because the devs thought it necessary to generate an overlapping shell of blocks around each 80x80x80 chunk, meaning that each 16x16x16 block is, on average, generated 2.7 times. All so they didn't have to figure out how to generate trees at chunk boundaries in a deterministic way.
Even something as basic as mobs look like the texture "artist" just took a photo of a pile of shit, not to mention the abysmal lack of client-side prediction. In fact, the words "client-side" don't seem to exist in the developers' lexicon since they can't even get simple containers to not lag.

Compared to something like OpenMW, minetest is a complete joke. They have no excuse for providing a worse modding experience than a fucking closed-source, obfuscated game.

No, lua is fine. The problem is that they provided a horrendously limited modding API. Modders can't really control the engine - they can only add content. It's a modding API fit only for kids to make their "EPIC POOP SWORD MOD".

I was referring to minecraft, forgot to link to this post in the reply

Have you people never played modded minecraft before? I'd love for minetest to be good but it just can't compare. Half of the problem is a lack of skilled modders, but the other half is that the modding capabilities in Minecraft (using forge) far exceed the capabilities of minetest. The lack of features drives modders away.

If you look at the minecraft modding scene they're doing things like adding ways to detach a section of blocks from the world and apply full rigid-body physics to them so you can build an airship and fly it around or knock chunks of a structure around with explosions. There's another mod which adds seamless transparent portals which actually render what's on the other side as if you were looking through them. Those kinds of things are completely impossible and unthinkable in minetest. Unless the developers accept a pull request for a low-level c++ implementation of those features, you'll never see them.

And posting is broken again. Fuck this shitty site.

Isn't that already possible in Minetest? Some threads ago we were considering adding it to the server.

Anyway, some mods for Minecraft aren't done via Forge, but by directly modifying the code of the game. This is easy thanks to Java's nature. That's pretty much cheating; you could also make mods like those by recompiling Minetest.

Forge > Minetest default API, though

you might have a point but I'de still prefer minetest simply because it's not fucking broke to anybody who has a rig older than 2009. At the very least I'm noticing a larger amount of people finding out about this game so if it's open source we very may well get c++ implementation some time down the future.

Well, that too. However, Minecraft's (never ever) future official modding API was mentioned to be much more limited than Forge. I guess some things cannot be run client-side without risking security.

Do rubber trees only grow on certain soil? I can't find any of them anywhere and when I try to make a sapling grow with bonemeal it refuses.

Green dirts, I think.

kek

Pretty sure that didn't cause the crash, the crash happened later

It's 3 digits

I'll bump the payout for trips to 45, assuming the thing hasn't been destroyed yet

Why hasn't shooter been disabled yet? It's caused nothing but problems.

They could just remove the node damage

it wasn't shooter, it was magic

Sorry, guys. I'll push my latest changes to master soon. Death magic will soon be worth taking!

Here's the source for my slot machine. You'll have to figure the hardware out on your own.

gist.github.com/anonymous/07fea26f117ec3d8eb0812a2b50db598

Well, I'm going to give Minetest a spin for the first time. Are there any mods you guys recommend for a good singleplayer experience?

I have a problem. My locale is Japanese so the game displays on Japanese. Any option to change the language manually?

yes, in minetest.conf

Ethereal for better mapgen, moreores to make underground more interesting, Mesecons for circuits autism, digilines for ultimate circuit autism, Technic for grinding autism, xdecor and homedecor for comfy houses. Add doors for cute doors and maybe castle if you want a castle, and you are good to go. Don't forget to add some mobs mod if you are into threats, but I can't recommend you any because I have no idea.

Add language = en in your minetest.conf

Any chance of locked_travelnet being added?

forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?pid=122279

(basically) free teleportation makes travel too easy

Basically this. We could try to install that warp mod the old server had in which you had to mine several super rare blocks to make a single (I think two way) portal, but Travelnet is simply stupid unless it's admin-only or in a creative server. Skyland also qualifies as well, because building bridges between islands is just a pain in the ass.

Do it faggots

Do it faggots.

It would be cool if there was a technic teleporter.

In general technic needs more stuff, specially at the HV level.

I agree. Someone earlier called Thaumcraft a boring tech tree mod, and I think Technic is even more of this, except the tech tree isn't even that big. Technic needs more fun stuff to play with.

Of course someone could make a technic_fun_stuff mod or whatever, maybe separate mods for each group of related fun things.

Did someone say nether?

NEW THREAD