Disliking RPG games in general

Is it normal for a human being to have only a few favorite genres of video games? I mean i really really hate rpgs even though i tried many time to get myself interested with them, i never succeeded and dropped all of them, no matter where they have been produced.

But i have fun with fighting games, platformers and action games with combat system, like DMC3 or God hand. Am i really bad person for not liking rpgs and i should feel insecure about it? I just don't see any fun in them. Dragon's Dogma may be the only exception in this rule, though.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x2z222y_j-s-bach-bach-to-jazz_music
youtube.com/watch?v=01gzVYDV5B8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

RPGs bore me to death, the only ones i have truly enjoyed were MOTHER 3 and Chrono Trigger. Other than that i can't get past the title screen.

At least i am not alone with this. They bore me for sure. Especially when you come to the part where you need to repeat grinding sequence for hundred time, where you just click the best attack available, and there's still more than twice as that ahead. With no real story progression, but stupid side stories or filler content.

That thread is full of bait, and its not related to the subject.

I don't hate RPGs, but I don't like them either. It's just not for me. As a kid I always said "I don't like games with swords and magic" I was always action oriented. Fps is my favourite genre.

The only RPG I liked was Gothic. I've beaten Gothic 1 and 2 like 10 times. I don't know why.

Funny, because sports games bore me to death. However I won't shit on a sports game for being a sports game. I will shit on it for not improving from the previous year's version to the point you are paying 60 dollars for a roster update.

I think everyone has different tastes. I'm very bad at FPS and action fighters (DMC), for example. I don't hate racing games, but I cannot do well with them.

I enjoy RPGs because I enjoy trying different builds, which usually involves having different powers or abilities on each playthrough, which means you have to focus on different things. For example, with a party that wasn't balanced where you have no healing, it might become a damage race against a boss, rather than trying to gradually defeat them.

Another thing I enjoy is to defeat enemies quicker. Early on, you might have 10 STR and take 3 hits to kill a slime. You level up and have 12 STR and now it only takes 2 hits! Sneak off to another town early and suddenly you can afford a new weapon that lets you kill the monsters there really easily. Now you're way ahead of the power curve early on

I knew Holla Forums was full of casuals but it's always a little bit surprising.

What do you expect from the modern Holla Forums user? Broad tastes? What are you, an autist? :^)

I certainly don't expect good taste from anyone here.

Wew lad

You might be onto something

The only RPGs I enjoy are all modern, like Skyrim and Shadow of Mordor

Perhaps it has something to do with the superior non-RNG real time combat.

Ifd you don't grow up with them and have them be their first impression when you're really young then you most likely won't like them much.

Shh shh user, go back to your popamole and sports games.

Yes, that's totally a valid concept of morality.
You should. Your video game penor is very small and you should feel small, accordingly.

I only like strategy games.

You should play Fallout 4. That game is full of superior non-RNG real time combat, unlike its inferior predecessors, Fallout 1 and Fallout 2.

JRPGfags will defend this, since their precious menus are the only things allowing them to play videogames, god forbid we have variables or even worse, fun

Yes, it is. Look at music, for example. Usually people who are really into music only like a handful of genres.

"RPG" games dont even have any role playing they are just casual shitty story centered games with lazy ass fuck gameplay and stats as excuse for depth.
The whole genre was always trash and hasnt helped games advance in a single way.

You can't say that unless you try all the flavours of rpg but excluding the games with rpg elements, borderlands i'm looking at you.
If you mean you hate turn based rpgs, i kinda agree with you but there are exceptions.

I say you should at least try the following before you make a definitive statement:
If you hate all of those there might be something wrong with you

Sounds like you just have an axe to grind against that genera. I guess the average Holla Forums user really will hate any game they don't like regardless.

Fucking garbage rhythm button combat
Babbies first rpg

Play M&M6 you fucking casul

Lads, get off your fucking high horse and realise people have different tastes than you.

What a dumb question. Would you expect the average person to enjoy every kind of musical genre or film genre out there? Even something that's considered a classic of a certain genre won't appeal to anyone whose tastes oppose that.

This is something many on Holla Forums seem to have a hard time grasping, but different people have different tastes where different things will appeal to them. Different strokes for different folks. The world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you may not be right for some. etc.

Perhaps you should stop being such a close minded faggot and broaden your vidya tastes.

Just because you play ASSFAGGOTS tier games doesn't mean your "different tastes" have the right to be judged equally.

Nu/v/ nuff said

sounds like weak bait to me, I used to play JRPGs all the time back when they were good, summons are usually the one thing that never misses because they cost so much. i do hate overly long animations though. looking back there is no reason to not have a "skip" button for summons.

What an unfair and sweeping generalization. Here, let me try.

"All of my games have to have characters who have amnesia and learn about themselves because Nips have zero personality and can't write character development worth a shit. Also I have to stand in one place and wait my turn because dodging attacks is too hard for my triple-thick sausage fingers. RNG is okay because it is literally the only shred of difficulty these games have. I am also okay with games that are completely unrelated (except for being Nip shit) having the exact same characters thanks to anime tropes that are used to sell effortless horseshit to desperate weeb trash like myself and my tulpa gf."

There's your post right there.

Some people just want to relax and have fun, you know.

I don't fucking play ASSFAGGOTS or even agree with the shit OP is saying, the game I'm currently playing is an RPG for fucks sake.
What I'm saying is to stop acting like you're better than everybody else.

But you are not the one shitting on an entire genera from some shit games. That kind of mindset will keep you from enjoying all types of vidya because "Oh, X game is Y genera? Fuck that shit." I'm just laughing at the normalfags that think barring themselves from an entire selection of vidya because they had a bad experience with a game is more than enough of a justification to kneecap themselves like that.

No user, I said nothing about difficulty and did not mean to imply it at all. The witcher and pokemon simply have shitty garbage tier repetitive gameplay that has no depth or quality to it at all. Play games that have good gameplay, regardless of difficulty. Witcher and pokemon have neither, they are simply shit.

It is like poetry in motion. You can't write jokes like this. Please, continue. Gather together your gang of fashionable teenagers and defeat me.

If you think this is casual then have a look at some shit like /r/gaming on leddit, or the front page of the gaming topic on YouTube.
People who spout "Holla Forums is casual!" have no idea how bad casuals actually are. They literally never play a game that's older than a few years and honestly think we're living in a golden age of gaming. Casuals also never play anything that isn't marketed to fucking hell and back.
The fact OP plays God Hand should be enough proof he's not a casual, because most of them don't even know what that game is.

He's not shitting on the genre. He said "I mean i really really hate rpgs", not "RPGs are bad".
Saying "I' just don't see any fun in them" =/= "RPGs are a shit and unfun genre"

Ironic considering that's what you're basically saying.

I've interacted with casuals in real life. The type who think pc gaming = steam, and the games they play are dark souls, ASSFAGGOTS, shooters, and pokemon. They also love memes and spout that cringey shit all over. It's exactly like Holla Forums. Holla Forums is unbelievably casual, the only difference between reddit and Holla Forums is that both shitholes think they are better than the other.

You are trying to speak logically to a person who spells "genre" as "genera." Don't waste your breath.

Have you ever looked inside an attempted DoTA thread before? They're always full of shitposting telling the OP to fuck off. Same with Steam threads.
At this point I wonder if you're baiting or actually have this level of dissonance. My question is why to people who hate Holla Forums even use this board?

Pokemon fire red is easily one of the best games ever made if you ignore what the series has come to and the userbase.

Go ahead and call me a casual for not liking your shitty 20-hour grindfests :^)

Shooter, action, RPG. Those are the only valid genres IMO. Using a very broad definition of all three, where jrpgs actually manage to qualify as being rpgs.

Platformers are trash. 3d platformers are trash by definition and 2d platformers don't really compete with level packs for NES games.

Fighting games are trash. They refuse to innovate beyond the absolute worst of mechanics, from the side-locked perspective to the move list memorization.

Sports, racing, simulators… just fuck that shit.

Sandbox/open world type can be fine, but usually they fit into one (or more) of the big 3.

Replace 2D platformers with popamole, add strategy, and you might actually have good taste.

Do a control+f for "pokémon go" on the catalog, you'll find nothing. It also have nothing do with what I said, it's not an ASSFAGGOTS.
This isn't an ASSFAGGOTS either and those threads usually also get lots of shitposting.
This is simply false, user. Steam threads are full of piratefags screaming ">using DRM".

Grind is never good, but the best rpgs are IMO the ones that allow you to bypass it.
In this category fall games that you can complete withouth ever backtracking or stationing in a zone to grind, and also the ones you can complete at level 1

Can't believe I forgot about strategy! Probably because the genre is so dead, but yeah that can be good too.

I won't budge on platformers. cover based and modern shooters are all shit too, but it's not the genre of shooters it's just a subgenre.

It really is impressive how upset they get if you say you don't like RPGs to them.

No, very good observation user, I was simply giving you more examples of how much of a casual shitstain Holla Forums is that it not only tolerates those games but revels in them.

You mean steam threads are full of Holla Forums users calling anyone who insults steam a gogshill :^)

I think it's for the best to let strategy rest in peace. That way at least, you don't have to worry about modern casuals shitting all over it with garbage new games. Just keep playing Forged Alliance. Better for the genre to die in peace than live as a corpse.

Video-games is for normalfags and fags. I just do Shuts and ladders, Backgammon and Chess. That's where the real men is at.

Get on my level

OP should feel bad for being an insecure faggot.

The ad hominems of ass blasted rpg fans are off the charts.

You're not even playing the best one.

Faggot, what a normalfag taste you got.

Summons generally don't miss in RPGs, because of that exact reason.

Summons also generally have a stipulation of being only able to be used once a battle, or needing a meter built up to it in Grandia 3's case, and it generally changes the battlescape, (stopping time for about a minute in battle, doing a shitload of damage, auto revive shit, etc.)

Where are you getting this missing summon from? It never happens. The only way I think that'd happen is in Disgaea, which is an SRPG series where things will miss or hit 0 damage if the level gap between two parties is too wide.

An uninformed opinion is a worthless one.

There are such things as good and bad opinions, but your post falls under "complete bullshit because i've never bothered to play one and i want to shit on it because it's what THE COOL PEOPLE do"

Seriously, you act like a child. You do know this board's not for kids, right?

The best part is how if you acted this way to them they'd just respond with 1000 smug anime images while saying "wow faggot real mature".
They have no sense of self-awareness

The quality of this board has never been great, but god damn. How can you possible go from shit to something worse than shit? Holla Forums, that's how. If you don't play Ludo religiously, you're the cancer killing this board.

book
No. This is fucking stupid. There's nothing wrong with not liking certain genres. Just like this thread is about people who don't like RPGs, I get bored to tears by any FPS that isn't Doom. There's nothing wrong with not liking what you don't like.

I get the feeling Holla Forums is full of children with little to none paternal education

Everyone has different tastes and that's ok

so far, you've provided no reasons as to why you hate them, and you're acting like being pissed at an idiot who doesn't know shit all about a subject also makes you an idiot.

You've posted 6 times and you're saging? It's not a downvote, redditfag.

Well, that explains why Common Core is still alive

Unless you don't like anything good and only like trash. like someone who hates steak but loves mcdonalds
That isn't the same as not liking all FPS

He's also not provided a statement of him saying he dislikes RPGs in the first place.
He's not OP.
He probably just doesn't want to bump the thread?

I'm sure most people have genres of games they don't like no matter how hard they try to get into them. Why don't we try sharing them? Here, I'll start

I just can't do it. They're pretty much the most popular shit right now and I really can't get into it at all no matter how hard I try. I feel left out but I can't do it.

Chrono Trigger was the only JRPG that had a story that I cared for. I enjoy the gameplay okay with JRPGs, it's just that the stories are garbage, which is mostly the point of the game for me in that genre.

Western RPGs are okay, but they've turned into mostly shit since around 2005.

Oh, and Mario RPG on SNES and some Paper games were pretty good.

I don't like worrying about stats, what kinda gear is the best, or a rather slow and turn-based combat system.

I just want a game that has the difficulty turned the fuck up to 11 and drops me right in with no questions asked.

It's the adrenaline i'm looking for when playing games, not a quiet or calming atmosphere, shit needs to be heart-pounding and finger-breaking for me to enjoy it. I can understand the appeal of RPG's and how cozy it is shifting through menus and training each individual party member for maximum efficiency. grinding level after level in order to achieve an ultimate goal. But man, I just don't have time for that.

so fam u ain't get tired of dat same optimized initial 3 minutes or so in devil's daggers nycka?

I mean, prolly more than that tbh monica but das as far as a nigga eva bothered to plan it out u kno.

i mean i feel u on watchu sayin but in a pve context is dat shit really all dat pulse poundin' most of da time u b playin dat ain't necessarily all dat excitin.

You shouldn't ask questions with obvious answers unless you want a thread's worth of shitposting.

Is it normal for a human being to have only a few favorite genres of music? I mean i really really hate jazz even though i tried many time to get myself interested with it, i never succeeded and dropped all of them, no matter where they have been produced.

But i have fun with blues, pop and rock with lyrics, like Hotel California or Carry On Wayward Son. Am i really bad person for not liking jazz and i should feel insecure about it? I just don't see any fun in them. Peggy Lee's Fever may be the only exception in this rule, though.

Go back to Plebbit.

Only ones liking nigger-jazz is tryhards and hipsters.

Always has been that way.

i lyk jazz but u rly gotta filter thru a lot bullshit to find summa dat crack tho monica. these niggas kinda hipsterish i take it but dey killt deez zelda tracks fammo.

user, let me disprove your theory.
Let's start with some comfy joyous Toy, from Canonnball Adderley, and Bill Evans

Then, maybe some cool jazz from the biggest jazz-musician to this age, Miles Davis

Maybe continue with something quicker, you might say, so let's taste some of the finest tenor saxophonist, John Coltrane

Want something more blues-y? What about Oscar Peterson?

Or the biggest pianist, whom even Rachmaninoff were listening, because he was looking up to him so much.

Something for the lonely, rainy nights. Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus, Max Roach; all musicians whom should be known a lot more widely.

i>>10478809

I hate Miles Davis, but I love the bebop classics of the era. Miles is too slow, bluesy and boring for my taste.

My man! Have some early Charlie Parker playing Cherokee. Real shame he couldn't stop destroying himself, his first 3 years in the mid-late '40s were the absolute best

Well, Rachmaninoff was a jew, of course he promoted diversity.

This particular song goes at a neck-breaking speed of 300+, if I recall correctly. Even today, most musicians couldn't really play that fast, let alone improvise. To top it off, Parker had the usual 1+ bottle of whiskey in him, and he still manages to play coherently.

I see you put very little thought into this comment, didn't you, user? Have you ever listened to their work? Or do you have any single fact that Rachmaninoff actually promoted diversity?

Of course, if we are talking abou hard bebop, we must talk about the big band of Charles Mingus. This piece is recorded after he passed away, but with mostly the original band.

Pretty cool, sounds like gypsy jazz.

You are spamming the thread with unrelated shit, so i have full right to bully you.

THis one is one of my favourites.

Bullying? I think saying some mean words over the internet doesn't count as bullying, user. And while I does spam unrelated jazz videos, the thread was dead already, so why not use it for some chilling?

for whatever reasons my preferences change over time, maybe just due to other games im enjoying at the time setting or altering some kind of foundation in my subconscious. i dont know.
no, its not weird. besides, you said there was an exception, so there are likely more exceptions and theres some common element that most rpgs have that happen to turn you off.

Very nice tunes!

Pretty nice, I listen the rest of the album later, thanks.

Do you like Paquito?

Sadly, I never heard it before, but the bassline got my heart right at the beginning.

I was never able to find, who did this, but I love it:
dailymotion.com/video/x2z222y_j-s-bach-bach-to-jazz_music

This one stands out, but I never heard percussions come together so neatly.

Jacob Colier is very talented, I especially like his singing.

Not gonna lie my man, I'm a little disappointing. I guess you're more of a jazz guy, but you gotta expand a little.
Anyways, have some free jazzy shit.

I really hate turn based stuff. The only thing I can stand is Pokémon, and that was probably because I played it as a kid.

What i dislike the most about RPGs is that they're pretty repetitive, Western or Japanese or even slav, all of them are like "action/tactics game with some stats to call it a RPG in the cover" to me, there's no real roleplaying or inmersion, and the settings are also fucking generic.

Yes, I tend to listen something until I can hum it along exactly while I'm walking. I walk a lot, party because of this habit.

I intend to change on this.

I actually hate going to free-jazz concerts, because even if the music is good, there are those pretentious snob fucks, who behave like they own jazz, and drum along on their legs, even hum some stupid shit along

Aside that, this one was very fucking nice.

I don't even like "proper" free jazz. The song I sent actually had a lot of coherence compared to that crap.

Here's some fusion jazz.

youtube.com/watch?v=01gzVYDV5B8

I couldn't even bring myself to listen more than three minutes from Love Supreme.

The problem with them that you can only appreciate them of you are dwelling in jazz very deep, and even that you only enjoy the complexity on the go, not the actual song.

Holy shit, Guthrie Govan is the first guitarist I can really like, many thanks, user.

No prob, he's very likeable. This is someone from my country.

Nice playing from the guy.
Here's from mine country.