Holla Forums what are some good free FOSS multiplayer games we can play together?

Holla Forums what are some good free FOSS multiplayer games we can play together?

linux compatible

Ya blew it

The Battle for Wesnoth

www.wesnoth.org

Xonotic
OpenArena
Minetest
FreeCiv

This is the only right answer, but the game is good because of the singleplayer, it just happens to have optional multiplayer that works

Also
>>>/lv/

thanks Holla Forums I might do that with you eventually

Xonotic
Minetest

I don't know of any others that are good and actually played unfortunately. UT4 is close since it's "Open Source and Free" with the free part being gratis, not libre.

xonoitc is arena shooter?

does Holla Forums still play that?

There's usually a general for it but I honestly haven't played in months I like UT4's weapons and maps more, noone will ever make a gun more fun than the flak cannon

Minetest

Urban Terror
Open Arena

Why aren't there any free RPGs? More than that, why aren't there any free multiplayer RPGs?

Get in niggers

but thats not free or linux

Doom

Super Tux Kart
MULTIPLAYER NEVER EVER
Stepmania
Serious Sam
Zandronum/GZDoom
Quakespasm/Darkplaces

search your repository of fun gaems

It is completely free you twit

How

there's a fork of the serious engine that allows you to build it under ganoo+loonix

however building it is complete space magic and the instructions fuck up because WHO THE FUCK MADE THIS, THE CMAKELIST ISNT EVEN THERE, THEY DIDNT EVEN LIST THE DEPENDENCIES!

what!?

is it linux and free?

how is this possible?

He means free as in open source, not free beer.

I wanted free as in free bear and foss

are you trying to anger the stallgod with that?

Gratis != libre

if "free beer free" was the only free that mattered we might as well just play UT4 instead of Xonotic, but there's an important difference there.

Open Source != free, UT4 is open source but it certainly isn't free. There's even paid programs that are open source and aren't even free beer free (like many game engines).

You mean free as in libre or non proprietary

Free either means that it does not cost money to legally acquire, or that you are free to modify and redistribute it at your whim. Whether you can look at the code used to create it does not change either of those things, it can make it easier to modify but it won't change your legal right to redistribute it.

I can't take the source for Unreal Tournament 4, change some stuff, call it Schmunreal Schmournament and put it on a website for everyone to download because that code is copyrighted. I can however take the source for Xonotic and make a fork of it. This is a very important distinction.

guys what we really want is free as in every sense of the word.

ALL the frees.

if its foss but costs money, wtf
if it doesn't cost money but its not foss wtf

gotta be free and free and free and free in every way

you get it?

we want the free-est

Well, technically if it's open source and I can modify+redistribute it however I want, but I have to make one time payment to get a copy, it's still acceptable.
After all, I can get it from somebody else who bought it, in this case.

Honestly, freedoms to study, modify and redistribute are more important than actually being open source.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

OpenTTD, I've played it with 8ch before. It was okay, I guess. Agreeing on NewGRFs is the hardest part.

How can you study or modify it if you don't have access to the source code?

By reverse engineering it. Analyzing machine code, changes in memory, etc.
It's obviously much harder, but still technically possible. Unlike with software that gives you proprietary open source code just to have an excuse to accuse competition of code-theft if they release a similar product.

excellent point

SPOTTED THE ANTI FOSS ANTI FREEDOM SHILL

ROBOCRAFT

looking up a few pictures, it looks cool.
Tell me more.

do you have a single fact to back that up?

>Free Cash shop
Enjoy entertaining autistic Polish neets.

yes anons, what is robocraft? sounds fun?

bump for interest in playing with Holla Forums

I'm loling out loud.

cmon bro

You brought it on yourself to be completely tbh.

m8 just go to the Xonotic and Mineytesta threads