Oddworld thread

So I got the Oddworld series recently. About to boot up Abe's Oddysee. What am I in for overall? Also Oddworld general.

It's a great puzzle/platform game with funny quirks. It has a "muh racism" message but if you're not a hardcore Holla Forumsack it shouldn't be a problem.

Getting every slave in every level is a nice challenge, fuck I need to replay that game.

Long gameplay sections that require timing and precision, and noticeable punishment for failing it.

It's more of a skill game than a puzzle game.

hey everyone what's a game where i can customise my party members and fuck them

A great and funny puzzle cinematic platformer. I've actually just finished Exoddus today and started Stranger's Wrath although it's not exactly what I expected.

I still don't get this. Does this all show up in Munch's Oddysee or something or did I miss something?

An amazing atmosphere with addictive gameplay and a very likeable character.

Going for all slaves saved is worth it as you get the true ending and because the game makes you want to save them.

I love the music too and it fits the game perfectly. For me all the games in the series are excellent and I've enjoyed them all.

A true classic.

I can swallow that. Its far from the worst message a game has had

I miss games like that so I suppose this will be fun.

Yeah, like I said, I just got the whole series so I'll be diving into em chronologically. I've heard MO and SW were quite different, but not bad (except maybe Munch).

Also OP I suggest you experiment heavily with the Gamespeak options. There are a few things you can do with them that aren't revealed until midway through the game but they save you some trouble and is needed for 100% or all mudokon rescues.

You won't once you get to pic related. Just so you know how the checkpoint system works, whenever a green diamond appears over Abe's head you've hit a checkpoint and now can save and return to that checkpoint.

Also kind of a small gameplay spoiler but check everywhere for secrets, there's plenty of them scattered throughout the game including one that's in the first screen of the game

Will do, good buddy. I did hear that AO had a problem with checkpoints that Exoddus solves with quicksave. Is it really that troublesome?

I wouldn't really call it a problem. Exoddus is much easier because of the quicksave but I kind of see why they've done it because some of the parts in Exoddus were really long and massive compared to Oddyssee and doing it checkpointless would be a pain in the ass.

It's not troublesome but it'll give you a great deal of grief with some very tough parts, especially ones that involve a lot of waiting(like the image I posted). But it makes all the better when you finally win.

Well that's good. Glad it won't be too much of an issue then. I'm not typically a diligent saver anyway.

The way the stig enters the first screen right as you leave it always scared the shit out of me as a kid. Whenever I started the game I'd run as fast as I can through the first couple screens sure he'd be right behind me.

With all the WHATs sligs throw out I'm surprised DSP hasn't played any of the Abe games.

Is Stranger's wrath supposed to run like dogshit or what?

Runs fine for me

So, I've noticed a bit of slowdown during cutscenes when playing AO. Its weird considering gameplay runs perfectly fine. Any fix for this?

dont fucking run it with MSAA, that multiplies the resolution it actually renders it at
so 8x MSAA at 1920x1080 would be 15360x8640, so no shit that would run badly

The game came out 3 PlayStations ago. The next time you're tempted to ask a Taiwanese sculptor board what you could easily learn on the god damn steam page, or Wikipedia, or any gaming mag that has been born and died during this time, grab a hammer and smash your computer, and then your head, and then your nuts you colossal waste of space. If you have to be spoonfed every detail before you try anything, the next thing you swallow should be drain cleaner. Babies have been born, grown up and have fucked your mother since this game. How about I act like an attention-seeking fag and ask "hey guys, about to eat a hamburger for the first time, I could just bite the fucking thing but because I want your approval, what am I in for?" . Fuck you and every thread like this.

Notice I saged this post. That's because I don't like thrusting my pointless post to the top of the board if there's nothing important I've said. The next time you're tempted to ask what something is like, write your question on a bottle of bleach and then dump the contents on your eyes.

you sound like a casual.

Jesus you're embarrassing.

I'm running it on everything unticked or set to the lowest setting, it's still stuttering every now and then for whatever reason. Guess my toaster isn't up to speed.

I really wish all they'd done with that remaster was add more control layouts. I really don't like playing them on PC unless I emulate them with my PS2 controller. That's probably me showing my particular spectrum of the 'tism, though.

If you're on an NV card, maybe turn of threaded optimization, that can dick up some older games. Allowing negative LOD bias can help with older games too. Dick around with those maybe.

Is Munch's Oddyssee worth playing?

You're not autistic. Being retarded and having jump and hoist be the same button was the worst thing about that remaster.

It's a great puzzle game in general. Also some comedy mixed in.

I didn't realise until my last play-through a few weeks ago that you can just sneak back into the left screen and be hidden in shadows. It makes that puzzle so much easier.

I'd say it's a bit more generic. Munch's is more of a collect-a-thon so don't expect the same sort of game and it's a bit less creative with puzzles. I appreciate them trying to update it without a full remaster though. Some reason they have the axis inverted by default but it's something you can change.