Just can't get into Devil May Cry

So i enjoy fast and hard games like shmups, bayonetta, and god hand, so I decided to try devil may cry and I'm not enjoying it. Now I love the edgy cutscenes and music, but the game play really rubs me the wrong way. I've gotten past the phantom spider fight and the controls just aren't clicking with me.
In bayonetta or god hand many attacks and moves only need one input, like dodges need one input, attacks need at most two inputs, a direction and a button.This makes me feel totally incontrol over my character as I can pull off any move to combat any situation any time. But in devil may cry rolling takes r1, triangle and a direction, so you can't do it as quickly, and also works poorly with shifting camera angles so I end up jumping like a retard or not being able to dodge in time. Additionally in those games you start with all the moves to break guards you just gain more powerful moves or weapons to add variety and options in combat. Then I tried easy and it just made the game boring, and removed the challenge and didn't fix rolling.
So are there any tips to have a better experience, or does 3 or 4 get the controls better?

3 basically gets everything in DMC better.

It was originally a RE game and it's rather old so the controls are simple. It's just that you suck and you are probably yiunger than 20.

The control scheme is refined later, but they kept the single attack button and let you rely on your own timing and ingenuity to come up with complex combos, it doesn't get dumbed down to alternating light attacks and heavy attacks until Bayonetta.

Cool, I wasn't sure if it was a big improvement or just a good follow up
What is the best version to get? I've heard iffy things about the pc version have they been fixed?

I heard it was originally resident evil 4 and at first I just thought of the puzzles and camera but now thinking about the controls it makes alot of sense
And you are right about me being younger than 20, and although I'm not great at games I'm a hell of a lot better than most people I know

That's cool, I like the idea of really long custom combos over pre set ones, that's one of the reasons I like god hand so much

Please go back to school kiddo

Sorry I didn't proofread, I'm just typing this shit quickly on my phone.

It's really not the grammar that concerns me

Pressing three buttons should not be a monumental task, all you've said just reads that you're incapable of adapting to anything outside your comfort zone. This isn't even a case of 'get good' you just sound outright like an autistic child.

This is true, in hindsight it is a bit of an autistic complaint, but it just over complicates something that shouldn't be all that complicated.

Treat DMC1 more like RE with better combat, it's a bit unusual at first but once you get used to it the controls are fine.

Yeah in a game like God Hand the controls are clunky but they were designed around the game so I acclimated to them quickly but it really shows that the controls are seperate from the game in Devil May Cry.

The controls are completely tailored to what you need to do in the game and are nothing like RE's controls, what are you talking about?

I prefer 3 and 4 personally so you may enjoy those better.

it removes the tank controls, but if you take a closer look in terms of the aim button and the rest of the button placement it starts to make sense

It really doesn't, since Resident Evil doesn't have jumping or dodge rolling, or a dedicated melee button, or a weapon switching button. Even the button layout is nothing like RE4.

Hey OP I dared to criticize this game a few months ago and I discovered that DMC fans are butthurt faggots when you don't like their game as much as them. Better to just move on to other games. I tried skipping to DMC3 and it plays pretty similarly to the first.

>I got called a retard months ago and am still upset about it
Thank you for sharing

I'm pirating it right now, if I don't like DMC 3 I'm just gonna move on. I really want to like these games, it's just not clicking for me so far.

From what I hear you'll have to jump through tons of hoops to get the PC version of DMC3 working, but in the off chance you've bought it at least there is a user community to fix it.

I'm just gonna emulate the ps2 version, seems like a lot less hassle

www.nexusmods.com/devilmaycry3/mods/1/
That's all you need. Emulating PS2 version is going to be more of a pain in the ass.

Buncha niggaz tryina talk shit… Sayin dat Xbox got dat, dat game "Devil May Cry Fo' ".
Chad Warden don't give a fuck, aight? Let dat nigga cry!

Aight. Dat if nigga gon be crying all the time, let dat bitch go to the Xbox 360! Nigga, let dat shit go to the Wii, aight? They used to cryin!
Aight. If yall get - If yall niggaz want a game for dat Triple, we got like "Devil May Run Up on a Nigga"!
Aight… Fuck dat shit, aight?

The series is pretty fucking mediocre unless you're willing to put in an unrealistic amount of time learning the counterintuitive controls.

Basically, if you didn't play the games when they were the only thing you had for your PS2, they're not going to be "as good."

Yeah, I saw combo videos and thought it looked fucking cuhrayzee. But it turns out, just the controls were cuhrayzee. I do like what I've played of DMC 3 though.

It wasn't all that hard, there was just one setting I had to tweak in pcsx2

And that's why you don't do that, hard to enjoy a game when you have unrealistic expectations, because it would seem pretty obvious to me that someone playing well enough to impress someone has at the very least a couple hundred hours sunked into the game.
Just accept that you're gonna not be awesome on your first play through even if you played thousands of hour of Bayo (because spoiler they're not the same game).I should know I can pure plat bayo in a reasonable amount of time but I still can't play well in DMC unless I go full scumbag

Any controls nitpicking is more about "I'm good at this style of games so it must be the controls" than anything else.

I think you are spot on, now I didn't expect to be pulling off huge combos from day one, but I did expect more from the game and was really just a mix of nitpicky and disappointed

Everyone complains about DMC's combat difficulty.

The part I got stuck on was the puzzles and figuring out where to go next…

Well it's ok, DMC itself isn't bad but it's rough, you can see it by just how easily you can break the game with some simple tricks (even shotgun twitching which might be the easiest one already already trivialize some things).
It's also hard to come back to it after you've played a game with a better implementation of that style of gameplay, especially if you've mastered it to some degree.
Lastly DMC was always more involved than other games of the genre (except NG), not only do you have to really use what's at your disposal to play good but you need a very high level of mastery over the game to look good while doing so, whereas say bayo you can play decently and totally ignore most of the tools the game gives you and still not look like you're total shit (unless whoever is watching knows the game indepth).

It's very simple
Git gud faggot

Devil May Cry 4 is the best DMC in the series.

you don't absolutely have to try and be into something Holla Forums pretends to love and circlejerks over for some weird street-cred

I love the series, but I'll be fucked to try my hardest to enjoy games I'm just straight up not enjoying

I felt the same. 1 was shit. 3 and 4 are the good stuff.

Perhaps, but there is a bit too much of just reusing locations and such.

top fucking pleb

1 is a bastard but you need to get good.
God help you on fucking Ninja Gaiden
Fuck Nightmare though

If you're running W8 or W10, maybe. I got it working just dandy on Windows 7 SP1.

Biggest hurdle is that Xinput doesn't work as intended with it, so the push-down triggers/L2-R2 don't work and Style Switcher Mod's claim of proper Xinput support for PC DMC3 turned out to be bupkis. Eventually I gave up and remapped buttons around to the analog stick buttons and put maps and some flavor-text menu or something on L2/R2 to make space.

Absolutely has the best combat in the series but it's a fucking shame the game's half-finished and Special Edition did nothing to address that.

Vergil's fun but Nero and Dante not having any new weapons isn't.

I'm still holding out hope for TGS though, even if it's irrational hope.

I have noticed that the younger the player is, the less likely they are to enjoy these types of games. Its a strange observation.

t. someone who works with used vidya

You seriously think I'm pretending to like DMC 3 and 4?

So what other patterns have you noticed, out of curiosity. Perhaps your insight can help in instilling good taste into people.

I played DMC3 first a long time ago and loved it but I cant get used to 1 no matter what