Dev stories

ITT: Post stories about game companies from employees
This one is about TellTale, It's from a review on glassdoor.

EA literally killed someone that one time.

the regular bethesda is cancer shit, someone else probably has all of them

my company accidentally sold themselves one time, that was a bit weird

i want to be a games designer. would i be treated any better than the code monkeys, or would i be treated worse?

they all deserve it. without management breathing down their neck the games would be even more broken and unfinished.

never ever have sympathy for devcucks.

depends where you are and what stage you are at, and by who do you mean

Pete Hines' smug face needs blown in with pic related till you hear the click. Anyone who disagrees can kill themselves.

would the management trust me to get my shit done without needing to treat me like a baby, would the programmers respect my motives for making a game a certain way, and would the producers think i actually know what i'm on about?

i've only made one video game in 6 weeks and the rest are reviews on my blog

Is that an actual weapon? Can it actually be used efficiently? It looks impractical as fuck

depends where you work, basically big companies (ubi, blizz, beth, bioware, etc.) are pyramid schemes, you had to be that at the start to get the goods, and if you were youre basically jesus and can go around doing whatever you like, fucking shit up because all the bosses are you friends of 20 years (eg metzen). the only way to advance in those places is to come in sideways at a higher level ie from another company

aim for a small-medium (eg larian, obsidian, relic) sized studio where you are more likely to find people who are actually interested in games as a medium. also, youre an entry level dummy, you know a lot less than what you actually think, keep that in mind because if you act the opposite people will not like you

it will jam before you fire all the rounds but yes its real enough. its just a normal gun with a weird mag

Clearly you are not from /k/.
The only strange thing about it is the size for the mag, otherwise it's just a normal Glock.
Yes, those mags exist and can be used. It's not impractical unless you somehow manage to use a auto-glockazine.

This sounds reasonable.

Can I ask why you think I know less than I think?

Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't it be more efficient to simply carry a supply of extended mags on hand, and learn to quickly feed the chamber in a timely manner, instead of carrying that heavy and impractical drum around everywhere you go? Wouldn't that thing just slow you down?

well you told me; 'ive only made one game'

apart from that, you dont really appreciate how much there is to know about a subject until you start meeting people who have that knowledge ie working professionally in a high level environment. its not a slight against you, its just how the world is

sure, but sometimes you want to goof about on the range

Then why the huge mag? No way that shit'll all get used before it explodes.

While I'm not going to say who I am, I wish people would stop shitting on so many of us devs. We literally have no real control in the end and it's the execs and such who should be after because they're the real cucks but all you do is go after footsoldiers and wonder why their army isn't falling.

If you have to ask "why?" the answer is always "more dakka"

yeah tell that /k/

Can confirm, know a bunch of people in these companies. Moving up the ranks as a new employee is basically impossible unless you're willing to stroke a lot of ego. Everything in these companies is based on who you know and on how much they like you. You can be the most competent person at your job and the most competent person for the job you're aiming to be promoted for, but that doesn't matter in the least bit if the core doesn't consider you to be a good dude.

Think of it this way: the big companies are made up of 20-30 people who run the whole show and hundreds of monkeys who just obey orders, no matter how bad and stupid those orders are.

Fun story time. Bobby Kotick visited the Blizzard HQ during the early D3 development days and straight up told them to put the RMT auction house into the game to drive up profits. He's the reason why the loot system worked the way it did at release: it was simply to drive up profits. If that jew hadn't meddled and if Morhaime wasn't a jew himself who sold out his company to activision, then Diablo 3 would've been significantly better at release. Still shitty, but better.

So to all the developers in this thread: why not form your own company?

Indie games are big right now, you could get funding from anywhere, so long as it isn't a Minecraft clone or a 2d pixel art side scroller you could turn a pretty good profit.

Use the money for your next game

The main problem is money. How do you pay a bunch of employees over a period of a few years with no profits coming in?

i am, just not a gaming one, i missed the boat on that by about 15 years

Kikestarter

You could always dev on the side without pay, until you something to show for it. At that point you could either show your prototype to a potential publisher or you could use kickstarter. My own plan is to work on small mobile games on the side, and over time build up a small team, and then work on something bigger.

Pretty sure a lot of tech related companies have a clause in their employment contracts that stipulates that any bit of solo stuff you do belongs to the company because you could be using bit of technology from your company for your own profit. Not sure if it applies to game companies.

I feel like that wouldn't stop many employees though. If you're working for a tech company you'd probably be smart enough to know how to separate your personal work from your job.

Walmart has one. Any and all things you create while working there is company property.
And apparently they are common place.
That's why I had to quit my job to try and make it as an artist

come on, that took 5 seconds to think up

stakeholders dude

It really just depends on how much they think your idea is worth. If they can provide proof that you where employed when you came up with it all money and creative license is theirs.

There's also patron, and good ol fashioned business loans

There's a whole bunch of ways to get investment money without going cap in hand to publishers.

I think shovelware is a big issue these days, drowing out any decent games.
Unless you live in a poor country where cost-of-living is cheap so the risk is lower, getting reliable ROI on a game is really hard.

a studio won't make you a designer unless you've already been in the industry for several years
the best way to get into the design aspect is to start your own projects

How is that relevant at all? Mathewmatosis isn't a game dev, and he certainly wasn't on the dev team for DMC.

Yes shovelware is huge right now, but that's because most people don't think twice about dropping $3-$15 dollars for a game that looks fun.

So pad put the game page with images, videos that focus on the game and do your own advertising. Give out steam keys to YouTubers, make a twitter account, post on Reddit

If you make a good game and people who like games know about it, they will buy it.

Who's it easier to blame? The no name suit who is just a name on the company's wikipedia, or the guy who was in interviews selling us bullshit?
Of course we know its all about making the most amount of money for the least amount of effort and the execs will always push that since it's the most profitable. But for every game are we just to assume it's always the execs and never incompetent devs? That would be naive

Thats a funny way of spelling "dick".

You know, youd be surprised at the sorts of professionals that visit these kinds of places. Disenfranchised developers, burned by something they once loved, chewed up and spat out for a few dollars more to some suit.

Why, that sort of person just might appreciate the kind of company Holla Forums provides.

I know I do.

A&CP tutorial level release soon(tm), niggas.

how long has that thing been in development for now? i was on the team for like 3 weeks what seems like 2 years ago

Nearing two years. Probably could have cut a year off that if people werent learning to code from near scratch, but thankfully those days are over. Tipping point is coming soon methinks. A solid level under our wing should get the ball rolling. Remember that most of the team are former idea guys that finally decided to Just Like Make Game.

And you can too. Don't give up on your dreams, user.

I thought these were only while on company time? It can't be possible to just steal something that somebody made on their own time.

You would be surprised at what kind of fucked up rules some places have

no way dude id rather stay in AI making 6figs at age 23

That doesn't mean that such a clause is enforceable.

Hee hee hee. Sure, if theres a 0 infront of the "$25,000"

capital markets and IoT dude

Doesn't matter. They can stall until you're broke.

AI is huge right now, or at least pattern recognition is. Many economists and people in the government have been desiring software for big data analysis. Predictions are a valuable commodity and especially so in business.