The Witcher thread

Consolefag here for what that matters, I played The Witcher 2 on 360 a while back. Wasn't my kind of game AT ALL, I couldn't even get through all the flashbacks or whatever, I was so bored.

The Witcher 3 is on sale cheap. Is it any less tedious? Would I just be setting myself up for disappointment again?

Video semi-related. I will confess that if it weren't for winning Game of the Year, even though it was in a dry year, I wouldn't be interested in this at all. I really need to use my PS4 for something okay, I platinum'd Bloodborne long ago

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/name/nm0820692/?ref_=tt_ov_wr
nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1899/?tab=3&selected_game=952&navtag=http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/ajax/modimages/?id=1899&user=1&gid=952&pUp=1
youtube.com/watch?v=QIeEZeKN8JE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I didn't like The Witcher 2, at all. I thought the lore was boring, the combat was repetitive and the story wasn't very good.

The witcher 3 basically is the same, combat is still absolute trash and lore is basically the same. However the game is filled with so much shit I wouldn't be surprised if you enjoyed it despite not liking anything else.
There's a lot of attention to detail and content, some of the side quests are even better than the main one.

I'd suggest torrenting before buying, but that's just me.

Consolefag so I can't torrent. I only mentioned it because I'm not sure how serious mustards are when they claim consoles killed The Witcher.

Thanks though. Guys, feel free to make this a Witcher thread and spoiler it up.

There's your problem. Seriously, I'm not a huge fan of the vanilla combat/leveling system in any of them but mods help. And if you're like me you were probably completely lost at first when it comes to the story, I even played the first one and I still had no idea who was who and what was going on half the time on my first playthrough. It helps if you read the novels it's based on or even just do some reading on the Witcher universe in general beforehand.

I am enjoying it, bought it some time ago but only began around July. There is a shitton of content, i havent finished the main questline after 70 hours of play because i get sidetracked by optional quests (i also dont use fast travel and play on highest difficulty to prolong the game you can measly do the main quest alot faster)

Some of your choices matter, there is a questline involving some witches where you at a point split the main quest to end very differently, which is nice but it doesnt happen that often. Other than that, many of the side quests feels unique yet the same, alot of cutscenes that are different but you mainly do the same; talk to questgiver, search an area, find the monster. Main quest is very varied though.

I would recommend it, but dont play on a low difficulty. The start may be a bit harsh but if you play on low diff you are gonna get bored past the first area combat wise.

fuck off half chan

It's another case of an entry in a PC series that should have been a lot better but Microsoft or Sony dropped a pallet of money at CDPR's door to make it a console game so they had to cut a bunch of shit to fit hardware and time limitations. The game itself is a lot of fun but if you hated The Witcher 2 I'm not sure why you're looking at 3.

CIRI A CUTE

SHE'S MY WAIFU

Then you probably won't like 3 either

Stop being a normalfag who only buys hype games

You fucked up by buying PS4. Witcher 3 will be cinematic 20fps now.

By about half as much, yes. Its been on big sales about half a dozen times already on PC.

My advice is play Witcher 1. Still my favourite although since you only play hype games and overall seem like a huge casual faggot, you'll probably not like it.

Serious enough. If Witcher 3 wasn't on consoles it probably would have been a lot better. CDPR drank the console coolaid claiming they couldn't even make it if it wasn't for consoles profits, despite having made 2 decent games (significant profits with zero DRM no less) already having more money than ever and a marketing budget larger than the development budget. If they didn't try to market it to console normalfags like yourself it and instead put all that money into development of their core fans, I suspect they would've made something fucking legendary that could've been praised and cult followed for decades to come instead of for about 3 years.

Best atmosphere. Choices have the biggest impact on story out of the series. Actually have to read books and learn how to be a witcher. Combat still better than Bethesda shit. Complex but tactically rewarding potion system. Best inventory. Sex 'scenes' are crap. Requires patience. Play slowly.

Pacing is more TV-show-ish. Best sex scenes. Some cool twists. Choices don't matter too much. Needs balancing mods for combat. Outside of large-scale areas and faces, the graphics are better than 3 (PC focus). Shitty QTEs. With balance mods, play steadily.

Witcher 3

Pacing is variable. Sex scenes just ok. Story is grand but lead-ups are more interesting than the finish. Side quests amazing. Best use of this style of open world in video games yet. Large-scale graphics are impressive. Performance fucking terrible (need strong GPU, RIP console players). Choices for side quests matter more than main quest. Shitty inventory that they've made less shit but still not as good as 1. Mix/Max leveling that's exploitable. Combat is a fucking dance rather than a fight. >QUEN, DODGE/HIT, HIT/DODGE, REPEAT - recast QUEN for margin of error. Potions don't matter. Learning monsters doesn't matter for most things that aren't behind some arbitrary lock. Just learn the dodge patterns and you're done.

Witcher movie is coming get ready for black transgender geralt

Also to get the thread off right
Triss is a shit who let you take the fall for murdering a king and took advantage of your amnesia to sex you
Yen is a shit for abandoning your forgetful ass and working for the guy who wants to rape babies into your adopted daughter

Radovid did nothing wrong, given that this was the second attempt that mages attempted to overthrow the northern kingdoms
Kill all Elves

Best ending is running off and witchering with Ciri

That`s some pristine taste there fag, please tell us more

not in the games

she's pure

Sorry user but pure girls don't apply that much make up when running away from dimension-traveling hunters.

Good shitpost and list of bad things presented as good things, I'll remember to listen to the opposite of everything you post

fug, she's cute

You have made me ashamed, child

You mean RPG things presented as good things. Git gud. But we know you won't. Have fun with whatever bullshit that gets GOTY next on your Ghostbuster's Station.

I heard the English translations sucks.

get better taste you potato fiend.

Okay kiddo

Thanks user, damn straight I won't. I'd rather be Anthony Burch than be a skillshill like you

I played the first when the enhanced edition came out.played the second and it took very long for me to beat because it was so easy even on hard mode. Just not worth the time, and the story sucked too.

The witcher 3 apparently makes many of the same amateurish mistakes in combat with inconsistent animations. Ita insulting to say demons souls was inspiration for it.

Post your Geralts!

So do women in real life, with make up or without… she's cute as fuck.

why would you torture yourself with the retarded rambling of some washed up drunken loser

The real question, in that vain of logic, should be: Why would you torture yourself playing the game, then?
also 99% of pretty much all fantasy novel are written and all games are made by washed up drunken losers; the other 1% are written/made by dykes

It's shit but console fags have no games so they slog through this shit so they can feel more "nerdy" than those Skyrim players. It's boring as fuck and they really only care about the Le Game of Thrones style with sex Xddd.

Game is cancer.

the games are fun and 1 and 2 had better writing than the shitty books

Look at the bitch writing the screenplay imdb.com/name/nm0820692/?ref_=tt_ov_wr and the episodes she wrote for those shows were generally some of the worst.

It's going to be incredibly if this means anything about direction of the movie, which is really a shame because while a lot of criticism can be done about the later books, Sapkowski's shorts stories were really great and did not outstay their welcome. Guess we're gonna have to stick to that shitty polish tv show with womyn witchers and shit.

Don't bother, witcher 3 is shit. Gameplay is boring, can loot houses without consequence, companions for quests often can't die, as the outcome is determined and unfailable permanently. Just play new Vegas.

W3 had the best OST last year.

I thought the TV show was okay, they did the best they could with clearly very limited budget and the actors seemed to put in pretty good performances. Aside from some horrendous CG in a few places and some of the dumber shit like the katanas I had no complaints about it.

you could loot houses in w1 and 2 without consequence as well, witcher games are RPGs about geralt not about your special snowflake character

Sister order of female witchers.

I wanted to like her, but I have a violent reaction towards British accents.

Comfiest music in best soundtrack of the year.

I for one think the W3 is absolutely great, but I'll be the first to admit that the combat system is the weakest part. The balance and progression even on the hardest difficulty is just plain fucked up, so I wouldn't play it just for that, but everything else is so phenomenal that it's easy to let it slide. That said, don't buy it for a console.

An example of how they didn't really know what they were doing is resistances. If you wear Mastercrafted Ursine armor, that'll get you 70% damage resistance against monsters. Simply add the trait from alchemy that gives you 25% damage resistance against monsters corresponding to the oil you have applied and all monster content is completely trivialised by the 95% resistance. In Blood and Wine it gets even worse, with Grandmastercrafted Ursine armor, making that number go up to 99%.
Another thing that's really awkward is the way Igni works, or rather, how burning from Igni works. With a good amount of sign intensity and the increased burn chance from the magic traits, Igni will always set enemies ablaze. The initial damage of igni will always be pretty lacklustre, but the burning takes away a percentage of the monsters life per tick, and that percentage is increased by sign intensity. To top that off, almost all monsters will be stunned while burning. This means that you can happily igni your way through a lot of content without any challenge whatsoever. The catch is that some monsters are immune to the burning effect, which means that if you're specced into igni you'll be horribly overpowered against most foes, but horribly underpowered against the rest.

That would explain why Dancing Stars do so well against big monsters, especially with the Heavy Artillery skill.

If you play Witcher 3, go full bombs. This is the only way to have fun with the combat system.

I loved the game, but man the wild hunt was a disappointment. Especially Eredin. He had like 10 lines in the whole game and the fight was easy. Imlerith was the only remotely hard fight in the base game.

You already beat Eredin's ass in the first game. So it's no surprise you hand it back to him this time around.

The expansions made up for it though.

That looks really fun. Only problem is I don't like using consumables because I hate scavenging for ingredients. Actually, a big part of my enjoyment of any game is inversely proportional to how much junk there is to loot, because my autism makes me have to pick everything up, even in the middle of battles and stuff. That's why I look for auto-loot mods whenever I can.

The whole muh graphics fiasco aside, 3 was the best game.

However, the wild hunt was supposed to be a band of world raiders mounted on deadly unicorns but they are beaten by a bunch of people geralt recruit, then they send their real, entire might, the motherfucking ragnarok and one legion of niilfgardians with some vikings defeat them. They try to make it look like it was a huge effort and they almost didnt make it, but still really underwhelming

People saying the books are shit either dont read or they're just not interested on the franchise. They dont have to be for everyone, but I had little to none interest on them when I started, I downloaded them out of boredom without knowing what I was getting into, and got completely hooked

On characterization, 1 did it ok and 3 nailed it, 2 was some sort of edgy geralt on a game of thrones setting

Say what you want about 1 combat, but it was fun. If you're gonna be smashing left click the entire game, at least make it entertaining. I think 2 did it better however, specially because of the regen: you are supposed to regenerate health fast as a witcher, yet on 3 you have to eat a feast to reagin health

He's around level 25 and killing level 5 monsters.

In Witcher 3, all of your consumables automatically replenish themselves when you meditate as long as you have alcohol. The drawback compared to previous games is that your potions don't last as long and you have a low max capacity.

If you paid some attention then you would know that they did not send their entire might because their silly teleportation magic does not support that. That's why they want to capture Ciri because she with her space magic would allow them to actually send their "entire might".

Just play Hearts of Stone and Blood&Wine
they were the only parts of Witcher 3 worth anything

Seriously HoS was one of the best fucking stories i've enjoyed in vidya for years and BW is pretty good, better than the main game

If you havent actually played the base game then its worth maybe one playthrough though. Atleast the combat is slightly better than the second game.

Witcher > Witcher 3 >>> Witcher 2

Witcher 3 (and its expansions) is the only great game that came out past 5 years.

Witcher has always worked better as short stand alone stories, whenever they attempt to do "grand and epic" like with 3 it falls apart

That craft once-booze refill system was probably my favorite implementation of consumables/collectables/crafting in this sort of game.
First time that I haven't felt stuck in packrat hoarder mode and actually liked using items in fights.

I really like Witcher 1 and 3, I had a hard time getting into 2 as well. IMO it's a lot more linear and plot focused, with exploration taking a back seat. I ended up watching the cutscenes on YouTube to get caught up on the story.

well they had to wrap it up somehow. Better to give it a mediocre sendoff instead of churning out endless sequels

I'm consolefag too, and I'm not going to buy it on PS4. Enjoy your 15fps.

It might run well on Neo and Scorpio, but not on the current ones.

I've saved up for a new battlestation, but I'm holding off buying until we have 120hz 4K monitors and the video cards to drive them without dipping below 60fps.

You should stop abusing yourself. I've been with the PS4 since its release since I have a toaster for a PC and my eyes can't take it anymore. I get a headache from the shit framerate. I'm going to climb the caste system and so should you. Have some dignity.

Consoles are also now confirmed for iterations. Neo and Scorpio are the beginnings of a new trend. Without the 7-8 year lifetime, consoles are have nothing to offer anymore.

To me, the PS4 is dualshockstation. I'll give Sony one thing, and that is their knack for making comfy controllers.

Have fun waiting for at least another 2 years.

The Witcher 3 ranges from utter shit to plainly mediocre in everything but production values. To name a few things the controls, combat, plot, and player agency are utter fucking trash.

To give you an idea of whether or not you'd like it: If you like Telltale games, you'll like The Witcher 3.

No problem. I'm done with peasantry.

I'd rather wait than drop money on the 1080 which will be made obsolete real fast as we are in the beginning of the Pascal era. A couple of years will lower the prices as the tech becomes cheaper to produce.

I'll shitpost on imageboards in the meantime.

xbox controleers mould to the hand better. I only use that shit for the occasional PC game that works better with controllers

Go fucking kill yourself

I remember thinking the bitches on Witcher 1 were hot, i even got wood with those fucking vampire prostitutes.
Then when i went to replay it they were all fucking ugly because the graphics had aged like shit.

Get the fuck off this website you summer cuck. This place is rapidly turning in to cuckchan 2.0

nah they didn't age like shit, they were shit to begin with. you just didn't know any better and ignorance is bliss

its weird how we vidia nerds have this warped notion of quality when reality is staring us in the face all the time

The only thing I give the Witcher 3 wholeheartedly, is that it looked (even with downgrade) like a AAA game should look. The facial animations alone left me shaking my head, because your Ass Creeds, CoDs and whatever the fuck else is on the market look like amateur shit in comparison. It helped that I liked the lore of the games and enjoyed the books, but that's about it. It's by no means a masterpiece.

I stress this every time The Witcher 3 comes up, I can leave or take the entire main game, but HoS was fucking grand. Some A+ writing for a videogame.

I love "rpgs"
I love "fp" games.
I love "grinding"
I love fantasy, magic, swords.

I hate Witcher 1,2,3 – IDK why.

Consider this for why I don't plan on making another PC soon:
Thank you for your tiime

You're the only jock target here.

This is a bad idea. 4K is a meme (and 5K is the better standard because of scaling if we're getting to those levels anyway). Go halfway. There's 1440p high-Hz monitors out there if you're really afraid of 1080p. (I'm 1080p 120Hz myself).

Tons of games can't get to 60-120fps no matter what the fuck you do. The bottleneck is software side for modern titles. Shit optimisation. Things bound to framerate. It's not a thing worth waiting for. The consoles barely managed 1080p niggah and remember 90% of games are based on those as a standard. Think about that for a moment.

One cumshot. Two pairs of tits.

Where do you aim?

One long squirt over both of them, of course.

Yeah, we're professionals here.

Yen is cute. CUTE!

Which waifu would you pick guys?

shiggy

Triss. Yen looks like a kike.

But she's cute. CUTE!

did nothing wrong

Witcher 1 is the best in the series, every fucking chapter is so good, even Darkwater. I love every second of it and replay it every year, it is a great RPG.
Witcher 2 is a great game, but the changes to potion system were unnecessary. The game has entire locations you can't even see depending on your choices, and the sword/magic/alchemy leveling system makes for more replayability. The combat is lame and qte's are annoying as shit.
Witcher 3 is better than 2, but it is open world with all included. Leveled loot, a fuckton of random shit on the map, rusty sword you find on a bandit being better than the sword you got from battling the fucking devil just because it's ten levels higher. The alchemy system got completely fucked. I also don't like the leveling system as much. However, the gameplay is fucking great, the sidequests are interesting as shit and the DLC is even better. I put over 200 hours into it and played it multiple times and I'll do it again.

Basically, jut play them in chronological order, they are great games.

Her nose doesn't look kikey at all.

Anyways, I WANT TO MARRY CIRI

Dijkstra tried to murder the best patriot, and if that wasn't enough he even tried to get my nigga Thaler. That son of a bitch helped me in the first game and gave great advice in the second, he is Temeria's ducking finest and if I didn't let DeVett kill him I sure won't let a fat fuck do it.

My friend quit Witcher 1 in the tutorial and Witcher 2 about halfway through the game, but he has played Witcher 3 through couple times and says its the best fantasy game he has ever played.

I actually liked Djikstra until he totally tried to fuck thaler, roche and ves. Then I took his fat ass to the butchers

LONG LIVE TEMERIA

side note: haven't played the game in a while.. bought one of the dlcs a while back but not got around to playing it.. I'm 200 hours in and still feels like I'm not even near finishing it O.o

You might be doing something wrong then. The game is about a hundred hours long if you do everything and visit every questionmark. It takes me 115 hours to finish it completely with all dlc.

Ah shit!! Sorry for the third post in a row but fucking *this.*

This incapsulates a couple of my complaints with the third game.. Just feels like it disavows a few things from the previous games (especially 1)

I was hoping to see a bit more of a presence of the Scoia'tel in the 3rd game. Was hoping bit more of the characters from TW1 to return. No Yaevinn and Iorveth at the battle for Kaer Mohren.

Yeah, I expected Siegfreid to be in the game or in one of DLC. While some Siegfreid is mentioned it's probably not the same one.
What really saddens me is that Berengar is not in 2 and 3 even if you save him.

I enjoyed it.

Liked other anons have said combat is nothing special.

The world is fantastic though. I am one of those guys that likes lore heavy games. This kind of stuff is my cup of tea.

I actually killed him in my playthrough too, because Roche was my bro and Thaler was awesome, and letting them die would be very out of character for Geralt. But Dijkstra is still the best option for the north, and sacrificing 3 people to make it great again is worth it.

Well in my playthrough, Ciri becomes Empress so that chances of Temeria and Redania being vessel states are unlikely.

I'd imagine she'd be a leader like Cerys, so to speak. She will bring an end to a war, no more pograms and endless wars.

Yennefer, hands down. She's a bitch but oh well. I know how Geralt feels about her. It's when you know a person is flawed, but you still love her and can't help it.

alright you can all fuck right off back to /r/gaming

There is plenty of vidya games with worse gameplay than TW3 and Holla Forums loves them.

Graphics are good, lots of cool choices, lots of activities, lot of content, good story, good characters and good waifus.

Since were still talking about it right now, it must be a good game.

You know why he can't help right? And that the reason goes away?

Vampire the Masquerade just to cite one.

And Morrowind.

Eh I m on the fence here, if someone actually like abstract rpg mechanics despite the fps aspect throwing you off there is nothing wrong with it, Vampire was just all around mediocre gameplay wise.

Yen because I`m a bookfag and Triss deserves to die for lore reasons.

I WANT TO MARRY CIRI

Shani, haha.

Anyone know how to fix the problem with ladders, spent a good few hours trying to recover my 200 hour save since suddenly I can't go up ladders in HoS.

some one made a Negress Yen mod…

Oh fuck my dick

Fuckin saved.

and it's sexy as fuck, post the fucking nudes.

Why do niggers have such bloodshot eyes?

pepper spray or mace, take you pick

Don't have any nudes but you are free to download the mod and make them yourself

nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1899/?tab=3&selected_game=952&navtag=http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/ajax/modimages/?id=1899&user=1&gid=952&pUp=1

It sucks youtube.com/watch?v=QIeEZeKN8JE

Is there any mod or even fan art that lets you be with Ciri? All the other choices save Triss suck.

No, she doesn't have the nose and is actually attractive

I just realized that Witcher 3 is on sale on Steam for $22.50, is it worth it for that price? I've heard nothing but bad things about the game and I can't trust Steam Reviews.

It's worth about $25 IMO. I'd say get it, return it if you don't like it. Speed run the fuck out of the fist area (White Orchard) so you can get to the real game before the 2 hour refund limit.

If you enjoy it, be sure to at least pick up Hearts of Stone.

Also
>Trusting Holla Forums's circle jerk of opinions on games

Just pirate it

How long is it? For a $25 game I'd expect to be able to get at least 50 hours or more out of it.

I can pick it up later since the DLC isn't on sale, it's $25 now or $25 later so I have time on that.

I know it's just smug anime pictures and shit, but it's a lot easier getting an honest yes/no than other websites.

Can't pirate where I live, it's too risky to be comfortable so I have to scrutinize my game purchases instead.

The main story is like 60 hours with another 70-80 at least if you have the auptism to do all the sidequests and shit. My playthough was 112 hours with copious treasure hunting/sidequests.

you'll easily get 50 hours out even if you go at a pretty quick pace

Any news on a GOY or enhanced editions? I usually wait for the company to fully release the game and patch it before I buy.

It's fully complete (Both expansions and all the free DLC patches), but I haven't heard anything of a GOTY edition.

I hate this industry, hope CDPR gets fucked hard by their shareholder overlords

Top wew

It's better than drink blizzard, wolven and swallow then click when the sword lights up to win -every- battle guaranteed.

explain.

at least this one got some porn made, Priscilla and the dancer have very little.

I bet it's gonna be muh rape.

Yen is a open marriage cucker. Triss is manipulative but all cunts are. Truth be told bitches out if I had a choice.

for the love of god, dont try to actualy use a 4k monitor for gaming. in 5 years maybe, but right now its an insane waste of money for little gain, if you can even get games to run on 60frames without spending 3000 bucks on graphiccards alone.

99% of all people dislike shitty combat like w1 had

shut the fuck up, poorfaggot

what sounds more reasonable?

sorry for not validating your poor choice retard.
youre the kind of guy who wants to get into pc gaming, goes completely overboard, wastes a shitton of money, spends 3 months sending his prebuild pc in again and again because something doesnt work correctly, then after 3 more months sells all but one of his graphics cards because he realises how shitty sli realy is. never change.

are you retarded? like actually a water-head?

also, nilfguard are jews, not even fucking subtle with those noses.
infact it might be what they use to rank themselves if you look at the black emperor.

Its really good, also its simplified for consoles and the attention to detail is what makes the game. The combat is easy so its not has heavy as The Witcher 2 with traps and all that stuff and 3 is more forgiving.

Also, I would recommend Fallout4 its an amazing game and it just works. Its as good if not better than Fallout3, I remember trying to get all the 200 ending in Fallout 3. If not play the Bethesda RPG game that was made first for next gen that was Skyrim, it feels like a new game all over again and those pesky mods on old Skyrim looks like shit compared to HD remaster edition.

What mods should I get for Witcher 3?