Saturday Night Horror Thread

Because we didn't have one last week

Other urls found in this thread:

neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488899
techraptor.net/content/allison-road-p-t-spiritual-successor-revived
youtube.com/watch?v=iAcAd1fUiy8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Oh, and I guess this is mandatory by now.

wasn't one of the expansions for the first game a lot more spooky than the base game?

I like Spookys Jumpscare Mansion.

I think Extraction Point had quite a bit of spooky parts. I don't think they were as good as the ones in the original, but there were certainly more of them.

Right now I'm playing ZombiU. I'm only an hour in so of course I can't comment much on it, but everything seems good so far. I like that they just wanted to make a horror game where enemies feel weighty and can over power you quickly. I could really do without the Wii U gamepad implementation in some ways, using it just to use a machine gun or break down a door by tapping it just feels gimmicky and could easily be replaced with an animation ala Condemned.

Extraction Point was okay, but rather repetitive in many areas. I.e. that one part where you had to fight the super mech….only to immediately fight another super mech of the same model afterwards.

He has covered wars, you know?

Will we ever see this level of creativity in a game again?
Everything about the game was so unique, the weapons, the bosses, the map, the music, the structure, everything.

Did any of you play White Day: A Labyrinth Named School ?
The remake is coming to Steam this year, I tried to play the old version but it was broken, was it good ?

Yes and no. They really only have a chance to thrive in the indie scene. They'll never see the same popularity that they did in the past, but I have hope for more indie devs to make some good ol' spooky point n' clicks, especially after Fran Bow.

It was pretty spooky. Nailed the atmosphere really well.

A real horror game would be one where a hardcore tumblrite successfully creates a game that deeply impacts our culture and leads to the legalization of extra genders.

Now that's more horrifying than any dark oogly woogle ghost creature.

Are there more than 2 genders?

No.

I'm just going on a limb here because I'm genuinly wondering.
Are you the same guy who just save a picture or webm from a thread and then post it immediately in another thread ? Or is just a coincidence ?

since she calls it a "trick' and gives you something useful, this comes off as more of a strange cute

When that happens the (((Government))) just steps in and murder all the SJWs. Since they're just a tool for creating a totalitarian slave state.

Evidently, he has.

Probably not, unless the folks at /agdg/ make something happen.

Atleast you're not a faggot like me;

I enjoy FNAF for the art direction and the baby's first "lore".
I still recognize it as a bad horror game series and have not purchased a single game in the series.

I sure hope somebody doesn't come into this thread just to tell you that it's "not so bad", and go on about how such a good Christian the developer is.

Anyone know any good horror games with brown metal/brown mechanical stuff like Ded Space Uno?
I think the brown metal and alternating sky blue/neon green technology was a major factor in how scary the game was, because it was mishmashed and ugly. The other took look like Blue LEDs everywhere, and those make you too vigilant

How about that Agony game?

Has a nice grotesque look to it, but at times in the trailer I'm almost certain they're ripping off The Void and just trying to make it edgier.

Alien: Isolation for the few hours it's good

Damn, you guys know any other monsters with long limbs like that?

I played Dead Space 1. I liked it. Weapons were a bit boring, though. Seemed like there was little reason to upgrade anything other than Plasma Cutter. Is Dead Space 2 worth a download?

Nothing anyone says can get me to spend money one the series.

I did pay for The Desolate Hope before Scott made it free because it was a legitimately good game.

Shame he became such a huge Jew, for a Christian.

Decent anime

I still think all of you should play Franbow

Isn't that the remake of that one Korean High School Horror Game?

It's White Day, you can find it easily

Easy infinite autism bucks changes a man.

Except when "I didn't do it" ceases to sell, and you have to think up something, before the money drains away, again.

DS2 I remember liking quite a lot, though its better more as an atmospheric action game compared to the original. Except for the final boss in 2, that was too easy. But at least it had a better ending from what I heard 3's was.

You shouldn't though, you remember hearing about that Sega CD game called Night Trap that basically created the ESRB? That's as much of a game as Five Nights at Freddys is.

Does SH3 really look like that? For a game from the PS2 era it looks nice, more better looking than FEAR 1.

I can see him milking it until the cow dies and then saying fuck it I'm retired.

Can you emulate Sega CD stuff? I always wanted to try that game

PS2 Silent Hill games are freaks of nature, they look better than most PS3 games

I'm sure you can, but for one reason or another even with the emulation scene nobody really talks about 32x or CD games.

That can easily pass as an early PS3 title. Actually, does anyone have comparison screenshots between Downpour/Homecoming/Shattered Memories compared to something like SH2 or 3 on PC?

Also, I take back what I said about the decreasing quality of the FEAR games. Perseus Mandate doesn't exactly re-invent the wheel, but fuck me if that one underground village didn't make me shit enough bricks for a small house.

This is the PS2 version versus Downpour (the most recent one) on PS3

Have you really never played Silent Hill 3? You are missing out

DS2 is the best action movie I've ever played.
It's resi4 in space even more so. The cutscenes are whatever

It's embarrassing, but no. I've only played SH1, SM, and I've made it to the hospital in SH2. But besides that even though I have a copy of SH3 on PS2 I still never played it.

As for the comparison that really does show how amazing SH3 looks in terms of visuals when it can still be in the same ball park as a PS3 release

It's already dead.

PM was hot garbage most of the time. The abandoned metro was good. EP expansion was more of the same, but I over all appreciate it more than PM

I fucking wish.

A total disaster, I tell you. Never put all your eggs in one basket.

Meh I played it, was pretty good up to the mid-part of the game. After the fantasy world section everything felt more and more rushed, felt like they were just yearning so fucking hard to end it all and just get it done. The ending just confirmed that they clearly didn't give a shit at the end, literally "oh fran it's all okay! we live happily ever after"

Should I feel bad that I enjoyed Downpour?
I mean, after playing Homecoming and SM I feel that it wasn't an insult to the saga.

Downpour had the shittiest enemies I have ever seen in Silent Hill.

The Tom Hullett Mystery Hour was absolutely an insult to the saga

I can't say because I've only played SM and haven't played DP or HC yet, but looking at Homecoming it looks like more of an attempt to make a western version of Siren Blood Curse than Silent Hill.

What horror games have the best, most atmospheric haunted mansions?

What horror games have the best, most atmospheric haunted mansions?

Luigis Mansion

But, user,the spookiest things of all happened to this once great franchise!

Call of Duty and Corporate America

I'm inclined to say Scratches.

Bear in mind that this girl is the protag's best friend from school, and currently is possessed by a young ghost kid that happily kills her if you aren't nice to it.

And the ghost kid's older sister chased you via another possessed friend from your school, whose neck she breaks right in front of your face after he fails to kill you.

It's a terribly nice family.

Well, at least the monsters don't try to ra….oh.

In other news

If you were the director of a mid-sized gaming development company, and your publisher wants you to build a scary game around one or more witches despite of the fact that Disney and Wicca Whores and Cambodian locomotive fresco shows have ripped everything scary apart from that thematic, what would you do?

Hard Mode: No Blair Witch

Realms of the Haunting made it for me.

Because like a lot of games (or movies), the guys responsible for the cool bits were replaced as the turn over is super high, and the leads had literally no idea what made their game good (as lead are promoted to stop making stuff because they're actually not that good at making stuff. It's the Dilbert principle).

Vampire the Mascarade: Bloodlines.

Cryostasis was enjoyable, wish they would have made a sequel and maybe fleshed out some aspects. Cold is also an often misdone aspect like in DeadSpace 3.

Also, why the fuck are there no horror games that basically take Truck simulator but put you in a smaller vehicle with larger things on the road to be afraid of?

is there a story behind this

I guess that's some sort of prank or something.

I've wanted do this kind of prank for a while now, there are forest and fields roads where I live and a lot of cars go by there. I'd love to go there disguised as some king of ghost, wear really long stilt and just wander on the side of the road to scare the living shit out of people

I was hoping someone wrote something spooky

IIRC an user in one of the previous Saturday Night Horror threads said it came from some old car commercial, but don't quote me on it.

Dunwich.
Basically the album witchcult today by electric wizard as a guide to the aesthetic of it.

Soma, not much a game as it is an interactive story but it's still pretty fucking good, few games make me question my morality on certain issues.

Easy, Resident Evil any other answer is just plain wrong.

Except zombies and giant snakes don't really count as "haunted".

Yeah well ur gay.

NO U!

Anyone have that pic that explains how to get Silent Hill 2-4 looking nice on PC?

No, but I do have more nurses.

Forgive me for the source, but this should get you on the right track.

neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488899

Horror games just bore me, im too alpha for this shit.
I only like the action oriented ones like Dead Space, FEAR, Resident Evil 4.

You just google "silent hill pc guide" and it's the first image result. It's the same information as here anyway

Sure you don't mean you're too Chad for this shit?

Dead end road.

Thank you very much

i'll fight you anytime nerd, just tell me where

FEAR environments are pretty sterile looking, but the objects in them react very well if you hit them. Like the ceiling lamps, walls being damaged, the buckets the devs really, really want you to knock over..

Lets not forget two classics.

Nah.

The devs really have a thing with buckets in these games

That pic put me on the mood for some horror stories. Mind to share more?

Ok, I got this. You play as a girl that for some reason that I can't really think right now escapes from home to go where his great-aunt lives (since she has memories of spending time with her when she was a child, but the family cut any connections with the great-aunt for reasons she doesn't know). So she arrives to her last know residence just to found it in ruins, exploring a little she finds the typical witch hat, then she puts it and thats when the spirit that lives in the hat starts talking with her, think in something like navi from Zelda. The hat tells her that the great-aunt disappeared months ago and some mysterious force is responsable of the state of the house, and that if she wants to found her she will have to learnd the way of the witch to resolve the mystery of the whereabouts of her great-aunt while she has to fight againts other witches, different kinds of monsters and a secret organization that hunts witches. It's like Harry Potter but instead of being fantastic and happy, it's more grim and with black magic, curses, necromancy, etc.

bumping the thread

I really have to wonder if RE7 will end up decent at this point. What I'm seeing of the game really isnt giving me confidence, especially the corny shit of the spooky ghosts talking.

It's like you insist on being disappointed

horror

Anyone here actually play F.E.A.R online? Was it actually decent or just a generic online freemium fps?

DS1 was a good attempt at being survival horror. Or at least be more spookier than RE4 was.

I just cant help it. With the fact that its coming out next year I kinda want to try it now to see if its good or bad.

RE1 on PS1 was a great game fucker.

Who can forget the amazing voice acting on par with House of the Dead? And the masterpiece of storytelling where Wesker was the bad guy? And best of all the mansion basement track? Gives me the shivers every time.

Did I say the game wasn't good? The dub is horrible. Probably the only scary thing about the game.

Hunters are scary, but that's because they can kill you instantly and there's more of them. They're a joke in REmake, since their jump attack is so high you can run right under them. It's my only complaint.

the problem with DS1 in my opinion and most horror games is that you saw and knew what you were up against, and that it was mostly jump scares. The atmosphere was great but the best horror is when you dont know if the monster is going to show up or not and it basically gives you blue balls on jumping out at you, leaving your mind to imagine when it shows up or what it looks like.

Oh wow, I completely forgot this was a thing

I disagree, mainly because you never actually knew whether a monster would pop up from the next air vent in DS1. As a matter of fact, the sound and music design was heavily build around this - more than once you heard some rumbling in the ceiling above you and expected another necromorph to pop up, only to get nothing. Then you have a completely calm passage where one of the things suddenly jumps into your face.

Hope not. Never liked those.

Sweet Home

The atmosphere in dead space 1 is god tier for horror games, I remember the PA system whispering random bullshit to you which was fucking genius.

Maybe because the spooky came mostly from the weird hallucination segments, and those weren't very good? Once you saw one or two, it became super obvious that you didn't really need to fight or avoid stuff during those, you were just expected to walk to a place and see something scary the end, they were basically just custscenes you walked through. Which if you ask me, is pretty lame. I was glad that later entries cut down on that. Or at least, put those ghost things in much more often to add some actual danger and interactivity to the spooky parts.

Also, just in general, the gameplay itself was you, a realistic soldier dude, fighting other realistic soldier dudes with realistic guns in realistic places. Keeping the supernatural/paranormal stuff so separate from the actual vast majority of the gameplay really bothered me. Felt like a bait and switch, since paranormal ghost stuff is far, far more interesting, what the promotional material and plot implied it would focus on, and what sold me on the games in the first place. I expected the PC to be more paranormal and actually fight ghosts and magic stuff, even once I started playing, at first I seriously assumed those soldiers were just the into stuff and the bulk of the game would be supernatural enemies and dangers. Instead it was all shooting soldier with guns and the cool supernatural stuff was just non-interactive window dressing.

I'd say it was pretty much more of Dead Space 1 but improved in most ways, and with a few of the same problems. If you liked the first one, the second one is absolutely worth it.

Once again though, you could totally make it through the whole game using nothing but the plasma cutter. Well, DS2 technically has a different plasma gun, but it's basically the same in practice.

I feel like the horror genre died long ago. The last horror game that i actually sort of liked was The Evil Within, and i wasn't exactly pissing myself while playing it, unlike Dead Space.

Anons, do you have anything that could actually scare the shit out of me without cheap jumpscares ? I haven't played a fun horror game for ages.

Is Fran Bow good? I have it installed but haven't played

Just don't expect horror beyond some fucked up imagery, the first chapter being the strongest in that regard. After that it goes in a different direction.

Yes and no. It's really neat initially, but goes downhill once you get to the Happyland Acidtrip Dimension.

Hells know what the developers were thinking.

I've lost it.

art direction and taking full advantage from the hardware to it's fullest.
when people mention "using the limitations as features" they probably only remember the SH1 fog, but they forget that SH1,2,3 and 4 always keeps the lighting as non-directional as possible so stuff like baked-in ambient occlusion doesn't stick out

IT FEELS LIKE …
SOMEONE WANTS TO SELL ME SOMETHING!

Nonsense user. This is for your own good.

Honestly I cant think of anything. Its sad the horror genre has gone through an identity crisis recently. I guess play Zombi?

Well, look who's back.

Theoretically.

Maybe.

techraptor.net/content/allison-road-p-t-spiritual-successor-revived

If you were going to make a horror game yet didn't have the immediate programming knowledge to create something from scratch, what modabble engine and game mechanics would be sensible to choose?

I'm really curious if that ever gets released at this point.

Fucking kill me

What the hell? didn't they died for absence of shekels? where did they get money now?

RPG Maker

** But seriously, there's a few really neat horror games made with it. Ib, The Witch's House, etc.

Are there any horror games that are actually scary that's also on PC?
Most of them just try to be disturbing like Silent Hill, and many """"horror games"""" aren't scary in the fucking slightest like Resident Evil and Dead Space.

Dead End Road actually looks interesting to me, purely by virtue of being something new and original looking. Is it any good, or just more forgettable Youtube facecam shit?

Also, is there anything else genre-wise that could be combined with horror to make something interesting? Could a horror pet sim work? I know a horror tetris game works, it's called Irisu Syndrome.

I tried it for a bit, though not enough to have a solid idea. It has a rogue-lite structure, with money, stops where you have to buy, sell and repair stuff so you have to dodge shit on the road sections. Those are essentially Eternal Darkness simulators. Some illusions were clever, some were BSODs with 8-bit style. The start where you make a deal with the devil is a bit cheesy as well. Otherwise it was a fairly solid basis for a very low budget game. I can't say if it has a good payoff. I hope so.

white day

Can someone explain to me why Atari canned the Alone in the Dark RE-make style game? Shit looked pretty good

I'll bump for more on this.

They were really banking on 2008's alone in the dark to do well. I think MRGR has a video that goes a litt more in depth but I can't remember which one it was. But yeah, it did look really good.

Also, may as well post the footage for others to see what we missed out on.

how is dreadout anyways?

It definitely looks a bit better than New Nightmare. All those QTEs would just start to get annoying after a while, imo. They were probably going to be used extensively for their branching events idea, I bet.

RPG Maker doesn't sound that bad. From what I heard, a lot of different things can be implemented in a game with it but, it takes a bit of roundabout wrestling with the code to work.

The majority of the gameplay in Ib was logic puzzles or quick thinking to escape a suddenly dangerous situation. I even liked the health bar system, so if you made a mistake it didn't outright kill you for it.

I thought it did decently enough outside of the critical reception? Or did it flop badly?

Speaking of flops, is Atari doing anything anymore after that shitty game Illumination

I finished Soma, I really liked the story, not many games challenge your morals like that.

youtube.com/watch?v=iAcAd1fUiy8

I used to be excited for routine, but development has been so long now so my interest has cooled quite a bit.

Might be nice to try once they finish it, if ever

Barely any love for that game other than a single post.

Now, I could rant about the game from the inconsistent footstep sounds, to the controls and framerate (I play on PS4), and how much of a step-down it is from RE4 mechanically. And while the game isn't that scary to me, I'm absolutely loving the atmosphere so far, and the gameplay is very enjoyable when it "clicks". Killing a whole group of enemies with a single match or axe/torch attack, bottle to the face and stab them in the head while they're stunned is satisfying as fuck, knowing that I just conserved a shit ton of ammo and resources. Blasting enemies with the shotgun and hearing the meat explode is fucking awesome, it just needs a few damage upgrades.

All in all, a very flawed game, but very satisfying and intriguing. It's a shame I didn't get a physical copy of it, but 12€ on a sale wasn't too bad.

That I was honestly worried about since from what little I've seen of the trailers leading up to release I expected it to be lackluster, and the posts I saw talking about it on Holla Forums sure didn't give me confidence. Though I agree, it is flawed but enjoyable. I just wonder if we'll ever get a sequel to it, or what Tango is even doing anymore.

That's funny, because just earlier today I saw an article suggesting that Bethesda might consider sequels for The Evil Within and Rage.

Ah it was fairly shit in fairness.

I'm all for Evil Within, its one of the few new IPs I give a shit about, but Rage? I don't understand that at all.

I think it was less a matter of "we might make a sequel" and more a matter of "these games made us enough money that a sequel could be profitable". So in other words, probably not going to happen, and fuck Bethesda once more.

Rage was more solid than TEW gameplay wise.

I just wish Bethesda didn't have to publish Evil Within or any game had had potential to be decent. Like Prey 2, that shit got canned in favor for a Bioshock-tier reboot. But at least it didn't completely flop.

Really? I'm skeptical because it was by new-id,
and I hear its horrible on PC but somehow plays great on PS3.

I liked Rage a lot more than wolfenstein the new order, but it was quite some time ago now that i played it and my tastes have matured so who knows.

Sure buddy

And all the enemies in TEW don't walk right at you?

Apart from the even worse 'zombies' with guns.

I've never played any horror games, I don't like getting spooked
which ones should I play

What type of spook do you want?

Spooky
not toospooky

Decent but a bit short and buggy game. Its like a mix of Forbidden Siren and Project Zero/Fatal Frame. Weird surreal shit and weird monsters like in Forbidden Siren, the fighting mechanics that resemble Fatal Frame.

It never gets boring but at times few parts might get a bit frustrating.

This week I've reinstalled all my Silent Hill PC versions again, for my friends wife wants to play them despite never playing horror games before. Just finished Silent Hill 3's hospital and she called it a night for now. So far she likes that one the most out of the first three.

Getting them to work on widescreen mode is a bit of a hassle but otherwise they work fine. Problem with SH4 PC version is that you cant fix the locked 15 fps on the cutscenes plus the right analog stick does not work on any gamepad. So you have to use either the Xpadder, or use WASD controls while inside the room and gamepad when you're playing in the Otherworld.

Play the original 4 Silent Hill games, those barely if ever use cheap jump scares.

Nice, I'll give it a download here in a bit then. It being a Korean indie game sort of put me off, but that sounds pretty decent.

Indonesian. What makes it interesting is that you're not just fighting ghosts, the monsters are indonesian folklore monsters. Ghosts are inside body bags, you even encounter those flying heads with entrails attached to them at one point in the game. Thats another way it resembles forbidden siren: Monsters can be goofy yet terrifying at the same time.

Heres a hint: In Episode 1, when it gets dark, DO NOT enter the school immediatly, you can explore the town again and find plenty of neat secrets. But once you go through the school doors, you cant return.

Lol you mad man.

Cry of fear is free and spooky.

Dead space, all of the resident evils from 4 back, and system shock 2 are top tier spooky games.

Are there any good new horror games being made anymore? Anything that's not first person walk around and don't get caught or sit around and don't get caught?

No, I can't think of one.

Humble Bundle is offering some PS3 and PS4 games, Resident Evil REmake and Resident Evil 0 Remastered are on the bundle if anyone is interested.

It's a video that was made for Radiohead that they posted on instagram. It was a sort of teaser for their latest album.

I just recently finished it, and I love the game. I do think there are a lot of problems in terms of hitboxes and how the gameplay works. I don't think I should have to fucking upgrade my accuracy, it's a bit rediculous once you get later in the game and every bullet is needed and you miss one because this it was the 1 time out of 5 that the gun misses and you get insta-killed. A lot of the insta-kills in it are quite annoying as well, aside from things like the chainsaw guy that's a clone from RE4. Using a flash crossbolt on a group of enemies, but then not being able to knock ANY of them down to use a match on all of them is really annoying.

BESIDES THAT
It's a great game, definitely one of the better games to come out in recent years.

It wasn't really seen like that at launch, in fact I never bought it until now because besides being a poorfag on a shit PC I was worried that it was just a Last of Us clone or an RE6 in disguise.

Game's real good. To bad it didn't get alot of attention.

Its a damn shame its so expensive. Was Rule of Rose and good too?

Rule of Rose is about the clunkiest thing I've ever played, even by the standards of survival horror. When the stars align and the atmosphere is right it can be incredibly uncomfortable, but oftentimes I find it falls quite flat. The poor gameplay is arguably the biggest problem, as it makes what would be some quite frightening encounters laughable. It's an interesting (if slightly unbelievable) story, though, and the soundtrack is some 10/10 shit.

It was a bit too shooty for me to like it. I wanted more horror less shooter.

Be aware that there currently is a game-breaking bug if you let the Giant monster kill you, as the game fades to black but you don't get properly sent to Limbo.

Also, Keepers of the Dark was really disappointing. No over-arching story, and the better part of the environments are recycled from the main game.

How in the hell is this thread still alive anyway

It's okay.

Really underrated game, the story and atmosphere is incredible.

If only it wasn't so buggy and didn't crash every 15 seconds (literally) in late-game.

THROUGH THE POWER OF SATAN.

Eh, its decent. Though it recycles the maps, monsters are mostly new and it varies and mixes things a lot inside all of the mini-areas, so theres a lot of variety going on. Its not boring, and its less buggy than the main game too.

So I decided to look through Steam's list of indie horror games, to see if I could find anything that deviated from the "Slender/FNaF/PT clone". Not the best idea, because there's a lot of those clones, plus people like tagging really shitty games as Horror and Psychological Horror.

Of this test, the most interesting, potentially "unique" horror games to me look like:

Are some of these any good? Are there any other…. worthwhile horror games from the independent branch? Besides Dreadout, that's already chatted about

NightCry is a weird one, where the problem may have been a lack of clear focus among all the staff. Even though some of the cast of developers worked on the Clock Tower series and other horror titles, it's hilariously bad imo.

It works similarly to a point&click interface but, with all the horrible parts of one stuck into it: gated events and some obtuse puzzles to name two of them.

Is it at least coded well? Do the controls function, is the framerate and resolution stable? Some things I'm more willing to let slide, like story and puzzles, compared to how well the game runs.

It's like the Bourne series, or Cloverfield, if the story and special effects are like a game's challenge or, well, story, and that god damn camera shake represents how well that game runs.

Oh dear, it was a mistake buying Downpour, the suttering and low framerate and how close the camera is to you is making me motion sick. But hey I'm only 50 minutes in, its bound to get better. I hope.

Also did previous Silent Hill games have slow starts? I dont remember 1 or 2 taking that long to introduce combat. Nor do I remember shit blending easily in the background.

Betrayer is a good game, its not horror though.

It doesn't have shit on the Void, much less the original russian version of it.

So how are we feeling today?

Turgor got taken off Steam though, so that's not included in the list.

It's still available from GOG and piracy, I don't think the original Turgor is available for purchase anywhere anymore.