Was it Worth the weight

Was it Worth the weight

It used to be.

Team Fortress 2 used to be really, really goddamn fun.
Holla Forums during TF2 in it's prime was great, the entire board felt happy, shitting out OC and everyone was having fun.

I'm gonna get assblasted for this, but currently the only game that recaptures the fun of vanilla TF2 is Overwatch.
It's just that it flat out isn't as good as TF2 was, and by now Holla Forums is way too different and set in it's ways, everyone has their personal agenda against certain things while at the time shit was simpler, if you liked a video game you just played that video game and that was the end of it.

Feel free to shitpost this post and get angry but it's the simple truth.

As far as base gameplay goes Overwatch is sort of what TF2 should have been.

Most people who would argue that TF2 is better will mainly point to the quake-derived classes like Soldier and Demoman but the game's big problem was how having classes that could move around maps at great speeds fucked with the balance.

Overwatch's main problem is sadly shit that should be an expected standard in FPSs like support for custom content and community servers.

I feel the same way, though the game that captured the fun for me was Undertale.

Undertale

I don't feel TF2's in an irreparable state even now. It's still a fantastic game if you somehow chance upon good players or play with friends, and frankly it's still the best implementation of differently-specialized classes in a shooter on the market today.

Problem lies in a brain drain of both Valve and the community; TF2 got earth-shatteringly popular with the free-to-play update, and while it honestly didn't affect the actual skill level of the playerbase too much (people were fucking bad in the average server well before F2P came along and mostly the people I see bawling that F2P killed the game have been comp circlejerkers who wouldn't play in places where F2Ps would go in the first place so it's kind of a gated-community "keep those filthy shitstained peasants out of our gardens" thing) the playerbase increase meant there was more of the crap that you'd chance upon. Then came Quickplay, one of Valve's many blanket solutions to a problem that required mild precision, then came the Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator as an anti-cheat (which didn't work at keeping cheaters out) that made trading unnecessarily obtuse and Steam-integrated in the process, removal of flavor from the game through the changes to inventory and crafting along with the trade changes (long gone are the days of crafting recipes being something the community would have to figure out on their own as well as off-the-wall surprises like the Bonk Helm's recipe), and all the while it became more and more apparent that TF2's development is a skeleton crew that doesn't give a shit about the game enough to even playtest anything they develop and now the game's kind of caught in a purgatory of 5 MB hotfixes after minor updates because they broke fucking something with their Ethiopia code and being too lazy to even pluck from the Steam Workshop's constant influx of high-quality custom models and weapon ideas.

Overall what the game needs is developers that love it again. But, barring a rush of employment from people who adore the game and want to see it succeed while simultaneously being competent programmers, it probably won't ever get that. Valve's management structure means the people that work on it are the people that want to be working on it.

And no, a Source 2 port wouldn't solve anything. Not unless they used the TF2 Beta testing version of the game for old weapon/balancing ideas as an initial base, because that version of the game is both decently up to date and from far back enough that it wasn't the unoptimized mess of a codebase it currently is.

You aren't wrong, but to me Overwatch just took weapons and concepts from TF2 and other class based shooters and made individual unique characters based on that, while implenting the DPS-tank-healer core of most MMORPGs.

You're kind of illustrating the user's point with that bait.

epik meme

Soldier and Demo being able to rocket around the fucking place is in part the problem of mappers not knowing how the fuck to balance around their jumping abilities. It's not even really hard; several CTF maps follow the design philosophy of a central outdoors or wide-open area with little in the way of cover, then walled-off and indoor bases. This rigs it so that Demo and Soldier can only really shine in their xX360n0sc0peXx bombjump mobility in the middle of the map, where you've got a laser-dot in the middle of your stupid head at all times from every member of the opposite team that happens to be out and about. Meanwhile Scout still has a tremendous general mobility advantage from his sheer speed and double-jump, and so on and so forth. Demoman and Soldier are effectively lopped off at the knees without anybody else being affected.

The dev team is, what, four people? There's more talent working on the game for free than actually working at Valve. The movie studio that made the pass time mode had more TF2 developers than Valve.

It's not like there aren't people out there who could fix this.

I agree. The problem is just that. All the community servers are cancer and valve killed all their Valve servers. I host a pure server but nobody plays.
THIS
TF2 is a game that I adore but every day I get my soul crushed when I try to play it. I have a crippling TF addiction, and TF2 is handsdown THE most polished entry. CustomTF x TF2 is my dream game because TF2 had so many great ideas that the oldfags reject because TF2 is a bad word now.

If you don't have at least 500 hours of QuakeWorld you have no business making TF2 maps. There are enough shitty single texture maps out there with garbage level design. We don't need more.

It's not the number of people that is the problem. 4 people who genuinely care about improving the game can pump out a hell of a lot of content in a short time, ESPECIALLY in a BSP game. They just don't care.

Quit posting that shitty picture, it's not even remotely funny.

Trading was a mistake.

Advertise a little, nigga. TF2 Steam forums, forums geared toward competitive players (which is a laugh in and of itself but they're the likeliest candidates to play on a pure server), here on Holla Forums, anywhere you can think of. Just make sure to moderate the server worth a damn and you'll be set, I'd certainly check it out and give it a favorite. I have a hard enough time trying to find Trouble in Terrorist Town servers that aren't absolutely inundated in cancer, let alone something like a TF2 pure server. There's autists even on here that'll say "just find a pure server if you don't want obnoxious unusuals/black box-concheror soldiers/demoknights!" but it's not that easy.

What came after trading was a mistake, the system itself was fine when first introduced and let you more easily get your hands on things like weapons you didn't have because the drop system hated you or a hat you wanted but repeated prayers to higher RNG powers didn't provide. In hindsight it was the first metastasizing cell but isolated it wasn't anything to worry about.

There's plenty of people that could fix it, the problem is them being in a position to fix it.

The only thing I want in overwatch is advanced techniques like rocket jumping. And the problem with that in a casual, profitable shooter is exemplified in TF2: the classes that can't rocket jump reliably and aren't named medic or scout don't get played.
In that way, OW is really more like TF2 was "intended" to be: a casual, "reasonably" balenced game. Not that blizzion is getting my sheckles that that price, oy gevalt. I'm not paying for a f2p game.

Here's my server/rules.

It goes down sometimes for brief periods but when I move it over to another machine soon it won't happen anymore.

Also should I call it Mugi's TF2 tea party? She's the one that actually serves the stuff.

and then i never played that mode again. i'll never understand how some people can be so retarded

I might be on later. Gib address

What does RDM mean? I never got into TTT or other source games barring Empires and TF2.

Random DeathMatch

Looks good to me, I'll definitely pop by when I've got the time.

Random DeathMatch, except in the context of TTT it means "you killed me even if you were playing the game as it was intended and because I'm fucking five and the admin is spineless you're breaking the rules that I set so I can't be killed but you can". Gmod in general got hugely popular ~2007-2008 there's that fucking date again and server quality tanked as a result with RP servers and kill-everything aimbot SWEPs being favored over build servers and goof-around SWEPs. The game hasn't recovered.

A fucking sign if anytihng.

That's some bullshit statement you just spouted.
don't care that you like overcuck blizz game, but that statement is bullshit. There's a difference between people liking different things and "people having different agendas to push". What a stupid thing to say. If this was Holla Forums, maybe, but on a videogame's board. fuck off.

I hate Holla Forums, not because I hate Holla Forums itself, but because I hate that it spills into every other board.

TF2 was never good, It was the Overwatch of its time.

If you replaced TTT with space station 13 then you basically have the standard ss13 experience. Why the fuck do semi-role-play games attract all the underages and shitmins?

Role-playing attracts autism, and those are the entry-tier role-playing games. It's the same situation as with anime.

I think it's the illusion of being able to do anything you want which triggers the mind of a youngster, which is probably why Minecraft and Gmod are so hugely popular.

I think there are several main problems in Space Station 13 which stops it from being a really fun game, like, for instance, anybody being a traitor so you can't trust anybody and so the default modus operandi is to avoid everybody, seeing as you can't straight up kill them or else you'll get banned for "griefing".

This is an even more concerning problem when you realise that even the commanding officers and security can be traitors, meaning there's no "safe class" you can trust and be around, and even those who are supposed to help you can pull out a stun baton, drag you into a vent, and keep hitting you with a three-shot energy sword as they drag you. And despite the absurdity of this happening, you can't bitch because traitors can do whatever they want. Who am I supposed to trust if not my fucking HOP?

And when you consider that the combat is janky ass, basically revolving around a Scout match in TF2 where you have to run around in circles, use Disarm, and pray that you push your enemy down long enough to use the cable ties on them - which is itself an incredibly unfun mechanic, seeing as it means you get to go AFK for five minutes until everybody leaves and then you click "resist" and have to wait another minute for it to happen.

Overall a janky experience that is in desperate need of a remake to iron out the issues.

reply #33

wait, not weight

ok

I disagree.

Nigger, you do know that paranoia is one of the main themes of ss13 right?
Not on 95% of the servers, no.

Jesus Christ

That's because Holla Forums has been co-opted by reddit, much like how they co-opted gamergate.

It still hurts how much they scrapped their original concept. It seems like they delivered less of a game than originally planned.

How do you feel about /furry/, well, /fur/ now then? Because they do exactly the same shit

The only reason I don't play tf2 anymore is because all of my friends don't play it anymore, and all public servers are filled with nofun faggots.

I don't think the game is nearly as ruined as everyone says it is. Yes, hats are cancer and whatnot, and they added too much shit in general. But it can still be fun as fuck.

Hell, if I had friends who played tf2 I might actually try and get my own server. I still got an old pc left that I can use for that shit.

is micspam allowed?

You mean Holla Forums and Holla Forums bait everyone into a fight and shit up any possibility for good threads.

They've been raiding us for months now.

Overwatch is better.

Eat shit

I agree that TF2 used to bring Holla Forums together, but Overwatch doesn't capture that same feeling. The game feels like a half-hearted clone and watching it from the outside and the people that play it, it's not the same.
Gameplay aside, you don't have a server browser so a community can't gather the same way it used to in older games. There's no micspam it was fine in moderation and most of the OC is uninspired comics drawn by tumblr about headcanons because the characters themselves are bland stereotypes.

There hasn't been any other game that truly replaced TF2. Considering the state of the industry, there won't be either.