Emulation Thread

Can't see one so I made one. How hard is it to run Mark of Kri on pcsx2? Will it crap out on a laptop like Black?

Other urls found in this thread:

xenia.jp/
wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Devil_May_Cry
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_2
sourceforge.net/projects/hpsx64/
psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List),
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Devs have basically burned out as far as developing PCSX2. There's no more passion and no more talent going into developing it.

You're better off getting a PS2 on the cheap and modding it, since its fucking easy to do.

It's kind of pathetic that the Wii U and 3DS are reaching playable state but PCSX2 is still slogging along doing fuckall.

Then again, Play! is chugging along nicely.

I think rather its reached a point where its clear that what they've been working on can't do what they want it to do, and never will, and that they need to start over from square one if they want to reach the goal. If you've ever worked on a project that hit the same block, you know how hard it is to keep going after that, especially when you're working without pay.

Maybe the devs of PCSX2 are just shit
People say the PS2 just uses exotic hardware, but I doubt it, it just takes some experimenting with HLE I think, it is still just a RISC-based machine. Even 1st party Gamecube games used Nintendos proprietary graphical API and modern Direct3D and OpenGL calls work fine with it

Emulation is novel but not worth much at the moment. It has historical value in its preservation but the experience compared to original hardware on its intended display is a total joke.

They kind of fucked themselves over by taking the easy route and going with plugins. I guess they wanted the instant popularity of having the first functional PS2 emulator and ended up with the mess they did.

Play! has been in development for less than a year IIRC, yet it can already boot up some games, so it's likely not the hardware being too complex that is stalling progress.

Like I said to the previous user, they fucked up by going the plugin route and ended up with messy project they couldn't untangle.

Play! Is mobileshit for the unenlightened masses.

Though once it gets off the ground, I'm sure it'll get a port for desktop OSes.

Oh yeah, and I can also recall PCSX2 devs saying there will never be an Android port because "Android is too weak" while the Dolphin devs did it no problem

Yeah, I've heard of Play! It also has an Android port so it already sounds like whoever is behind it is much more competent

I know this is b8, but what is stopping you from both owning original hardware and using emulators as well? Don't you want to play Gamecube games in native 1080p user?

EPSXE can't do accurate sound for games towards the end of the PS1's life, unless there's a better plugin than Eternal SPU out.

Vagrant story, as an example.

Nigger, Play! is a cross-platform emulator. There's already Windows build for it.

At least they shouldn't lie and just admit the code is too fucked up for them to have any chance to port it properly.

Why use EPSXE when there's more accurate PS1 emulators out there?

I'd rather pla the 25 good GC games on a wii u natively rendered at 1080p. Otherwise the wii works well. It better accomodates 4 people and doesn't shit the bed with amd hardware. Its also 100% accurate. I'm not some graohics fag that sacrifices accuracy and playability for hacky forced wide screen or stretched images.

Its not bait when someone has issues with something you just accept.

ppsspp was also made for android. and the new dreamcast emulator.

you should be glad the mobilefags are writing new emulators for us for free

What do you guys think of this?

Okay, well, I did a search and the top results advertised loudly that it was for android.

Damn jewgle

What do you recommend? Back when I was heavy into emulation, ePSXE was in front of the pack.

Dolphin is getting more accurate CPU emulation all the time, in fact, Dolphin 5.0 has a bunch of compatibility improvements just by improving CPU emulation. It wont be long before Dolphin can run games with 100 percent accuracy

user, I don't think you realize the scale of the project Dolphin is, its over 300 dedicated devs working for hours on end autistically studying the Gamecube hardware ad optimizing it

How about you not talk out of your ass next time around?

Mednafen or Xebra. Times have left EPSXE behind.

Now this really begs the question, where's a horde of autists doing the same for the PS2?

Or is this final proof that Nintendo fans are, by and large, all autistic?

where and when?

My guess is nobody wanted to begin the jaunting task of making a new PS2 emulator since PCSX2 was the top dog and everyone was just waiting for it to become more optimized but it never did

I don't think the PCSX2 devs even realize the damage they did to the PS2 emulation community by fucking their shit up and mismanaging it. Reminder that we don't even have an alternative Gamecube/Wii emulator besides Dolphin

Citra you summerfag.

Well, okay, calling it "playable" might be a stretch in most cases, but it can boot up commercial games, it can run said games at sub-optimal FPS, and with each new release compatibility and stability improve by leaps and bounds.

The Dolphin devs did the smart thing when they saw how they had fucked up their project and went full open source, and look at them now.

I'm thankful the Play! dev picked up the flag, maybe this time around something good will come out of it.

Why wait years for a theoretically 100% (although its a fact not alll games are tested thoroughly) accurate emulator when i have had a 100% accurate experience and a hard drive full of games for years already? By the time this theotetical dolphin comes out i can easily have played every gc/wii game worth playing. I rarely replay games because there is much more to play.

Also this
xenia.jp/

Seems to be pretty legit. And they've been making major progress by leaps and bounds getting many games to work apparently. Pretty damn impressive. We might soon be able to play Red Dead Redemption on PC lads

How good is it right now?

Why is PPSSPP so good?
It's like black magic. still wish I could run Pangya

Still behind where PCSX2 is now.

It's literally a slightly better implementation of the N64 remember how well emulated the N64 is?
PCSX2 is in the state it currently is because:

You recall wrong, play is more than 10 years old by that point, and at the pace it's going you're not gonna see any major improvement over PCSX2 before 5-10 years.
If you really want to place your hopes on a random project Hpsx2 is what you should be looking at, less dev time than Play! and it's already farther along.

Except the part where for 8 years it was developed exclusively for desktop hardware

It's almost like 2 different console will have different set of requirements to be emulated, also NGC and Wii on android is less than stellar inb4 "but that one game runs fine

The longer answer is that PS2 emulation is more CPU heavy than NGC/Wii (with exceptions), ARM is way worse at CPU heavy tasks than x86, and if I recall Dolphin on android does some concessions to run like it does right now.

They already did say that the codebase is too x86 oriented to port to android and they already have said plenty of times that they're dealing with legacy shit fucking up progress.

It boots 10 or so games, plays them at below fullspeed on a decent PC, plays them at around 10 fps on the best ARM hardware you can currently buy.

I can recall N64 being pretty damn well emulated for everything but the more obscure titles by 2005, development of emus like Mupen and Project 64 just slowed by a lot after devs got their favorite first party Nintendo games working and said "fuck you" to the rest

Last I checked N64 and PS2 emulation are pretty similar.
The one difference is that on top of that N64 has you juggle with 3 emulators. (Mupen, PJ64, Dolphin)

N64 still has a handful of big title with somewhat major issues
And that's the current state of it, back in 2005 it was way worse.

Been using emulators since 05. N64 is about the same. Get original hardware and rgb or hdmi mod it.

If you want to play Majora's Mask, I recommend the gamecube port on dolphin.

Can somebody help me out with anything about this one?
This is my first time emulating a ps2 game and the problem is that it runs just fine, but it looks like an abortion, if i try and run the game in anything other than native resolution it gets this small "window" at the top of the screen that wont go away, so that is out of the picture.
R7 240
8 gb ram
amd a4 6300 @ 3.70 ghz

More important than your specs, name the emulator you're even running.

It's supposed to run on a CRT TV.
Of course LCD 1080p is going to look like it.

always check the pcsx2wiki
wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Devil_May_Cry

That's the fate of all emulators.
They're not emulating a console (not even NES can be emulated exactly on current PCs), they're porting popular console games to PC.
Once these run, developers move on.

pcsx2 1.2.1

If you mean the HUD and subtitles being tucked in the upper left corner you can't really fix it, the best you can do is fuck around in the menu so they'll appear at the right place but the area around them will be at native res regardless of what you choose.

Update that shit.

They weren't kidding when they say Dolphin is one of the most stable Emulators around. Now, If only I could get PCSX2 to run just as good.

tfw when owning a real PS2 SuperSlim.

you should use iishiruka or kill yourself.

Supposedly the latest beta drivers fix AMD issues partially, you still get worse performance with the OGL plugin but it shouldn't be way more broken than Nvidia like before.

Mine has still warranty.

I bought mine six years ago and the damn thing keeps resetting itself, sometimes after five minutes sometimes after an hour, and at this point is completely unusable.

I recently bought a brand new PS2 slim and love it. But, I'm a sucker for convenience. It's just something really great about being able to switch between GBA/PS2/PSP/Wii/Gamecube games with them all in one place. Plus, buying physical copies can get expenisive as fuck. Decade old games still freakin' retail price? Fuck off with that shit.

First I've ever heard of that user.

Sure, but they are at least physical copies, not some worthless entry in a Steam library.
My GTA SA disc for the PS2 still has the original soundtrack, from my Steam copy it got removed.

There are devices that let you combine a digital copy and a blank disc and a drm crack to create a physical copy.

Well, it looks slightly better now, especially in motion, and that small window and shaking problem that i forgot to mention are fixed now.

I can tell you're using custom resolution instead of multiple of native res, avoid doing that as it can possibly fuck up some more things on top of everything and it won't look as good as using a multiple.

That's just a pirated copy then. :3

How did you make the small window disappear?

Press select, go into options and wait ten seconds.
It's that stupid but it works.

I dont understand, do you guys just echo chamber it up and not even try and setup/play these emulators yourself?
I have had no problems with n64 or the ps2 emulation. I enjoy them every week.

Oh well.

My mom won't let me buy a PS2

I'm pretty sure epsxe's own sound plugin works the best. There's also Pete's sound plugin

Okay?

Except I was playing it last week without problems.

Stop emulating on toasters user.

I see YouTube videos of it, looks fine?

Here's a WebM I just made.

Overclocked i7-2600k, OpenGL Software mode, Auto Interlacing, Edge Anti-aliasing (AA1) enabled, Rendering threads: 6, Mipmapping enabled, in-game setting to 16:9 mode.

Anybody else play Budokai 3 or Infinite world? I wish I could find someone to netplay with, CPU is getting boring. Either I find its logic loop or I get reked by inhuman input.

How is a "physical copy" different from a "worthless entry in a steam library"???

They're both 1' and 0's on a plastic disc that you stick in your computer.

Steam games are at risk of account bans, hacks, or Valve going out of business X number of years into the future.

Physical lasts as long as you care for it.

Here's one for Ace Combat 5. Same settings.

And some Ace Combat Zero to top it off.

what'd you change?

funny you say this because I just tried it this weekend and it is shit…
no sound, very few games run, controller support is flaky
not that I care much since I still have a CFW PSP and a Vita on 3.51

How is saturn emulation these days, i tried it a couple years ago and i couldn't get anything running well.

has it gotten better?

user, I think it is your toaster that is shit. PPSSPP really is one most well made emulators out there.

Nigger SSF is easy to run. Pirate Alcohol 120 and use it to mount discs

I saw there's a new Mednafen Sega Saturn core in RetroArch. How does it stack up against SSF?

What. Why? Isn't that wasting the GPU?

You'll get a variety of graphical glitches if you're not using software mode.

So yeah, if you don't have an i7 and are trying to run it via hardware, you're gonna have a bad time, and I guess I can't blame them for complaining about that.

So it actually works? I remember hearing it was shit a while ago

Mednafen Saturn is what you should be using.

SSF "works" but it's not really worth the trouble unless you can't run the game you wanna play in mednafen.

The Beta Build of mednafen runs saturn games better than ssf and it is still in beta! This actually tells a lot. The best part is, you do not need any longer a virtual drive!

This may be a dumb question, but will using software mode help me play PS2 games in PCSX2 that AMD cards have trouble with?
And does software mode do anything to the graphical fidelity? Does it look worse in any way?

How does software mode work? I doubt even an i7 can process a million pixels a frame

Software mode is 100% CPU reliant, it will force you to play at native resolutiopn but there's only a bunch games that I know of that will still have problems with it (RRV, R&C 2&3, Jak 2&3), it's way slower and requires a very powerful CPU (i5 25000k or something similar at least although it does benefits from more cores and hyperthreading), you can run it on AMD CPUs but many games won't get close to fullspeed, a handful of games won't run fullspeed on anything you can currently buy either (R&C2, Jak1)

For AMD cards just make sure it's a GCN one and that you have the latest beta drivers and the latest PCSX2 build, that might help with a few games.

The thing I kept hearing was AMD cards are generally performing worse or incompatible due to them having terrible OpenGL drivers. Is this still true, or was it never that simple?

at least a i5 quad 3Ghz for software mode, you can use AA and or FXAA to get rid of the pixelation but the image will remain a little blurry because of the native resloution.

Software mode will remove the ability to play at a multiple of the native resolution?

that's correct, it will only work in native resolution. You can use your other cores for a speed boost and set AA too.

It's true, but there's more to it than just that.

First AMD has bad support for some extensions of the OGL API post OGL2 (PCSX2 uses 4.5), that has been mostly resolved as AMD just added support for the main ones PCSX2 uses recently.

Now the other part is that some multithreaded optimization rely on an Nvidia binary blob (tl;dr only Nvidia will ever be able to do it), and now that the support part is fixed the PCSX2 devs have said they might just write their own MT optimization for AMD cards

here is what you can do, see the red underlines? check them play a little bit around with them. It will not make the image 100% better but a little bit.

Sounds like the PCSX2 devs have been lazy.
Especially considering how bad PCSX2 performs compared to PPSSPP and Ishiiruka. They should have went with a more low-level approach from the beginning.

So trying to get Squidward Sword working in Dolphin

I have a real Wiimote with motion plus synced but I have no fucking nunchuck. So I put the Wiimote in hybrid mode to emulate nunchuck but this feature is apparently broken on Skyward Sword and the Dolphin devs will never fix it because they say it requires hacks and they don't like using hacks
I hear there is a version of Dolphin that has emulated Wiimotion plus so you can just use a Gamepad to play SS but its a fork of an ancient as fuck version and it hasn't been updated in awhile.

The PCSX2 devs did go for a more low-level approach early on. This is actually kind of its problem. And is a reason why the code became such a fucking horrible mess, especially with its plugin paradigm. That no new devs wanted to pick up the project and now it can't be ported to other platforms and its difficult to optimize for newer architectures.

Lesson learned children; keep your emulation backend code clean, readable, and modular. And abstract platform specific code with your portable APIs

There was no low level approach outside of software rendering back when the project was started, PSP and NGC are also vastly simpler system to emulate.

PPSSPP appeared after 2010 and doesn't use any modern APIs (DX9 and OGL 2.0), the system is one of the simplest modern ones by far.

Dolphin was still under heavy work when the APIs they currently use appeared (DX11 OGL3.3), so it wasn't that hard to transition to those and the NGC/Wii doesn't need more to have mostly clean emulation because they have a clean architecture that doesn't many crazy things outside of Z-freeze.

PCSX2 started back when DX9 and OGL 2.0 neither of those can even do anything close to emulating the specifics of the PS2 so they did an SW plugin for the low level things, PS2 is complex enough that even more modern APIs don't give you enough tools to cleanly do what the PS2 does so you still have to resort to per-game hacks (like HLEing some effects by hand), Vulkan/DX12 might help but the task is immense.and will take several years.

Yeah pretty much the whole PCSX2 thing .

GSdx was written on outdated hardware (6600GT + P4 iirc) and that's the only reason the texture cache is such a piece of shit that doesn't allow for things like texture replacement and proper emulation of some specific implementation of mipmapping (R&C, Ace Combat etc), on top of that the thing was a blackbox (nearly no docs and no comments) until the guy currently making the OGL plugin stepped in

The new VU recompiler was written just because one of the devs wanted to play one jRPG, but he never bothered to test it thoroughly and he didn't really document shit so now nobody knows if it causes problems or how to fix them (thankfully it doesn't seem to cause many problems for now)

PSP is not vastly simpler. PPSSPP is just a more recent project that made use of leaked hardware documentation.

Interesting. Speaking of which, didn't Sony officially port Linux to the PS2? Since Linux uses the GPL, you'd think Sony would've provided some source code and documentation that could've probably helped the PCSX2 devs in some way

It has admittedly been many years since I looked at it, but I seem remember ps2 linux having some weird limitations and not having full hardware support/access.
Proprietary drivers are kosher anyway though.

It rings a faint bell. Was it bundled with the HDD add-on?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_2

I apparently came with a bunch of shit to turn your PS2 into a functional albeit weak (even for its time) PC

But it is, the CPU isn't even really a custom design and the GPU is way simpler than any other 6th gen console, it also doesn't really rely on very close sync as the system can switch speed on the fly all those things make it way simpler to emulate and even just looking at the emulator itself proves it since even DX9 with it's limitations can emulate more than 80% of the system without major problems.

There's also the fact that a PSP is just one CPU whereas a PS2 has the CPU and both the VUs in sync, that alone makes it way simpler to deal with.

PPSSPP also leveraged the 5 or so years of work put into JPCSP before it.

Looking up a bit, it seems the source code for PS2 Linux was never actually released

Can't say I'm surprised knowing Sony. I remember reading that the only reason Sony sold the PS2 Linux kit and created the OtherOS function for the PS3 (only to remove it later) was so they could sell PS2s and PS3s as computers or dev kits or some shit and bypass some weird European trade tariffs regarding computer hardware

I'm playing AC5 right now.
Other than a few frame dips during high-intensity fight like the Submarine and some odd texture bugs on some levels, it runs fine for me.

What the hell is Hpsx2? I haven't really bothered with PS2 emulation in a while, since my fat old bitch is still working just fine. When I did a google search, literally the only link to pop up was to some weird Holla Forums clone forum called HollaForums and your post, Mr. Jose Long.

So what is Hpsx2, and what the hell is HollaForum?

Yeah sorry about that I fucked up the name
sourceforge.net/projects/hpsx64/

Leekyforum 2.0

Hey shitbirds if there are so many 1337 hax0rs out there why doesn't someone just rip the PS2 sw emulator from 2nd gen PS3 and reverse engineer it?

Because the SW emulator in the PS3 is worse than PCSX2(psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List), is made by one of the main PCSX2 devs at the time (cottonvibes), isn't made to run on anything that isn't the Cell architecture and lastly would still be a total blackbox that would take so long to reverse engineer that it wouldn't be worth the time to do it.

Reverse enginnering isn't protected in all countries, notably the USA where you might be hosting your code even if you don't live there. REing a blob of code is non-trivial, moreso for complex or nightmarish systems like the PS3. Moralfagging too.

It's not weird to put 14 % duty on game consoles and other entertainment crap while putting 0 % on real multi-purpose computers.
Funnily enough Sony's tariff circumventing attempt failed completely, Playstations got taxed anyway. Poor Sony.

I have the EU launch model. I can't complete timesplitters FP because it freezes in the same place every time. (haunted house 1990s, when you drop down that hole, I think before the boss fight)

In other words, it's shit!

the moar you know

How long before we get a PS3 emulator?

never ever

If you mean at all then we already have one since about two years, and it can play a hanfdful of games at decent speeds (afterburner climax being the most notable one)

If you mean actually good one, who knows, maybe 5-10 years.

why are you in this thread then, retard?

Has anyone emulated a GBA on a original Nintendo DS with a R4i-RTS-3DS cartridge running the v1.83 kernel?
I have a DS model NTR-001 and R4i carriage. Is there a method to emulate the GBA and load the rom off the R4i without ordering some other type of cartridge?
Tried the gbaemu4DS by ichfly and get the guru meditation error red screen. Meaning the r4i card is a knock off and wont work with gbaemu4DS. Given this model of DS has the GBA slot on it I was hoping there would be a way to load the rom off the DS cartridge rather than the GBA.

It's the only way I'll get to play Ken's Rage on the PC. smh fam.

After how many years will I be able to run this game without this blur?