Roguelikes

Why haven't you learned to play roguelikes yet user? I know some of you have, play along please here

Roguelikes in simple terms are games like rogue. These games are defined by a set series of things that are include: procedural generation, permadeath, etc. (For those curious as to what really defines a roguelike, see the munich definition).

Now I know what some of you are thinking, user these games are hard to play, hard to learn. Well user, that's just not true, there are a few roguelikes that yes require tons of meta knowledge, whereas others are very approachable for those even new to the genre.

So where to get started? Well that parts easy. The roguelikes you can play with your mouse will be the simplest place to startup from. For that feeling I recommend:
Tome4: It feels like an mmorpg in a lot of ways with cooldowns, battaling and plenty of story.

Doom roguelike: Chock full of everything you love about doom, now in roguelike form.

Dungeon crawl stone soup: This is one of the best of the genre overall. And its made to surepitiously avoid meta knowledge. Tons of viable charcter builds and lots of great ways to play.

Brogue: This one is all about what gear you find. Without stats, you're at the mercy of finding things. The gear makes the charcter build. This is a great roguelike that also features the best looking ascii in the genre.

Bring your roguelike expirences to this thread. Bring your yet another stupid deaths, and remember the dev team thought of literally everything.

Other urls found in this thread:

roguetemple.com/roguelike-definition/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

cause the graphics are shit

Thread a shit

This doesn't look good to you? I rarely say this, but get some taste.

actually yeah
that looks like a steaming pile of shit.
Literally any other roguelike has better ASCII art than the pile of undulating mess that is Brogue.

Personally, I find Rougelikes and Rougelike-likes to be shit.
Mostly due to the whole random luck-based rubbish about it.
If you don't get X during Y, when you reach stage whatever, you'll die, and that sort of jazz.
I do not find them fun.

Honestly roguelike-likes (especially the action based ones) tend to be the worst about this. I mean nethack? Sure. But in brogue or dcss or doom roguelike it really does come down to skill. Smart playing in these means any playthrough is viable. Techically once you learn how to entierly break the rng in games like nethack they get super easy. That's why I prefer the stuff in the genre thats not about that.

I played nethack for about 18 months (unnethack to be specific) and eventually managed to learn to asscend easily but its not an expirence I want to go through again it was the most time I've ever spent on a game ……it was a bunch of work

This more or less matches my nethack experience as well, and would also be my non-meme response to your OP.
Every time I look at another roguelike, I remember my nethack grind and can't bring myself to go near it. I'm permanently burned out on the genre.

I've got non-roguelike dungeon crawlers in my life now and don't need to go back to it anyway.

Even in cases of "skill" it peeves me, because one round could be piss easy, with or without skill, and the next could be something only an experienced player would be able to manage.

I don't hate procedural generated, but just keep the RNG to a minimum, please

The ones I've played have been boring. It seems like a genre that has been fetishized and is composed mostly of derivative rubbish and games valued primarily for nostalgia that no longer compare favourably in the eyes of a newcomer.

Agreed. Looks like shit.

It's called Tales of Maj'eyal you faggot, and you're supposed to tell anons it's on GOG with the DLC via pirated download through the massive GOG collection torrent, and all they have to do is update it from it's directory folder because it's installed from a certain version.

In regards to mods, you want Bazaar for it's item stores and quests (May fuck up tiles but it doesn't break the game) Zomnibus's Addon pack for fixes and Menu stuff, NPC forgiveness one of the Alchemist quest fixers that change the order or the like of how the potions are completed if you don't want to miss out on the chance to get the buffs from the Alchemist guild quests.

There's other stuff too, namely for classes and races, but the stuff such as Necromancy+ should be used on;y AFTEr you've played the default necromancer and likewise arcanum for spellcasters.

Isn't this the fun part in sp videogames in general? When you gradually learn to abuse the mechanics.

I tried playing Elona+ but when I run it I see a window pop up for a fraction of a second and then nothing ;_;

Is that a rougelike?

Yes.

I really enjoy Roguelikes such as Spelunky, Don't Starve, Binding of Isaac Rebirth and FTL: Faster than Light

>Enjoy Cogmind quite a lot.
>Can't talk about it because it instantly turn into muh 25$.
So, what did DCSS devs fuck lately?

any good 'modern' roguelikes?

This is the reason Roguelikes are dying, because any game that tries to evolve the genre gets shit on for not being a procedural turn-based ASCII RNGfest.

Has it ever occurred to you that not all deaths are bad and some things should die?

Abandon thread

They aren't trying to evolve the genre, they aren't part of the genre. It's like saying LoL is trying to save RTS games.

Can you go to reddit please.

The big modern games are still long in the process of getting there. Like cogmind and caves of qud are both going to be great one day. But the truth is that they just aren't there yet. As far as playing a big roguelike (if you've played em before cataclysm is a god one) and then the "classics" that have solid uis are nice. There are some good as fuck coffee break roguelikes out there too.

does ASCII repel you two from dwarf fortress too?
i think you two belong on reddit

Find me one that doesn't look like shit and has a UI that makes sense.

It's too different. A roguelike has a strict definition of rules for a reason. Roguelite games are simply games of another genre with some roguelike elements mixed in but don't fit the formal definition. It's like calling a Moba an RTS

dwarf fortress not being an enjoyable video game repels me from it.

I know this will sound really petty, but I just can't get past the UI for most of them. It's hard to explain beyond "too much shit going on messes with my ability to see anything" and the couple I tried were ASCII. Are there any good roguelikes that are a bit more defined in appearance?

Sour Cream ice cream sounds like it could be good, though. COULD.

It helps to pace yourself at first and use examine until you figure out what is what. They usually come down to a handful of hotkeys you'll generally use too, only thing that bothers me is when a game decides to switch up the basic keys.

I'd say dungeon crawl stone soup tiles is the easiest one with any real depth to start playing on a capable level. Even a newbie will be able to start getting there with enough practice, and the ui is really solid. The tiles aren't exactly beautiful but they're very servicable. Doom roguelike with tiles also supports a good interface as well as having a nice soundtrack. Those are good graphical ways to start playing.

I'm obviously op. I just would love to get some more discussion going about this genre here

Casual

Rogue fucking sucked.

QUICK! GIVE ME THE GRANDEST ROGUELIKE THAT EXISTS!

what do you guys think of these roguelikes?

I think you were beat to the punch already.

Recently went to revisit dorf fort adventure mode.
Had a nice time of mutilating various lifeforms, making figurines of them from their own bones, selling those to forts and lining them in my inn that I built in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, and other such standard stuff.
Wish I could figure out why climbing is fucked in the caverns and my dorf keeps falling down after climbing 1 z-level up even with legendary climbing skill.

Last time I checked, admittedly a couple of years ago, that shit was free.
Did the dev start demanding shekels for the base game, or did you just mean to get the DLC?

The crappy thing about DF is that I learned how to play it a few years back, but then I didn't play it a while and now I don't remember how to do all the controls and what-not and it just ultimately pisses me off. I remember the concepts, but the damned interface to just play it is so taxing.

I guess i was too l8 to the b8, m8.

Are there any Rougelikes that allow for in depth character customization from the start?

Binding of Isaac had janky shooting and movement mechanics while substituting story for edginess. Would not play.

Spelunky is mechanically tighter with a depth to it which makes it so you can't tell if you're going to get fucked at any moment, and yet gives you the tools to tear up the entire map if you want to. I still haven't beat Spelunky. I would recommend.

I was wanted to play Don't Starve. Is it worth it?

Most of the hotkeys are right on the interface, I don't really understand being entirely lost. There's also the wiki with a basic starter tutorial. I've used that to get situated again before.

ANYONE!?

ADOM

no. i would recommend investing in an exit bag

I made it to level 10 of Pixel Dungeon so feel free to ask me how it feels to be the most hardcore gamer alive

k - view cursor
v - unit cursor
q - structure cursor
u - unit list
b - build list
b + w - workshop list
b + C - constructions
< > - z-level scroll
shift + directional - cursor skip
a - announcements
r - reports

spelunky wasn't for me. had fun killing shop keepers though.
don't starve is interesting. i'm looking forward to improved clones

Didn't mean to sahgay

I beat shattered pixel dungeon with an eldritch longsword of +8

Even for ascii art it's bad.
At least the curses roguelikes keep it simple, instead of thinking 9 different characters for random greenery/groundcover is a good idea.

Sure, why not. I'm playing ADOM and this is my current wizard. Decided to dodge the SMC/UD route until I learn teleport, get teleport control and have a scroll of magic mapping to get outta there. Went trough the tutorial dungeon and then felt brave and went to PC.

I almost got slaughtered 4 times but prayers saved me. I survived, ended up almost level 12, I have some cursed gear but it's not too bad, yet. Unluckily, all the altars were generated in low population areas.

Also I ran into two blink dogs, one time I forgot to name the original one and the other one I had to slaugher cause it was in the PC small vault. No fucking corpse.

How's shattered compared to the vanilla game?

It's superior to vanilla in every way.

Playing a wizard is greatest fun in shattered.

I would too, but the 'tism about the stupid ass berlin interpretation is too much for poor Holla Forums a majority of the time

bump

Get out of here, Stalker!

He might be right, considering all that time I spent in it. Time/level constrained missions can be infuriating though.

Are you doing some challenge game or something?

Does anyone here play Trancendence? Is it considered a proper roguelike?

Because I'm not fucking autistic enough to figure out why I keep dying.

OP, what are your thoughts on Dungeons of Dredmor? I found it to be pretty basic, though the class system is something I wouldn't mind seeing implemented in other games. All in all I had fun with it, even if it wasn't all that challenging.

Fucking no taste man. This game is great.

it's nothing like rogue

It's a good game, but it's not even turn-based. It's hardly a roguelike at all.

Well I had fun with it for the 20 something hours I played it. I managed to get three victories in that time, but this is coming in as an experienced roguelike player. I found it kind of on the easy side, but it has some nice touches and a fairly solid interface. I loved the congratulations you have died screen when I first saw it that really got me.

The things I didn't dig where simple enough.

For some more challenging stuff with tons upon tons of class customization, you want to start looking at angband variants. The wackier ones like zangband, new poschengband etc. You get some really awesome variations to play with in these. It's not as spelled out for you as it is in dredmor, but the big fun in a roguelike is the sense of discovery. I'm not traditionally a band player, but when I get going with one of its wackier variants I can end up wasting days figuring out fun builds. I'd say the character building is probably the most detailed in this side of the isle.

I will say that outside of angbands more wacky variants and of course nethack and its variants, the genre could use the sense of humor a bit more sometimes. I've thought of working on a roguelike before myself, but seeing how many years it takes to get one done scares me.

Does it have to be turned based to be a roguelike? I thought a roguelike was simply a game with permadeath and items to increase strength.

permadeath, procedural generated everything

There is one rogue like with extra ordinary graphics…

is turn based not part of it?
it's really the only dividing line that I can see between roguelike and an arpg on hardcore

This is considered the definition of the genre. I don't necessarily hate roguelike likes or whatever you want to call them.

I'd argue those games aren't roguelikes and instead incorporate parts of the genre but that's just me.

This definition of "Roguelike" was created at the International Roguelike Development Conference 2008 and is the product of a discussion between all who attended. The definition at roguetemple.com/roguelike-definition/ was used as the starting point for the discussions. Most factors are newly phrased, new factors have been added, some factors have been removed.
General Principles

"Roguelike" refers to a genre, not merely "like-Rogue". The genre is represented by its canon. The canon for Roguelikes is ADOM, Angband, Crawl, Nethack, and Rogue.
This list can be used to determine how roguelike a game is. Missing some points does not mean the game is not a roguelike. Likewise, possessing some points does not mean the game is a roguelike.
The purpose of the definition is for the roguelike community to better understand what the community is studying. It is not to place constraints on developers or games.
High value factors

Random environment generation
The game world is randomly generated in a way that increases replayability. Appearance and placement of items is random. Appearance of monsters is fixed, their placement is random. Fixed content (plots or puzzles or vaults) removes randomness.
Permadeath
You are not expected to win the game with your first character. You start over from the first level when you die. (It is possible to save games but the savefile is deleted upon loading.) The random environment makes this enjoyable rather than punishing.
Turn-based
Each command corresponds to a single action/movement. The game is not sensitive to time, you can take your time to choose your action.
Grid-based
The world is represented by a uniform grid of tiles. Monsters (and the player) take up one tile, regardless of size.
Non-modal
Movement, battle and other actions take place in the same mode. Every action should be available at any point of the game. Violations to this are ADOM's overworld or Angband's and Crawl's shops.
Complexity
The game has enough complexity to allow several solutions to common goals. This is obtained by providing enough item/monster and item/item interactions and is strongly connected to having just one mode.
Resource management
You have to manage your limited resources (e.g. food, healing potions) and find uses for the resources you receive.
Hack'n'slash
Even though there can be much more to the game, killing lots of monsters is a very important part of a roguelike. The game is player-vs-world: there are no monster/monster relations (like enmities, or diplomacy).
Exploration and discovery
The game requires careful exploration of the dungeon levels and discovery of the usage of unidentified items. This has to be done anew every time the player starts a new game.
Low value factors

Single player character
The player controls a single character. The game is player-centric, the world is viewed through that one character and that character's death is the end of the game.
Monsters are similar to players
Rules that apply to the player apply to monsters as well. They have inventories, equipment, use items, cast spells etc.
Tactical challenge
You have to learn about the tactics before you can make any significant progress. This process repeats itself, i.e. early game knowledge is not enough to beat the late game. (Due to random environments and permanent death, roguelikes are challenging to new players.) The game's focus is on providing tactical challenges (as opposed to strategically working on the big picture, or solving puzzles).
ASCII display
The traditional display for roguelikes is to represent the tiled world by ASCII characters.
Dungeons
Roguelikes contain dungeons, such as levels composed of rooms and corridors.
Numbers
The numbers used to describe the character (hit points, attributes etc.) are deliberately shown.

the game is still free, but you can buy it on steam which acts as if you had donated to his website, so it unlocks the contributor bonuses and stuff like that.

The game is still free but I think it has limited race/class combos and misses a few features like the item vault. Try out the free version and buy it if you like it. I got the game and the first DLC for like 3€ on a sale.

They're rouge-like-likes.

Or roguelites

no, the reason roguelikes are dying is because nobody wants roguelikes, they want rogue LITES with random generation and RNG out the ass

Rouge like-like, is what that is, mate.

Roguelike is a term for "games similar to rogue"

YouTube killed roguelikes.

They enjoyed popularity in the 80s and 90s and after that they were only played by deep enthusiasts. A game like Spelunky has many merits of being a roguelike: procedural map, stupid deaths, tough but fair, map is made put of tiles.

It can also be played in short bursts and with the many stupid possible deaths make for great reactionary knee-jerk videos that are oh so popular. This trend bastardized the name and drove it further into the ground.

As I type this I realize classic Spelunky is probably the closest game in spirit to bring a roguelike because it has all the core principles of the genre, it's just action based. The goal is even to collect the most gold

That's silly, popularizing something else long after they're dead doesn't have much to do with killing it.
Diablo existing as a name brand, procedurally generated, monster mashing game did far more to sap players from the genre in much the same way mmos were the death knell of people under 20(now 30) playing MUDs.

Rogue didn't have multiple dungeons, nor were you expected to win it at all.

Hydra Slayer has a few characters to choose from, and one of the options is a pair of twins: one controlled directly, one indirectly.

is such stale and boring bait at this point that it should be considered spam and something to be deleted by mods tbh. Like fuck man what are you guys, the AAA industry for bait?
On topic, I've been playing a lot of nethack and tome lately, and I have to wonder if people who make recommendations are even keeping up with the latter. Everybody recommends the Zomnibus addon, but a huge chunk of the shit it adds is obsolete and nonfunctional. The addon list in general seems to have a ton of well-liked mods that are extremely out of date with the current game.

le edge xd

dfidf please go back to your containment thread

DCSS is so easy it hurts me.

Angband, has several tilesets built in, and doesn't really get hard until about 20 floors down (out of 100)

Yeup berlin interpretation is still shit and should never be used. More at 9

That line right there is exactly why the berlin interpretation is fucking garbage and the retards who made it are the reason this became such a problem.
Because of that line, according to the Berlin Interpretation, literally any game can be a roguelike, which is why the berlin interpretation is fucking retarded and a roguelike is a game that is literally "like rogue". If you can't tell the game is like rogue at a glance, boom, it isn't a roguelike. EZ. Why am I even talking about this, fuck this thread.

Depends on the race/class combo. I've won the game twice with easymode characters Hill Orc Fighter and a Spriggan Enchanter.

mystery dungeon good?

Rogue games are dogshit but its fun to watch middle age autists lose their minds over them.

I like rouguelikes but sometimes I just feel like they are missing something, especially those with loose or little to no defined story

Roguelikes are fine and all, but are there any ROUGElikes?

Note to death magic users: Unicorn of Order sometimes breathes light. Don't engage without the ability to cast Invulnerability. My most promising character died because his Wraithform was dispelled when he was crossing a wall.

Turn based games are for losers.

I like the term quasi-roguelikes.

Friendly reminder that jellies are the master race.
Subslimes get out.

But I have. I played roguelikes for years, until I realized permadeath is a shit gimmick that adds nothing to the game.