Video games that make you old

But its like those games came out yesterday. How do you feel about that?

Other urls found in this thread:

bnl.gov/about/history/firstvideo.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

meme

Megaman 1 nearly 29 years ago First game i ever tried to play

How long until PS2 games can be seen as "retro"?

welp

The future is now

Why can't new games be fun. I already know why. It's because I've grown up and don't have that sense of surprise and wonder anymore from something new in a game since I've seen so much of it before.

they already are

Sage for faggot.

I started off with a Sears model Pong machine, and the first console that I was really old enough to take ownership over as "my" system was the TI-99/4A. But playing those don't make me feel old. Playing my Master System and Genesis don't make me feel old.

What makes me feel old, are PS2 era games. Because that was almost 20 years ago, but that was also the time I was already in the workforce and buying my own shit. Playing them in my own apartment. Going out and fucking drinking with my cousins, then coming back and playing Soul Caliber II. I still don't conceptualize it as all that long ago… because the PS2 is a "new" console to me, compared to my TI and Master System, which have been the "retro" consoles for most of my life.

Shit, even the PSX era still feels somewhat recent until I actually take the time to do the math.

For some reason Half Life 2 feels really old to me. There are games that came out before that I feel like are 'newer'

thats because the hype around what Half Life 2 is/was was entirely artificial and part of the vanguard of the "OMG I'M SO NERDY GAMER 4 LYFE" marketing identity push.

There wasn't anything particularly artificial about that.
HL2 was coming out at the time when the first wave of people born into a world with a functioning video games industry were graduating college. Acknowledging the ""adult"" gamers that had been exposed to vidya from birth was an inevitability.

It was just demographics, not some marketing conspiracy.

Shit, man. Pong feels like it came out yesterday. Where did all the time go?

If you are over 30 then you don't belong on imageboards.

I'd ask a different question; are games today so bland that I remember these games far more vividly than the generic cawadooty $CURRENT_YEAR?

I feel like I'm still stuck in 2006, mentally. That's when the depression got really bad, and it's like everything since then has been a dream.

ITT: 20 year olds try to analyse market trends of 10+ years ago

I'll probably kill myself when I turn 30 and realize I haven't done anything with my life.

Similarly true if you are under 30.

My game quality expectations are still stuck in 2007 at the latest.

With each passing year, fewer and fewer games are released that feel like they are well made. I don't just mean they are mechanically great, but at least have that certain level of quality feel to their construction. Today we sit under an absolute mountain of buggy rushed hacked together abominations, whether it's Early Access or "AAA" studio releases.

Bloodborne might be the last game for a while that I can actually point to and say "this is a good game, you should play it."

I've spent the last couple weeks stockpiling old games that I never got to play as a kid and will be playing them for a while, because I know most of them will be great.

I'm 27 thank you very much, and it's not like people can't do their research for market trends of any time in the past.

That's the year the Internet died (again).

What was the first time? Eternal September?

It can't be………. because it didn't

yet another reason it sucks to be an immortal stegosaurus

The Simpsons turned to shit 18 years ago

It was dogshit for retards from get go.

feels bad man

Time really does fly.

98 baby here
Still in hs
I got held back.

I always knew there were literal retards on this site.

Ant it still looks better than pretty much anything since.

Good times

sauce: bnl.gov/about/history/firstvideo.php

In this post a retard projects their own insecurities

Just kill me.

pic not related, right?

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. When I started working, and was generally absorbed in RL, I had to stop being autistic with gaming and kinda dropped off the radar for half a dozen years. So I "quit" during the 32/64 bits era, and only came back during the 360 age (which is really PC+Wii for me, and my son).

Now I have this weird cognitive dissonance when I look back at old games. I look at N64 games and still feel that childish enthusiasm at the polygon graphics, like I can feel the breakthrough of OOT and still have the impulse to buy an old console to get these fantastic games. On the other hand when I look at modern gaming, even though it's 100X more advanced, I still think of it like any demanding faggot.

16 years

I only feel that there has been too much filler crap these last years.
I would feel more time dilatation if there would have been one decent game a year.

it only feels like yesterday because there's been no progress since then.

I like to point out that part of the effect of Nostalgia is that you, and pretty much society/culture, tends to discard, in bulk, all that was below average.

Yeah? Well I want you to grab a good emulator, grab the entire library, and see if you can stomach to play even HALF the games for more than a half hour at a time before you are put off by how shitty it is and then go to something else.

I think its important to snap yourself out of that nostalgia trap. Its what freezes you in place.

in a few years, PS3 games will be considered unplayable due to being "too old"

The Byzantine Empire was not the Roman empire no matter how hard you try to push it Achmed. You will always be goatfuckers.

i doubt it, the technical leaps between the ps3 era and now aren't that big. i mean normalfags and casuals will probably think it's too old but its nothing like trying to play an early 3d game compared to now

ps1/n64 era is what i would say actually aged the worst since there was a lot of new technology being experimented with and lots of nuances that hadn't been ironed out

the console features for the ps4 are pretty good, there's plenty of smart conveniences for it like being able to do updates while in sleep mode and the controller is really good. being able to screenshot in a console game is nice but not being able to map the share button to something else is a bummer (making DS4 really good for pc gaming). the UI blows the shit out of the XMB from ps3 as well

BUT ITS A SHAME IT ONLY HAS LIKE 3 GAMES RIGHT NOW

Tennis was actually invented by Africans.

Why, dhat do you think they even called their capital city?!

Byzantium? That's from an ancient myth, only known to a few scholars. Costantinople? That's the way they called it in the West!

No, Eastern Romans simply called it "New Rome".

whoa son

I'd get a used PS4 if it was fairly cheap, but it doesn't seem like there's enough behind it to actually be worth it even if we ignore the fact that there's no games.

way i see it, if you can get it for a reasonable price, any console is worth owning save for the xbone for a handful of certain exclusives

in ps4s case its bloodborne and future yakuza games and of course weeb stuff, granted those are all slowly getting pc ports. the quality of the ports is a gamble. i know if the ports are reported bad i just get console versions

We may start calling consoles, the exclusive's tax.

There's always emulation, even if newer shit isn't covered by that yet. And since cartridge consoles have custom pcb to allow roms to be played, it'll take a lot to seem good by comparison.

consoles still hold power in being more convenient for local multiplayer than a PC. that is if there were more games with fucking local multiplayer options

How old i feel now
Man i cant believe it

unfortunately fatbox, 360, and ps3 are probably all a long way from being emulated

i wouldn't be surprised if xbone and ps4 get emulated before those

I remember hearing the Wii has fairly decent emulation under Dolphin.

It does.
I first played Muramasa on the Dolphin.

That's not something to be proud of.

Noice

That's who I was reffering to in the first place. For us, no game is too old to be played, provided you have the necessary things to run it.

I was referring to the videogame dumbass, why would I be talking about actual sport?

I try to support emulation wherever I can even though I much prefer the actual hardware.

I believe that emulation is the first step in hobbyist reproduction hardware.
You might say "what's the point" but I always found it silly when people gut an old gameboy to put a Raspberry Pi and a full color LCD screen in the thing.

I like trying to preserve original hardware and machines.

The only time gutting systems even makes "sense" is when it's completely fucked and there's no way to replace it.

Quick, another thing to blame on video games! They can make you old!

OP, you forgot to add "feel" before "old". Or this is cheap bait and I have just bitten it.

Lmao what movie is this from

Can't get enough of that Paul Rudd

Counter challenge shitbird, try finding me ONE single game, thats right, ONE, from the year of our lord Kutaragi 1997, that has bad music.

extreme mode: restrict your selection to saturn games only

It's from a Tim and Eric skit called Celery Man

ah too bad, thought there was one of his movies I hadn't seen yet ;(

lets all go for some BJs

Well, I guess it's better than no friends

What on gods green earth is this from

I've tried to convey this thought in many different threads and in some streams and videos over the years and I feel like I keep failing to do so.

Video games are works of fiction and like all works of fiction the time frame in which they were created plays a big role in how they should be consumed and perceived. I find this especially true for speculative sci-fi (looking into the future) and horror. I'm talking games, movies, and even books.

With video games, which is a visual medium, a good amount of what goes into the experience of the game is the visual look, the graphics. I like to tend to argue that for a good amount of games the original graphics and maybe even the original resolutions and hardware interface (controller or keyboard and mouse) are really the only ways you're going to get a true experience.

So the REmake game, to me, is an impressive upgrade but it doesn't offer the same sort of experience that the original RE game did. Not only is the camp B-movie aspect taken out of it but there are things about the graphical changes that make them almost too good for the game it is.
In another vein, I argue that you can't really make the same games as Zelda:OoT or Majora's Mask (maybe especially MM) in, say, the graphical stylings of Twilight Princess.
While it seems like they would fit together, I contend that it is the low fidelity of the graphics of OoT and MM that add to the entirety of that game's tone and mood. "Better" textures and more realistic looking objects in the game would only detract.
While people may argue that the more "realistic" the graphics the easier you can be "immersed" in the game I hold that immersion isn't entirely a matter of self insertion. I would argue that immersion really isn't all that important at all. Those faggots who wanted to kill themselves because of the world of the movie of "Avatar" were immersed. No, INVESTMENT is far more important than immersion. I don't have to be immersed in something to fully experience it and be invested in it.

To add to all of this, I would also say that certain stories can't be told outside of the time periods they are set in and come from. To digress from video games for a moment, I want you all to just consider the TV show "The X Files".
It deals with all sorts of spooky stories of supernatural and conspiratorial shit set in the times it was made (the 90s) and I would say that those stories can't work in modern times. About 90% of what happens in X-files would fall apart because of modern technology. Cellphone cameras, instant access internet, etc etc. These stories of spooky shit only work if the evidence can be covered up, obscured, or otherwise just non-existent beyond the experiences of our characters.
This can easily be extrapolated towards video game stories as well. Resident Evil 1 and 2 holds tension in the 90's.
Not so much in the days of constant super available communication.
The ideas of a town that is overrun, infested, and fucked over by zombies in a modern setting would mean there would be NO resident evil 2. Everybody would know exactly what is happening as it is happening and Leon would have never went into the city to start his first day of cop duty.

Brazil. It's worth watching.

Music tastes are largely objective. They also evolve and change over time.
This is a dumb task.

sorry your wrong faget
everything from that year is god tier and u know it

I don't really remember the year of 1997 all that clearly.

yeh probably cos u were still swimming around in my scrote at the time

Ah, but as you say, they are works of fiction, and the player knows it, meaning he should be able to put on the "setting glasses" and do away with most of the problems you mentioned. When I set a story in the middle ages, the player also doesn't expect the character to call about an emergency to the king with his iphone. When I write a sci-fi (and am not a complete hack), the player won't dig too deep into why something wouldn't work and so on. It's called the suspension of disbelief, and as long as you have a competent writer (who get rarer and rarer these days), the time period doesn't really present a hindrance.

It's essentailly a matter of a "different world". One understands that some things wouldn't be possible, etc., but in the world he is presented with in the game, they are possible, and the player accepts that (again, unless your writing is dogshit)

I was born in 1986.

The issue with games has never been the setting. The problem is the aged and cumbersome design and control schemes. We become used to clean and responsive controls and mechanics, and going back to older stuff can be frustrating.

Ehhh…I think it kind of goes beyond that. Again, a good amount of what I said has to go with the visual medium of it all when it comes to video games.
But then again, i'm not a fan of photorealism as a replacement for style. So I might be biased.

But lets go with story and visuals.
Yes, there are some things people might understand about certain settings simply because of what those settings are but consider the story itself.

I contend that many of Lovecraft's stories won't work outside of the late 1920's early to mid 1930s. Simply because of the attitudes and technological state of the time.
The attitudes were very PRO science for the most part and the western world had believed themselves to be on the cusp of discovering all there was in the world. There was this certainty about things that the Lovecraft stories are exploiting to provide its horror.
On top of that, the stories simply don't work in a modern day if you were you transplant them. Being lowered down into a darkened ancient Egyptian tomb doesn't work for someone who has a cellphone flashlight.

But lets consider sci-fi for a moment. If you haven't done this I want you to take a look at sci-fi from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and now that all deal with glimpses into the future. Dystopian and utopian alike.
How you view the future has a whole lot to do with how your current time is. Your present is the lens and this goes for nearly everything.

This somewhat holds true and I would argue that as a person gets older they tend to have different priorities in their life that affect what they require from video game entertainment.
For instance, I don't think I can REALLY stomach any given JRPG these days when in my younger days I could drill through them in a week. Hours upon hours of playing through them until I beat them and these things were minimum 60 hours to defeat.
These days? if a cutscene or dialogue is going beyond 2 or 3 minues before letting me play the game again i'm already bored and thinking of all the other things I could and SHOULD be doing with my time.

Can't say I agree. 90% of the time, the scheme is very similar, or is merely a matter of getting used to, which happens in the span of the first hour. (granted, I play solely on PC, so this might be different for consoles)

I was just thinking earlier how I got my Dreamcast 16 years ago this month…

I have actually read Lovecraft, and I'd say his stories still work. See, you keep imposing the reader/player into the egyptian tomb, when, in fact, it's the character. And the reader becomes the character - he doesn't even consider the existence of a phone, since it doesn't make sense for the setting. In a good book, you really "immerse" yourself (disregard how much that word got shitted up by hipsters lately) and stop being aware of the world around you, stop seeing the words on a page, and instead see what your imagination produces using the text as a blueprint. The present, the current technology, all that stuff just doesn't matter and doesn't even come to mind during that time.

I'm not much of a sci-fi reader, but I did read Orwell's 1984, and it definitely did work for me. Was the technology weird at times? Sure. Did it in any way lessen the experience? No. You just roll with it. I distinctly remember getting pissed off and frustrated several times while I read it, due to the events of the book, so again, as I said, it still worked perfectly well.

Green day fucking sucks.

That's true for most games made after 2004, but the further back you go the more awkward they can get. There was a time when WASD was considered to be an "alternative" control scheme.

From a technical standpoint, you can't say that newer games and systems haven't improved drastically over their forerunners. For example, the camera controls on modern games are much better than those on PS2 or PS1 era games.

That's a very broad generalization when examples of good and bad animation, mechanics, and controls can be cited from any given year. What you've gotten used to is the coddling, handholding design of modern games.

I think you're misunderstanding what i'm trying to convey on a fundamental level. That may be my fault.

What i'm saying is you can't transplant Lovecraft's stories into the world of 2016.
You can't transplant 90% of the X-files stories into the world of 2016 (for many of the same reasons).

Furthermore, take the consideration of the attitudes at the time of someone reading that story. Even with the character and what not.

Lovecraft's story of Dagon doesn't translate well to the attitudes of someone reading it in today's modern age. yes…there is the character's view but one must also consider intended audience.
The audience of the 20's and 30's are certain in the mastery of man over the ocean.
The idea of some island coming up out of nowhere and some fish monster gods being there is coming in on the fear of the unknown in a realm that should be absolutely known. No matter how absurd. Same thing with Cthulu really.
However, consider our modern audience. most people, and this includes normalfags, realize that the ocean is FULL of shit we don't know about.

Or lets take another view/story.
There are plenty of lovecraft stories that deal with what could be considered someone discovering the remnants of some ancient alien civilization or creature. These days is that going to be really that shocking to a reader?

I remember that time, and I also remember that after an hour, I was perfectly used to playing with arrow keys. It really is mainly an issue of getting used to an alternate (usually a bit worse, but still perfectly functional) control scheme.

I never said they didn't. The systems definitely are more polished, easier to control, but they also tend to be sparingly used and watered down. Take stealth games, for example: Thief has been around for almost two decades, yet its stealth mechanics are still practically unsurpassed in complexity (despite not really being that complex in the first place)

But why would you ever want to do that? It would be like transporting the legend of king Arthur to modern times; it's just nonsense and I see no reason whatsoever to want something like that.

I think you place too much weight on the particular contrasts, when they actually aren't that relevant. The idea of something unknown rising from the deeps is as scary to a person of today as to one from the 30's, mastery of the ocean be damned.

Ah, but Lovecraft's stories don't tend to be about trying to shock, more like slowly creeping onto him. Again, I think you're focusing too much on the concept rather than the actual execution - finding a lost civilisation isn't going to shock anyone, no matter the time period, by itself. The actual important bit that scares and shocks and whatever are how that particular civilisation looks like, what it left behind, what caused it to disappear, etc. Let me provide an example with… say, "the mystery of amigara fault" (pretty known here, which is why I pick it). The concept of finding human-shaped holes like that doesn't really bring much fear or shock, merely curiosity. Then we get more in detail, and have the holes have a shape that perfectly matches certain people, and have it estabilished that nobody knows where they lead or what's on the other side. The curiosity peaks, and the reader is interested, rather than afraid, although some beginnings of unease start to creep up. Then we get to the part when the character actually enters the hole himself, which is when the curiosity ebbs away, and gives place to the unease, as the reader imagines the constrained space, the cold stone, the changing shape, everything. Then we get to the story's end, where the whole mystery is solved, showing a rather graphic horror, something to keep it etched in the reader's mind for a while.

As you can see, the terror rests in the execution, not in the concept. And the execution is fairly timeless, easily translating into any time period - after all, getting trapped in a dark hole you can't get out of, powerless and without hope of rescue, is as scary to a modern man as it was to a caveman.

The only thing that makes me feel old is how long it's been since I got laid.

RIP, fam.

Zelda is from 30 years ago

Sonic, 25 years

Ok, I see plenty of your points but let me counter a bit.

I wouldn't personally want to transplant these stories from their settings but this happens time and again and over and over. You see this mainly in movie remakes but in video games it takes the form of a graphical update.

In video games, however, you don't have it that pronounced. Honestly, the only true things I can think of that deal with this is like the REMake. Video games haven't exactly caught up with the "remake everything" hysteria that hollywood has been doing for the past decade.
The other instance would be DmC but DmC isn't trying to repurpose the same story to a modern setting so much as its trying to be a completely new franchise starting point.

At any rate, I get what you're saying but I can't 100% agree. It boils down to a few things for me.
The timeframe in which the fiction was made.
The timeframe in which the fiction was set in (are we looking at the past, present, or future)
which should inform what the intended audience and their attitudes should/would be.

Lets bring it back to video games though. if Resident Evil 2 was made in 2016 and takes place in 2016 my first thought is "Why aren't you calling anybody on your cellphone!?" and that's the entire fucking thing.
You have to realize that as the ages progressed they brought Resident Evil into more and more modern territory and that is why we had to go from a localized threat to a GLOBAL one.
That is why RE4, 5, 6, take place in ever increasing and expanding global ways. To remove the benefits of that instant communication.
That's also why the zombies had to become "smarter".

Sonic 2, i remember when it was released. I was 7 back them. Good memories.

the peak of video games was so many years ago

I think the problem with op's list is that those games are used today in general conversation as genre defining games.

god tier taste user

que?

I don't have the time to play through every PS1 game, there is over a thousand. Besides the average game FEAR is consistently loved by newer players who ever bothered to play it. The biggest hurdle4s for most is graphics and/or FPS , and the fact that their hand has been held for so long that a game that doesn't do that makes them feel like idiots.

Besides you need a controller, playing any game designed for a controller on a keyboard is retarded.

WE

You were born in 1964? You really are old, user

Someone post the cheevos thing.

Computer, boot up celery man.

Fuck I'm old…

I still have my EGM magazine on Mass Effect. I was really fucking hyped for it and I did enjoy the fuck out of that game. ME 2 retcons killed it for me

16 years ago was 2000

Oregon Trail was 45 years ago.

Yes. I'd argue the advent of Facebook and "webapps" killed it too.

Facebook alone didn't kill it, but it was a huge contributor after 2007. In 2007 the iPhone was released, and suddenly tens of millions of unwashed normalfags were connected to the internet. Facebook facilitated their furor, but it was the iPhone that gave them access. These were people who before the iPhone had never laid hands on a computer in their lives, and never had anything to do with the internet (much less video games).

Pre-2007 internet was a wondrous place of dreams. Post-2007 internet is a wretched hive of botnets, advertisement, and cuck porn.

Our only hope for the future is exterminatus. The current internet needs to be nuked from orbit, and a new internet must be constructed elsewhere under the basic premise of denying normalfags access.

Nice try dividing east and west again fag.

Rainbow six: Rogue spear is almost 17 years old.

Rainbow six 3, the last good rainbow six game, and one of the last good tactical shooters is 13.

Pretty much the last good tactical shooter, swat 4, is also 11 years ago already.

Yeah, it has not been a good decade for tactical shooters.

At least UT4 is doing pretty well. Well made game, actually well optimized and quite good. Its one of the only new games I am currently liking a lot.

Me and my friends still play Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag Tournament on MAME like it came out yesterday.
The former came out 19 years ago and the latter 17 years ago.

I know for a long time that Super Mario 3 and Battletoads/Double Dragon made me feel old. I got past that in 2010.

Now, Resident Evil 4 makes me feel old. That game's 12 and has had countless ports and HD glosses.

All of the Resident Evil games make me feel old, really. I thought their static backgrounds were the height of graphic realism then and I'm still impressed with how good the ones since part 2 looked. The first game is an exception because the rooms have very bad use of shading so they look little better than an early rendering of the Utah Teapot and the rooms have glaringly sparse decoration (the fireplace room only has two chairs in it, what's up with that?).

I'm not going to deny that the iPhone had a big effect, but the effect it had was not what you're describing. That's what AOL did many years earlier. Pretending that iTards never touched the internet before 2007 is naive and misleading.

The iPhone just made the internet instantly accessible from everywhere. This led to an explosion of narcissistic selfies, photos of mundane shit, unfiltered stream of consciousness from morons, and culture and services that sprang up glorifying these things.

It's probably an even greater cancer than you made it out to be. Smartphones have ruined an entire generation of humanity, never mind their influence on video games.

I'd say social media is what ruined the newer generations, even though myspace was already cancerous what exists now is just a whole new level to the point it created SJWs.

If you don't have control of rome, you don't get to call yourself a roman empire.

Oh look, its one of the faggots that were part of the problem and the beginning of the fall of 4chan.

Good job, faggot.

im sure you were as well

I joined cuckchan when i was 13 by clicking a link from fchan trying to look for furry porn

You can't beat my cancer powerlevel.

I showed up to 4chan in 2004 after a friend in school sent me a picture link over AIM.

Contain your autism

At least myspace started out under the idea of being creative. People used it to make and share music and shit, and it eventually grew into the proto-social-network with all of the friends lists and pulling in people who didn't create anything.

I agree with the narcissism too. You've both reminded me of the Animator's Survival Kit and how people stopped wanting to create art and started wanting to BE art. Millenials are going to be regarded by history as the worst generation of sociopathic narcissists the Western world has ever witnessed. I'll be surprised if the "West" survives them at all, seeing as how they're so hellbent to destroying their own culture and importing Arab culture.

Can you feel it, Holla Forums?

As far as I'm concerned, I slipped into a parallel dimension from the summer of 2006. Everything just felt different and off past then. Not just in Vidya, but with life in general. Might as well post.

really? because you act like a 2007babby

DOOM was made 23 years ago.
And I still play it.

stop the meme

To this day I've never watched the second Dark Knight movie because the first was so underwhelming.

You mean the first as in Batman Begins, or The Dark Knight?
Batman Begins is probably the best in the series, TDK has a cool villain and all but they tried to shove way too much into the plot and it just feels like a cluster fuck, its convoluted as all hell too and has some of the worst audio work I've ever seen. Don't bother.

It's called The Dark Knight Trilogy, but I'm talking about Batman Begins. Anyways I never watched the other ones even though Bane became a huge meme. I could stand to watch them if they were like an hour shorter, maybe, but when I think about the time I spend working and going to school I'd rather spend the rest watching anime and playing video games than watching meme movies.

The opening scene to TDKR is the only important part anyway, the other 2 hours and 40 minutes is just boring exposition about some dude who dresses as a bat.

who would have thought that in the future instead of flying cars we got a magical brick that talks to machines watching us from outer space