Pokemon World Championships

THE 2016 POKEMON WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS HAVE BEGUN!

A three day long tournament that will decide who is the very best, like no one ever was.

Because by the end of Sunday we will have a Pokemon World Champion for this year. Some hot Pokemon battles are about to ensue, the action should be tight (or it will be nothing but mirror matches because muh big 6).

Well there is the Main Channel which will be showing various coverage from the Video Game to the Trading Card Game, and even the first Pokken champion will be determined on this channel on one of the days:
pokemonchampionships.com/

And if you don't give a fuck about the Trading Card Game, there is a pure Video Game Championships (VGC) channel:
pokemonchampionships.com/video-game-championship-series

Will Japan dominate again like they did last year? Will the Big 6 reign supreme or will a counter-Big-6 team surprise everyone? Will that cute Xernas girl from Nationals show up? There is only one way to find out!

Other urls found in this thread:

serebii.net/vgc/2016.shtml
nuggetbridge.com/blogs/entry/1391-a-history-of-japanese-competitive-pokemon-1996-and-1997/
nuggetbridge.com/blogs/entry/496-japans-battle-road-gloria-circuit-qualifiers-complete-team-details-and-usage-statistics/
nuggetbridge.com/blogs/entry/500-japans-battle-road-gloria-national-finals-results-team-details-statistics-and-review/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The top 8 in Pokken will probably have more different Pokemon than the actual VGC.

Schedule for the main channel:
Friday:
9:00 a.m.: Opening Ceremony
10:00 a.m.–1:45 p.m.: VGC Swiss rounds
1:45–5:30 p.m.: TCG Swiss Rounds
6:00–9:00 p.m.: VGC Swiss rounds
Saturday:
9:00 a.m.–11:00 a.m.: VGC Swiss Rounds
11:00 a.m.–12:15 p.m.: Pokkén Tournament Senior Division Finals
12:45–4:30 p.m.: Pokémon TCG Swiss Rounds
4:30–5:45 p.m.: Pokkén Tournament Masters Division Finals
6:00–10:00 p.m.: VGC Top Cut
Sunday:
9:00 a.m.: Pokémon TCG Junior Division Finals
Immediately following: Pokémon TCG Senior Division Finals
Immediately following: Pokémon TCG Masters Division Finals
30-minute break
Immediately following: VGC Junior Division Finals
Immediately following: VGC Senior Division Finals
Immediately following: VGC Masters Division Finals

Schedule for VGC Channel:
Friday:
10:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m.: VGC Swiss Rounds
Saturday:
9:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.: VGC Swiss Rounds
5:00–8:30 p.m.: VGC Top Cut
Sunday:
Off Air

Given the presence of Japanese players I'm sure we'll see some more interesting teams than Nationals.

Why do I want to watch the same 8 (at best) pokemon fight each other over and over again?

We had a thread for the last tournament, whichever it was

Every battle it was mirror mega khan/xerneas with the same moves

Yeah, because there weren't any Ray/Ogre teams. Also: That was American Nationals. Of course there was little to no creativity. Japan is playing this time, we're bound to see some weird shit that shouldn't work but does.

>Actually watching these autists compete

E-sports are already trash by definition but this is rock fucking bottom right here

My body Regigigas

I hope you're not expecting to see any Charizards. They don't play on anime rules.

Sadly we have another 30 minutes until the first match. Still, you're in time for the opening ceremony.

It's not RNG if you have moves with 100% accuracy and 100% chance to inflict status. It's calculated risk.

Though I was pissed when my Mega Sharpedo missing an Ice Fang (95% accuracy) lost me a match.

Isn't it supposed to be the stupid Americans with the bullshit shouldn't work but does mentality and the Japs with the rigorously calculated perfect team setup? What happened?

Well, if you say so. I wont say I know much about current meta and stuff, I havent played a pokemon game since gen 4 but all the tournaments I've watched are mirror teams, every time not even good mons only megas and legendaries with broken moves like geomancy
Also this

At least smogon makes matches a bit more diverse and entertaining

Just get the fuck out cuck.

Extremely nice quads. Surprisingly Japs like to have fun with their video games, meanwhile Americans end up trying way too hard.

Triple Battles should be the only format.

Of course not, this is VGC2016 so Big 6: Mom and the Legends edition. I was here for the American National and even though I don't play VGC myself, I am somewhat aware of what is meta and what isn't. I miss VGC 2014 were Charizard as a decent pick

It is okay, that how it was last time

Were you guys here for the American National? The first day was the best one. I think this one will be the same. On a side note, I want the art they are using for the waiting screen.

Maybe next year, who knows what is gonna happen next year. They might even make it only New dex mons like they did when X/Y came out.

I agree on all fronts, day one is always the most fun. Also that art is super cute. I'm such a mark for Snorlax.

fixed that for you

I mean, that's how things are regular tournaments have a set of less than 10 mons and smogon, on the highest tier on its worst moment, had around 25. Dont just resort to memes and try to have a decent discussion

user, if you really think there are only 10 mons in the meta you're a fucking moron. There are popular sets, but in VGC there is no set Meta, you can do whatever you want and it absolutely can work. You know absolutely nothing, you're shitting up my thread, and I'm not debating it with you. Lurk moar and comment less smogonfag.

Make up your mind. The point is that any competition where skill takes a backseat to random bullshit is dumb.

Oooh, new mon announcement. Derpy Crab.

Nice.

I really hope that's TPC's way of saying "we're gonna shake up the meta with gen 7". Seems like it based on the abilities and types we've been seeing.

Im just judging from what I've seen. Also I never said you have to use the same mons, but if you have mega khan why would you use any other physical sweeper. At best you see one different mon to fill in some support rolefor the other 5

Some stuff's just broken and it's sad seeing it on every single match. Also, this again

I love the charmander, 100% cute

Which one will you guys watching? The one with the autistic commentators for the pure video one?

Pretty sure both have commentary.

I'd suggest main channel for the Swiss rounds they're about to show, then switch up to VGC when main goes TGC.

How come we've never had an Holla Forums pokemon tournament?

metafags will ruin it for everyone

You haven't seen shit from Worlds. It sounds like you watched two matches from Nationals on the last day and made your judgement. Mega Khan is shit in several circumstances and there are far better mons to use. Again: you're showing your smogonfag nature and assuming everything will be OU. Just shut up and watch the matches, you can bitch when you actually see something to bitch about.

I'm blocking you so you can stop derailing now.

Board is filled with filthy casual showdownfags

We had one sponsored by user, he gave a money price

alright then

I think we had one. I dont think most people here own a 3ds anyway

so thats five monsters for my moon team
lightning stagbeetle
fairy beefly
water silverfish/woodlouse
plant mantis that even fools the typing system
and now this crab,

if it evolves theres to ways to go: become a mantis shrimp, or put some poisonous anemone on the claws like the boxer crab.

6th mon for now is the starter (tentatively the owl). alola raichu, landmine turtle, ghost dance bird and sandcastle ghost may be filler spots until i have the arthropods. If theres actually a sixth one, thisll be the first time a bench my starter

incidentally, custom tournaments a re sun/moon feature.

Oh… I'm one of them. I haven't played 6th gen anyway, so whatever.

I hate 2v2. Is it going to be 2v2 again?

VGC is always Doubles

How do they get so much funding to put on something so boring

One of the best features from gen 5 and they totally ignore it in competitions. They could easily have one bracket for doubles and another for triples.

VGC is always 2v2 bring-six-choose-four.

Hopefully next time it's Inverse Rotation Item Launcher.

VGC has been doubles since ever

Trips fucking sucks user

They're event only Pokemon, aka not everybody has access to them
You have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Fuck off.

You realize that the format isn't always bring cover legendaries, right? This is kind of a big blow out where they're letting people go all out. Last year cover legends were banned. The format changes every year. Quit your bitching.

there should be moves that deal damage and then let the user swap position with a team mate. just that side swap psychic move isnt enough

He does realize it, he's just here to shitpost like most casuals.

Actually, nevermind, I confused triple battles with those awful rotation battles

k

Yeah, I should probably quit responding to such easy bait.

Sorry this fast and furious format doesn't satisfy your endless PP stall needs.

Gee, user. So are you telling me that people generally use the best available Pokemon on their teams? Almost like if, you know, they wanna win? Because it's a tourney? Because there's a metagame?

Man, I wouldn't have realized if you haven't said so. You should get hired by TCPi and start managing the game yourself considering you are so smart.

Well, to be fair Primal Groudon + Xerneas The Metagame is boring as hell so he has a point there even if he's just an ignorant shitposting casual. Last year wasn't even 1/4 as bad despite what Japandomination might want you to think. Primals were a mistake, it they had disallowed them this year would have been as fun as VGC10 was.

If it is so boring and predictable why aren't you there then? Must be easy for a originality master like you right.

And yet you are here watching it and bitching about it.

To be fair VGC 2014 was godly in terms of Pokemon viability. They should have made VGC 2015 be Hoenn dex only, like 2014 was Kalos dex only.

Using the same handful of legendaries that have megas, only deviating to use stuff that synergizes with those megas, is boring as shit
There's a reason why they're normally banned you fucking idiot

They also didn't exist up until after VGC 2015 started, you fucking idiot.

Again: the meta this year is special. It's the last year before Gen 7 comes along and changes everything. They wanted to let people actually use the Primals before the gen ended. It makes sense. Not every year has to be the same. Pretty sure there was definitely a big 6 last year, pretty sure they were still dominant, pretty sure that's how it happens every year.

Read above: It's just the format they wanted to use this year, and it makes sense as a send off to gen 6. Either stop bitching like a little baby about the format before the first match is even on, or go do something better with your time then watch a Meta you dislike while bitching about it.

That doesn't make it any better

I thought that VGC 2015 Big Six was caused by the Genies

It was. That was a stupid fucking decision to let them in.

It's starting

More entertaining than the tournament, to be sure.

What, Im not blocked?
I have nothing against the competition, I wouldnt be here if I wasnt going to watch it. No need to get so aggresive with people that doesnt agree 100% with you

triples isnt really good, doubles allow for enough extra depth and tactics, three mons is just, overdoing really but people like it so whatever

god I hate genies

That's like saying a tournament of 6 mewtwos vs 6 mewtwos would have been a good idea to send off gen 1
It would have been a waste of everyone's time, and redundant since mewtwo didn't stop existing after gen 1

I know. I'm not complaining about a bloo bloo legends and of course every metagame will have defining teams or Pokemon. That's how it is every year.

Hell, I actually wanted VGC10 2.0 for years and was very disappointed but how it didn't happen during Gen 5 so when it happened this time I was very excited but Primal Groudon + Xerneas are way too dominant even for my tastes.

14 didn't have a big 6 as far I remember and CHALK only happened during Worlds when Japan came and buttraped everyone.

No. VGC15 Big Six happened because Japan focused on consistent teams that could do and deal with a little bit of everything while the rest of the world focused on overspecialized teams with one or two mons that could check a huge exploitable weakness their teams had.

god damnit

Thanks to your response I feel compelled to reply myself. I appreciate the (me).

I hope you spewed your Muk on her butthole.

it's like pottery

NOPE. I never said anything close to that. Cute try though. It would be as though I said "They should have had a tournament to end gen 1 and gen 2 that allowed 1 Mewtwo", and frankly I do think that would be nice. Sure, a lot of people would use Curse Submission Mewtwo in gen 2, but there are also plenty of counters, and that is what a good meta is about: Checks and counters.

MEANWHILE ON THE POKKEN STREAM

Well even the commentators know rgn win games

A friendly remiender that Luck is a legit skill

Reported.

smh fam

RNG keeps Pokemon interesting

Those are some cool shades.

It's a shame the kid got completely blown the fuck out.

Why play matches when we can go through the entire meta recap

So when are they starting?

The one with hairs is stoned, i think.

They should have started by now, but it's sounding like they're having a hard time sorting everything out since this is such a big worlds. Soon though.

music starting so I guess now?

Unlimited league format was fun -but fuck everything up to Regional events.

pls

Gee, it's almost as if it's not the format's fault and that it's people that are the problem.

Or maybe it's just impossible to balance the amount of options there are in either game

1v1 me

Thankfully nobody lives forever

Stop defending CCGs, faggot.

I actually doubt that; nerf the blatantly overpowered shit and people will be far more resourceful.

Who the fuck cares? They'll probably use a retarded offset of Smogons rules .

Wow only 1 pokemon can be put so sleep so much for status effects! Can't use evasion altering moves either even though there's moves abilities and items to mitigate it. Nope! It's 'unfun' even though it's a competition

Crits exist
Fuck off

hush man, dont say things like that in public or the safe space police will arrest you

You're fucking retarded. Kill yourself.

And the new overpowered shit will pop-out because the old overpowered shit will be unusable after the nerfs.

Balance is a myth. No game with competitive or metagame will ever be balanced.

You are a ignorant retard.

STILL WAITING

Competitive pokemon is a fucking joke.

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY ready to start.

What?

The only rules are that there's a handful of banned pokemon. Everything possible in-game is legal.

you're fucking retarded, kill yourself

Nah, people are lazy faggots and will always end up centralizing the meta.

Cry more. Pic related.

And yet you babies still probably won't shut up and just watch.

Which are entirely arbitrary
Also "anything goes" is a smogon ruleset too, fucko

Do you also defend microtransactions and freemium games, you cancerous piece of shit?

That has literally nothing to do with what we're talking about you retard. Also:

Let me guess it's a legendary that's banned?

Not a problem because it's virtually impossible to get perfect IVs on a legendary without cheating. It'd have high BSTs but be impossible to maximize. They also have a limited move pool making them non versatile

Excuse me, sir, you appear to have gotten lost on the way to Twitter.

Funny, because I had assumed we were talking about how shitty the meta is for these games, and the one I was addressing was the CCG, its bad meta being an inherent part of its very nature.

Stop defending this shit.

Finally a match starts

Nice.

Fun Allowed

thread theme
autism intensified

I wasn't defending shit, I was stating that people are faggots who over-centralize everything competitive, and it's true. Stop crying like a baby. Also it's TCG not CCG, there is not Pokemon CCG.

He fucked up

Of course. They want to win at a poorly balanced game (intentionally imbalanced in the case of a CCG) and therefore use the parts that are poorly balanced. That's the game's fault.

Please enumerate the differences between a "Trading Card Game" and "Collectible Card Game".

There is no difference, but one is the official name for the Pokemon TCG. No one knows what the fuck you're saying when you say Pokemon CCG, Magic nerd.

DRACO METEOR CRIT

RNG keeps Pokemon FUN

FULL METRONOME TEAM WHEN?

I want to make a pokemon gym team in case they actually have a pokemon gym online creation feature that isn't Omega ruby's secret base cop-out. Where do I start?

I like bugs, ghosts and dragons.

I'd start by picking a strategy you like. If you're going bug/ghost/dragon which is a fun type combo and could work fine I'd maybe suggest some toxic/curse stalling, with some rest talk shenanagins, But I've been playing a lot of gen 2 and that shit was dominant then. Research some strategies and see which ones you like and then develop them. Watching today's matches should show you some strats, but other than that I'm not too sure where to research. The only really detailed source right now is Smogon but Smogon limits it's self in weird ways which make it's meta and it's strategies rather slim. Still, you could start there, or you could just look at mons you like, moves they get, and build in the simulator from there. Check out the simulator on Pokemon Showdown and you can even play against other players there.

lel

Good to know I wasn't the only one who caught that.

Sadly there's no bug/ghost or bug/dragon you can use (and one ghost/dragon you can't).

I don't hate, I just think that's a super autistic thing to say. Pretty sure the interviewer showed a visual cringe when he said that.

Go ask >>>/furry/

So main channel has switched to TCG. If you don't give a shit about cards then switch to the VCG channel for more matches.

I keep trying to put put my mouse over the stream to see the cards better since that's how it works on the online client.

I was thinking of making a type only team for each.

Bug i've already got down.

Volcarona, Scoliopede , Galvantula, Scizor, Mega Stone Heracross, Yanmega.

Scizor and Heracross are the main attackers, Volcarona and Galvantula are pure damage on the special side of the scale, and Scoliopede and Yanmega are great attackers in their own right, but their main purpose is in a support role, with Scolio being on baton pass duty to pass on his speed boost when things get tough, and Yanmega's Tinted Lens makes him a great neutral fighter that allows him to break through near any wall.

The general idea of bugs is that they work together to support the hive, so this is a good team themewise.

Now it's time for spooky ghosts, who have a very different way to play.

I'm thinking Gengar, Chandelure, Trevenant with Harvest and a Sitrus Berry (he can be a complete dick in battle and has tons of HP absorb moves), Aegislash, Golurk and Mimikyu

In a double battle, you'd start out with Gengar and Golurk, and Golurk would use the classic Earthquake flyer strategy. Beyond that, you'd need to work with all of the tricks that ghost mons have, what with Gengar's sleep and sweep, Trevenant's dick-ass constant drain move shit with a double Sitrus berry from Harvest, Chandelure's outright special attack, Aegislash's King's Shield strat, and Mimikyu's a cute strategy.

on a off topic note, I got wrecked by a team of fairies about an hour ago.

Clefable has access to cosmic power, and the fairy type in general has constant access to psyche up. They seriously got fucking BUFFED in Gen 6. It's great.

are their any clauses or rules for the championship or anything goes?

serebii.net/vgc/2016.shtml

Basically it's anything goes aside from no same Pokes or Items, no Soul Dew, and a few small restrictions such as only 2 Restricted Legendaries, and no Banned Legendaries. Pretty wide open.

How do they determine what's banned and what's restricted? Mew's not okay, but Primal Groudon is?

Event-only pokemon are banned. Deoxys is banned too for some reason despite being catchable in ORAS.

The format changes every year, this year they decided to allow in Restricted Legendaries that are otherwise banned. Banned Legendaries are mostly Event Pokemon that are difficult to obtain, or in the case of Deoxys and Arceus because they are difficult to counter.

THESE SMUG ASS KIDS ON THE POKKEN TOURNAMENT STREAM ARE OUT OF THIS WORLD

One of them did the ChuDat pose when they won

Yeah, but if I wanted to see someone play like a 10-year old and get bodied I could just play Pokken myself.

GET IN NIGGAS WE HAVE A MATCH

Nice

Oh shit, I didn't even notice. Match on main channel at last!

Huh.

Bulky Follow Me/Helping Hand probably.

It's actually game 3. We missed game 1 because whoever is running the stream is incapable.

I meant the second match of this game, sorry user

Yeah user, this is match 3 of this game. They each have one win.

why the fuck do legendaries exist as such powerhouses

pokemon is such a shit video game series

It is really annoying, I hate that thing too.

Is there somewhere that shows current brackets?

Scarf Smeargle with a Gravity Prankster is so fun though.

This is acutally a really fun match to watch

Did that Pikachu just Dragon Fist the Machamp?

whew

Pretty much his moveset its based of Haiyachi

Finally another match on the Main channel.

Whoever is running this streaming shit is fucking up so hard, Literally hours between matches, whole channels doing nothing. Seriously fucking pathetic, I hope they get their shit together for day 2.

How do they not know the basic rules of the event they're commentating on?

I his team

Why?

France loves to run.

Overprediction.

I am pretty sure that Yveltal could beat Gengar

Holy fucking shit dude

What the fuck are you doing

You had a perfect lead

Fucking idiot

NOw he attacked gengar with Kanga

He had a free turn 1 No matter what he had done he would be only benefited.

Fucking hell. There's a time and place for crazy read but turn 1 is not one of them, specially with such a commanding lead.

And yet he'll still win. Wew lad.

Yveltal a qt, he is the MVP

Gotta give him that. He recovered from his fuck up.

Let's see if he doesn't fuck it up this time.

Matches going on on the VGC channel now.

NIPPON VS USA

I don't know if I've ever seen anyone enjoy losing as much as this Crossi Garashi guy.

Is it possible to just use gen 2 or 3 rulesets

hahahahaha fuucking gook the rng gods are with him

user, just shut the fuck up.

If we're gonna limit ourselves, then it should be to 5th gen.

Everytime.

Right? Faggots need to lurk moar

Call me weeaboo if you want but but moments and people like these are the ones I wish I were a Nip. They don't have this retarded-ass mentality western players have about muh variety or hurr legends. Whatever the ruleset is they just play it and have fun together. It makes me jelly.

I think you're not a weeaboo, just autistic

Sure.

If you don't understand why people care about such things I believe you are the autistic one here friend. As in, the actual meaning on autistic.

They aren't above it.

Baz vs Kamaal, this match is gonna be tight.

WE BUG TYPE NOW

We start with Double Smeargle.

Let's start those rolls gentlemen.

What is this dank new meta?

I haven't seen a Brit subjugate a black man like that since 1833

Is this nigga crazy?

Niggers are dumb, this is not news.

I didn't expect them to be "I can't even play Pokemon" dumb, but your triple dubs confirm it.

You aren't fooling anybody

France confirmed gay

jumpluff!!!!!!!!!!!

what

MIRROR MATCH

That is 87.5% gay

SLEEP POWDER EVERYWHERE

That's like saying that liking girls is 50% gay because half of all humans are male.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA JUMPLUFF POTY!

No he's saying there's an 87.5% chance that the picture is gay because there's an 87.5% chance it's male, dumbass

we're hitting levels of cancer that shouldn't even be possible

how fucking new are you? VGC has been a thing since 2009.

wtf I hate Jumpluff now

No, I meant it that it is 87.5% gay, I went to college

how fucking new are you? cancer has been a thing since the dawn of mankind

Xern wakes this turn. Calling it now.

fag

I hope this cunt loses (later)

You can't beat them. No one beats them.

What a time to be alive

fucking gook

He's not Korean, retard

wew
What were they thinking making Fennekin more likely to be male anyway. It evolves into a fucking fox witch.

god fucking damn it why can't I find my blast-kun gif of the squirtles being fed by a conveyor belt into a trashcan, it would have been perfect

I'm pretty sure Pokemon tournaments have existed for the entire life of the franchise in Japan.

I remember tournaments for Gen 1 in the US while I was still a kid, faggots just want to shitpost and bitch.

This

nuggetbridge.com/blogs/entry/1391-a-history-of-japanese-competitive-pokemon-1996-and-1997/

All the starters are more likely to be male, that way only few people can easily breed them, though of course ditto throws that out the window and just makes it a mild pain for when you want egg moves.

In RSE's code there's implications they were planning on giving out ribbons for regional tournaments as far back as 2003. This never happened, and none of those text strings appear in any Gen 4 game or later. Heck, they changed some unused ribbons in the code as they went along too. I should know, I did way too much research on this shit.

Im not a really big fan of the pokemon tournaments so pardon me for asking this

Why is it allowed to use legendary pokemon ?

Rules changes every year. Not all legendaries are overpowered or even good. This time they are letting you use 2 Cover Legendaries.

Why do you fags keep asking this question instead of looking up the rulesets of every VGC season?

The VGC didn't formally start until 2009, but there were plenty of proto-VGC like events before then like the Journey Across America events and the subsequent 10th anniversary party where Hulk Hogan attended

Ruleset changes every year and this year they allow 2 cover legendaries per team. Those are usually banned. This is the first time since 2010 that they've been allowed in official tourneys.

At least he asked instead of sperging about legends like pretty much everyone does.

What was the 2014 ruleset that ended up with Pachirisu as the WORLD CHAMPION

Oh, I see. Was it like that from GSC onward, or was the lopsided ratio introduced in a later gen? I haven't played a Pokemon game since gen 3 so I'm pretty behind on the mechanics.

Interesting. Lots of Nintendo properties were ahead of their time with shit that wouldn't be practical until wifi, the internet, and (kill me now) "gamer culture" had penetrated further with normalfags.

Only Pokemon that were in the Kalosdex were allowed. Pachirisu became a viable option that year thanks to that ruleset which made him one of the very few Follow Me users allowed therefore allowing him to fulfill a niche he would be overshadowed any other moment.

Next year should be Aloladex only ruleset so things should be bound to be a bit more interesting again. Restriction breeds creativity as least up to a certain degree.

Yep, it was introduced in Gen 2, I'm playing Gen 2 as we speak grinding out Chikorita eggs for a shiny and way more males than females. You should check out the series again, Gen 4 was the Physical/Special Attack split, well worth playing something after that for the joy of a Special Hyper Beam and a physical Fire Punch.

God, I fucking hate JWittz and the neverending Kermit impression that is his voice.

I think we found your problem. Switch over to VGC channel.

Seeing Hitmontop makes me happy. He still endures after all these years. I hope he gets Sucker Punch back someday.

THis is one weird match

I CHIMP

Wrong thread faggot.

I know, I just got here and clicked the first link assuming it was going to be vidya only to be immediately greeted by that giant kike droning on about cards. It just ruined my mood to hear that awful voice, even if by mistake.

As OP I apologize for your suffering. JWittz is horrible.

Is normalfag still wordfiltered?
Hopefully

Thank god

Man, this Hitmontop is really putting in work. Even if it is just switching out.

Hitmontop was the hero of that round.

only pussies forfeit

wew

If it was the card game I could understand. This seems like shit. Literally only Arena FPS can be played competitively without being cancer.

Pokemon has been played competitively since it was launched. You are the only cancer here (1).

The card game is part of it try reading the OP

These interview never stop being awkward

Interesting, that sounds like it would help vary the movesets up a bit.

I don't have a 3DS, but I do have a DS with a flashcart. Which gen would you recommend I try?

Go for either Platinum, HGSS and BW+BW2. The first two are Gen 4 and the latter two are Gen 5.

HGSS is a remake of the Gen 2 games so it should be a perfect follow-up if you've only played Gen 1 games.

HG/SS or Platinum are excellent (re)entry points.

Plat -> HGSS -> BW-> B2W2

For gen 5, either go all White or all Black, because it was meant to be that way.

Avoid DP like slow aids.

EVERY JAPANESE PLAYER ON THE STREAM HAS WON

How embarrassing. Specially considering how Japan sends the less players to Worlds every year.

Their qualification system is all kinds of fucked up compared to the rest of the world where it's easy peazy to get an invitation.

Doesn't that just guarantee that the ones that do make it are their very best? Of course they're winning at even higher rates if that's true.

Isn't that exact reason they dominate?

They have to work harder and face stronger competition to qualify.

One of the messed up things about Japan system is that they only play Bo1 while the rest of the world plays Bo2 and one of the worst thing about Bo1 is that gimmicky teams that rely on surprise factor are much more rewarding because of that instead of consistent play. They pretty much play a completely different game than the rest of the world.

And despite that they still dominate. You have to admire the Nips.

I mean Bo3

Whatever you mean, you're gonna have to breakdown for me.

Best of 1, a single match decides the winner.
Best of 3, Whoever wins two matches first wins.

You'd think Japan would get to set the rules to follow for the rest of the world when it comes to Pokemon.

Instead of a points system where they have to get X amount of points to get an invite the Nip system is much more severe.

To qualify for worlds they have to top in qualifier tourney. And to qualify for this qualifier tourney they also have to top on a previous tourney. And it goes without saying that these tourneys are very limited in number unlike the rest of the world that has premier challenges, regionals and nationals in big amounts to collect points.

Japan's scene is surprisingly grassroots. You'd think they would get a much better treatment considering all. I have no idea why their system is so different and ruthless in comparison.

Here's how their "qualifier" went last year.

And here's one example of their Grassroot tournaments. It's one big National circuit that goes during the whole season with tons of qualier tourneys all over the country for one big one at the end of it all. Quite amazing in comparison to the West where there's nothing of the sort.

nuggetbridge.com/blogs/entry/496-japans-battle-road-gloria-circuit-qualifiers-complete-team-details-and-usage-statistics/

nuggetbridge.com/blogs/entry/500-japans-battle-road-gloria-national-finals-results-team-details-statistics-and-review/

REMOVE SMEARGLE

Ouch

I'm just realizing that it is past 8pm and this is still going. There was way too many invites this year.

It's on the west coast, man, it's like 6 there.

I could be wrong but I think TCG is done for the day on main channel, so once this 30 minute break is over it should be all VGC on the main channel as well as the VGC channel.

Still, the amount of time it has gone for has been longer than previous years day 1 iirc. There's 2 flights and everything this year for Masters and I'm certain that hasn't happened before.

bird starters a best

Did I fall in to a warp and back to Gen 2?

Holy hell I had no idea Zapdos with Static was legal now

That must have stung

Suicune is surprising me most. I hadn't seen one this whole year until now.

RNG taunting the Smeragle player.

Static Zapdos actually just came out like a few months ago. Email exclusive. I've seen a few Suicunes mostly because it gets tailwind.

==GOD BLESS THE RNG GODS=

That was intense.

I wonder if things like LoL or CS also have this sort of awkward as hell interviews too.

They do, every esport does.
But they vary a lot on how awkward they are, most CSGO players are pretty normal for instance, while most LoL players are autismal as hell, and then you have some games in between like most fighting games, Dota, Starcraft…

While we wait for the next match, thoughts on this?

Yeah, he's a retarded furry, but it's the first video I found on it. Plus he really upsets the Smogon community, so that's amusing.

He triggers anyone with half a neuron because of how stupid he and his videos are.

What are you, triggered or something?

One or two more rounds and we should be done for today.

Hi Verlisify

is this a championship legal pokemon?

About as legal as Reshiram

Sorry, I don't wear a choker. But Hi Smogon.

What a madman.

how does it feel that you're all watching a competition that Chris Chan is watching with you tonight

Absolute madmen.

Focus sas

God damn I love transform on Smeargle.

At least he's concerned with cheating that would actually matter this time, usually it's just him being asspained about competitive shinies. I can't help but feel bad for his actual fans that are just there for the retarded sets or whatever, he's been going on these autistic rants a lot more frequently lately.

That's actually sad. I assume a lot of his youtube followers must be extremely young.

that shit triggers me hard

Right, what else screams "I Powersaved/injected Pokemon" more?

whats wrong with not hatching alot of eggs? Or is that too many? I don't know.

Not like anyone cares about that. Not even TCPi does. It's an open secret at this point that everyone and their mom injects their shit.

is injecting illegal?

Let's not forget that our lauded 3 time world Champion himself was caught red handed. Yeah, no one cares.

breeding is so fucking easy nowdays, you can get a 6iv pokemon in less of 2 days if you dont have a ditto

The implication is that one has to hatch quite a few eggs to get a good Pokemon for competitive use, and for multiple different Pokemon, not only 2 eggs.

Yes, it's just straight up save manipulation, so it's cheating.

I don't. Breeding is piss easy, easier than hacking your 3DS or spending money on a shitty Powersaves that has garbage software and support

So when they see that these people only have two eggs hatched, do they not get suspicious/launch an investigation on the player's party? Or do they not care enough?

Kinda, but it is literally impossible to differentiate between a legit and an injected Pokemon as long as you inject it properly.

No matter how easy breeding will become injecting will always be easier. The only way injecting will end is for Gamefreak to release an official injecting app or something like that.

I'm referring to the people who go to official events, bub. Specially this year because fuck soft-resetting for good IV legends. And god help you if you need one with hidden power.

They don't care.

Also, some players for some reason like to have a cart for playing normally and a "clean" cart for tourneys. This used to happen back during VGC14 before injecting for Gen 6 existed. Why? No idea.

There are reasonable reasons:

I mean it's actually hard to call if they're cheaters. I think they are because it's really common though.

I play VGC, faglord. I just never placed this year because I don't like the flow.

They don't care enough, plus the player could always go "hurr I traded it from another game".

I hope bottle caps fix this. Hidden Powers will still be bullshit, but if we can grind for bottle caps to get max IVs for legendaries at level 100 the playing field will be a lot more even for us non-hacking peasants.

My bad then. I apologize.

How did you do in previous years? Did you top anything or were you just a random nobody?

Substitute Groudon is proving to be a thing.

Is that a girl on main stream? Girls play competitive pokemon?

it's actually a transexual

I'm amazed Trista is on Day 2 already. I thought she was just a meme player and only known about because she hung out with the cool guys and, you know, being a grill. She must have gotten real good since then.

These types of players likely have both versions of the game for trading purposes, one for your big boy fights and another for experimentation/breeding/whatever.

Thats a man baby, the poll came up for voting even called him Tristan

She's not day 2 yet, this Bo3 decides it, but 5-2 isn't half bad for a goil.

I should have known, Pokemon is Trap: The Game.

At this point in society its best to assume every women in male dominated field like competitive vidya is a man.

Oh, it's 8 rounds? I thought it was 7 as it usually is.

Hope she loses because otherwise the hurr girl winning-posting will be insufferable just like it was when Sejun won with Pachirisu.

Could you guys explain to me why substitute is good?
I've only played pokemon casually as a kid and teenager, only the first 4 gens, as they came out.
Was it always good? Did it change and is good now? To me it just looks like you're trading a turn for nothing, since you're losing 25% of your HP to make a substitute with 25% of your total HP, but from what I'm seeing, there must be a ton of hidden benefits.

It's been good for a while, I didn't use it much Gen 1 but as of Gen 2 when toxic stall became the game it got super useful. The key thing about it is you block 1 hit kos, and statuses, and stat drops.

feminists are WAAAAAAY ahead of you on that one.

IT'S A MAN BABY !

Reminds me of how many trannies there are on the FGC

Okay. Are you guys just memeing or is Trista is really a man? I honest to god always thought it was a girl.

It's all down to this gents. Does Tumblr make it to day 2?

I really don't know to be honest. But google gave me no answers about that.

Registered to the event with the name Tristan soo

???

Legal name: Tristan Alan Medine

Poll that came up as the match got going, who will win

Legal name > feefee pretend names

Welp

Oh well then.

Time to timestall, it's the only way he can save it

Gravity means Dark Void hits every time. This match is retarded close.

would it be considered scummy to spam-sleep your opponent for 15 minutes straight?

Nope. It's a legit strategy. Nothing against it on the rules. Who cares if a bunch of nerds says it's scummy as long as it gives you the win?

REMOVE TUMBLR

NANANANA
NANANANA
HEY-EY-HEY
GOOD BYE

whats with the double stream? I am watching the oras stream, so whats the good one?

I'm switching between and going where the action is unless someone says something interesting in stream.

BLOWN
THE
FUCK
OUT

Man, that was a good set. I'll have to admit Trista did some good reads.

in here**

I did the same thing user, its also funny that they think Trista is actually a girl.

I bet all the futanari fans come from there

Really? This is worlds you do what you gotta do

Although I haven't been to that site since this one opened up, no idea how bad it has actually gotten.

Sasuga cuckchan

I like how the Japanese kid on main stream gets super hyped everytime something positive happens.

That is some quality salt right there.

cuckchan probing to be salty as fuck

HAHAHAHA

Shohei praying to the RNG gods is great. I need to start doing that.

RIP Jeudy

Asians are his kryptonite

A JAPANESE PLAYER HAS NEVER LOST ON STREAM

The mannerisms on this jap is great

Wait, he won one? Fuck.

Go Nip guy. You can do it.

Why the fuck is the Pokemon stream showcasing a different fight from the ORAS stream?

Nip guy is so emotive

Two streams because the main channel switches between TCG, VGC and Pokken

oh fuck

Jeudy is being so butthurt, this is great, not even the match, just the way the players are emoting.

GO EVASION GODS

FUCK

A JAPANESE PLAYER HAS LOST ON STREAM
TO AN AMERICAN
IT'S HIROSHIMA ALL OVER AGAIN

The day is ending hot.

no one has a Blissey tank? sad.

This is a rough format for tanking or stalling in any way.

Speaking of Cresselia, you guys think it will have anything to do with sun/moon? It is the lunar pokemon after all.

wew

And people say RNG has little to do with the game

I don't think anyone who understands the games on a fundamental level has said that, RNG is half the damn game.

2 JAPANESE PLAYERS HAVE LOST ON STREAM

And that closes it out for the day. Day 2 will heat things up considerably as a lot of national champions as well as last years champion and finalists will be added to the competition.

What was your favorite match today guys?

On the ORAS stream earlier another American read a cookie-cutter Big 6 Japanese player like a book with a Choice Scarf Smergle.

I'm a mark for Barry Anderson, and he had 2 good matches on stream today. One had a transform smeargle that became a geomancied-up Xernas. Super fun.

Fuck me, so much for Japandomination

The one thing VGC does right is killing stall

top tier loli wins

Where's the autism mods that take out all the RNG aspects of the game when you need your autism fix.

last I checked it was actually koreans that did weird things.

We live now

Japs are good at setting a meta and perfecting it but once it gets broken it takes them a long time to adapt. Shit happens in pretty much every game that has mutiple nations on the same relative skill level. Its fascinating in a way

Arash you madman

Wait, no. It's the other guy running it.

Just so you guys know, I made a fresh thread for day 2 because I'm pretty sure this one is in autosage.